• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Geno is probably a bad example since him being missing did sort of end up indicating that we’d end up with another Square character.

If the MH costumes aren’t revealed with Pyra, Phoenix, Dante, Chun-Li and the hunters will definitely be picks to keep a look out for on the next reveal date.
I don't think it was an indication of another Square-Enix character, since we didn't know another Fighters Pass was coming and no one really thought we were going to get double dipping for companies in Pass 1 or even in Pass 2 until Steve happened and people didn't expect much of Square-Enix due to 'stingy-ness'.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
How about a slight deviation: What are your favorite character designs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
I know it's been discussed to death, but :ultbanjokazooie:’s updated design is still nothing short of magical. It just ticked all the right boxes, splashing their OG N64 renders with a fresh coat of paint instead of really tweaking anything. And every single animation of theirs is filled to the brim with Rare’s trademark personality. You don’t have to love how their entire kit seems based around Grenade Egg and Wonderwing, but you can’t deny the design is A+++.

:ultridley:is also a huge one for me. No 3D Ridley has ever looked this menacing and eerie before. Before his Ultimate reveal, I couldn’t shake the dopeyass-looking model from his Smash 4 stage out of my head. He looked fine in Brawl, but even in Prime and Other M, I felt like they were having real trouble translating him from 2D to 3D. His Ultimate design blew any and all expectations I had out of the water. Like, this is top-notch creature design and it would be insane for Nintendo to not try to replicate it for future Metroid games.

There’s something about:ultbowser: that I absolutely love in Ultimate, too. I’ve always been a huge fan of Sakurai’s take on Bowser, trying to replicate the more monstrous version he envisioned when he played the first Mario game. Melee and Brawl felt a little too far in an edgy direction, while Smash 4 felt way too close to the Dorky Dad Bowser we got in Sunshine. But I think his design in Ultimate just crushes that perfect balance.

And of course I have to talk about :ultzelda:. I went from literally forgetting that she was on the roster in Smash 4 to pocket-maining her in Ultimate. Whatever they did to her from a technical perspective at least made her a viable pick this time, but her redesign just does wonders, too. Everything she does, from her taunts to the way she fiercely concentrates while magically charging up a Phantom, finally has an ounce of humanity and charm behind it. She’s almost like a blend of Skyward Sword and BotW Zeldas, which is such a beautiful change after “deathly stoic Zelda” three games in a row.

:ultrob:. ROB. I ****ing love that they put ROB in Smash in the first place. I love how much Nintendo still loves their awkward little trojan horse robot thing. I love how he has a jetpack and lasers. I love how his stupid gyros from Gyromite are incorporated into his moveset. I love how his updated Ultimate model is rendered to look like he’s made of actual plastic. I’m a sucker for this kind of thing. I love ROB. His inclusion, like G&W and Duck Hunt’s, is so underrated.

Finally, my boy :ultsimon:. It’s literally exactly what I hoped Sakurai would do with him. The strut, the grimace, the barbarian-esque garb, the long flowing blonde locks, the weapons, the weird crouch-jump, all of it. Chef’s kiss, Sakurai. After Ice Climbers, Pit, and Megaman, I had no doubt.

In terms of gameplay design, I really loved how Sakurai made Duck Hunt. The Smash attacks and specials basically being an offscreen player shooting at the stage is super brilliant.
I'm honestly in awe whenever I take the time to appreciate K. Rool in Ultimate. He looks absolutely perfect.
:ultduckhunt:and :ultkrool:are also enormous highlights for me, but I’m quickly falling asleep over here so there ya go.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think it was an indication of another Square-Enix character, since we didn't know another Fighters Pass was coming and no one really thought we were going to get double dipping for companies in Pass 1 or even in Pass 2 until Steve happened and people didn't expect much of Square-Enix due to 'stingy-ness'.
I mean, the thing was, during FP1, it wasn't an indicator that we'd get another Square character(Unless you were a Geno fan, no offense meant), it just meant that it was probably cut outright.

When FP2 happened? Eh, I'd wager people were a little more open to the idea. Yeah, it grained a lot more traction thanks to Steve, I admit, but like, how many people were predicting Geno? That's already a double dip, so the thought wasn't unheard of.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I mean, the thing was, during FP1, it wasn't an indicator that we'd get another Square character(Unless you were a Geno fan, no offense meant), it just meant that it was probably cut outright.

When FP2 happened? Eh, I'd wager people were a little more open to the idea. Yeah, it grained a lot more traction thanks to Steve, I admit, but like, how many people were predicting Geno? That's already a double dip, so the thought wasn't unheard of.
Yeah, though I thought Geno's chances died with Hero and then again with Sephiroth until he was Mii Costume'd.
Unless our Final Fighters are Monster Hunter and Lloyd Irving, the only three missing Mii Costumes based on characters from Smash 4, its hard to say they won't just end up like Geno as Red Herrings.

I also don't think we had any characters originally released as Mii Costumes in Smash 4 upgraded as Ultimate DLC Fighters yet..yeah, we had Chrom, K. Rool, & Isabelle in the base game, but not yet for DLC..which, to me, feels kinda odd to just start now at the last two characters left.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, though I thought Geno's chances died with Hero and then again with Sephiroth until he was Mii Costume'd.
Unless our Final Fighters are Monster Hunter and Lloyd Irving, the only three missing Mii Costumes based on characters from Smash 4, its hard to say they won't just end up like Geno as Red Herrings.
And that's a very real possibility, hell, I think most people expect Lloyd to die come the Pyra/Mythra presentation due to the Xeno-series' history with Namco.

It's not a hard confirm if Monster Hunter miss this wave, it's something to simply keep an eye on. They could very easily be tossed in as filler costumes in a future wave, or they could be saved for a Capcom character, at this point, we don't know, and that's assuming they even make it past this upcoming Mii Fighter showcase.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel like I'm the only one apathetic about Greninja's design and wish they had stuck with the cloud motif.

One of my hottest takes is that were it up to me I would've chosen Lyn over Ike and then been free to give Chrom an original Ike-like moveset.
Brawl could've easily went with both Ike and Lyn. Overall, Ike is the better choice as he started in two games, and Lyn had to share her role with Eliwood and Hector, eventually even taking the backseat for both of them.

Shroob

Sup?
Brawl could've easily went with both Ike and Lyn. Overall, Ike is the better choice as he started in two games, and Lyn had to share her role with Eliwood and Hector, eventually even taking the backseat for both of them.
God, I remember back in Brawl people used to toss around "Japan hates Lyn since they don't like how her chapter's a tutorial!"

I dunno how bull**** that statement is, but that's hilarious in hindsight seeing how she's handled in the Mobile game, with like a bajillion ****million alts nowadays.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And yet I'd still do it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Everyone has already noticed the "handling a man's turtle" reference in their trailer but there are others a bit more spoiler heavy and I'm here wondering if I should post them.

Ahhh the drawbacks of supporting RPG characters

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
And that's a very real possibility, hell, I think most people expect Lloyd to die come the Pyra/Mythra presentation due to the Xeno-series' history with Namco.

It's not a hard confirm if Monster Hunter miss this wave, it's something to simply keep an eye on. They could very easily be tossed in as filler costumes in a future wave, or they could be saved for a Capcom character, at this point, we don't know, and that's assuming they even make it past this upcoming Mii Fighter showcase.
Very true..I just learned not to read too much into a late confirmation with how Sakurai waited until the very last Smash Direct before Ultimate's Release to reveal that Shadow & Isaac were still just Assist Trophies instead of being upgraded to an Echo Fighter & Fighter respectively when everyone believed it was just so obvious that at least Shadow would become an Echo Fighter replaced by the new Assist Trophy of Knuckles.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I was going through my Xenoblade 2 artbook to find these used and unused alternate colours / designs for Pyra & Mythra that they could pull colours from.
20210219_051317~01.jpg 20210219_051230.jpg 20210219_051204.jpg
I also think they could get alts, perhaps Pyra in her Gomotti disguise and Mythra as 'Spoiler' since I think her only costume alts were Ultimate's design, Towel, & Swimsuit.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Dunkeys video on the direct:
Dunkey Direct (2.18.2021) - YouTube
What do you think?
Not going to lie, kind of feel the same way about the direct as he does. All those RPGs from Square Enix and none of them are Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross. Although I was never expecting Crash Bandicoot to be Fighter 9, I was hoping that it wouldn't be another anime sword fighter so along with nothing I wanted to see, that's pretty much put a damper on my excitement for more Nintendo directs. Starting to like the idea of shadow drops more than directs now.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
On dunkey case, do we really need the opinion of someone who openly state he hate JRPG when it come to a JRPG heavy direct ? (edit: or one that feel heavy at least)

It's like asking someone who hate football his opinion on the latest football match. If you hear it once, you already know what they're gonna to say.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of which, I kinda find it funny how people begged for Directs back, and now the general reaction seems to be "whelmed".

Like, gonna be real with ya, outside of E3, Directs have always been kinda whelmed, it's usually one or two BIG titles/reveals and then just a bunch of small ****.

Like, going back to compare, I watched the September 2019 Direct, the last one that we had before the 530 day wait and like... holy **** there's a whole lot of nothing here. You had some New Horizon news, which took up a solid 8 or so minutes of the total runtime, you had Terry's reveal, you had a teaser for the Xenoblade 1 remake, and the rest is just "Hey, this game is out now!" "That game, is out now!" "Here's some games we're adding to NSO!"

I feel like the spectacle of Directs is what people missed moreso than Directs themselves, because TBF, IMO, Directs are usually hit or miss, with the only really BIG one being the E3 one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Starting to like the idea of shadow drops more than directs now.
I read this as shallow drops, which kind of fits the point of disliking JRPGs and ****ty item drops from enemies lmao.
On dunkey case, do we really need the opinion of someone who openly state he hate JRPG when it come to a JRPG heavy direct ?

It's like asking someone who hate football his opinion on the latest football match. If you hear it once, you already know what they're gonna to say.
Ok but the funny Knack guy said it so his opinions must be worthwhile!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
On dunkey case, do we really need the opinion of someone who openly state he hate JRPG when it come to a JRPG heavy direct ?

Can someone tell me why the latest direct is considered jrpg heavy when there's only 4 jrpgs that were shown in said direct?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I read this as shallow drops, which kind of fits the point of disliking JRPGs and ****ty item drops from enemies lmao.

Ok but the funny Knack guy said it so his opinions must be worthwhile!
Knack 2 is still the best game ever, that's a fact.

But outside of that point, why does people's ask his opinion on JRPG so much? I'm guessing trolling or just to reinforce their opinions because a popular YouTube agree with them, but it's the same dude who played a "sonic had a rough transition in 3D" joke painfully straight without anything clever to it to make it funny. Alongside other problems in his other videos .
Can someone tell me why the latest direct is considered jrpg heavy when there's only 4 jrpgs that were shown in said direct?
Will say it feel JRPG heavy due to how it start and how paced each reveal are (especially the Project Octopath-like one) . Tho it's true there isn't only JRPG in it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Their normals are the same. Only the specials are different.
Never said their normals weren't the same, but from what I can make of the footage, it seems that, just like I said in my original post you quoted, Pyra is geared to be the powerhouse while Mythra is the speedy/combo based character.

They definitely seem distinct enough from one another that it's hard for me to call one a clone, but I guess we'll know for sure when the presentation airs.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

I.D.

Smash Lord
Everyone has already noticed the "handling a man's turtle" reference in their trailer but there are others a bit more spoiler heavy and I'm here wondering if I should post them.

Ahhh the drawbacks of supporting RPG characters
You know what, **** it, here they are if anyone's curious. Contains at least one lategame spoiler so click at your own risk:

1. Pyra and Mythra's official figure poses

2. World Tree

3. Handling a man's turtle!

4. Mythra meets Jin and Lora

A bit of a stretch, but the fact she's using Chroma Dust (Torna move) while fighting Sephiroth (self-explanatory) and Simon (whip) make me think this is referencing her first appearance in Torna

5. Xenoblade 2's box art

Rex and Pyra looking at the World Tree with Uraya deciding to photobomb

6. Malos and Akhos

Sacred Arrow + The colors make it really obvious that they are referencing their boss fight.

7. Amalthus

The blue skin and white hair make it really obvious. Inkling is less obvious but he's most likely referencing Amalthus' tentacle armor.

8. The big X logo

Barely a reference but still, the big X logo of the series, formed by the swords clashing.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Big brain time here, so take this with a big grain of salt, but what if the reason they haven't revealed the alt is because Rex is replaced with Addam (Mythra first/previous driver) in some alts?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Rex doesn't appear in the character renders so that seems really pointless.
Yeah, but he apparear in a taunt & two final smash.

Not saying it will happen, because they have to bring back Addam VA, make a new 3D model for him and change Rex animation to match Addam personality (alongside others details I won't go here). but IF they do it, it could make for a nice easter egg for the fans. (again, not saying it's likely by any mean, just havin' fun here)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Kinda, but I love JRPGs so I ain't complaining.
I feel sort of the same way.

I do admit though, I wish we could have a FPS character, since the genre is so big for gaming as a whole, it's weird one the biggest crossover of all time doesn't have any character that really fit the bill (and no, Samus doesn't count). Sadly, the chance of it happening is looking grimmer and grimmer by the day.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, but he apparear in a taunt & two final smash.

Not saying it will happen, because they have to bring back Addam VA, make a new 3D model for him and change Rex animation to match Addam personality (alongside others details I won't go here). but IF they do it, it could make for a nice easter egg for the fans. (again, not saying it's likely by any mean, just havin' fun here)
I agree that they are probably hiding something special if they are hiding the alts, I just don't think it will be Addam of all things. And if it were Addam it wouldn't make sense to hide the renders because he wouldn't appear there.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I agree that they are probably hiding something special if they are hiding the alts, I just don't think it will be Addam of all things. And if it were Addam it wouldn't make sense to hide the renders because he wouldn't appear there.
You do have a good point, but I wonder why none of the screenshot on the website don't show any alts either.

Think every DLC beforehand showed 1 alt at least, even if you couldn't switch the render colors. (EDIT: wait, nevermind, Min-Min screenshot don't show any alts,can't remember if you could switch the render color at the time)

So either it's alot of nothing or somethin' fishy is going on that we don't know yet.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Maybe the alts just aren't finished yet, especially since it's double the workload? I doubt they'd be shy about spoilers when Byleth got their Sothis form, which showed up on the site asap.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
You do have a good point, but I wonder why none of the screenshot on the website don't show any alts either.

Think every DLC beforehand showed 1 alt at least, even if you couldn't switch the render colors. (EDIT: wait, nevermind, Min-Min screenshot don't show any alts,can't remember if you could switch the render color at the time)

So either it's alot of nothing or somethin' fishy is going on that we don't know yet.
I distinctly remember knowing the Min Min alts in advance.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
in smash she does. but it fit's her character. Mythra's forward specials is clearly some form of teleportation, however it's logical for the aegis to do it whereas rex isn't special on his own, he would essentially hold back pyra and mythra, the character would be slower and probably less fun, i think i's better they included them on their own, even though i like rex better than most.
That isnt teleportation lol. That is what foresight looks like sped up. She is dodging at the speed of light

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I know, I don't actually believe it..but it is really funny that everyone has a fire attack thus far, aside from Mythra, lol
Its also very try about how common it is, the only character without a Fire Attack in all of the DLC is Banjo & Kazooie, unless you count the explosion of their Egg Grenade since all of the rest of the DLC characters do have fire attacks.
Joker and byleth have no fire attack

I.D.

Smash Lord
Maybe the alts just aren't finished yet, especially since it's double the workload? I doubt they'd be shy about spoilers when Byleth got their Sothis form, which showed up on the site asap.
I find this doubtful. Based on previous characters, Sakurai's presentation is almost guaranteed to have already been recorded by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom