• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Oops, I meant Activision.
I'm not saying he's unlikely by the way. I just think pinning him as the most likely seems weird.
I can respect that, When it comes to Smash speculation out of many possible choices some were bound to be chosen as the "Favorite" that's just natural and for many right now it just so happens to be Crash Bandicoot, We just really like Crash's odds, That's all.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The next fighter will be timed to grab fans' attention just when they're starting to get upset about Mario 35 and Super Mario 3D All Stars disappearing.
Also, the fighter that will be revealed when Red Luigi vanishes into smoke will have a really influential tune as its main theme.

Jonesy confirmed.:4dedede:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Been thinking about something.

How does everyone feel about companies getting two fighters in a single pass? Precedent shows that it's pretty unlikely, but I'm not sure if Sakurai's ever gone on record confirming this theory. Would you say it's at least possible, even if it's unlikely, or is it a hard no in your book?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

How does everyone feel about companies getting two fighters in a single pass? Precedent shows that it's pretty unlikely, but I'm not sure if Sakurai's ever gone on record confirming this theory. Would you say it's at least possible, even if it's unlikely, or is it a hard no in your book?
We'd only know if this actually happened. I don't count Sora in this ring, as he's legally owned by Disney.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I suspect it won't necessarily happen for Smash Ultimate but more due to various logistical issues rather than deliberately not doing it. I think it'll probably be a case of development and negotiation will end up with one company (barring Nintendo) per pass.

Next game, though? All bets are off, especially if Echo Fighters continue being a thing.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think it's unlikely but so long as those characters are distinct enough from one another I wouldn't particularly mind. I can't imagine that Nintendo and Sakurai would limit themselves too much if they had two characters from the same company who they REALLY wanted to add, and had nothing alike outside of their parent company.

If it happens for anyone I'd say it'll probably be Microsoft. It's hard to argue that Steve and Master Chief have anything in common outside of being owned by the same company. For SE I wouldn't count on anyone else though, personally.

So yeah IMO these odds are only as good as Master Chief's chances, which are... better than I think most people acknowledge rn but not particularly great.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Plenty happy. Capcom and Square both have so many characters that would be cool. Master Chief is still someone I'd like to see from Microsoft. Even SNK has a bunch of cool character I wouldn't mind seeing, as unlikely as it is.

I also never understood the one character per company rule anyway. Why would these companies or Nintendo even want to impose a limit on themselves like this?

SKX31

Smash Master
I also never understood the one character per company rule anyway. Why would these companies or Nintendo even want to impose a limit on themselves like this?
It's never been confirmed or denied IIRC, but one possible reason for the assumption (I can only speak for myself here really, dunno if anyone else shares that view) is that "one character per company" allows as many third parties as possible to get a spot. Which makes some intuitive sense considering the fact that a lot of developers / companies would like to get their character into Smash to begin with.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's never been confirmed or denied IIRC, but one possible reason for the assumption (I can only speak for myself here really, dunno if anyone else shares that view) is that "one character per company" allows as many third parties as possible to get a spot. Which makes some intuitive sense considering the fact that a lot of developers / companies would like to get their character into Smash to begin with.
And there's various other factors potentially in consideration; third parties wanting to see the sales of their fighters, giving feedback in the character's development, and Nintendo's own plans/designs for the pass just not needing more than one character from a company at that particular time.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I think it has to do with negotiation, there's a possibility that these negotiation could overlap each other but if that character is a big figure like Master Chief it will likely take more than a year.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really wish DLC characters other than Piranha Plant had Palutena Guidances. I understand there was probably a reason they really couldn't, but still.
They already had the Kid Icarus gang in the studio for Bayonetta's trailer, I don't know why they didn't go back and do guidances then.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I understand the logic here, but if Nintendo wanted a character they would just go for that character. Working with a company for a character already even makes it easier to get a 2nd one or even 3rd one from said company. If, for example, Master Chief was on the table, then I don't think Nintendo would say no thanks we already got Steve and Banjo from you guys so Sega is next. For me it just seems like people are trying hard to find a pattern, because it helps justify speculation for certain characters, when the answer is more simple than that - Nintendo will go for characters they think will sell well, irrespective of who owns their IP.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I’m down for it. But with how much I’ve talked about my apathy towards company representation, I don’t think I really should say anything.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SKX31 SKX31 is being generous with his logic here, and I think what he's saying makes sense, but is giving the fanbase a lot of credit. I think the biggest reason is just because the fanbase has a terrible penchant for assuming something that hasn't yet happened won't happen. The reasoning often gets reverse engineered from that conclusion.

Why didn't people pay much attention to additional characters from third-party series before Richter/Sephiroth? There was nothing to say we wouldn't get them other than the fact that we hadn't to that point. Why did people think we wouldn't get western characters before Banjo? There were arguments of simplicity to be made, but the root of every theory was just that it hadn't happened yet.

To the best of my recollection, the reasoning for believing we wouldn't get more was largely predicated on not having happened. But I'll also say the thought wasn't ubiquitous. It wasn't something the entire fanbase believed couldn't happen. I mean, one of the most popular third-party requests in the Brawl era was Bomberman, and that was already after having received Snake.

Though the assumption certainly wasn't that the second Capcom character would be Ryu, that much is true. The Nintendo connection was very much a thing at that point, and Ryu's was tenuous compared to some other examples such as Phoenix, Amaterasu, and Viewtiful Joe, who you will find to have placed higher than him on most polls from that era and earlier.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So If people want to use the the Logic that the following next 3 characters won't (on average) be as hype as the ones we already got now, I got a theory that could be considered disturbing for some

Min-Min really wasn't the most exciting start to a DLC Pass. I will say there's a good chance they revealed the fact we were getting an ARMS character first to bring more spotlight on ARMS, since they also revealed the trial in the same Mini direct, but if we take the fact Companies like to start with what they consider their more exciting characters in DLC, it still is kind of weird

Steve was The Hype Buster, no if's or buts. While some people are not into it, Steve heavily appealed to a very large audience that may not have touched Smash, while at the same time appealing to the Smash Community

Sephiroth is a really exciting character, but the thing about it is that he's still mainly appeals to audience that's already been tapped into, and being the 3rd character, he could be considered an Apex point of the pass

So if this Hype cycle theory is on to something, personally I think this is what could be expected of the Next 3 Characters

-If these characters come from New companies or Franchises, They are not a juggernaut franchise, or one that's familiar with Nintendo audiences

-Min Min and Steve might actually be the only characters that come from New franchises, and the following next 3 characters will come from represented franchises like Sephiroth. However, when compared to Sephiroth, they are either not as exciting, or if they are, are More controversial

However I don't think this theory goes into some of the more intracies. To be honest, regarding the FP2 they have seemed to revealing the characters when their Home franchises are most relevant. ARMS Character, Steve, and Sephiroth were revealed when their franchise was having relevant news, so that might be more important to adhere to than the order being what Nintendo consider to be hypest characters first, the less hype ones last

There's also 6 characters instead of 5. so that might change things, especially since going into 2021, and with the very famous Nintendo June directs, there could be spot to hit very high notes.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So If people want to use the the Logic that the following next 3 characters won't (on average) be as hype as the ones we already got now, I got a theory that could be considered disturbing for some

Min-Min really wasn't the most exciting start to a DLC Pass. I will say there's a good chance they revealed the fact we were getting an ARMS character first to bring more spotlight on ARMS, since they also revealed the trial in the same Mini direct, but if we take the fact Companies like to start with what they consider their more exciting characters in DLC, it still is kind of weird

Steve was The Hype Buster, no if's or buts. While some people are not into it, Steve heavily appealed to a very large audience that may not have touched Smash, while at the same time appealing to the Smash Community

Sephiroth is a really exciting character, but the thing about it is that he's still mainly appeals to audience that's already been tapped into, and being the 3rd character, he could be considered an Apex point of the pass

So if this Hype cycle theory is on to something, personally I think this is what could be expected of the Next 3 Characters

-If these characters come from New companies or Franchises, They are not a juggernaut franchise, or one that's familiar with Nintendo audiences

-Min Min and Steve might actually be the only characters that come from New franchises, and the following next 3 characters will come from represented franchises like Sephiroth. However, when compared to Sephiroth, they are either not as exciting, or if they are, are More controversial

However I don't think this theory goes into some of the more intracies. To be honest, regarding the FP2 they have seemed to revealing the characters when their Home franchises are most relevant. ARMS Character, Steve, and Sephiroth were revealed when their franchise was having relevant news, so that might be more important to adhere to than the order being what Nintendo consider to be hypest characters first, the less hype ones last

There's also 6 characters instead of 5. so that might change things, especially since going into 2021, and with the very famous Nintendo June directs, there could be spot to hit very high notes.
The first issue with this theory is that you are trying to quantify hype. A Concept that is inherently subjective.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The first issue with this theory is that you are trying to quantify hype. A Concept that is inherently subjective.
I know

I'm going by the Majority opinion on this one though

Like for example, Someone's most hyped character might be Byleth, but we all know they were the most controversial character added in FP1, and good reason why they were saved last.

as another Example, I really wasn't hype for Banjo at all (I'm not, nor wasn't into him), yet I can't deny he probably got the biggest reaction of the FP1 Fighters, at least in the West.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's true on an individual basis but you can gauge the overall hype of a character by aggregating the response, at least at a rough level.

Nintendo does do this to some extent; anticipating hype. They stack the E3 reveals to include at least one megaton every year Smash is present, and they have a history of not ending a batch of newcomers on a high note, overall-hype-wise. They do have some degree of audience awareness.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I know

I'm going by the Majority opinion on this one though

Like for example, Someone's most hyped character might be Byleth, but we all know they were the most controversial character added in FP1, and good reason why they were saved last.

as another Example, I really wasn't hype for Banjo at all (I'm not, nor wasn't into him), yet I can't deny he probably got the biggest reaction of the FP1 Fighters, at least in the West.
I shouldn't have discredited your theory so quickly, I apologize for that.

You are quite right on this matter, I guess I was trying to say how you can't predict specifics based on theoretical hype but that makes no sense. I apologize for the unnecessary rudeness in my post on the matter.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I shouldn't have discredited your theory so quickly, I apologize for that.

You are quite right on this matter, I guess I was trying to say how you can't predict specifics based on theoretical hype but that makes no sense. I apologize for the unnecessary rudeness in my post on the matter.
I didn't think it was rude, you just gave your opinion on the matter and I gave my rebuttal and that's that.

Never gets old. Too bad it's the Jump Force model though.
I'm gonna guess the FighterZ Model is too Cel shaded or something like that, because Most of Goku's attacks come from FighterZ so I would think they might want to go for that one first

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm gonna guess the FighterZ Model is too Cel shaded or something like that, because Most of Goku's attacks come from FighterZ so I would think they might want to go for that one first
Actually from what I remember, the model import has no cel-shading, or at least the outline for it. So he looks more like those models from the Budokai Tenkaichi CG scenes lol.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I haven't really put a ton of stock in to too many characters. I get that Crash might be overhyped now, but I think having literally every time he's even uttered in this thread be followed up with "ACKSHUALLY, Crash isn't likely because everyone predicts him" is a tad grating. Same happened with Hayabusa. Hell, I'm not exactly a huge Crash supporter. While I acknowledge his impact, I don't know how interesting he'd be to play as. He's a little less flashy than other platformer bros. Not against his inclusion either.

I'm a simple guy, if the characters chosen are something I give a **** about, then it's cool.

And even if it isn't, then who cares THAT much? Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it can't ever happen. I mean, given how discussed Chun-Li and Eggman are recently with the latest conclusion, or how Monster Hunter, Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, DMC and others are still on people's tongues, I doubt too many people would be upset if Dante and Chun, or MMX and Monster Hunter or Arle and Axel were some of the DLC.

Hell, I like a lot of Capcom stuff and a fair bit of Sega stuff too. So I'd be pretty excited for that. Point being that cool characters are cool characters, no matter what company owns them.

And before Sephiroth got added, I was definitely in the camp that liked the idea of third party series getting more than one character. (Though not for Sephiroth in particular since I though he'd be annoying as hell to fight.) My Mega Man bias aside, Street Fighter and Sonic also great contenders for new additions like Sephiroth. And who knows, maybe Metal Gear as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom