• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
His response looked pretty definitive on that front... but I do agree that they're certainly paying more attention to requests. That might bring more good things in the next game.
We've already got a ton of long term requests with Ridley, K. Rool, the Belmonts, Banjo, etc etc. That leaves room for more characters to possibly have their time to shine regardless what direction Sakurai takes. It also helps this Smash cycle we got a lot of unexpected character requests gaining traction or at the very least be more widely accepted and taken seriously like with Doom Guy/Slayer, Reimu, Arle, etc etc that I haven't seen talked about too much until Ultimate so this could also affect things in the future. I am pleased about that nonetheless.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly I'm almost expecting KOS-MOS to be Pyra and Mythra's Legendary Spirit. Smash already has the Bandai-Namco connection and it would fit her notoriously low drop rate in the game as a Blade.
I guess it's a possibility, but making a character from a different series the Legendary Spirit of the fighter pack's series is...a very strange decision.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Isabelle also had a mechanical hook as the Leslie Knope Fursona Public Works person, which could‘ve included a lot of terraforming. Sure, you can use Tom Nook to promote New Horizons but between the character existing prior to that game, the design not being exclusive to the game and the game not being a particularly self-contained mythos in the series, I think it’s a stretch to say Animal Crossing: New Horizons needs a promotional character, and for that character to be Tom Nook specifically.
And that’s outside of the Spirit Event the game already received.

D

Deleted member

On the Direct, there were some key publishers/developers with more than 1 game announcement.

Koei-Tecmo: Samurai Warriors 5, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, & Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass
Square Enix: Legend of Mana, Project Triangle Strategy, Bravely Default 2, & SaGa Frontier Remastered
Capcom: Monster Hunter Rise, Capcom Arcade Stadium, & Ghost n' Goblins Resurrection
EA: Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, Knockout City, & Apex Legends

I only counted for the American broadcast for this, so I don't know if all of those games showed up everywhere else like Japan. With that said, all 4 companies had a good chunk of games shown off. Square Enix already has Sephiroth in Vol 2, so to expect another character would be very wild. Koei-Tecmo are in a similar position with SE with ports and developing Nintendo published games but currently have no character in Smash as of now. Capcom pretty much looks like it has everything going for another character in Vol 2, but as for EA, I can't say I see them getting a character in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...I think it’s a stretch to say Animal Crossing: New Horizons needs a promotional character, and for that character to be Tom Nook specifically.
Well, Tom Nook is at the center of this game even more than in previous games, so if they were going to add another character, it I don't think it's any sort of stretch to say it would be him.

Firox

Smash Master
To be fair, she doesn't have any human skin tone, so when blending in she was probably just able to choose whatever color mimeosome she liked best. I don't think it's quite the same thing as black face.
Exactly. I mean, I think it's kind of pathetic that people would suggest a straight-up alien could even be guilty of such a thing as black face. It's like arguing that "Edgar" from Men in Black committed cultural appropriation by ripping off a human's skin and wearing it. C'mon, people.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess it's a possibility, but making a character from a different series the Legendary Spirit of the fighter pack's series is...a very strange decision.
I mean, in this case not really. The Xenoblade series shares so much lifeblood with the Saga and Gears series to the point that their only distinction is a legal one, not an artistic one. Hell, just from what I've absorbed from friends who are fans of the series, the Zohar stuff is more of a tangible connection than some series that are already considered the same.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the Direct, there were some key publishers/developers with more than 1 game announcement.

Koei-Tecmo: Samurai Warriors 5, Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection, & Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass
Square Enix: Legend of Mana, Project Triangle Strategy, Bravely Default 2, & SaGa Frontier Remastered
Capcom: Monster Hunter Rise, Capcom Arcade Stadium, & Ghost n' Goblins Resurrection
EA: Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville, Knockout City, & Apex Legends

I only counted for the American broadcast for this, so I don't know if all of those games showed up everywhere else like Japan. With that said, all 4 companies had a good chunk of games shown off. Square Enix already has Sephiroth in Vol 2, so to expect another character would be very wild. Koei-Tecmo are in a similar position with SE with ports and developing Nintendo published games but currently have no character in Smash as of now. Capcom pretty much looks like it has everything going for another character in Vol 2, but as for EA, I can't say I see them getting a character in Smash.
There IS some rumors about an Apex Legends character being negotiated in 2019, though I’m not sure when in 2019 that happened.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I think the only downside so far is that with the pass is looking, we may possibly not get another Terry-esque pick: A character who is either influential or popular in one circle of gaming and/or region but not as popular in others. I found Terry to be very refreshing, especially being an SNK fan and people thought SNK was too small for Smash until he got revealed.

So far the pass has either been getting more content for a series already in the game in some capacity or popular requests from big franchises. I guess one can argue Pyra and Mythra count as the "lowkey" pick until you realize that people were begging for more XB2 content into Smash.

It may still be possible but it doesn't look too likely. It'd just be refreshing to get a more lowkey character in the pass since they have that kind of aura I like.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Exactly. I mean, I think it's kind of pathetic that people would suggest a straight-up alien could even be guilty of such a thing as black face. It's like arguing that "Edgar" from Men in Black committed cultural appropriation by ripping off a human's skin and wearing it. C'mon, people.
Well...I suppose you could say it is due to the definition, but in Elma's case, it's clearly not an issue, and in "Edgar"'s case...There are way worse problems with what he did. lol

I mean, in this case not really. The Xenoblade series shares so much lifeblood with the Saga and Gears series to the point that their only distinction is a legal one, not an artistic one. Hell, just from what I've absorbed from friends who are fans of the series, the Zohar stuff is more of a tangible connection than some series that are already considered the same.
Eh, I'd still say it's strange until they are considered to be the same series.

I don't know what you're talking about
They likely said that because it was her latest appearance in a while, and that's where they pulled her design from. KOS-MOS is still a Xenosaga character, not a Xenoblade Chronicles one.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I do believe the next character will be Crash and then the last will be a first party. I thought from the start this pass would be half first party and half third party. So the last character I think will probably be either a Gen 8 Pokemon or a Zelda rep. Probably Pokemon because Sakurai and Nintendo love their Pokemon characters.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
To be honest, I do feel like Pyra & Mythra shot a chance of Pokemon DLC down somewhat. A lot of people were expecting a second first party character and Pyra hit that criteria. I mean it'ss till possible we can get a new Pokemon rep but I think it's becoming less and less likely by the day with how the pass is shaping up.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be honest, I do feel like Pyra & Mythra shot a chance of Pokemon DLC down somewhat. A lot of people were expecting a second first party character and Pyra hit that criteria. I mean it'ss till possible we can get a new Pokemon rep but I think it's becoming less and less likely by the day with how the pass is shaping up.
Honestly, even ignoring this, and even ignoring the spirit battles which imo cut Sword and Shield down for good...

...the thing that really makes me think it's done and dusted is the timing. This month is literally Pokémon's twenty fifth anniversary so if one was planned the timing would've been perfect, lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know, since it’s very possible Splatoon 3 would be coming out this year were it not for COVID screwing up last year, I’m a lot more confident in Octoling now
Honestly after the Callie and Marie Mii costumes I really don't think we're getting Octoling.

Sk3tchy

Smash Rookie
Honestly, even ignoring this, and even ignoring the spirit battles which imo cut Sword and Shield down for good...

...the thing that really makes me think it's done and dusted is the timing. This month is literally Pokémon's twenty fifth anniversary so if one was planned the timing would've been perfect, lol.
So far timing to anniversaries hasn't been so much of a factor so far. Touhou's 25th anniversary happened in November last year, which could've had that possibility to have Reimu in Smash around the 25th anniversary (which is unlikely), but that didn't happen. So far I think anniversaries don't really change much when it comes to character's possibility. However unlike Touhou, Pokemon is different in that its more well known. This could also be backed up by Puyo Puyo's anniversary later this year, and the possibility that Arle doesn't get in as well.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
In regards to Monster Hunter rep, other than the obvious choice of the Hunter or a Palico, are there any notable monsters that can work as playable characters?
I mean, in Monster Hunter Stories, the Monsters you ride in battle are much smaller than in the main series.

So it's not necessarily impossible to make a playable Monster smaller, but it could come across as weird when the Monsters are known for being frickin' big. On the subject of which monster would be the best pick, besides Rathalos, the most notable one is Nergigante, who practically has all the tools of a fighting game character.
On the other hand, Deviljho would be Sephiroth-stalking-Cloud levels of hilarious. ********* Pickle was so hungry and unsatisfied with the monsters in the New World that it travelled to another world to find bigger fish to eat.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Anniversary's are something that have been an iffy thing here. Most of the time when people expect an announcement of a character because of a franchises anniversary, it usually doesn't pan out.

I think Sakurai is someone who'd rather make sure the character is ready and if they happen to come out on their Anniversary then it's a bonus. If not then he just works them as scheduled without rushing to meet a milestone.

Firox

Smash Master
So far timing to anniversaries hasn't been so much of a factor so far. Touhou's 25th anniversary happened in November last year, which could've had that possibility to have Reimu in Smash around the 25th anniversary (which is unlikely), but that didn't happen. So far I think anniversaries don't really change much when it comes to character's possibility. However unlike Touhou, Pokemon is different in that its more well known.
To be fair, have anniversaries EVER played a role in a Smash DLC release? To my knowledge, Smash has had absolutely zero regard for anniversaries.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So far timing to anniversaries hasn't been so much of a factor so far. Touhou's 25th anniversary happened in November last year, which could've had that possibility to have Reimu in Smash around the 25th anniversary (which is unlikely), but that didn't happen. So far I think anniversaries don't really change much when it comes to character's possibility. However unlike Touhou, Pokemon is different in that its more well known.
People have been saying that Pokémon's status as the biggest media franchise in the world should afford it some exceptions, like being excluded from "post-launch spirits are a death knell."

Therefore, I am also making an exception for it for its anniversary meaning something. The only difference is that this exception means it's out instead of still in, but exceptions are exceptions. :V

Last edited:

Sk3tchy

Smash Rookie
To be fair, have anniversaries EVER played a role in a Smash DLC release? To my knowledge, Smash has had absolutely zero regard for anniversaries.
Uh, that's what I mean. That's kind of my point though that anniversaries don't mean much for Smash.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Tom Nook does have his own potential for a mechanical hook though what with him being a moneylender and businessman and all. I still don't think they'll add him because Isabelle was already used to promote the game, but I don't think moveset potential is an issue.

That reminds me: A lot of the new features in Animal Crossing: New Horizons are provided by Tom Nook, so him using these features would make a lot of sense.
Maybe as an Alt? Could work, but judging by :ultmewtwo: , we all know how Sakurai feels about Tail Hurtboxes.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Two questions for you all.

1. How many songs do you think Pythra will come with?

2. Do you think they might add Xenoblade X music?

Looking at Byleth and Min Min, we will likely get 15+ music tracks and for X, I have a feeling that Sakurai might want to throw fans of the game a bone considering that X only has spirits and no music at all. Even if it's just a couple songs, it would be greatly appreciated and I don't see why they wouldn't do it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Looking at Byleth and Min Min, we will likely get 15+ music tracks and for X, I have a feeling that Sakurai might want to throw fans of the game a bone considering that X only has spirits and no music at all. Even if it's just a couple songs, it would be greatly appreciated and I don't see why they wouldn't do it.
Think it depend at how cool Monolith with sharing tracks & how costy those tracks will be.

What I really wonder atm tho is which music is gonna get remixed.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I think X music depends on several factors:

1. If they’re able to get permission from Hiroyuki Sawano
2. If they don’t have Elma planned later on, whether the rare double dip or even future DLC if it’s even planned. BIG IF.

Torna music is certain tho, and possibly 1 DE music as well

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
All I want if we were to get Xenoblade Chronicles X music is Wir Fliegen, Black Tar, and No.EX 01 at the very least. Even one of them would be fine but I ain't holding my breath for it even getting acknowledged soon.

being a fan of XBX is suffering at times.

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly I'm almost expecting KOS-MOS to be Pyra and Mythra's Legendary Spirit. Smash already has the Bandai-Namco connection and it would fit her notoriously low drop rate in the game as a Blade.
You know what - despite how unrealistic that feels - I'd take that. Given how Sakurai basically gave up and said "**** it, we're gonna make practically every DLC Legendary Spirit OP as hell so people have some reason to use them in the really rare case they play Spirit Battles". Sure, some are really situational: Luminary's Party (or Hero's Comrades) is useless in 1v1s but excels in team battles while Grunty's effect only works in a Poison environment but buffs the user to practically :metaknight: levels (if not higher).

You know, since it’s very possible Splatoon 3 would be coming out this year were it not for COVID screwing up last year, I’m a lot more confident in Octoling now
Man, when that reveal trailer was first shown I was so ready for a Splatoon x FallOut crossover out of nowhere.

Eh, Splatoon 3's still looks nice.

Not what I know, no. The only anniversary-related character was :4littlemac: :

(Man, I miss Sm4sh's footstool shenaningas. I enjoyed watching it for the same reason I enjoyed watching some of Brawl's jank.)

1. Going conservative and saying around 10 if a bit lower because of the tracks already in.
2. Yes for the reasons you stated + there might be more incentive for Sawano to cooperate with the small but notable monetary bonus DLC brings. Might be a no though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we do get X music, Uncontrollable and aBOreSSs and the Yggralith Zero theme are MUSTS

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I also think that Pokémon chances in the pass are dead. Not only the spirits event hurts the chances of gen 8 rep, but Pokémon will most likely have a new game announced very soon (probably Diamond/Pearl remake). This means that Sword/shield will already be irrelevant by the time the next fighter is announced. I think this fighter was our last chance for Pokémon and they didn't do it. I'd be pretty surprised to see a new Pokémon in the last two spots.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I need Counterattack. Torna Battle Theme would be baller too. I don't care how many songs we get as long as those two, but if I had to guess, probably at least 10.

I don't know much about X but I have heard snippets of songs and they sound pretty good so I'd like it if they add those good ones lol Couldn't name them. I also don't think they would add more than 2 XBX songs if at all and I think that depends on the total number of songs (i.e. under 10 songs = 0 XBX, 11-13 = 1-2 XBX; something like that).

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

1. Around 15 or so, none of them will be Remixes though, and it will consist of Remastered Xenoblade 1 Tracks (that will also get the Base 7 updated like Cloud's Final Smash), Future Connected, 2, and Torna.

2. Only way we are getting X Music Tracks is if Sawano is doing the Remix himself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Thinking maybe 11-ish, the usual. Maybe a couple songs from DE and X, which might bump it up a little or replace some XC2 songs

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Getting Pythra instead of a Gen 8 'mon would put us squarely in Best Timeline territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom