• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It released a little over a week before Ultimate.

If it was considered at all, it was probably just to assure more conservative members of the team that Joker had an appearance on a Nintendo console. Judging on when the first pass was decided, Q2 was probably unreleased at the time but it's still possible it was discussed. We can only actually speculate how important that is. Regardless, you should double check the release dates so people don't need to keep correcting others on here.
Then it would've been Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Persona Q2

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Found someone working on a neat mod.
I don't even play online so I might mod the Switch soon when this comes out.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Mobile Reps...

Mash from Fate/Grand Order was created for that game

Euden is from a Nintendo mobile game.

Gran/Djeeta are from Granblue which is by Cygames who helped develop Dragalia Lost

I definitely think Fate is an underrated series in speculation, erotic VN origins notwithstanding.

Euden...has pretty much no unique moveset potential. I get there's the "but Sakurai put a ****in' PLANT in this game he can make a moveset for anything!" meme but like, if you take a look at Dragalia Lost there's practically nothing there that isn't already used by a character.
  • His base form in-game is a swordsman who uses fire attacks like :ultroy:
  • His gala (gacha) form in-game is a swordsman who uses light attacks, which admittedly is the most unique thing you could use in a moveset for him.
  • If we want to stretch and have him use the weapons of his party members, then he's using a variety of weapons to fight like :ultbyleth::ultbylethf:
  • The whole "part dragon thing" is covered by :ultcorrin::ultcorrinf:
    • I suppose they could play it like it is in-game where Dragon form is a completely different form, but then we're getting into meter/comeback characters like :ultlittlemac::ultjoker::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ult_terry:
It's not a hard disconfirm, but I definitely think it hurts his chances considering Sakurai and the team are always trying to introduce new, unique movesets with each fighter, especially during DLC.

I wrote about Granblue previously (even if it was an incredibly biased fan-piece), but it's a very large series in Japan and Gran/Djeeta could use a class-change moveset that Sakurai has previously expressed public interest in. If we're getting a mobile rep, I definitely think Granblue is the most likely game we'll see.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Out of sheer curiosity

What would the general consensus here be if King Boo were one of the last three fighters?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's a fun game.

Each challenger pack has a lot of music. Most of the tracks are the original versions but some are remixed.

I want you to take the original track listings for each challenger pack and pick one of the unremixed tracks to remix. No adding brand new tracks. The original has to already be included in the challenger pack.

Here are my picks.

Joker: Battle Hymn of the Soul
Hero: Adventure
Banjo: Freezeezy Peak
Terry: Ne!
Byleth: Fodlan Winds
Min Min: Mausoleum
Steve: Clockwork Crafter (This is Steve's only track that wasn't remixed.)
Sephiroth: JENOVA
Persona: Rivers in the Desert
Dragon Quest:War Cry
Banjo-Kazooie: Freezeezy Peak
Fatal Fury: Tuna
Fire Emblem Three Houses: Blue Skies and a Battle
ARMS: Ribbon Ring
Minecraft: Clockwork Crafter
Final Fantasy: Those Who Fight Further

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Out of sheer curiosity

What would the general consensus here be if King Boo were one of the last three fighters?
Disappointment.

Even among first party characters there are plenty of better choices in my opinion. We have characters like Rex, Waluigi, Elma, Paper Mario, Cinderace or any Gen 8 Pokemon, etc. King Boo's an incredibly mid-level pick, and would only be more disappointing given that he's coming after monumental characters like Steve and Sephiroth.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Just curious, would you count Melmetal as a mobile rep? I think they'd be the only Pokemon rep I'd be excited for but I can't say they would be super interesting.
Yeeeees? They are completely unobtainable in the mainseries games, but in order to catch one, you do have to trade Pokémon from Pokémon GO to Pokémon Lets Go! Pikachu or Pokémon Lets Go! Eevee in order to spawn and catch it back in Pokémon GO.

Because it's Pokémon GO where you obtain the Pokémon in ways other than trading or special distribution, I'd say it is a mobile rep, but like, the Dr. Mario of mobile reps; Sure it counts but people who are into mobile gaming aren't going to be like "yay Representation!".

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I've always felt that if we were getting some kind of Mario character this pass, Nintendo would of fast tracked them to be one of the first characters revealed, to get them out in time for Mario's 35th and also in time for the big Mario themed online tourney they held earlier this month.

So yeah, I don't expect a Mario newcomer at this point.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Out of sheer curiosity

I would be pretty disappointed all things considered. The "Joke" aspect wouldn't work because it is basically Piranha Plant's reveal but ghost themed, even down to the fact that it is a Mario enemy. The entire challenger pack would be small and restrictive. The move set could be unique but that doesn't out weigh the potential that several other First Party picks have.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I love the low poly models! They're adorable and I'm tired of people hating on them. I don't even play with the mii characters but if we got the original ff7 models I might consider...
Same! I mean SEGA allowed it with Virtua Fighter characters, so I'm sure it's most likely a matter of Square-Enix.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess he would be a unique fighter but can't say the idea of yet another Mario enemy as DLC thrills me. I'd be more interested in, say, Pauline.
To be fair, he's the main villain of three games, and a boss character in a few others, so he's not a generic mook like Piranha Plant.

I would be pretty disappointed all things considered. The "Joke" aspect wouldn't work because it is basically Piranha Plant's reveal but ghost themed, even down to the fact that it is a Mario enemy. The entire challenger pack would be small and restrictive. The move set could be unique but that doesn't out weigh the potential that several other First Party picks have.
I dunno, I think his design in the Luigi's Mansion series is quite distinct. So is his design in Super Mario Sunshine but...It's best we didn't speak of that.
1608776213910.png
He's also not a generic enemy, and I wouldn't consider him a joke pick either. I think there's quite a bit of content to pull from for his challenger pack as well with the hotel from Luigi's Mansion 3 making a pretty interesting traveling stage, and various spooky themes from throughout the Super Mario series. The biggest issue would be the Spirits, but that's an issue with all Super Mario characters.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Out of sheer curiosity

I'd be disappointed because my most wanted would be skipped over again. The best thing I can say about King Boo is that his moveset would be unique for Smash, but other than that there are other first party characters that I would love to see over King Boo.

I will say though, the character will definitely have invincibility frames on some of his moves lol
You can't be true to the character without adding that.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Disappointment.

Even among first party characters there are plenty of better choices in my opinion. We have characters like Rex, Waluigi, Elma, Paper Mario, Cinderace or any Gen 8 Pokemon, etc. King Boo's an incredibly mid-level pick, and would only be more disappointing given that he's coming after monumental characters like Steve and Sephiroth.
I guess he would be a unique fighter but can't say the idea of yet another Mario enemy as DLC thrills me. I'd be more interested in, say, Pauline.
All very fair critique. I think I’m definitely in the major majority in being a huge supporter of his, but all this is very reasonable criticism to the idea, ultimately I think he would kind of be a bad idea for these reasons, though his moveset would be super unique I feel. There’s no way he’s happening obviously, but very interesting

cothero

Smash Lord
Just realized Vergeben doesn't have any info about the fighters in this pass (with the exception of Steve, which he had info since Ultimate's release). Sephiroth just got revealed and i'm already starving for news, and all points to a similar 2020 release schedule for the last three fighters in 2021. It's going to be a long year for smash speculation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just realized Vergeben doesn't have any info about the fighters in this pass (with the exception of Steve, which he had info since Ultimate's release). Sephiroth just got revealed and i'm already starving for news, and all points to a similar 2020 release schedule for the last three fighters in 2021. It's going to be a long year for smash speculation.
im still waiting for him to get back to us on the LoL rumor...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Same! I mean SEGA allowed it with Virtua Fighter characters, so I'm sure it's most likely a matter of Square-Enix.
I still want a "retro" costume pack where all characters get N64 style models. It's nostalgic for older characters, and a fun exorcise in creativity to see what the older and sprite based characters would look like with such blocky models.

...and then Steve has to ruin it by not looking any different.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I'd be disappointed because my most wanted would be skipped over again. The best thing I can say about King Boo is that his moveset would be unique for Smash, but other than that there are other first party characters that I would love to see over King Boo.

I will say though, the character will definitely have invincibility frames on some of his moves lol
You can't be true to the character without adding that.
Yeah I think invincibility frames are a must. I’ve made a moveset for him and my main ideas for him are a meter that when full allows him to become ‘invisible’ to avoid damage entirely for a while, being a really large character yet also a lightweight, and a feature where his attacks deal more damage when the opponent isn’t facing him

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Don't rely on Vergeben to come with info. Even though he came with correct info during the base game he largely stopped leaking sometime during DLC and has become dormant. DLC is a different beast when it comes to leaks than the base game, you don't have to worry about your game leaking when you don't have test players. The only thing you have to worry about is if intern-kun ****s things up again :p

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Near the start of the pass, when we only knew Min Min, I thought King Boo would've been cool, but with Steve and Sephiroth being in I'm really enjoying these unusual cuts and big names, so I'd prefer either a series with not a lot of reps or wholly new series' to get in. Nothing against King Boo himself as I've always enjoyed the character and a ghost fighter would be awesome, but yet another Mario rep would be a small bummer for me. He's still funny though, and I'd enjoy him in a future game.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Yeah I think invincibility frames are a must. I’ve made a moveset for him and my main ideas for him are a meter that when full allows him to become ‘invisible’ to avoid damage entirely for a while, being a really large character yet also a lightweight, and a feature where his attacks deal more damage when the opponent isn’t facing him
Seems like a poor matchup against Ryu, Ken and Terry then. ;)

D

Deleted member

it is basically Piranha Plant's reveal

"How DARE YOU!?! I am LITERALLY not only a unique member of my species, but the dang KING, AND the main villain of that green coward's spin-off series, and yet you compare me to that FACELESS MOOK??? What NONSENSE!!"

"First time?"

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To be fair, he's the main villain of three games, and a boss character in a few others, so he's not a generic mook like Piranha Plant.
Okay but like, let's be real here, how many people have actually played Luigi's Mansion? Especially to the degree where they'd remember King Boo of all characters? I feel like Luigi's Mansion is a game people talk up all the time and then even in core fan communities like this forum you just...don't hear about it that much. I haven't played any of the games myself, but I've always gotten the impression that the series is forgettable besides the first game. At the very least I don't believe it's an iconic series in the sense of "demands major representation in Smash."

King Boo would definitely be taken the same as Piranha Plant because people at large know the character just as much as Plant. Semantics such as "main villain" and "boss character" don't matter in this case.
As it should be.

Speculation is actually interesting right now given that we're not hanging on the every word of "insiders" or "leakers" or whatever the hell they're called nowadays. I'd prefer things stay that way.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'd love it cause I want him but a lot of people probably don't share that opinion so he'd be negatively received to be honest.
I think that could potentially be averted if Luigi's Mansion were to become its own series, much like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario beforehand. Might just be me, but I've always imagined that Luigi would benefit from being on his own in terms of game representation.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay but like, let's be real here, how many people have actually played Luigi's Mansion? Especially to the degree where they'd remember King Boo of all characters? I feel like Luigi's Mansion is a game people talk up all the time and then even in core fan communities like this forum you just...don't hear about it that much.

King Boo would definitely be taken the same as Piranha Plant because people know the character just as much as Plant. Semantics such as "main villain" and "boss character" don't matter in this case.

As it should be.

Speculation is actually interesting right now given that we're not hanging on the every word of "insiders" or "leakers" or whatever the hell they're called nowadays. I'd prefer things stay that way.
I'd say a decent amount of people have played Luigi's Mansion for it to have gotten 2 sequels. Also the notion that King Boo is some obscure or forgettable character is whack considering he is Luigi's Bowser and has a multitude of appearances in other games, most notably the hugely successful Mario Kart series.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I still want a "retro" costume pack where all characters get N64 style models. It's nostalgic for older characters, and a fun exorcise in creativity to see what the older and sprite based characters would look like with such blocky models.

...and then Steve has to ruin it by not looking any different.
To be fair, Steve would still look a bit different due to the fact that N64 textures usually have some level of smoothing applied to them, so his textures would be rather blurry instead of being crisp pixelart. His tools would also become completely flat instead of being thin voxelarts.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I were Vergeben, after pretty much acing the base game I would've disappeared forever, undefeated. Why stick around when all you can do is waffle?
i've found that while he's accurate to base game leaks, dlc is a bit spottier. remember when he did process of elimination in dec 2019?

his "not sure about KOS-MOS cause I didn't know she was Bandai Namco" comment makes me go hmm tho 🤔

Flyboy

Smash Hero
A part of me wants to see a gacha character with randomly-determined characters assisting them in one of their specials. Just do down special, pull out a random character to help you, and pray they're not the one that kamikaze's and destroys you too.
While not a gacha character, I was once working on a moveset for Rintarou Okabe from Steins;Gate that used assists as one of his gimmicks. Texting your friends is a key mechanic in the game, so I had the idea that similar to Hero he could have a down-special bring up a contacts list that you can use to call in help from other characters he knows, with one of the other main characters Makise Kurisu being more prominently featured in his moveset (so kind of a duo fighter but not quite).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Alright new topic.

In every Smash presentation that has happened so far, there's a Let's see him/her in action! segment where Sakurai plays a random mode with the DLC character he's using. Hero had a CPU Battle against himself, BK and Min Min had a CPU Battle against 2 characters, Terry and Sephiroth had their Classic Mode run down, Byleth had Squad Strike, and Steve had a few Spirit Battles to go through.

For the characters you want, which modes do you think Sakurai will use for their presentation? For me, we haven't seen Sakurai play a DLC character in Century Smash, so I could totally see him play a Dynasty Warriors character like Zhao Yun or Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon for that.
Hmm...

Team Rocket :052::023::109:

CPU Battles against :ultbanjokazooie::ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultolimar::ultpokemontrainer::ultrosalina: to show how similar and different Meowth & Ekans and Meowth & Koffing teams are compared to other team fighters. And for a bit of fan service, CPU Battles against :ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu::ultbrawler: (Team Rocket Grunts).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay but like, let's be real here, how many people have actually played Luigi's Mansion?
Enough to incentivize the creation of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and have the devs take a slightly different direction when making Luigi's Mansion 3. I wouldn't say that's a negligible amount of people.

King Boo would definitely be taken the same as Piranha Plant because people know the character just as much as Plant. Semantics such as "main villain" and "boss character" don't matter in this case.
Also considering that Luigi's Mansion 3 seems to have sold 5M+ copies, and King Boo appears in the game's intro (and making quite an impression in doing so) I highly doubt that's the case.

To be fair, Steve would still look a bit different due to the fact that N64 textures usually have some level of smoothing applied to them, so his textures would be rather blurry instead of being crisp pixelart. His tools would also become completely flat instead of being thin voxelarts.
Well that'd be kinda funny at least. I can still see the memes though.

:ultsheik:"Look at how far technology has come"
:ultbayonetta:"Wow, I'd look super weird back then."
:ultsteve:"This is just what I see in puddles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom