• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If that is the case, I wonder if there is a Pokemon rep it will be Decidueye instead of a Gen 8 Pokemon since I remember hearing Decidueye almost made it to Smash Ultimate.
It's already bad they went into Gen 7 once. :101: Don't wanna bring the quality of the game down.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not going to lie, kind of feel the same way about the direct as he does. All those RPGs from Square Enix and none of them are Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. Although I was never expecting Crash Bandicoot to be Fighter 9, I was hoping that it wouldn't be another anime sword fighter so along with nothing I wanted to see, that's pretty much put a damper on my excitement for more Nintendo directs. Starting to like the idea of shadow drops more than directs now.
Sadly, the Chrono series is in hibernation. I doubt we'll ever see a new entry in it at this point.
Black and purple Pyra & Mythra are -chef's kiss-
That they are. Only Mythra's appears in-game, but that means that one should at least appear in Smash.
Big brain time here, so take this with a big grain of salt, but what if the reason they haven't revealed the alt is because Rex is replaced with Addam (Mythra first/previous driver) in some alts?
How would that stop them from showing the alts? They'd just need to not show him in screenshots. Also it wouldn't make sense for him to be with an alternate colour of the two.
Anyone think we been getting that many JRPG characters as DLC?
JRPGs tend to be popular and have more rabid fans willing to buy DLC along with a variety of moves to pull from for movesets.
Maybe the alts just aren't finished yet, especially since it's double the workload? I doubt they'd be shy about spoilers when Byleth got their Sothis form, which showed up on the site asap.
Honestly, a colour alt isn't much of a spoiler without context.
Joker and byleth have no fire attack
Byleth's explosion for down b and Joker's side b, though darkness, appear fire-like.
I didn't feel any ounce of hype with Homura & Hikari reveal in Smash mainly because we got another Sword user I would have been more pumped with a female character that can punch I need more people who use their fist. That or people that can shoot pew pew or bang bang like Lara Croft for example.

Please Sakurai.
There are a lot of characters that fight with their fists, arguably more unarmed fighters than sword fighters.
Yeah, I mean we already have her portrait and I can bet my life that it's a crop out of the official art but haven't released publicly due to.. well spoiler.
It doesn't even appear in the official artbook that includes DLC, but it does look cropped from unfinished full art.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
And Mii Brawler doesn't fit Bomberman at all, yet he still became a Brawler sooooooo............, your point?
Oh, are we entering this kind of argument? Sorry, but I'm personally tired of this kind honestly. This is the Bomberman Mii using Shot Put:

Bomberman.png

Given how blurry the image is, it can be mistaken for a bomb. Source (0:21).

My point was, best available fit for the character. Sure, Bomberman might not fit entirely as a Brawler - but could you imagine the guy with a sword or a gun? At least he punches and kicks bombs in his games. And his games are about careful maneuvering and getting close without being burnt oneself.

Not every Mii is going to fit neatly into any of the three archetypes, and yes, Nintendo themselves are likely to be inconsistent with this. My personal opinion does not influence Nintendo's decision making, since I'm not your friend's uncle who works at Nintendo. Still, if Sakurai has shown some consistency with the "best available fit" thing (I don't expect total consistency, to do that would be insanity) chances are a lot of costumes are going to follow that.

Give her an AK-47 assault rifle. There, problem solved.
Subarashi! (Magnificent.) I'm so ready for the bullet hell. :4pacman:

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not a huge fan of "a series' anniversary is now, therefore we're getting a character from that series", Nintendo has historically brought out the red carpet for Pokemon and Zelda's anniversaries in the past and this year seems to be no exception.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Zelda's anniversary date coming up at the end of this month? And this year's "big Zelda title" seems to be a $60 port of Skyward Sword. That doesn't exactly scream "rolling out the red carpet" haha.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Zelda's anniversary date coming up at the end of this month? And this year's "big Zelda title" seems to be a $60 port of Skyward Sword. That doesn't exactly scream "rolling out the red carpet" haha.
People really love to forget that the direct was the first half of 2021 huh

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It would have been accompanied by some major news on the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, after having one of his bombs blown up in his face by Mythra, that had to be delayed as Link goes through extensive facial surgery.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
By the way, this is a tangent but something that's been on my mind.

I've been skeptical of Dante for a while now, but with the addition of Pyra I'm really not seeing him happening. With Joker as a stylish gunslinger and Pyra / Mythra as a proper stance change character, I'm wondering if there's much left for Dante to cover given how much emphasis there is on giving each character some distinct mechanic, and seeing his major bases covered.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Does anybody got a .PSD template to that old Echo Fighter meme?

like I actually saw a spare link to one, but it's been taken down.
Just wanna mess around with some ideas.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
People really love to forget that the direct was the first half of 2021 huh
There were at least 5 games announced for the second half of 2021. You could argue that Skyward Sword is one of them, coming out in July. Splatoon 3, the Direct's ending bombshell, is slated for 2022.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
definitely think so. We'll have to see how popular the Replicant remake will be, but I do think there are some interesting parallels between 2B and Joker (as in, they're both characters whose games massively buffed their series' popularity
Both came out in 2017 too and have been in dozens of crossovers since. Pretty neat
Tbf an overpriced port is better than what Metroid's getting

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There were at least 5 games announced for the second half of 2021. You could argue that Skyward Sword is one of them, coming out in July. Splatoon 3, the Direct's ending bombshell, is slated for 2022.
I think it’s safe to assume we WILL get a Splatoon 3 demo this year

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes, but the entire point of the Direct is stuff for the first half. Take NMH3, it's coming out in August, but why wait until June to know it's coming out in August when they have the information and can tell us now among these other titles? Splatoon 3 was ready to get shown off, but the Zelda staff aren't ready to show off BOTW2 yet. It's pretty simple.

If you want the rest of the information, wait for E3 season.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but the entire point of the Direct is stuff for the first half. Take NMH3, it's coming out in August, but why wait until June to know it's coming out in August when they have the information and can tell us now among these other titles? Splatoon 3 was ready to get shown off, but the Zelda staff aren't ready to show off BOTW2 yet. It's pretty simple.

If you want the rest of the information, wait for E3 season.
Ahhhh okay that argument does make more sense.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

I've been skeptical of Dante for a while now, but with the addition of Pyra I'm really not seeing him happening. With Joker as a stylish gunslinger and Pyra / Mythra as a proper stance change character, I'm wondering if there's much left for Dante to cover given how much emphasis there is on giving each character some distinct mechanic, and seeing his major bases covered.
Dante and Doomguy are like those big 'hype' third party choices Smash fans keep hyping up only for them to never get in.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are going to share the same fate.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I honestly have no idea what they could choose for the Legend spirit (and its fight). I'll spit some ideas:

"Boss" rush against Torna: similar thing that they did for Persona and Dragon Quest, except with antagonists this time. The challenge mode in Xenoblade 2 already features a battle that is kinda like this.

"Boss" rush against party members: same thing but with the good guys. This one is more lame though because all of them already have fights in the base game.

Jin and Malos: Easily one of the most memorable boss fights in the game, against two fantastic antagonists. One of the hardest ones too. This fight is so ****ing hard that the victory condition is simply dropping the health of one of them to half (not both of them, just one) and a lot of players still lose it quite a few times in their first playthrough, myself included. There is a challenge mode version of this battle where the challenge is simply that you have to play the fight properly all the way to the end.

Malos or Jin on their own: not like they're pushovers alone. Although I do feel like they lose some flavor AND it would require putting one above the other. Essentially superpowered versions of Sephiroth for Jin or Shulk for Malos. I feel the Aegis, Malos is the most likely of the two because of his relationship with Pyra and Mythra, themselves already legendary spirits.

Final boss of chapter 9: it's a spoiler, but it's referenced in their trailer so they might go for it. The Acting God, Amalthus.

Coffee with Milk: another spoiler, and they would have to work around some technical issues, but it also seems like something that could be legend spirit material.

Siren: this one seems hard. I don't think any character in particular resembles Siren even if you made them giant and metal, and even if you went for something like Galleom, he looks so goofy compared to Siren. Still though, this giant robot is ever present in both Xenoblade 2 and Torna.

KOS-MOS: The rarest and quite possibly strongest and most popular of the rare blades, this DPS/Tank/Healer has received quite a bit of attention. With an exclusive Xenoblade 2 design and the privilege of getting an official figure before most of Xenoblade 2's actual main cast (and don't tell me they don't pay attention to those things when Pyra and Mythra's trailer directly references their own official figures), they could possibly get away with putting her here. According to her own words: "her power output is on par with Mythra's", who is a Legend spirit herself. She's a logic driven android so you know she isn't just bragging... is she?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are going to share the same fate.
My confidence in Crash has actually risen a bit moving forward (not enough to expect him outright but better standing than I gave him credit for just a week or so ago) and I still believe that the relative absence of Koei Tecmo is weird as hell - definitely good to tread with caution though. I can see one of them making the cut, but maybe not both.

Monster Hunter makes more sense than ever so I'm really leaning heavy into that. Which makes me a bit more skeptical in Hayabusa since that would make like... four sword-ish characters in a row, I dunno. I think we're only getting one of MH and Hayabusa, too.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Depending on if There is a Capcom character or not, I expect Dante to be Mii'd with Rex & Pyra if there is no Capcom

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, this is really soon after Mythra/Pyra's reveal, but here are the mathematically projected background colors I got for Fighter 10!

Definitely a lot more varied colors this time. Of course, this is only "minimally extended" as theoretically, there are 27 possible colors technically. I might go back later and post them here, just to see what other variations are given.

Just like last time, it should be noted not to take them seriously since this is just Math, but, it should give something to talk about I guess lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I checked by the Pyra/Mythra thread, and I saw an idea that Smash Flare and Foresight are both passive abilities. That'd be pretty cool; Different unique gimmicks for both of them to help them stand out.
Smash Flare was only used for the forward smash in the trailer, but perhaps it's a passive effect for all of Pyra's smash attacks. Or, it could be a charged effect, like Min Min's charged smashes. This would help give her an edge offensively over Mythra.
Foresight could be a Perfect Shield/split-second dodge thing. Would make her better defensively, though it might also be a bit trickier to pull off.

What do you thnk?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, this is really soon after Mythra/Pyra's reveal, but here are the mathematically projected background colors I got for Fighter 10!

Definitely a lot more varied colors this time. Of course, this is only "minimally extended" as theoretically, there are 27 possible colors technically. I might go back later and post them here, just to see what other variations are given.

Just like last time, it should be noted not to take them seriously since this is just Math, but, it should give something to talk about I guess lol.
So purple, greenish-yellow or pink, huh?

I mean, it is just a theory, but to be fair you were almost right lol. Just got the tone of green wrong.

If it ends up right again, then I'll be really curious about what this means for CP11.

I checked by the Pyra/Mythra thread, and I saw an idea that Smash Flare and Foresight are both passive abilities. That'd be pretty cool; Different unique gimmicks for both of them to help them stand out.
Smash Flare was only used for the forward smash in the trailer, but perhaps it's a passive effect for all of Pyra's smash attacks. Or, it could be a charged effect, like Min Min's charged smashes. This would help give her an edge offensively over Mythra.
Foresight could be a Perfect Shield/split-second dodge thing. Would make her better defensively, though it might also be a bit trickier to pull off.

What do you thnk?
Seems cool! I wish more characters had passive abilities like that, tbh. So far most of the characters with passives are the ones that have a meter of some sort.

What do you thnk?
Could you explain what those two are? I'm assuming Foresight was the counter thing, but I don't know what Smash Flare refers to.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So purple, greenish-yellow or pink, huh?

I mean, it is just a theory, but to be fair you were almost right lol. Just got the tone of green wrong.

If it ends up right again, then I'll be really curious about what this means for CP11.
Just to kind of clarify, it's not really a theory per say. This is just simple statistics basically.

SKX31

Smash Master

Wait, that looks like a washed out Romanian flag:

Dracula a confirmat pentru Smash Bros.* Party in Bucharest tonight for Mr. CP10? :4pacman:

*(Forgive the Google Translate, that's an attempt at "Dracula confirmed for Smash Bros.")

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

What do you thnk?
Yeah, Foresight looks like Bayo’s bat dodge (or how I’d imagine Adol’s Flash Move would work tbh). As for Smash Flare, I just thought it meant that Pyra would have more attack power in general, but I’d be interested to see if there’s some condition to activate it, like Min Min’s dragon arm power-up.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

What do you thnk?
Seems more likely Foresight is Mythra's down special and switching forms is relegated to shield special, but passive abilities would be neat.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Seems more likely Foresight is Mythra's down special and switching forms is relegated to shield special, but passive abilities would be neat.
The one thing that makes me iffy about it being a shield special is the fact that they switched in the air in the trailer. Can Steve summon his crafting table in the air? I don’t think he can, and the idea of an airdodge special seems weird to me, but I haven’t actually tried to summon it in the air before

I.D.

Smash Lord
I honestly have no idea what they could choose for the Legend spirit (and its fight). I'll spit some ideas:

"Boss" rush against Torna: similar thing that they did for Persona and Dragon Quest, except with antagonists this time. The challenge mode in Xenoblade 2 already features a battle that is kinda like this.

"Boss" rush against party members: same thing but with the good guys. This one is more lame though because all of them already have fights in the base game.

Jin and Malos: Easily one of the most memorable boss fights in the game, against two fantastic antagonists. One of the hardest ones too. This fight is so ****ing hard that the victory condition is simply dropping the health of one of them to half (not both of them, just one) and a lot of players still lose it quite a few times in their first playthrough, myself included. There is a challenge mode version of this battle where the challenge is simply that you have to play the fight properly all the way to the end.

Malos or Jin on their own: not like they're pushovers alone. Although I do feel like they lose some flavor AND it would require putting one above the other. Essentially superpowered versions of Sephiroth for Jin or Shulk for Malos. I feel the Aegis, Malos is the most likely of the two because of his relationship with Pyra and Mythra, themselves already legendary spirits.

Final boss of chapter 9: it's a spoiler, but it's referenced in their trailer so they might go for it. The Acting God, Amalthus.

Coffee with Milk: another spoiler, and they would have to work around some technical issues, but it also seems like something that could be master spirit material.

Siren: this one seems hard. I don't think any character in particular resembles Siren even if you made them giant and metal, and even if you went for something like Galleom, he looks so goofy compared to Siren. Still though, this giant robot is ever present in both Xenoblade 2 and Torna.

KOS-MOS: The rarest and quite possibly strongest and most popular of the rare blades, this DPS/Tank/Healer has received quite a bit of attention. With an exclusive Xenoblade 2 design and the privilege of getting an official figure before most of Xenoblade 2's actual main cast (and don't tell me they don't pay attention to those things when Pyra and Mythra's trailer directly references their own official figures), they could possibly get away putting her here. According to her own words: "her power output is on par with Mythra's", who is a Legend spirit herself. She's a very logical android so you know she isn't just bragging... is she?
Actually ignore this whole post because it's just a bunch of nonsense, here's the real Legend Spirit

TERRITORIAL ROTBART: Enraged giant red Donkey Kong who will one shot you with ANY attack that connects. He WILL **** you up.

Paraster

Smash Lord

Taking things too seriously is fun
Untitled.png

(I legitimately couldn't come up with anything for the green, at least not from my list of picks.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’m going in on my realistic (relatively) wants now for these three

purple: Ahri (K/DA I guess and the Purple contrasts well with her default red outfit)
Lime green: Octoling (close to the splat 3 logo’s green)
Pink: ... Reimu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom