• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been thinking about that Lloyd/Chun-Li leak. Is there anything that deconfirms it right now? Because we do have two fighters left and they do make sense. Chun-Li is a good pick for E3 and Tales Of is very popular in Japan. Of course I'm not going to put much stock into this since I did just put stock into the concert leak and now that's dead too so I just got burned by a fake leak yet again.
I don't think anything can kill that rumor. It's just characters who were supposedly planned for base; Nothing says they absolutely need to come back. We can go the whole DLC without anything at all from Chun-Li, Yuri, and Lloyd, but it won't be dead until Sakurai confirms there was nothing for them in the base game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Case in point.

Well when you say ignorant things about a character and put them down it's natural for people to tell you why you're wrong.

What? I was saying there was a news article back during mvc3 that said they were against putting a character in that game. Its not bad to then infer based on other actions.

And not just that. I always felt the monster hunter games were more about the monsters then the hunters. I felt that rathalos as a boss best showed off the series myself

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
One thing that Lloyd potentially tolds us about is that is likely that one of the two remaining fighters left if another sword user. It can be any type of swordfighter like a katana, dual blades, sword and shield, etc.

There is a lot of potential candidates there like Ryu Hayabusa, Chosen Undead, Adol, maybe other Tales of character like Yuri, Katalina, so it’s difficult to narrrow to few choices.

Another posibility is maybe another RPG character that doesn’t need to use a sword like a Pokémon rep.

BTW Considering this time we got 4 costumes, I predicte that the last 2 waves will includes 5 costumes to compensate and be a mean of 5 per wave

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I have only heard of this game 5 minutes ago yet this is confirmed better than Smash. It also has rollback so clearly, Smash has finally met it's match
Yooka & Laylee are also in that game. Clearly now we need Beck back to reunite the trio

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I have only heard of this game 5 minutes ago yet this is confirmed better than Smash. It also has rollback so clearly, Smash has finally met it's match
They have TOEJAM AND EARL?!
Playstation truly does what Ninten-don't.

TraaP

Smash Cadet
So I didn't get to catch the Air time, but I'm not trying to look at other posts because unsure if anything happen that's very Exciting, So does anyone happen to have a link to the Presentation, cause I know if I go on Youtube, I'm gonna have reaction videos in my timeline
In case you still needed it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What? I was saying there was a news article back during mvc3 that said they were against putting a character in that game. Its not bad to then infer based on other actions.

And not just that. I always felt the monster hunter games were more about the monsters then the hunters. I felt that rathalos as a boss best showed off the series myself
So you saw an article you knew was about a game that literally had it's 10th anniversary a few weeks ago and never considered this could have changed when the sequel did indeed include a hunter?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1614879124109.png

The issue with this argument is that Rathalos is already in the game. There was no reason to suggest that they couldn't expand on the content that was already there - even if Rathalos represented the series "best". Like yeah, Cloud represents FF7 best too but Sephiroth is also here.

Doesn't matter at this point anyway. Just wish people wouldn't create these silly reasons for why MH isn't here.

Well, too bad :p
Very mature.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I've been thinking about that Lloyd/Chun-Li leak. Is there anything that deconfirms it right now? Because we do have two fighters left and they do make sense. Chun-Li is a good pick for E3 and Tales Of is very popular in Japan. Of course I'm not going to put much stock into this since I did just put stock into the concert leak and now that's dead too so I just got burned by a fake leak yet again.
That depends; did Nintendo respond to it by trying to take it down? If so, then that can make the leak more credible.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That depends; did Nintendo respond to it by trying to take it down? If so, then that can make the leak more credible.
Nintendo only ever went for leaks that had direct gameplay footage or were caused by Nintendo themselves, a random 4chan post that has the same credibility as every other 4chan post isn't worth taking down

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It was a rumor from around the base game era that supposedly mentioned characters who were in the planning stages. It caught on because it mentioned Hero (Assumed to be from the base game stages, though we need a source on that one) and Steve (Confirmed to be around that time). It also noted Sephiroth as a Squeenix candidate who was dropped for Hero. Lloyd, Yuri, and Chun-Li were mentioned by the rumor as well, and so with Second Chance Theory, they got a lot of attention.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So you saw an article you knew was about a game that literally had it's 10th anniversary a few weeks ago and never considered this could have changed when the sequel did indeed include a hunter?
Things could have changed yes. It just didnt seem like they planned to have a fighter in smash at all. Just having Rathalos as a boss does feel like they only planned for a boss.

Again, SEEMS like is the key here. We don't know for sure unless we get concrete info

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Disappointed, but not too surprised about MH. I felt it was a coin flip between whether those costumes or Lloyd were appear here and it just so happened that it landed on them this time around. The fact we got a Felyne hat in addition is nice though, along with an Arthur costume. As for what it means for Capcom, I'm not too confident either as this wave being pretty much dedicated to their characters doesn't look too good.

Lloyd lives for another day and he's the last one standing of the costumes. Obviously that doesn't mean much considering we just got Geno and MH back to back, but him still being in the running gives him a chance nonetheless.

As already said, Sakurai's comments doesn't fill me with confidence on a FP3 as he's speaking as if this will be the last ones he'll work on. Obviously things can change, but it'll be good to temper expectations for now.

zferolie

Smash Hero
View attachment 305905

The issue with this argument is that Rathalos is already in the game. There was no reason to suggest that they couldn't expand on the content that was already there - even if Rathalos represented the series "best". Like yeah, Cloud represents FF7 best too but Sephiroth is also here.

Doesn't matter at this point anyway. Just wish people wouldn't create these silly reasons for why MH isn't here.

Very mature.

Yeah i know they got added to MvCI and i loved them in that game. But sadly the game sold poorly due to mismanagement from capcom and Disney, which could have burnes the company. Just speculation.

Honestly, as i said in a different post, my main reasoning why i never felt a hunter would be in this game(unless they did something super unique like multiple hunters as different characters with different weapons), was that the monsters were tje stars of the game and show, and rathalos boss felt like a perfect way to show that off

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Things could have changed yes. It just didnt seem like they planned to have a fighter in smash at all. Just having Rathalos as a boss does feel like they only planned for a boss.

Again, SEEMS like is the key here. We don't know for sure unless we get concrete info
Regardless of what the full intentions behind MonHun's content are, that mvc3 thing literally cannot possibly apply or add to any argument

Firox

Smash Master
I know this is a moot point now but you are aware that Monster Hunter is more than a sword fighter right? There is also insect glaive, hammer, lance, gunlance, charge blade, etc. I'm sick of seeing this comment because Monster Hunter has a lot of unique weapons that would make them very different from Byleth. Byleth can only do maybe a 1/4 of what Monster Hunter can do.
I mean, Insect glaive, switchaxe or gunlance alone would set MH apart from the likes of Byleth. Then you've got the barrel bombs and trap placements. I'd say MH would be more akin to an ancient-style Snake than Byleth. To be totally frank, those that say "MH is just another Byleth" are simply outing themselves as having never legit played Monster Hunter before. That, or they simply have a gross lack of imagination.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
eh, I don't think it's worth it to get too heated over Monster Hunter. Everyone has characters they like or don't like, and no amount of arguing is going to change their opinion. What's done is done, and the only thing to do is accept the loss with as much grace as can be managed, voice support for the character in the next game, and hope for better luck next time.

Plus people will probably mod Monster Hunter in later lol

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I managed to watch it

I think Capcom is dead now. They got New Made Mii Costumes, but they did not come with New Capcom characters, so they are done personally

Lloyd is very interesting. I think depending on what Pyra/Mythra's DLC Tourney is, might suggest some stuff. If it's based on bladed fighters and we get that Swordfighter only tourney I know many people are surprised hasn't happened yet, I think Lloyd will come back, but if it isn't than yeah it's very interesting. I know a Certain user on Gamefaqs is gonna continue winning, and I bet the Lloyd thread is either breathing a sigh of relief or very worried for the future, or both

If he's still a Costume, they might also still be saving it for Swordfighter related character, or Another Namco character, so there's that

Also did the Announcement things line up. It suggested around 6 Mii Costumes and some 2 extra things, but I didn't see anything in presentation that suggests any of that. Was that data thing for once wrong?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah i know they got added to MvCI and i loved them in that game. But sadly the game sold poorly due to mismanagement from capcom and Disney, which could have burnes the company. Just speculation.

Honestly, as i said in a different post, my main reasoning why i never felt a hunter would be in this game(unless they did something super unique like multiple hunters as different characters with different weapons), was that the monsters were tje stars of the game and show, and rathalos boss felt like a perfect way to show that off
That literally makes no sense. Might as well not use Sigma, Ultron, Thanos, Captain Marvel, etc ever again in a future MvC game for the same reason when people were actually thrilled to play those characters

D

Deleted member

The Hunters are dead, and the monsters/Byleth debates still rage on.

We're never getting out of here, are we?
We will if we just actively ignore anyone still bringing it up and just move the focus elsewhere lol.

I know Pythra releases today, but do we have a time frame? Is it going to be at like 10:00 at night so I can just do one match and then leave it for Friday instead? Or are we looking at like an afternoon drop?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As already said, Sakurai's comments doesn't fill me with confidence on a FP3 as he's speaking as if this will be the last ones he'll work on. Obviously things can change, but it'll be good to temper expectations for now.
Well to be fair he's not gonna say "well, there's 2 fighters left... haha, unless...?". If there's not an official statement of more DLC characters, he's not gonna say anything that could hint towards that.

Not saying we'll get more DLC, I actually think Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but at the same time I don't think Nintendo would let Sakurai say anything if there are more characters coming before the actual announcement.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
We will if we just actively ignore anyone still bringing it up and just move the focus elsewhere lol.

I know Pythra releases today, but do we have a time frame? Is it going to be at like 10:00 at night so I can just do one match and then leave it for Friday instead? Or are we looking at like an afternoon drop?
According to the Nintendo UK video, release is March 5, so its very likely 9 pm est.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Anything that claims to know Sakurai's decisions and especially not adding Geno because fans wanted geno in smash and not a new game shouldn't be taken seriously. Chun Li was just heavy in speculation because Sephiroth broke a "fan rule". Not saying Chun Li isn't possible but Capcom, imo is dead since Monster hunter returned with miis. Lloyd will likely return next wave with a Namco character or another 3rd party... who knows who it will be. But I have to remind people that text leaks have to be fake since even a impressive leaker like Practicalbrush could not leak Pyra or Sephiroth an hour before their presentations. It just proves to me that security is ridiculously tight. Like the guy got info on Steve and Byleth somehow....

I've been the victim of KOS-MOS fake at game awards a bit. I got a little too invested in it and when KOS-MOS popped up in that 5chan one I was not convinced but just rather speculated for fun. I will do the same if she pops up in another fake leak and choose not to believe it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still want my characters that don't become fighters.

I'll take a Hayabusa Swordfighter. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean Gunners. Kunio, Billy/Jimmy Lee Brawlers if they aren't gonna be Fighters.
Hmm... Third-party NES All-Stars as Mii costumes. I could live with that.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, we can probably rule out Capcom characters..though it is a little odd that Street Fighter has never gotten Mii Costumes..I feel like at least Chun-Li should have happened, but I suppose they do need to get the rights from Capcom USA instead of Capcom Co Ltd, so maybe they just didnt want to jump through that extra hoop.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
What has been unique about FP2 is that with every character reveal we have had pretty much no idea what to expect. None of the four characters we have gotten would have been safe guesses back in February of 2020
  • For Min Min, common sentiment was that ARMS lost its chance to have a playable fighter. Not only that, why would they add Min Min over Spring Man, seeing as he's the protagonist
  • For Steve, with Banjo being confirmed for FP1, few expected to get another Microsoft character in the second pass
  • For Sephiroth, many thought we would get Geno or Sora instead or simply thought another Final Fantasy character wouldn't happen
  • For Pyra/Mythra, Rex had been deconfirmed as a Mii Costume in FP1, so why would they go back to Xenoblade 2 and add a character from there? Plus, why add Pyra and Mythra over Rex, seeing as he's the protagonist of the game.
With FP1, we knew pretty much right away that the majority of the pass would be third party, but, for this pass, nothing has seemed predictable, and every character reveal has been a surprise to some extent.
Yeah. Next thing you know Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2 gets announced at E3 lol.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
eh, I don't think it's worth it to get too heated over Monster Hunter. Everyone has characters they like or don't like, and no amount of arguing is going to change their opinion. What's done is done, and the only thing to do is accept the loss with as much grace as can be managed, voice support for the character in the next game, and hope for better luck next time.

Plus people will probably mod Monster Hunter in later lol
Finally someone gets it, i do feel sorry for their fans, like i know they can be different than Byleth, by A LOT, but they would still feel similar one way or another to me so there is no need to make a case for them while i'm around just live with that and we're good lol

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Pyra or Mythra, which character are you leaning towards?
I just wanna bring up this real quick:

I just realized one thing.

After March... are we gonna see a different kind of character loyalists? Specifically, waifu wars between Pyra mains and Mythra mains?

...Sakurai, what have you done
Today, the man himself asked us to choose. Sakurai knew what he was doing when he said that, and then later went all like "I prefer Pyra personally... as a fighter", with a knowing smile on his face. :4pacman:

...But seriously, I'll probably play Mythra most of the time, because my line of thinking was pretty much just like Sakurai's: use Mythra to combo at early percents, then bring out Pyra for the kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom