• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We know Xenoblade is really popular over in Japan as Xenoblade 2 shows.

How popular is Xenolblade exactly here in the west? As much or less?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
We know Xenoblade is really popular over in Japan as Xenoblade 2 shows.

How popular is Xenolblade exactly here in the west? As much or less?
Considering it sold basically all of it's First Physical print that Nintendo had to double dip on the west, and it still sold quite a lot, and that Nintendo stopped the Physical Print of the games now.
I let you take a guess.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Considering it sold basically all of it's First Physical print that Nintendo had to double dip on the west, and it still sold quite a lot, and that Nintendo stopped the Physical Print of the games now.
I let you take a guess.
So equally as popular then.

Shroob

Sup?

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wasn't really implying that. It's more that Ryu may not have been on everyone's mind in context of Smash in particular. Surely people can recognize Ryu, but it's a matter of whether he would qualify. You must remember that the third-parties were not all-expected in Smash 4, at least not until Cloud stormed in.

Conditioning can be crucial to expectation. Admittedly, while I was able to identify Sephiroth during his reveal, this would not have been true had he been added right after Cloud in Smash 4.
That's literally not how it works though, you're saying that something not on your mind at the time means you lose all memory of it if not expecting it means not recognizing it. Otherwise people would have went "Who's that?", not "HOLY **** THEY ADDED CLOUD?" Also I like how you're saying conditioning as if this was an immoral social experiment or something and not changing direction for Ultimate

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I'll be super sad if KOS-MOS doesnt survive this wave and turns into a mii costume but regardless I got my 2nd most wanted with Pyra/Mythra so i'm really happy. However, a simple gunner with the arsenal of abilities KOS-MOS has is bound to make me super disappointed. I get that representation is better than no representation but it still means she would truly be dead forever and that makes me sad.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rex & Pyra were always a very popular request in Japan, so I don't doubt the reveal gaining greater positivity over there, but keep in mind that trailer views are not a particularly good metric considering the way Nintendo tags and promotes the trailers results in the views typically being greatly distributed over many different uploads across many different channels.

If you search for a character trailer on Youtube, it's rarely the official channel upload that will be the first result.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that CP10 might be a character more popular in the West because I believe that they are meant to be an E3 reveal, or somewhere around that time frame.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm hoping Sakurai picks a completely random character that nobody would ever expect. I'd love to see Pharaoh Man from Mega Man 4 even though he has no logical reason to ever get chosen.
Well I would say "too bad, Nintendo's choosing", but I can't imagine Nintendo specifically wanting Pyra without Rex. I just can't. At least Terry had the SNK guest fighter trend to make him seem like a Nintendo pick.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think that CP10 might be a character more popular in the West because I believe that they are meant to be an E3 reveal, or somewhere around that time frame.
That does make sense to me. Altho all the lockdown stuff kinda messed up the schedule of things, maybe it'd be cp11 that was for e3 originally or something.

Shroob

Sup?
Just drop CP 10 and 11 at E3, one for the west, one for the east, just like Hero and Banjo. Hell, now that Directs are back, we're back to the old ways of waiting a few months between reveals.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just drop CP 10 and 11 at E3, one for the west, one for the east, just like Hero and Banjo. Hell, now that Directs are back, we're back to the old ways of waiting a few months between reveals.
Which also means we're back to the Golden Age of "Direct When?".

Hooray...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well I would say "too bad, Nintendo's choosing", but I can't imagine Nintendo specifically wanting Pyra without Rex. I just can't. At least Terry had the SNK guest fighter trend to make him seem like a Nintendo pick.
Maybe they saw the sales of the Figmas and how nobody seemed remotely interested in a Rex figure or Nintendo just asked "Give us a character from this game" without caring about who it is like with ARMS? The Steve presentation had Sakurai say he was asked if he could add Minecraft, not Steve, Minecraft. It'd add up

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyone not think of CP10 being revealed in April and then CP11 being June/E3?

Of course this two month pattern could break and we could be waiting 4 months.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect that because the releases are more spaced out. I only expect one reveal at E3. CP11 I expect to instead be revealed sometime in the fall.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I also think many of the animations would cease to make sense with the context of what's basically a wand, but they might be able to get it to work.
All they have to do is make her hold it out, instead of up. It's not like there aren't Gunners that actually hold their guns. Like Vault Boy, or Splatoon.

The KK Slider one is probably the best example though.

Or Western viewers just prefer watching reaction vids.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I tend to agree with that. CP10 at E3, and 11 later. BUT if they do both at E3. The odds of something after FP2 coming shoots up drastically.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't expect that because the releases are more spaced out. I only expect one reveal at E3. CP11 I expect to instead be revealed sometime in the fall.
Spaced out how? Our reveal/release schedule hasn't changed at all when you compare it to FP1.

I'd wager the only reason that we didn't get two reveals this last June was that we just didn't have an E3 period(That, and Corona). Also, Directs were dead in the water.

Now, Directs are back in full force. If we get a June Direct, what's soo outlandish about a "June/July for CP10, Fall 2021 for CP11" like they did with Hero and Banjo?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah. I tend to agree with that. CP10 at E3, and 11 later. BUT if they do both at E3. The odds of something after FP2 coming shoots up drastically.
What if it’s CP10 pre E3, and CP11 AT E3?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Spaced out how? Our reveal/release schedule hasn't changed at all when you compare it to FP1.

I'd wager the only reason that we didn't get two reveals this last June was that we just didn't have an E3 period(That, and Corona). Also, Directs were dead in the water.

Now, Directs are back in full force. If we get a June Direct, what's soo outlandish about a "June/July for CP10, Fall 2021 for CP11" like they did with Hero and Banjo?
I guess the one main difference there is that Hero/Banjo were revealed early on in the pass, wheras we're now down to the last two characters.

Unless they also announce FP3 or something, revealing the last two characters in the same Direct would effectively end all Smash speculation/hype right then and there.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Rex & Pyra were always a very popular request in Japan, so I don't doubt the reveal gaining greater positivity over there, but keep in mind that trailer views are not a particularly good metric considering the way Nintendo tags and promotes the trailers results in the views typically being greatly distributed over many different uploads across many different channels.

If you search for a character trailer on Youtube, it's rarely the official channel upload that will be the first result.
Yeah, the post was made tongue-in-cheek. Most of the Japanese versions on the official channel have more views than the English ones so it doesn't really mean anything. I think YouTube "culture" is different in the regions anyway, in the west there's a lot more reactions and other news covering channels which steal some views.

Shroob

Sup?
What if it’s CP10 pre E3, and CP11 AT E3?
Feel like that would entirely depend on how early Pyra/Mythra drop, and even then, it's not something I'd put as a high likelihood.

If P/M come out like, the first week of March? I could entertain the idea, Steve to Seph was barely 65~ish days after all, but any later? Nah.
I guess the one main difference there is that Hero/Banjo were revealed early on in the pass, wheras we're now down to the last two characters.

Unless they also announce FP3 or something, revealing the last two characters in the same Direct would effectively end all Smash speculation/hype right then and there.
I mean, it has to end at some time, no?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sure, but I'd imagine Nintendo would want people to keep talking/speculating about Smash for a little awhile longer.
Didn’t that investor report talk about potentially extending the Switch’s lifespan? Smash 4’s dlc ended rather early cuz 1. Dual development, and 2. Wii U was practically DOA

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's not that odd. I've seen some never hear of MegaMan.
✋
I had no idea who Mega Man was until his name started popping up in the days of Brawl speculation.

I also had no idea who Richter or Joker were when they were revealed, and no idea who Terry was until the SNK leak.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, even though I had never played a single FF game in my life at the time, I instantly recognized the song in Cloud's trailer and proceeded to lose my **** because Cloud is a mythical figure of gaming.

Like, among many, I have yet to know of anyone who doesn't know who Steve is or recognize him.
...I had no idea who Steve was until people memed about him getting in Smash, circa the ballot era.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, yeah. That's basically the crux of Smash hype, and I just think Nintendo would want to milk it for as long as they can.
But it has to end eventually, baring a 3rd pass.

With Smash 4, it was done in a big, Smash specific trailer, this time, what better place to do it than E3? Granted, if E3 even exists at all.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Didn’t that investor report talk about potentially extending the Switch’s lifespan? Smash 4’s dlc ended rather early cuz 1. Dual development, and 2. Wii U was practically DOA
They did, and in the same Investor Report Talk, irc they talked about how Smash DLC were boosting the Game sales, and how they try to attract non-smash fans/Games into smash thanks to the characters and not the other way around.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think Nintendo will be at E3 this year. As a matter of fact the only reason they were “at” E3 for the past 5 or so years was so they could have a physical presence and make their booths like Disneyland. But E3 is all Digital this year so that’s no longer necessary.

There’s nothing stopping Nintendo from presenting a new character in May skipping June entirely and then finishing off the pass in August/September. It would adhere to the 2 month Schedule they’ve had going since Steve as well. Which seems much more likely to me since I doubt anyone is really going to be on board with E3 this year considering E3’s price proposal for being involved is ridiculous at best and highway robbery at worst.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don’t think Nintendo will be at E3 this year. As a matter of fact the only reason they’re “at” E3 for the past 5 or so years we so they could have a physical presence and make their booths like Disneyland. Since E3 is all Digital this year so that’s no longer necessary.

There’s nothing stopping Nintendo from presenting a new character in May skipping June entirely and then finishing off the pas in August/September. It would adhere to the 2 month Schedule they’ve had going since Steve as well. Which seems much more likely to me since I doubt anyone is really going to be on board with E3 this year considering E3’s price proposal for being involved is ridiculous at best and highway robbery at worst.
They could still do their own general Direct sometime in summer, effectively an E3 direct without the E3 branding. We just got one a few days ago, so they're clearly back on the table.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t think Nintendo will be at E3 this year. As a matter of fact the only reason they’re “at” E3 for the past 5 or so years we so they could have a physical presence and make their booths like Disneyland. Since E3 is all Digital this year so that’s no longer necessary.

There’s nothing stopping Nintendo from presenting a new character in May skipping June entirely and then finishing off the pas in August/September. It would adhere to the 2 month Schedule they’ve had going since Steve as well. Which seems much more likely to me since I doubt anyone is really going to be on board with E3 this year considering E3’s price proposal for being involved is ridiculous at best and highway robbery at worst.
The only thing I'm hesitant about this proposition is that since Directs are back, I really doubt they're going to do standable Sakurai Presents reveals anymore, and those will be saved for character gameplay, Mii costumes and release dates.

May feels a little too soon for another full-blown Direct, while June feels like it'd be that sweet spot to cover their summer and fall releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom