• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Someone on Twitter made some alts for Pyra/Mythra:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I think that's Hinata Hinata (unless someone else is taking credit for them) (EDIT: I feel foolish; I just saw the username for the Twitter account)

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
One problem Brawl Zelda and Brawl PT had was the animation, where it took a small but noticeable moment for the transformation to actually complete and for the switched-in character to be ready. Which is a problem even in a slower game like Brawl since that's an ample punish opportunity if one anticipates it. It was especially bad for :pt: who had to switch in order to avoid fatigue setting in (the Stamina mechanic)... but could only switch on the ground.

While any transformation can be punished if one sees it coming, it's a tad more difficult to punish :ultpokemontrainer: 's transformations, and likewise Pya's / Mythra's switching will likely be the same. It could be different of course, but I'm not seeing it as likely.
I was replaying through Brawl last year. I was on Rumble Falls, for one of the Event Matches iirc, so I had to play as either Shiek or Zelda. I decided to try transforming. I failed two or three times before giving up on transforming. The lag was so bad that the stage would kill me for doing so.

SKX31

Smash Master
Someone on Twitter made some alts for Pyra/Mythra:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I think that's Hinata Hinata (unless someone else is taking credit for them)

Also the alts were posted on Reddit, with the same username.

I was replaying through Brawl last year. I was on Rumble Falls, for one of the Event Matches iirc, so I had to play as either Shiek or Zelda. I decided to try transforming. I failed two or three times before giving up on transforming. The lag was so bad that the stage would kill me for doing so.
Oh **** it was that bad? Haven't replayed or seen much Brawl footage recently, but in both Zelda's and PT's cases the disks loads the character model, and that's why it's taking time. Apparently, according to SSBWiki: "Forcing the game to load the next character through an SD card via hacking will result in a transformation time comparable to Melee's, due to SD cards naturally being faster to access than the game disc. "

Also:

Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat movie crossover when? :p

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

This is pretty ****ing crazy for a franchise that people didn't seem to realize was a sequel, wonder if 2B's Smash popularity will maintain over the years for this

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
1. Sakurai: Everyone is the protagonist in Xenoblade 2 and its creator wanted them.
2. Technical difficulties having Rex play with Blades being involved.
3. Pyra & Mythra being chosen as they actually do the fighting.

Those are my bets.
I feel like a much more straightforward answer than all of these except for 2 would be that technically we already have a main protagonist repping Xenoblade in Shulk, so from that point on they just add whoever they think is more interesting

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Regarding those Pyra/Mythra alts, the references to other Xeno characters are nice, but uh...

I think some people would probably react unfavorably to what are essentially "blackface" alts. I don't think giving a dark-skinned color to what's usually a white character gives off good vibes, especially with how much tension there already is over the issue of Smash's lack of PoC characters.

Outside of characters like Inkling and Villager (which is fine because they're customizable avatars anyways), I don't think there's any alts in Smash (at least Ultimate) that outright changes the skin color of the human(ish) characters, right?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Regarding those Pyra/Mythra alts, the references to other Xeno characters are nice, but uh...

I think some people would probably react unfavorably to what are essentially "blackface" alts. I don't think giving a dark-skinned color to what's usually a white character gives off good vibes, especially with how much tension there already is over the issue of Smash's lack of PoC characters.

Outside of characters like Inkling and Villager (which is fine because they're customizable avatars anyways), I don't think there's any alts in Smash (at least Ultimate) that outright changes the skin color of the human(ish) characters, right?
Dark Pit’s red alt actually does change his skin color. It’s not as noticeable as in the proposed Aegis alt, but it‘s definitely there

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Nah

It happened before, Ganondorf also have different skin colors, green, blue, unnatural skin colors yeah, but they're here.

Huh, seem I misremembere Byleth Claude alt skin, I remembered it being darker.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I don't think that's an actual issue, ArcSys is infamous for this and the only issue people have with them doing that is whitewashing PoC characters with alts. They didn't do that for Nagoriyuki luckily. If anything I've seen quite a lot of people upset that the Claude palette for Byleth is white, particularly my Middle Eastern friends

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't think that's an actual issue, ArcSys is infamous for this and the only issue people have with them doing that is whitewashing PoC characters with alts. They didn't do that for Nagoriyuki luckily. If anything I've seen quite a lot of people upset that the Claude palette for Byleth is white, particularly my Middle Eastern friends
Claude's Pallete on Byleth should've been Tan just because it fits Claude's Color Scheme better.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Trolling

Wait til you see blue Ganondorf :laugh:

Also complaining about a "blackface" Elma alt :laugh: That is just SO ironic

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Sadly you did, loads of people editted it onlne and I feel like it's an uncommon palette by players which explains mistaking it for real
Me not playing Byleth much is probably the reason why, but like you mentionned, it's probably because of edits & fanart that I misremembered.

Either way, oof moment on me.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I believe that both remaining characters are from companies that already have a playable character in the game.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

This is pretty ****ing crazy for a franchise that people didn't seem to realize was a sequel, wonder if 2B's Smash popularity will maintain over the years for this
I think 2B will have very high chances in the next Smash or maybe even in pass 3 if that happen. I think Square is more and more open to work with Nintendo for Smash (as seen with the amount of content Sephiroth got), and I doubt that they would go for a third FF characters or a second DQ rep. I remember in 2019 people were legit calling me crazy and that 2B would never got in before a Bravely characters, but this make me confirm that Nier is way bigger than people realise. I'm sure replicant ver.122.... will do great too.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If you’ll pardon the comparison to X

Pyra/Mythra are the Elma of XC2 - they’re the real driving force of the story. Rex is the Cross - just along for the ride, with Cross being a literal self insert
I disagree. Rex may have stumbled upon the plot, but he's in no way a passive character, and he often makes the final decisions for the group. If anything, Pyra and Mythra are along for the ride, as most of the plot decisions are made by Rex and his companions.

As for Cross, I'd say all of Team Elma holds a similar narrative weight (which, other than taking part in major battles is...not that much honestly), it's just that Elma is usually the one speaking in cutscenes.

Also complaining about a "blackface" Elma alt :laugh: That is just SO ironic
To be fair, she doesn't have any human skin tone, so when blending in she was probably just able to choose whatever color mimeosome she liked best. I don't think it's quite the same thing as black face.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Show thought: Sakurai did mention that he wasn't sure what would and would not be in the Direct because of COVID making every release date somewhat nebulous, which implies he has seen some unannounced games nearing completion.

Now, where that's for DLC or future spirit events is unknown. I'm still iffy on the idea of a promotional rep due to the fact we still lack solid games to pull that character from, but I could see a situation where the gap between the release and addition to Smash of this character is smaller than what we've historically seen due to COVID.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Show thought: Sakurai did mention that he wasn't sure what would and would not be in the Direct because of COVID making every release date somewhat nebulous, which implies he has seen some unannounced games nearing completion.

Now, where that's for DLC or future spirit events is unknown. I'm still iffy on the idea of a promotional rep due to the fact we still lack solid games to pull that character from, but I could see a situation where the gap between the release and addition to Smash of this character is smaller than what we've historically seen due to COVID.
I'm thinking Nintendo probably has Monetary Incentive to bring in more New Horizons Content if Sakurai isn't willing to go into 2022 with Splatoon 3.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm thinking Nintendo probably has Monetary Incentive to bring in more New Horizons Content if Sakurai isn't willing to go into 2022 with Splatoon 3.
Except as shown with Isabelle being a semi-clone, there's not much in the way of moveset potential for the characters.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
In terms of a Volume 3, they could theoretically do it - there's enough Switch lifetime for about one or two more 2-year long seasons. And it's certainly worth it money-wise, according to Nintendo.

Thing is, from a development perspective, things have stretched out since Smash 4. So in that sense, I can understand why Sakurai and team would want to stop, and I think it's best to take his word for it when he says it's the end.

So basically: I do think it's technically possible, but the chances are really, really low.
I do feel like the chances have increased somewhat with Fighters Pass 2 apparently selling really well. It may not be likely but the possibility is a bit better than before. With how Sakurai worded it, it's not a "Definite" no but at the same time, is the kind of response you can put out on the chance plans do in fact change. I won't be shocked if we don't get a new fighters pass but I also wouldn't be shocked if we get some Post-FP2 content in some way, shape, or form even if it isn't a fighters pass.

And I imagine the fanbases response towards certain characters who may have not made the cut will give Sakurai future ideas if he does do another pass or does a new game. It's still good input on his end regardless.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do feel like the chances have increased somewhat with Fighters Pass 2 apparently selling really well. It may not be likely but the possibility is a bit better than before. With how Sakurai worded it, it's not a "Definite" no but at the same time, is the kind of response you can put out on the chance plans do in fact change. I won't be shocked if we don't get a new fighters pass but I also wouldn't be shocked if we get some Post-FP2 content in some way, shape, or form even if it isn't a fighters pass.

And I imagine the fanbases response towards certain characters who may have not made the cut will give Sakurai future ideas if he does do another pass or does a new game. It's still good input on his end regardless.
I got a “definite” vibe from it though, unless he takes a brief hiatus as I may have suggested between pass 2 and 3

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Except as shown with Isabelle being a semi-clone, there's not much in the way of moveset potential for the characters.
Umm............
-Terraformation adds a ton
  • Focus more on the Tools.
  • Nook Miles could lead to some fun chaos.
  • Stage, Music, and other content would be distinct from the rest of Animal Crossing in Smash.
Yeah, there's still some incentive from Sakurai if there's no other options for this character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
It's interesting that the second fighter pass is leaning more towards newer characters with 3/4 currently revealed characters being made in the last 10 or so years. Do you think the last 2 characters will from older franchises?
I'm thinking Hayabusa is next, but after him it's 2020 and beyond.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I got a “definite” vibe from it though, unless he takes a brief hiatus as I may have suggested between pass 2 and 3
I imagine we'll see what he'll have to say come the next two characters. If he does the hiatus route, I can see him take a break, probably work on another game that isn't Smash, and come back.

I doubt Nintendo will want the game to be totally dead afterwards so I imagine some kind of support may happen in this case, even if it isn't new DLC. Possible balance changes or spirits, perhaps? It'd be interesting to see how things will go after FP2.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tom Nook does have his own potential for a mechanical hook though what with him being a moneylender and businessman and all. I still don't think they'll add him because Isabelle was already used to promote the game, but I don't think moveset potential is an issue.

Umm............
-Terraformation adds a ton
  • Focus more on the Tools.
  • Nook Miles could lead to some fun chaos.
  • Stage, Music, and other content would be distinct from the rest of Animal Crossing in Smash.
Yeah, there's still some incentive from Sakurai if there's no other options for this character.
That reminds me: A lot of the new features in Animal Crossing: New Horizons are provided by Tom Nook, so him using these features would make a lot of sense.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
It's interesting that the second fighter pass is leaning more towards newer characters with 3/4 currently revealed characters being made in the last 10 or so years. Do you think the last 2 characters will from older franchises?
Well the feelings I have right now are that one of the characters will be from a new company such as Crash for Activision, Hayabusa for Koei, or Sol Badguy for Arc System Works while the other will be from an already represented company like Capcom, Namco, or SEGA, but I wouldn't be surprised if the last two are actually first party characters. :p

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I definitely think so. We'll have to see how popular the Replicant remake will be, but I do think there are some interesting parallels between 2B and Joker (as in, they're both characters whose games massively buffed their series' popularity).

His response looked pretty definitive on that front... but I do agree that they're certainly paying more attention to requests. That might bring more good things in the next game.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
In regards to Monster Hunter rep, other than the obvious choice of the Hunter or a Palico, are there any notable monsters that can work as playable characters?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm almost expecting KOS-MOS to be Pyra and Mythra's Legendary Spirit. Smash already has the Bandai-Namco connection and it would fit her notoriously low drop rate in the game as a Blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom