• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm gonna have to disagree with you two guys, unless Sakuria is actively going to change the fundamentals with the game as he makes new characters (ie new modes and fixing some of the major fudmental flaws)

This is literally adding a new gun to a FPS, with the same maps and nothing else

Sure it's cool, and I will try it out for a few rounds, but after all I'm gonna stop playing the game and have to wait til the other new gun

And if he's really just gonna do that, then I just prefer if he just stops here, because if he adds another pass, then the DLC is official higher priced than the base game

(And imho, with the picks and the content they provide, it ain't worth it)
Now that I think about it, you got a point. Once the character comes out, I complete their classic modes, complete their spirit boards, use them in 100 man smash and after that I barely touch the game.

I guess I'm just not ready to face the future of Smash Bros yet, if it means I gotta lose Banjo & Kazooie.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Shroob

Sup?
Now that I think about it, you got a point. Once the character comes out, I complete their classic modes, complete their spirit boards, use them in 100 man smash and after that I barely touch the game.

I guess I'm just not ready to face the future of Smash Bros yet, if it means I gotta lose Banjo & Kazooie.
I'm guilty of this as well, granted I tend to regularly play versus matches too lol.

Pillow

Smash Lord

cashregister9

Smash Hero
That's the thing about this whole leftovers theory.

Street Fighter and Sun/Moon got characters and content for those characters, there is no missed opportunity there, So if for some reason the theory is true (I don't think it is) there would have to be content from a series we didn't know was unable to make it in base.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Street Fighter and Sun/Moon got characters and content for those characters, there is no missed opportunity there, So if for some reason the theory is true (I don't think it is) there would have to be content from a series we didn't know was unable to make it in base.
And besides, considering our track record, we might end up with someone who doesn't fit that bill.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, this is really soon after Mythra/Pyra's reveal, but here are the mathematically projected background colors I got for Fighter 10!

Definitely a lot more varied colors this time. Of course, this is only "minimally extended" as theoretically, there are 27 possible colors technically. I might go back later and post them here, just to see what other variations are given.

Just like last time, it should be noted not to take them seriously since this is just Math, but, it should give something to talk about I guess lol.
You know, I just thought of something and came back to this post. I just realized the colors....is similar to this character's color palette.
But considering those are the supposed background colors rather than the fighter's colors, it's just more a coincidence that the 3 colors all work together for the character.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You know, I just thought of something and came back to this post. I just realized the colors....is similar to this character's color palette.
But considering those are the supposed background colors rather than the fighter's colors, it's just more a coincidence that the 3 colors all work together for the character.
The issue I have with Zacian/Zamazenta is one getting in Smash over the other instantly elevates one over the other in a lot of fan's eyes, when they're supposed to be equals.

Groudon and Kyogre
Palkia and Dialga
Reshiram and Zekrom

Neither of the duo is more "Important" than the other.

....even though I admit, Zacian has way more potential than Zamezenta in regards to moveset potential.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
That's literally not how it works though, you're saying that something not on your mind at the time means you lose all memory of it if not expecting it means not recognizing it. Otherwise people would have went "Who's that?", not "HOLY **** THEY ADDED CLOUD?" Also I like how you're saying conditioning as if this was an immoral social experiment or something and not changing direction for Ultimate
You seem to be overestimating the context of how Smash 4 speculation was originally handled. Yes, Cloud was (and still is) a pretty known name in gaming, but his game was only on PlayStation for a long time. Because people were largely not expecting his game to get a crossover with a franchise on a totally different platform, most weren't giving any expectancy or buildup to it. It would make sense for some people who may not have played his game or had the chance to understand his legacy to get any of the references under these conditions.

Granted, most of this is hypothetical, but I believe the idea that everyone in the gaming sphere can recognize the icons is a bit... generous. Oh, and I could argue conditioning was not a bad way of describing Ultimate's shift.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So to change topic a bit, I realise that the Fighter pass 2 characters have way more complex mechanics than base game or even fighter pass 1 (Min min has never seen before range and 3 different weapons, Steve have crafting and blocks, Sephiroth is probably the more simple but One winged is still unique with 3 jumps and super armor, and Pyra Mythra is pretty much 2 characters in one). I guess that was why the time frame for Fighter pass 2 is way longer than what was pass 1. I do wonder if this trend will continue and who will be the next character and what they could bring.
1613776879238.png

1613776908866.png

1613776952447.png

words

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Pillow

Smash Lord
The issue I have with Zacian/Zamazenta is one getting in Smash over the other instantly elevates one over the other in a lot of fan's eyes, when they're supposed to be equals.

Groudon and Kyogre
Palkia and Dialga
Reshiram and Zekrom

....even though I admit, Zacian has way more potential than Zamezenta in regards to moveset potential.
Sakurai seems to prefer to keep the box art legendaries as pokeballs and stage hazards. I would've said Zacian/Zamacenta had a small chance of coming in as a duo before Pyra/Mythra, but now that we have a transforming character this FP I think the chance is now 0.

If we're getting a gen 8 pokemon please give us SirFetch'd or Eiscue Sakurai!

This reminded me of that one article that claimed Pyra was "another Fire Emblem character"...

Why must I suffer so?
Why are you even here, if not to suffer?

Alright, so here's the possible candidates going by that logic:
I'd be okay with most of these lol

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Just noticed now but during their final smashes Rex also gets the shiny golden eyes:

Pretty neato, not sure if any other supporting characters also have that
Not surprising, models that uses the Eye Material directly get yellow eyes for Final Smashes.
Chrom does too in Robin's final smash in Ultimate when he did not in Smash 4 because of that.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Groudon and Kyogre
Palkia and Dialga
Reshiram and Zekrom

Zacian pretty much is THE legendary for S&S. The motif they chose made Zamazenta at a huge disadvantage lol Fairly certain Sword sales are like 2 to 1 compared to Shield. And in Pokemon Masters the mobile game, they added Gloria and she has Zacian.

tldr; no one cares about Zamazenta because it's a shield

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Groudon and Kyogre
Palkia and Dialga
Reshiram and Zekrom

I personally think TKOWL TKOWL managed to do that concept justice (albeit by admittedly little).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, it's weird that we keep calling it the Chun-Leak when it's about her getting replaced. Echo Fighters are effectively the same as the low-effort clones that the series has had since Melee, just with a cool new name, and it's not all that unrealistic to imagine Chun-Li being dropped in favor of Ken when it became apparent that they wouldn't have much time for a complex original fighter.

Though, if we're counting Street Fighter because of the rumor, we also need to take Lloyd and/or Yuri into account. Or not, if we're being pessimistic about the Mii Costume...

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, it's weird that we keep calling it the Chun-Leak when it's about her getting replaced. Echo Fighters are effectively the same as the low-effort clones that the series has had since Melee, just with a cool new name, and it's not all that unrealistic to imagine Chun-Li being dropped in favor of Ken when it became apparent that they wouldn't have much time for a complex original fighter.

Though, if we're counting Street Fighter because of the rumor, we also need to take Lloyd and/or Yuri into account. Or not, if we're being pessimistic about the Mii Costume...
The only thing I'm confident in this upcoming presentation is Lloyd's demise.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong

But the Xeno series has a connection to Namco, and there's only 1 Namco costume left.

Pillow

Smash Lord

If Lloyd or Yuri are next we'd have four anime swordfighters in a row, and five sword wielders in a row. Sakurai can't keep getting away with this!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You've heard of Fire Theory, now get ready for Fire Emblem Theory!
View attachment 304110
Clearly, only spirits that use FE characters as a puppet fighter will get promoted :4pacman:
This is how I-Tetrimino wins

It'd also be third after Min Min and Mythra to be represented by Corrin specifically

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Real talk

Xenoblade has a lot of Unique Monsters or if you’re cultured like I am, Tyrants

Abyssal Lagiacrus sounds like the name of a Unique Monster

calling it we’ll get the MonHun costumes back

Shroob

Sup?
Real talk

Xenoblade has a lot of Unique Monsters or if you’re cultured like I am, Tyrants

Abyssal Lagiacrus sounds like the name of a Unique Monster

calling it we’ll get the MonHun costumes back
If we do, that'd be very interesting, since that'd mean that Capcom would probably be out of the running.

If we got ALL the missing DLC costumes back, then we'd have nothing to go off of.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If Lloyd or Yuri are next we'd have four anime swordfighters in a row, and five sword wielders in a row. Sakurai can't keep getting away with this!
I know you're referring to the two-in-one deal, but my first thought was Hmm yes Steve the anime swordfighter

Still, Pyra and Mythra are at least semiclones of each other, can be freely switched between each other, and they're in the same pack. It'd still be a fair amount of anime swords, but it would only be three content packs of it. At least, I think that's how they would be counted.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I say bring it on.
The only reason I like playing Smash Bros is so I can play a fighting game with a huge number of anime-style swordies.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495

SKX31

Smash Master
Glad to see you're enjoying it. I feel like music is the best way to draw people to new games or series.
Besides agreeing, that's the main reason why I've posted tracks from Civ VI specifically every now and then. The soundtrack is its high point, even if the decisions can be a bit, well to quote a comment (emphasis mine):

"And for the Russian theme we have this simple folk song about eating tasty berries in your garden"
"Make it sound like the Devil waking up!"

Fun fact: Sakurai collapsed when making this.
View attachment 304116
I wouldn't be putting stock into something that's basically 3x times the effort of that. Especially right after DLC.
Ooooooof. That's putting it lightly there, Sakurai. Good thing that no lasting complications developed as a result of that.

It's also a good thing that Melee turned out to be what it is. Almost no games made in just 13 ****ing months under heavy duress go on to not just be the casual favorite of its Nintendo generation, but to spark a still-thriving competitive scene that has defined a large part of the series' image alongside the more heavily promoted casual angle.

Arigato, Sakurai for that extremely intense work. Melee was amongst the first Nintendo game I and my family owned, and I'll always cherish those initial memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom