• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
At this rate characters who were or may have been considered for Base game given the trend of Pass 2.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Though some argues Ryu Hayabusa can also fit into this criteria depending on sources, so he definitely might have better chances than Crash does.
These are all based on Unconfirmed Rumors, The only one that fits the bill is Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The same thing?

Not like there aren't Gunner costumes that use weird objects as guns. And Gunner seems more fitting for a character from a shootemup franchise. Especially one that...doesn't use a ship, and just flies around shooting out of her gohei.
The biggest issue with this is the proportions involved. Since the gohei is a longish object held in the hand rather than a gun, the arm would need to be shorter in order for the gohei to not extend farther than it's allowed.

I also think many of the animations would cease to make sense with the context of what's basically a wand, but they might be able to get it to work.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing about recognizable characters is there will be outliers who simply never heard of them. It's not that odd. I've seen some never hear of MegaMan. I've seen some never heard of freaking Ryu(and definitely not Chun Li). Being a gamer doesn't mean you're hard able to know all the super big games. It just means you play games.

Like, among many, I have yet to know of anyone who doesn't know who Steve is or recognize him. But lordy they haven't heard of most Mario characters as is(just the biggest ones). Etc. It's not a contest. It happens.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, not knowing Master Chief is like not knowing Link to me. He was like, the guy of 00s gaming and his games are still very prominent, and to my knowledge, successful. Excluding Asia, of course. But we're not talking about them right now.

Ryu and Chun-Li are obviously major players as well, but I feel like since the 90s their actual games have slipped into a lucrative and well-known but more low-key niche than Mr. FPS. For kids, I would expect them to be more familiar with Chief. Though I guess Ryu is aided by being in Smash, whereas the other two aren't.

And Kratos I'd put somewhere in the middle for that group. He's always been vying with other Sony characters to be "the mascot", and for a while his series was kind of quiet and filled with re-releases. Though he is now back in a pretty prominent place.

My takeaway is that either I'm old, or kids are dumb. More likely, both.
A good friend of mine is a math teacher at a middle school and what's he told me is that kids play what's popular and what their friends are playing. So these kids who are 11, 12, 13 are playing Fortnite, Smash, Minecraft, Call of Duty--things like that. The consoles they're growing up with are the Switch, PS4, and XB1. Most kids don't have boomer gamer parents but the difference between Master Chief and say, Mario, is that even regular parents know Mario and Pikachu. Nintendo IPs have broken into mainstream culture.

So I'm honestly not surprised that these young kids don't know Chief or Street Fighter when SF has gone into a niche market and Chief is the mascot of a 3rd place company this generation. The FPS they're probably more familiar with is Call of Duty to be honest.

So the takeaway is pretty much kids don't care about gaming history unless they're really into games and we're old.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So, who wants to go in on when they'll even launch?

The Direct and VS Twitter used the terms "Just a bit longer" and "Soon" respectively.

Amiibo theory pins it for, iirc, late March or mid March.

I know what I'd personally like, that being a Sakurai Presents next week and a release the following week, but I don't consider that likely at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

The Direct and VS Twitter used the terms "Just a bit longer" and "Soon" respectively.

I know what I'd personally like, that being a Sakurai Presents next week and a release the following week, but I don't consider that likely at all.
Oh that's easy, the 32nd of March

SWSU

Smash Apprentice

Could do the Presents Early March, and then Release it within the Amiibo Window. In that case both could be right.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Presents next week id imagine

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I'm gonna guess the week of the fourteenth is when we get the presents, and the week after is the launch.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Chun-Li ends up DLC, I thik her music track should look something like this:

What’s your opinion on this list?

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Are there any other top-tier villains that could be added? I know everyone looks at protagonists like Crash, Dante, yadda yadda but after Sephiroth I have to wonder if they'd dip into the villain pool again.

Obviously, I know everyone is going to say Eggman and Wily so other than them.
It would be bizarre to me if they added another villain who wasn't Robotnik. I'm not even sitting here as the world's biggest Sonic fan by any stretch, but even now his exclusion feels super jarring.

Aside from him, though, my personal best-case scenario would be Nightmare. He'd be that long-awaited second Namco rep with a lot of really weird/grotesque moveset potential (Soul Edge does eat the souls of its victims, so I'd love to see how Sakurai would implement that without making his kit completely broken). Plus, it would be a super heavyweight evil swordsman to balance out Sephiroth's featherweight evil swordsman.

Monkey's paw scenario? Both Square and Nintendo vastly overestimated Balan Wonderworld during FP2 development and the final DLC is Creepy Top Hat NiGHTS OC.

balan_sp.png

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I was reading some reactions from Fortnite fans and I was super shocked to see some of them not recognizing Ryu and Chun-Li. It made me feel old.

Like, I can understand not knowing Master Chief and Kratos. But Ryu and Chun-Li? Or at least being aware that Street Fighter is a thing? I guess this is because younger generations are exposed to different games and all, but still... It feels so weird and kinda wrong to me lol
If you want to be super technical, when Ryu was first introduced in Smash 4, I hardly recognized him; whereas I did have some familiarity with Kratos and Master Chief. Once people became conditioned into expecting big names, Ryu would've been thrown around more, and therefore would've gained more traction; but until the Roy/Ryu leak, Street Fighter was not on everyone's radar, especially for the newer generations that were not born in Street Fighter's heyday and could've been more familiar with modern titles.

It's probably similar conditions here. Has there been another Fortnite crossover with something older?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding the presentation. I'm thinking one week before the release of the next set of amiibos in March so between the 14th and 20th.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The biggest issue with this is the proportions involved. Since the gohei is a longish object held in the hand rather than a gun, the arm would need to be shorter in order for the gohei to not extend farther than it's allowed.

I also think many of the animations would cease to make sense with the context of what's basically a wand, but they might be able to get it to work.
Well, if they opted to make her a Gunner, she’d need to hold the gohei from near the end instead of from the handle (similar to the way that the K.K. Slider costume holds the guitar.) It‘d be kind of unorthodox, but it would functionally work.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Reimu doesn't actually shoot her talismans out of the gohei. The fighting games show that she just throws them out from her hand, and the shooters don't actually use her gohei very much (With some exceptions, like DDC). The fighters and mangas have shown that the gohei is pretty much just a whacky stick, and she'd probably end up as a Swordfighter rather than a Gunner.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If you want to be super technical, when Ryu was first introduced in Smash 4, I hardly recognized him; whereas I did have some familiarity with Kratos and Master Chief. Once people became conditioned into expecting big names, Ryu would've been thrown around more, and therefore would've gained more traction
Ryu not being on anyone's radar doesn't mean they didn't recognize him though? That's like saying nobody knew who Cloud or Sephiroth were as they were completely off the radar too

It's missing a personal favourite

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

I will throw a chair if Chun-Li doesn't come with Jazzy NYC

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are there any other top-tier villains that could be added? I know everyone looks at protagonists like Crash, Dante, yadda yadda but after Sephiroth I have to wonder if they'd dip into the villain pool again.

Obviously, I know everyone is going to say Eggman and Wily so other than them.
Popular villains? Eggman, Dr. Wily, Sigma, Albert Wesker, Nemesis, Red Arremer, M.Bison, Pyramid Head, GLADOS, SHODAN, Lich King/Arthas, Kerrigan, Ansem, Heihachi, Nightmare, Kefka, Dr. Cortez, Dark Matter, Psaro, Liquid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Diablo, the Pac-Man Ghosts, Giygas, Big Daddy, Giovanni, Shao Kahn, Lavos, as well as some dubious ones like Magus, Vergil and G-Man.

Most recognizable villains comparable to Bowser, Ganondorf and Sephiroth? The closest ones would probably be Eggman, Wesker, Pyramid Head, GLADOS, Giovanni and Giygas.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Popular villains? Eggman, Dr. Wily, Sigma, Albert Wesker, Nemesis, Red Arremer, M.Bison, Pyramid Head, GLADOS, SHODAN, Lich King/Arthas, Kerrigan, Ansem, Heihachi, Nightmare, Kefka, Dr. Cortez, Dark Matter, Psaro, Liquid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Diablo, the Pac-Man Ghosts, Giygas, Big Daddy, Giovanni, Shao Kahn, Lavos, as well as some dubious ones like Magus, Vergil and G-Man.

Most recognizable villains comparable to Bowser, Ganondorf and Sephiroth? The closest ones would probably be Eggman, Wesker, Pyramid Head, GLADOS, Giovanni and Giygas.
I'd say Skull Kid's up there, Majora's Mask is a very iconic game for the Zelda series.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually a question I have

What do you think Pyra/Mythra's DLC tourney would be, and what type of potential implications would the tourney have?

Personally I thinking it either be based of Fire, Swords, or them originating in the 2010's

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd say Skull Kid's up there, Majora's Mask is a very iconic game for the Zelda series.
Yeah, Skull Kid and the Moon too. I forgot to put him there after deciding to put in Wily, despite both being in Smash as Assist Trophies. I was mostly focused on characters not in Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually a question I have

What do you think Pyra/Mythra's DLC tourney would be, and what type of potential implications would the tourney have?

Personally I thinking it either be based of Fire, Swords, or them originating in the 2010's
"battle between the blades"
and it's just people with swords.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The fact that this had to be specified is hilarious to me lol. They did her theme so dirty man.
Man, I feel like I'm the only person who likes her SF5 theme. It's not as good as SF4 version but I like the more 'creepy' vibe it has in 5.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It would be bizarre to me if they added another villain who wasn't Robotnik. I'm not even sitting here as the world's biggest Sonic fan by any stretch, but even now his exclusion feels super jarring.

Aside from him, though, my personal best-case scenario would be Nightmare. He'd be that long-awaited second Namco rep with a lot of really weird/grotesque moveset potential (Soul Edge does eat the souls of its victims, so I'd love to see how Sakurai would implement that without making his kit completely broken). Plus, it would be a super heavyweight evil swordsman to balance out Sephiroth's featherweight evil swordsman.

Monkey's paw scenario? Both Square and Nintendo vastly overestimated Balan Wonderworld during FP2 development and the final DLC is Creepy Top Hat NiGHTS OC.

View attachment 304083
Jokes on you, I like Balan Wonderworld!

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Ryu not being on anyone's radar doesn't mean they didn't recognize him though? That's like saying nobody knew who Cloud or Sephiroth were as they were completely off the radar too
I wasn't really implying that. It's more that Ryu may not have been on everyone's mind in context of Smash in particular. Surely people can recognize Ryu, but it's a matter of whether he would qualify. You must remember that the third-parties were not all-expected in Smash 4, at least not until Cloud stormed in.

Conditioning can be crucial to expectation. Admittedly, while I was able to identify Sephiroth during his reveal, this would not have been true had he been added right after Cloud in Smash 4.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom