• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
Alright so my stance right now is that we've reached the "Terry" point of the pass. If there's a time to add a character who caters to a more niche audience or the community is largely unfamiliar with beyond surface level, I think now is that time.

Keeping in mind how E3 is likely to hold a character with some widespread notoriety or popularity, and then our final character... is always a tossup, but idk if a lowkey third party is what we'd be likely to see. With my expectations in check I'm pretty much treating tomorrow as a make or break situation for Arle in particular - I can't see her making a whole lot of sense anywhere else in the pass. But ultimately this is all arbitrary and I'm looking for logic where there very well may not be any.

Still, sandwiched between Sephiroth and an E3 reveal and smack in the middle of the pass, I think we're going to see something a little more "lowkey". Which excites me a lot, because those are the characters I tend to gravitate toward. Or yknow, it could just be Monster Hunter. Seems too easy though.
thats why im putting all my chips on sol badguy. guilty gear definitely fits that niche category, arcsys is already involved in smash it just feels right.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Let's say that we DO get a character this month and it isn't held off until early February.
It is early February.

also by that logic we should have 8 animal crossing characters.
That wasn't my point. My point that the games were successful enough for any sort of controversy to be completely ignored.

EDIT: So controversy would not be a reason why there wouldn't be a new Pokémon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright let's play a game.

The first video that appears on your Youtube recommended is the next Smash character. How do you feel?
First video for me is to finish the video I was in the middle of watching for Game Grumps let's play of Danganronpa (I'm several episodes behind) and has got a big ole picture of Monokuma. Monokuma confirmed I guess?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I think you missed a bit of the in-between clarification. Peridot had thought that KOS-MOS was literally mary, and thus not a gaming character, but after explaining it (and Peridot diving into a bit of research as well) he learned that KOS-MOS is technically her own character, not actually Mary, and therefore qualifies to be a Smash Character since she originated in a game.
Well how can she be literally Mary in the first place if it's a video game? that really confused me

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I feel like right now is the perfect time to announce a character like Rayman. Ubisoft is one of the biggest 3rd party publishers on switch and even supported Nintendo at their worst. Not to also mention the existence of a Mario+Rabbids sequel.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well I have a few different thoughts right now about this direct.

First of all, GODDAMN IT I JUST HAD TO TEXT A BUDDY OF MINE TO SET UP HANGING OUT WITH HIM TOMORROW! Looks like I'll have to avoid using phone internet while I'm at his place and have my computer be on Nintendo's youtube homepage before I go to his place. >_>

Secondly, damn I'm good at this prediction stuff. First I thought that getting a character in the last VGA's could happen, and then I think that getting a character reveal during the latter half of February was a possibilty. (now if only this could work on characters. Speaking of which...)

Thirdly, I'm going to be ballsy right now and go with Isaac being CP9, because **** it. If I'm right I get the satisfaction of both being correct and getting my MW. If I'm wrong, then eh, wouldn't be surprised, no biggie.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm going with either Chun-Li or Lloyd obviously.

Chun-Li: Street Fighter II anniversary, 5ch rumor if it's true. Her Houyoku-Sen super(Lightning legs)

Lloyd: Stream in March which is when CP9 is expected to release. And of course the 5ch rumor.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Alright let's play a game.

The first video that appears on your Youtube recommended is the next Smash character. How do you feel?
“Mother 3’s Darkest Mystery”

Didn’t watch it, but going by the thumbnail, seems like the video is about the scrapped boss of mental turmoil Lucas would’ve had to face (the one with the creepy Claus/Lucas faces and stuff).

So...

Either Masked Man or Porky is getting in, get hyped everyone our great chubster will likely be in! Thank you, YouTube!

Shroob

Sup?

Chun-Li: Street Fighter II anniversary, 5ch rumor if it's true. Her Hoyoku-Sen super(Lightning legs)

Lloyd: Stream in March which is CP9 is expected to release. And of course the 5ch rumor.
That would actually be a pretty galaxy brain play if that's what the "Ho ho ho" joke is about lol.

If Chun is confirmed tho, god I feel sorry for Tales of Fans. Your characters are probably happening, but people are going to groan about it like they did Erdrick.

D

Deleted member

Well how can she be literally Mary in the first place if it's a video game? that really confused me
Xenosaga I-III weren't played by a huge majority of people (Pretty sure episode III never even got released in the US....was a real b*** to track down and play). Sometimes when people hear rumors like "KOS-MOS is Mary" without any context or without ever having played it themselves, they miss out on key details like the fact that she wasn't literally said person; just housed her spirit for a bit.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the idea was that she was an adaptation of Mary, a la Dracula. She'd still be eligible in that scenario since the Bible is public domain.

I think the original comment was a joke but I can't really tell because Xenosaga is an absolute mind screwdriver and I can't make sense of jack%$#@.

Shroob

Sup?
But ya. It really does seem like the reveals have suddenly sped up drastically, doesn't it?

We went from what, 89 days between Min Min and Byleth

To 101 days between Steve and Min Min

To less than 60 between Steve and Sephiroth(Granted, it was closer to 70~ due to Seph releasing at a later date)

And now this, which hasn't even been a full 2 months since Seph dropped.

Is it actually crazy to believe that the DLC may be "Done" by June, with a potential April drop? Like, if characters are dropping 2 months apart from each other now, then:

December >Feb(Presumably, we don't know yet) > April > June

D

Deleted member

I think the idea was that she was an adaptation of Mary, a la Dracula. She'd still be eligible in that scenario since the Bible is public domain.

I think the original comment was a joke but I can't really tell because Xenosaga is an absolute mind screwdriver and I can't make sense of jack%$#@.
Pretty sure you have to be on a dangerous cocktail of Muschrooms and Alcohol to come close to the thought process it takes to understand that plot. Again, kind of like Kingdom Hearts.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
That would actually be a pretty galaxy brain play if that's what the "Ho ho ho" joke is about lol.

If Chun is confirmed tho, god I feel sorry for Tales of Fans. Your characters are probably happening, but people are going to groan about it like they did Erdrick.
But hey, now I get to say HOES MAD now. :D

Also I just learned the HOHO thing is a mistranslation.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice

Chun-Li: Street Fighter II anniversary, 5ch rumor if it's true. Her Houyoku-Sen super(Lightning legs)

Lloyd: Stream in March which is when CP9 is expected to release. And of course the 5ch rumor.
didn't the 5ch rumor also include yuri.

Staarih

Smash Master
Call me crazy, but the "heh" might be a hint at an Undertale rep. Everyone in Undertale has a distinctive noise when speaking, Sakurai might be referencing that.
Honestly, I've had this weird hunch about Undertale since... well, for a while. If it happens now, I'll be damned.
Probably won't.

Nintendo using them fleets.
Nintendo wants all eyes on this Direct. Seems to work as the video on YouTube already has over 8k people waiting for it and it's over a day away lol.

It's been what, 60-70 days since Sephiroth was shown off? When Min Min and Steve were both 89 and 101 respectively?.... Are we legit living in a world where there is a very real chance that the FP ends by E3 of this year if the release window has suddenly dropped to a measly 2 months?
Sure. Last year was an anomaly in so many ways, better to not look for patterns too much. I reckon the characters would've been spaced out more evenly had the pandemic not struck upon us. So I guess things are expected to speed up a little. We're getting a Direct after all the "Nintendo Directs are dead!" mantra's after all.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
im still betting on a Marvelous character.

if we're talking about Relationship's with Nintendo it's worth talking about Konami, essentially everything except Metal Gear and Silent HIl is a Nintendo exclusive or is associated with Nintendo, and those games (like Momotaro Dentetsu) are Konami's big money makers.

other good relationships with Nintendo are KT and Marvelous, as well as Capcom and Ubisoft. everything else is average or bad.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
People should stop referring Sakurai tweet as a "laugh". He writes it "houhou" which is only two long "oh", not more than two "ho", and not short ones. It's not "hohoho" like a laugh, and definitely not the snobby laugh. It's more like the mysterious sounding "ohhh ohhh", meaning a bit like "hmmhmm, what's gonna happen ?". And strangely, it's only one letter different from Touhou.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So for the direct, my predictions for the Smash character is either Arle or Hayabusa. Like other users have said, I think now is the time to have a smaller third party characters like Terry, and I'm still pretty confident on those two characters.

Aside from Smash, some general predictions:
-Animal crossing March update
-Some Zelda collection or ports
-A new Mario golf
-Either Game boy or N64 games on Switch
-A new 2d Metroid
-More Shin megami tensei 5 news
-A new Fire emblem or remake
-Botw 2 news?
-Famicom detective club remake release date (still Japan only)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The first video for me is the Direct itself, but the one right next to it is this:

Cool pick I guess.
ArcSystem Works did a terrible job at hyping up Geovanna. It's like, yeah she has a puppy, but it does literally nothing mechanically, and all the pre-beta footage is of her sucking.

jmcrofts does make her look pretty cool though, so she might not be as disappointing as I originally thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom