• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Let's also hope the character doesn't get leaked at the last minute.

Happened with Sephiroth, want the same to happen here.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I've had this weird hunch about Undertale since... well, for a while. If it happens now, I'll be damned.
Probably won't.

Nintendo wants all eyes on this Direct. Seems to work as the video on YouTube already has over 8k people waiting for it and it's over a day away lol.

Sure. Last year was an anomaly in so many ways, better to not look for patterns too much. I reckon the characters would've been spaced out more evenly had the pandemic not struck upon us. So I guess things are expected to speed up a little. We're getting a Direct after all the "Nintendo Directs are dead!" mantra's after all.
I mean, still, the spacing of DLC characters has remained pretty consistent even with the pandemic, with the only real change being the guess who game, and Steve's long gap, which can be explained by Minecon.

But this is absolutely weird. Having a character in October, one in December, and now potentially on in Feb, the releases have sped up, dramatically, and it's hard to see it any other way. We're suddenly getting a character every 2 months.

Now, yes, this 100% hinges on if the character revealed tomorrow drops in Feb and they don't pull a "They still need a bit more time in development, they'll be coming out March X"...

But if they DO come out this month? Well, I think it's honestly kinda shocking.

D

Deleted member

The hiragana literally says “houhou” though, probably just translated to “heh” as a translator’s choice
Translation error, it should read "Teehee, it seems there will be Smash information in the upcoming Direct. Teehee"

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
She obviously is a video game character..... i'm confused here. Are you saying she can't get in cause she's Mary and would cause religious issues?
I don't think the Magdeline stuff would actually impact her chances, even if my orifinal interpretation was correct. I was just making a dumb joke.

Also, Mary Magdalene isn't Mary, Jesus's mother. Different people. I was raised Catholic, I know these things.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
For the people saying "this is too early for cp9" remember all of the characters shown in directs usually release about 2 months later. We might not be able to play with cp9 for a while.

Polan

Smash Lord
I don't think the Magdeline stuff would actually impact her chances, even if my orifinal interpretation was correct. I was just making a dumb joke.

Also, Mary Magdalene isn't Mary, Jesus's mother. Different people. I was raised Catholic, I know these things.
beating up jesus' mother as ridley would be pretty damn funny tho

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Doesn't Chun Li have a very famous victory pose with a laugh that sounds similiar to the Japanese version of Sakurai's tweet?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
There's no way. Not only would it somewhat justify the ridiculous, out there theories if this was ACTUALLY a hint, but it would mean that this planet isn't big enough to house Sakurai's Galaxy Brain while he plays 5 dimensional chess with us.
I mean... it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai was being sly using binary.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
For the people saying "this is too early for cp9" remember all of the characters shown in directs usually release about 2 months later. We might not be able to play with cp9 for a while.
I mean, you're not wrong, but at the same time, we haven't had a "Direct" character since MinMin really, and at this point, it feels more like an outlier than anything.

I'm fully bracing for a later on release date, no doubt, but it 'feels' like with Byleth, they got their marketing down to a science. Releasing a teaser for a character months in advance definitely builds up a burst of excitement, but does that excitement carry on for the months of waiting to play them? Honestly, the system they introduced with Byleth "feels" like it curbs hype a lot better. Instead of letting it flounder for months, it's a very quick process. Reveal character > release relatively soon after.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
View attachment 303396
Thoughts? Think this was on purpose?
So if this isn't a coincidence, that'd mean that this direct has been in the works since last month, likely before. Also it'd confirm that Sakurai knows exactly when directs are dropping.

...now I hate being the one to do this kind of stuff, but could there be a significance to this date and that's why Sakurai would make a galaxy brain hint about it?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Some people will say that tomorrow's character will be a cool third party character.

Some people will say that tomorrow's character will be an underwhelming Nintendo character.

But deep down, we all know that the character...

Gives Ganondorf another losing matchup
View attachment 303396
"You ****ers want hints? Try to figure this **** out you goddamn nerds, I'll show you hints!"

As for what I personally expect, I see Ace Attorney, SMT, Kirby, FE and Zelda getting announcements while Monster Hunter gets a shout out for more Rise promotion

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
View attachment 303396
Seems like a coincidence.

Things often change (see the September 2018 Direct) so I doubt Sakurai knew the EXACT date of the Direct one month in advance when the date probably wasn't even set in stone.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Every Nintendo fans reaction upon seeing the announcement:
download.jpeg

It's great to finally know what we're gonna get from Nintendo this year, and I look forward to knowing what they have in store for Smash given their interesting wording on the matter.

Oh, and as you can see, I am not dead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My god, all these people taking the laugh thing as a serious thing (didn't know this got cut off)
I mean... it wouldn't be the first time Sakurai was being sly using binary.
Yeah, but that wasn't sly; that was some National Treasure level hinting. (The picture I mean; not the binary clue)

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But ya. It really does seem like the reveals have suddenly sped up drastically, doesn't it?

We went from what, 89 days between Min Min and Byleth

To 101 days between Steve and Min Min

To less than 60 between Steve and Sephiroth(Granted, it was closer to 70~ due to Seph releasing at a later date)

And now this, which hasn't even been a full 2 months since Seph dropped.

Is it actually crazy to believe that the DLC may be "Done" by June, with a potential April drop? Like, if characters are dropping 2 months apart from each other now, then:

December >Feb(Presumably, we don't know yet) > April > June
COVID messed up the schedule. We had 5 characters in around a year for the first pass, so it is likely this pass could have originally ended by summer 2021.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Xenosaga I-III weren't played by a huge majority of people (Pretty sure episode III never even got released in the US....was a real b*** to track down and play). Sometimes when people hear rumors like "KOS-MOS is Mary" without any context or without ever having played it themselves, they miss out on key details like the fact that she wasn't literally said person; just housed her spirit for a bit.
Xenosaga III had to have been released in the US, cause it was over here in Canada as my family had the game.

And yeah, the Mary in KOS-MOS is not Mary the mother of Jesus, but Mary Magdalene, who was a follower of Jesus and has sometimes been speculated to have been married to Jesus. She doesn't get alot of focus in the Bible itself, but she is a prominent character in the new "The Chosen" series that focuses on Jesus and the people around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom