• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fighting games are the kings of video game crossovers, ergo Ryu would still be the king of video game crossovers
So no, he's just the king of fighting game crossovers, got it, heh.

He’s also appeared in Ready Player One which means his crossed over with Master Chief, Tracer from Overwatch, and Gundam.
I more meant the ratio overall, but seems like those are more of a bonus. He's like a King of Fighters(yet... surprisingly not a Guest in that one yet. :p)

Joking aside, that's pretty cool~

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dante and Doomguy are like those big 'hype' third party choices Smash fans keep hyping up only for them to never get in.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are going to share the same fate.
Honestly, sad to say it I'm feeling the same with Hayabusa as well. Granted I think he has a better shot and chance then Crash does.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
3. Said approval process takes months at least, and in some cases can become Approval Hell (TM). Because the process runs through the Chinese government and the state has over the past few years tightened the approval process. Why? Partly to try and control things, partly because of a Moral Panic surrounding one of Tencent's games back in 2017 (Honor of Kings, Tencent's mobile LoL), with state-run papers attacking the game. Currently 16 Switch games are approved since December 2019 (ooof) and BotW 1 is in Approval Hell (TM). Well, anyone who owns a Switch there and is interested in BotW has probably imported it and beaten it (as well as Age of Calamity) so no biggie.
Tryna get all them Korok seeds to see if one looks like Winnie the Pooh, huh? Quite the thankless job.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Are there any other top-tier villains that could be added? I know everyone looks at protagonists like Crash, Dante, yadda yadda but after Sephiroth I have to wonder if they'd dip into the villain pool again.

Obviously, I know everyone is going to say Eggman and Wily so other than them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are there any other top-tier villains that could be added? I know everyone looks at protagonists like Crash, Dante, yadda yadda but after Sephiroth I have to wonder if they'd dip into the villain pool again.

Nightmare (Soulcalibur) comes to mind.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Honestly, sad to say it I'm feeling the same with Hayabusa as well. Granted I think he has a better shot and chance then Crash does.
I always see you being down on [x] and [y] character's chances. I'm curious who it is you do think is likely for the remaining 2 spots.

Simply: yes
They do, and it's awesome, but I hope these posts don't give people the wrong idea. Ready Player One is not a great movie.

Pyramid Head, and Wesker or Nemesis (following a RE character) come to mind

I'd really love GlaDOS or SHOKAN as a boss or stage hazard.

Dark Souls has a great load of stuff to draw from as well.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was reading some reactions from Fortnite fans and I was super shocked to see some of them not recognizing Ryu and Chun-Li. It made me feel old.

Like, I can understand not knowing Master Chief and Kratos. But Ryu and Chun-Li? Or at least being aware that Street Fighter is a thing? I guess this is because younger generations are exposed to different games and all, but still... It feels so weird and kinda wrong to me lol

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Chaos and Sigma. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was reading some reactions from Fortnite fans and I was super shocked to see some of them not recognizing Ryu and Chun-Li. It made me feel old.

Like, I can understand not knowing Master Chief and Kratos. But Ryu and Chun-Li? Or at least being aware that Street Fighter is a thing? I guess this is because younger generations are exposed to different games and all, but still... It feels so weird and kinda wrong to me lol
I don't even understand not knowing Master Chief and Kratos, tbh.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Lich King, Sarah Kerrigan, Diablo, Magus, Fulgore, and Ansem would all be awesome. Blizzard has a lot of very prominent villains that are arguably more popular than their protagonists.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
They do, and it's awesome, but I hope these posts don't give people the wrong idea. Ready Player One is not a great movie.
Great? Nah. Better than it deserves to be? Yeah. Fun? Abso-****ing-lutely.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Please tell me the Gundam and Mechagodzilla fight each other.
Eeyup. The big ultra mega crossover fight ends with Iron Giant and Gundam vs Mechagodzilla.

The original hero was actually Ultraman in the book, but they changed it to the robos we have now because of copyright issues. Mechagodzilla was kept the same, fortunately.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde

I know they're assist trophies

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I always see you being down on [x] and [y] character's chances. I'm curious who it is you do think is likely for the remaining 2 spots.
At this rate characters who were or may have been considered for Base game given the trend of Pass 2.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Though some argues Ryu Hayabusa can also fit into this criteria depending on sources, so he definitely might have better chances than Crash does.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Can't believe I went from moderately happy for Pyra/Mythra's inclusion

To extremely hyped

All because I listened to the game's OST. This OST is criminally amazing and the fact we're going to get more of it in Smash is amazing,
Yeah, the Xenoblade series has some of the best music in video games in my opinion. I'm really glad to be getting more of it as well.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not surprised kids that play Fortnite don’t know most of the characters in it. It exists in this very specific bubble. Most kids that play Fortnite don’t play anything else and I don’t mean that mean. My little bro’s are 10 & 11 and they actually play other games but all their friends will talk about is Fortnite and they’ve began to develop a distaste towards it for that reason and it cracks me up I’m not gonna lie.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eeyup. The big ultra mega crossover fight ends with Iron Giant and Gundam vs Mechagodzilla.

The original hero was actually Ultraman in the book, but they changed it to the robos we have now because of copyright issues. Mechagodzilla was kept the same, fortunately.
To this day I don't know if Chaiyo's ****ery preventing this was a bad thing for replacing Ultraman or a good thing considering how shockingly awful the books are

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At this rate characters who were or may have been considered for Base game given the trend of Pass 2.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Though some argues Ryu Hayabusa can also fit into this criteria depending on sources, so he definitely might have better chances than Crash does.
It should also be noted that aside from the in-game files for the Hunters, all of those names are from rumors and not definitive statements. Take this list with a grain of salt.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It should also be noted that aside from the in-game files for the Hunters, all of those names are from rumors and not definitive statements. Take this list with a grain of salt.
Which in game files assuming you don’t mean the music?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

M. Bison(Akuma is not technically a villain)
Nightmare(Soul Calibur)
Shao Kahn(Mortal Kombat)

My wish is that Fulgore(Killer Instinct) would be among this list, but the game isn't that big sadly. He's never the core villain, but the secondary one, though, as well. Like, third biggest series for Rareware(after Banjo-Kazooie and Battletoads. Fourth in a sense, but Conker is tied with BK in terms of advertisement. They're both the mascots. One just is clearly a fan favorite over the other).

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’m not surprised kids that play Fortnite don’t know most of the characters in it. It exists in this very specific bubble. Most kids that play Fortnite don’t play anything else and I don’t mean that mean. My little bro’s are 10 & 11 and they actually play other games but all their friends will talk about is Fortnite and they’ve began to develop a distaste towards it for that reason and it cracks me up I’m not gonna lie.
A lot of multiplayer-focused online games have player bases like this. A lot of my friends who were specifically into LoL, Starcraft, Counterstrike, etc. rarely ventured outside of those games. Fortnite being aimed at a younger audience doesn't help, as a lot of these crossover characters existed (and often times peaked in popularity) long before Fortnite

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think Reimu would more likely be a Swordfighter with her gohei. I can't imagine what her gun/arm cannon/whatever would be if she was a Gunner.
The same thing?

Not like there aren't Gunner costumes that use weird objects as guns. And Gunner seems more fitting for a character from a shootemup franchise. Especially one that...doesn't use a ship, and just flies around shooting out of her gohei.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll be honest, not knowing Master Chief is like not knowing Link to me. He was like, the guy of 00s gaming and his games are still very prominent, and to my knowledge, successful. Excluding Asia, of course. But we're not talking about them right now.

Ryu and Chun-Li are obviously major players as well, but I feel like since the 90s their actual games have slipped into a lucrative and well-known but more low-key niche than Mr. FPS. For kids, I would expect them to be more familiar with Chief. Though I guess Ryu is aided by being in Smash, whereas the other two aren't.

And Kratos I'd put somewhere in the middle for that group. He's always been vying with other Sony characters to be "the mascot", and for a while his series was kind of quiet and filled with re-releases. Though he is now back in a pretty prominent place.

My takeaway is that either I'm old, or kids are dumb. More likely, both.

SKX31

Smash Master
Still no news on Smash or even Splatoon 3 getting a Chinese release? May as well release 3 at this point
Nope. Not yet. No sign of Splatoon 2 AFAIK, and I keep an eagle eye on what Zhuge posts re: approvals.

Which is kinda weird on one hand (given that Nintendo and Tencent introduced the Switch on Chinese social media with the base game Smash renders back in 2019), but on the other hand...

WeiboSmash.png

I feel that the potential Approval Hell is the main reason why. They're probably going to submit Smash, but at this point, the vast majority of people who are interested have probably imported it.

Tryna get all them Korok seeds to see if one looks like Winnie the Pooh, huh? Quite the thankless job.
Worst thing about that, it's actually pretty accurate. From what I understand the government has a littany of requirements for licensing. And they go through every single inch of game code probably tens of times over. Also, the government kinda shot itself in the foot when they approved a lot of clones (a lot of them from Tencent - that's a major reason why many Chinese hardcore players dislike Tencent and prefer Japanese / Western games over Chinese games), so they are trying to get rid of that reputation.

It's really quite telling when Tennis Aces, Crafted World and Ring Fit were sent in for approval later than BotW - but all got approved by 2020's end, while BotW is still stuck.

A lot of multiplayer-focused online games have player bases like this. A lot of my friends who were specifically into LoL, Starcraft, Counterstrike, etc. rarely ventured outside of those games. Fortnite being aimed at a younger audience doesn't help, as a lot of these crossover characters existed (and often times peaked in popularity) long before Fortnite
It's the same with FIFA and Madden I believe (as well as other sports games) - a lot of people who buy consoles for FIFA will rarely if ever buy other games for example. Most of those examples are also importantly social games as NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy noted - the strength of Metcalfe's Law (in this case, "My friends play it, so I'm more likely to play it too and join the fun!") is not to be underestimated. The trade off is often that stories take somewhat of a backseat compared to the PvP.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's the same with FIFA and Madden I believe (as well as other sports games) - people who buy consoles for FIFA will rarely if ever buy other games for example. Most of those examples are also importantly social games as NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy noted - the strength of Metcalfe's Law (in this case, "My friends play it, so I'm more likely to play it too and join the fun!") is not to be underestimated. The trade off is often that stories take somewhat of a backseat compared to the PvP.
Pretty much, yes. Growing up, the average teenager over here (and by that I mean people who were full casuals) played FIFA, PES... and that's about it.

Any further than that, and you probably were someone who invested more time than the average Joe in video games.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm hoping Sakurai picks a completely random character that nobody would ever expect. I'd love to see Pharaoh Man from Mega Man 4 even though he has no logical reason to ever get chosen.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Wait, since when Falcolm rep and LoL rep where considered for base game? Did I miss something or it's just speculation?

To be fair despite selling well, I would still consider fighting games (and by extension Street fighter) very niche. They really appeal to a specific type of hardcore gamers. I have some more casual gamer friends who played a little bit of Tekken and heard of Mortal kombat (mostly because of the violence), but SF is surprisingly not that popular among the more casual/ younger gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom