• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Now that all rumors are dead again. And nothing so far has stood up to take its place, who do we think is the likely remaining fighters? I am going to place bets on

Eliwood from fire emblem
Rillaboom from Pokemon.
Despite SharkLord SharkLord predictions, we didn't get a Euden Mii Costume. I know I should probably wait until Fighter 10 is shown off before officially sealing the bet, but...

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So...

View attachment 305864

sweats over Five Year Plan.
I can’t believe the 5 Year Plan thing is still going on. It was leaked like a year or two before it ever started being brought up with Smash; major websites reported on it, if Smash was a part of it we’d have known by them. It’s clear that someone saw this leak & decided to add Smash to it as a “Dude, trust me” scenario.

It doesn’t rule out Crash, but the 5 Year Plan has nothing to do with Smash lmao

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
So I've been hearing a lot of conversation about Euden being repped in smash bros. Was there some kind of rumor about him being included? I've played Dragalia and wouldn't be opposed to his inclusion, but I never saw anything that made him stand out as a likely candidate.

zferolie

Smash Hero
And I've been arguing against those theories as they are flawed. If Sakurai wanted to be as accurate as he could be, why can Min Min reflect stuff because she can bat away her opponent's arms in her games, but she can't actually bat away her own arms? Why does Steve only need a single material to make an entire block or weapon? Why is Sephiroth, the mightest super soldier known to man, incredibly frail and slow? Why are Pyra and Mythra able to freely use the full extent of their abilities without a Driver or mashing the B button? I'm only using FP2 characters for this example but denying a Hunter for not being accurate enough is laughably bad. Again, a trapper character fits Monster Hunter perfectly as the Hunters typically rely on tools to immobilize what they're hunting
Those seem to be sacrifices to make them fit in a fighting game but they do feel still pulled from theirnown game.

I meant more that tjese new ones do feel more accurate to their games compaired to some older characters. Roy playing nothing like hos game counterpart, sonic being nothing but spins dash, original pit in brawl, ness usong non of his own specials, same for lucas.

I was saying that on general the accuracy has imporved. And that being said a trapper style hunter would be fitting for a hunter in smash. I do WANT a hunter in smash and they deserve it. But clearly someone at nintendo or capcom doesnt for sone reason or another

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I've been hearing a lot of conversation about Euden being repped in smash bros. Was there some kind of rumor about him being included? I've played Dragalia and wouldn't be opposed to his inclusion, but I never saw anything that made him stand out as a likely candidate.
He's owned by Nintendo, therefore he's likely. That's the whole discussion

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not in that way! You know exactly what I meant.
Yeah, I was just playing. But there's been stuff I've been positive about. I thought we would get upgrades after the first pass. I thought we were set to get a big character for FP7. I still think we're going to get at least one more. I thought getting a proper Direct with a character reveal in early 2021 was not unlikely. I thought western characters were inevitable back when that was contentious. I thought DLC would be full of notable names when people thought it would be all promotional. I think particularly violent or suggestively-dressed characters can be made to work. I was on board with characters like Cloud and Master Chief well before they became "acceptable".

The scene is just wildly pervaded with suspect leaks and misguided theories, so being realistic means usually being negative. And I can show you the receipts where that was the right call.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If this pass’s theme is “filling in the missing pieces/adding in reps who couldn’t make it for Basegame/FP1”, then is that Chun-Li rumor more credible, especially considering MH is very likely out of the running now? Personally I want Tails or Dr. Eggman, but a Crash/Chun-Li finale would make for a very interesting pass at the end of the day!
(EDIT: Actually, as the rumor goes, it was supposed to be Lloyd, Yuri and Chun-Li in base and they got cut, and right now Lloyd is the only returning costume that’s missing. Are we looking at a potential Lloyd/Chun-Li finale?)

Separate thought, but are we just going to get one character reveal at E3, or is it possible that they give us both?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I had a theory that Euden would be part of Pyra's Mii wave, due to multiple similarities between XC2 and Dragalia. Surprise, surprise, there's nothing Dragalia and nothing but Capcom. C chocolatejr9 , the resident Dragalia guy, has hope from that, as Euden dodged a potential bullet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Those seem to be sacrifices to make them fit in a fighting game but they do feel still pulled from theirnown game.

I meant more that tjese new ones do feel more accurate to their games compaired to some older characters. Roy playing nothing like hos game counterpart, sonic being nothing but spins dash, original pit in brawl, ness usong non of his own specials, same for lucas.

I was saying that on general the accuracy has imporved. And that being said a trapper style hunter would be fitting for a hunter in smash. I do WANT a hunter in smash and they deserve it. But clearly someone at nintendo or capcom doesnt for sone reason or another
Monster Hunter would also need some sacrifices, that's my point, they wouldn't need more work done than literally any other character.

I know, hence why I used the newest characters as comparisons and not the ones from the rushed game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have only heard of this game 5 minutes ago yet this is confirmed better than Smash. It also has rollback so clearly, Smash has finally met it's match
I've got a good feeling that Miriam is certain to be making more guest appearances in games! :D

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If this pass’s theme is “filling in the missing pieces/adding in reps who couldn’t make it for Basegame/FP1”, then is that Chun-Li rumor more credible, especially considering MH is very likely out of the running now? Personally I want Tails or Dr. Eggman, but a Crash/Chun-Li finale would make for a very interesting pass at the end of the day!
(EDIT: Actually, as the rumor goes, it was supposed to be Lloyd, Yuri and Chun-Li in base and they got cut, and right now Lloyd is the only returning costume that’s missing. Are we looking at a potential Lloyd/Chun-Li finale?)

Separate thought, but are we just going to get one character reveal at E3, or is it possible that they give us both?
Does Chun-Li fill in a missing piece, though? It's not like the base game had a shortage of Street Fighter content (whereas Final Fantasy content was conspicuously absent and the Xenoblade series got surprisingly little for how much it's grown) - there were plenty of songs, spirits, and a new playable character. (not much content from SF games other than Street Fighter 2, admittedly)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Currently, Sega is the Only Veteran Company that hasn't gotten a costume in FP2 yet

Namco is the only Veteran company that haven't gotten any Completely New made costumes. Capcom, Konami, Sega and Square got Brand new costumes, but with Square and Sega they were with characters, not separate

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Now that all rumors are dead again. And nothing so far has stood up to take its place, who do we think is the likely remaining fighters? I am going to place bets on

Eliwood from fire emblem
Rillaboom from Pokemon.
The day that two FE reps are added for DLC is the day that the Smash fandom collapses in on itself like a dying star.

Edit: Two unique FE characters anyway.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So at this point, how is current speculation?
I would say

-Lloyd is still in the game, might have implications for either Tales of, or perhaps another Sword character
-Capcom will be much less talked about, and Monster Hunter is now dead
-Some people will have theories about figurines, though Lots of characters have figurines

Otherwise I don't think this presentation changed much at all

Pillow

Smash Lord

The two leaks don’t have much to do with each other so I wouldn’t say the chun leak is more credible. It’d also super vague and noncommittal with the information it gave so it’s hard to put much stock into it one way or another. If Mii costumes actually indicate anything then it is likely that neither Chun Li or Tales is coming as playable characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I will say that it’s not looking good for a third pass right now. But I could see the recent rumors/reports of a major new Switch model coming soon being a good thing for it. A third pass could get a lot of eyes on the new, shiny Switch.
I don't really believe that. A new Switch that's stronger can obviously benefit from titles getting stronger, but I don't think people would want to spend like 130 bucks for a single title on said stronger hardware

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I will say that it’s not looking good for a third pass right now. But I could see the recent rumors/reports of a major new Switch model coming soon being a good thing for it. A third pass could get a lot of eyes on the new, shiny Switch.
At the very least, I think it'd be a good business decision to release a Super Switch or whatever with a complete version of the game; If you're late to the party, you'll need to pay twice as much for the base game and all the DLC fighters. Doing what SwSh did and releasing it with all the DLC on the cartridge would be a pretty reasonable decision.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At the very least, I think it'd be a good business decision to release a Super Switch or whatever with a complete version of the game; If you're late to the party, you'll need to pay twice as much for the base game and all the DLC fighters. Doing what SwSh did and releasing it with all the DLC on the cartridge would be a pretty reasonable decision.
Would that mean

that future dlc would be exclusive to this hypothetical Ult DX, or am I missing something? With of course vanilla Ult’s dlc already on Ult DX’s cart

sue me this is making my brain hurt

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ok but SwoShi doesn't give you a discount like literally every other GOTY version of a game, it's the same price as buying a regular copy and then the DLC

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, I honestly think that the Project Plan might already be in discussion/Production for the Next Smash game

Ultimate's Project Plan was completed when the Final Smash Presentation was aired in December of 2015, and we never knew until after Ultimate was revealed. Production and actual development on the game didn't start to months after the plan was completed

I think all the rumors of these negotiations for Specific characters might be for Future Smash game. If 3rd party Collab's are what's bringing the hype to Smash, than they need to make sure these collabs are planned out and sorted so no mishaps in licensing happens

If Nintendo is gonna make a New Switch Revision, or perhaps an actual Upgrade, they may want something Smash related to get people on board, and they got to make sure people are gonna want to Buy that New Smash and stuff

Paraster

Smash Lord

Eliwood from fire emblem
Rillaboom from Pokemon.
These aren't my definitive "most likely," but the selections from my top picks that I feel have the best chance.

Reimu or Quote: Both are iconic Japanese indie games. Reimu is bigger in Japan and much more currently relevant while Quote isn't as laser-focused on specific regions and is closer with Nintendo. Reimu would be a light character with disjointed gohei attacks, multiple projectiles, and tools to counter-zone. Quote would be a Mega Man-style gunner who primarily uses the Polar Star and the Blade in his normals, while his more esoteric/powerful guns would fill out his specials.

Gordon Freeman or Heavy: Would be very out of nowhere, but both their games are very iconic, and would give representation to the shooter genre. Gordon is more iconic and his game more influential, but Heavy would fit into the artstyle of Smash better. Gordon would utilize his crowbar for melee attacks and alien technology for his ranged moves. Heavy would be a heavy brawler (I like BrawlFan1's concept of him using Russian martial arts) with similarly powerful-yet-slow ranged attacks as specials.

I'm unsure how likely another first party is, but if they're on the table, I think Bandana Waddle Dee also has a decent chance. (I'd like to say Porky and Isaac, but I doubt them unless there's some way Nintendo can make money off their properties in the near future.)

Honorable mentions that aren't among my list of wanted characters are Arle, Crash, and Euden. And I consider Lloyd something of a wild card; no idea how likely he is.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Monster Hunter would also need some sacrifices, that's my point, they wouldn't need more work done than literally any other character.

I know, hence why I used the newest characters as comparisons and not the ones from the rushed game.
Very true. Sadly it seems someone at either nintendo or capcom feels otherwise. I was mostly trying to guess their reasoning why they havent put a hunter in and just the boss and mii costumes

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I was looking at all the Mii costume waves, checking out the "rogue" costumes so far. (I'm defining rogue costumes as a costume from a company different from the fighter it arrives with).

Interestingly, none of the companies with rogue costumes have had a fighter as DLC to this point. With the one exception of Team Rocket, but that doesn't surprise me because Nintendo plays by their own rules. Now, this is simply precedent and could be broken with the last two fighters. But right now I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely we see a Capcom/Namco/Konami/etc fighter show up.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So my current 2 predictions:

1. Kosuke Fujishima designed character
Lloyd's smash 4 mii costume has a copyright for Kosuke which meant he had to be consulted to add the mii costume so maybe the Lloyd mii is coming with a character desgined with him. So in short, a Tales or Sakura Wars character

2. 3rd party character from a stingy company
Since there's 2 mii waves left and 1 more returning mii costume, it's reasonable to think that one of the two waves will only have miis from the company of the respective company like wave 2 and 8 who probably has some degree of control over negoiations like with Square Enix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom