• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pokemon is fearmongered almost every other day
Which is sort of weird since a Pokemon as DLC doesn’t seem that likely. A Sword and Shield one has been disconfirmed, and I’m not confident in the prospect of an older Pokemon as DLC.:ultmewtwo: was DLC in Smash 4, but it got in due to fan demand and I don’t think any Pokemon is on the same level of demand as it was..

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Which is sort of weird since a Pokemon as DLC doesn’t seem that likely. A Sword and Shield one has been disconfirmed, and I’m not confident in the prospect of an older Pokemon as DLC.:ultmewtwo: was DLC in Smash 4, but it got in due to fan demand and I don’t think any Pokemon is on the same level of demand as it was..
Mewtwo was also a cut Melee veteran which helped drive that demand.

Pillow

Smash Lord
When was a SwSh mon deconfirmed? And fear mongering is never reasonable anyway. People still bring up a potential new fire emblem dlc which is near impossible.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Mewtwo was also a cut Melee veteran which helped drive that demand.
Heck, I was surprised that he didn’t make it into the base roster of Smash 4.

When was a SwSh mon deconfirmed? And fear mongering is never reasonable anyway. People still bring up a potential new fire emblem dlc which is near impossible.
That November 2019 spirit event.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean what other things we're going to talk about Hayabusa and Crash other than bringing up legacy shiz, announcement shiz, and rumor shiz. You can't make a criticism against them because they're just too perfect, am I right or am I right?
The only criticisms of those are "They get talked about a lot therefore they're bad", "I don't like them", "sword bad", you preferring Zhao Yun and Crash not being mechanically interesting. The first and third aren't even arguments whereas the second and forth are preferences.
I think he meant mechanically speaking, not about the moveset
Eh, the Shotos don't use a universal Street Fighter mechanic but rather one from the first game, which they were the only characters you could play as. Chunners would likely be different, especially as SFII and Alpha, her most wellknown games, use super meters and ****

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
All Crash really needs to be interesting is the ability to act out of his slide attack (which would be his dash attack or side special) by jumping with the level of control you have in his source games.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Say, how do you all think this pass is going to end? With a bang or whimper?
Normally I’d be optimistic and say Nintendo has a plan to keep at least a little hype moving. But the last 2 DLC batches they made ended with Corrin and Byleth.
Its not exactly reassuring.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Normally I’d be optimistic and say Nintendo has a plan to keep at least a little hype moving. But the last 2 DLC batches they made ended with Corrin and Byleth.
I’m gonna be daring and say they’ll break the norm this time and make it end with a BANG

Paraster

Smash Lord
Smash 4's final DLC character was Bayonetta (who may not have been the best possible pick, but was at least a well-known, big-name third party), and Byleth loses some punch if one assumes that Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was always the plan and Byleth was never meant to be Ultimate's last character (to my knowledge, nothing has confirmed or denied this).

Ivander

Smash Legend
I mean, I doubt that'd happen but

Oh my god that actually would be ****ing hilarious now that I think of it.

Everyone discussing this leak has pinned it as Chun and "Lloyd or Yuri", but in this theoretical scenario, we'd just get 10 and 11 at the same damn time since they're from the same series.
Talked about that possibility earlier.
It's incredibly unlikely. Although I once said that it could be an interesting possibility if somehow we get both Lloyd Irving and Yuri Lowell. But in all seriousness, two fighters being revealed would be a 1 out of 100 chance.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, judging by how most cycles have ended for each game (and, since 4, DLC cycles), I'm betting on whimper. Not really in the sense that it'll be an underwhelming character per se, but I just don't expect a third party on the same level of Steve or Sephiroth.

Personally, I would bet on either a first party or a relatively niche third party to wrap things up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Wouldn't that mean that Min Min was also deconfirmed because ARMS had a spirit event? I'm not sure if I would really take that as deconfirmation.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, the Shotos don't use a universal Street Fighter mechanic but rather one from the first game, which they were the only characters you could play as. Chunners would likely be different, especially as SFII and Alpha, her most wellknown games, use super meters and ****
So command inputs, normal to special cancels, and always facing the opponent aren't universal mechanics (ignoring the first game for the second one)? The only game specific mechanic they use is the Focus Attack. And since their playstyles look to Street Fighter II: Turbo for inspiration, there's no garuntee of a Super Meter for Chun-Li. It will really depend on whether or not they want to add mechanics on top of the ones she would already have to drum up interest, or if they want to keep the Street Fighter characters consistent.

Still though, I'm pretty sure people just see a fire ball and speeen and go "well obviously she'd play like the shotos" even though her Up Special would act quite differently, there's a non-zero chance that she'd drop the Focus Attack, Kikoken would likely serve a slightly different purpose from Hadouken, and Spinning Bird Kick would at the very least feel very different due to being a charge move.

EDIT: Also if we're going by Street Fighter II: Turbo, then she'd dethrone Marth as the fastest walking character in the game. :4pacman:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
why spend money going towards an advertising format that they themselves admitted that they were "Considering moving away from" when just dropping **** works just as well?
Because, again, there's no way to KNOW it works just as well. Yes, they were successful this year without Directs, but there are a LOT of other things that could have contributed to that success that have nothing to do with the Directs.

Always excluding Amy... tsk, tsk.

But still, the fact that they chose Akuma and not Ryu, Ken, or Chun-Li is telling.
They also chose Geese before Terry, Ryo or Kyo though. I think it's just Harada's preference.

All DLC characters have brought something new and exciting to the table when it comes to gameplay.
Did they?

Sephiroth is actually a pretty straightforward character. And his "unique gimmick" is mostly the same as Lucario's. Terry plays pretty similarly to Ryu.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash 4's final DLC character was Bayonetta (who may not have been the best possible pick, but was at least a well-known, big-name third party)
Bayonetta might have been far more well-received character than Corrin and her games are beloved among people who played them, but calling her a big name third-party character is a stretch as she was one of the two most obscure DLC characters in Smash 4, the other being Corrin. Compared to the veterans, Ryu and Cloud, she was absolutely more low-key.

Wouldn't that mean that Min Min was also deconfirmed because ARMS had a spirit event? I'm not sure if I would really take that as deconfirmation.
ARMS never had a spirit event.

So command inputs, normal to special cancels, and always facing the opponent aren't universal mechanics (ignoring the first game for the second one)?
All of these elements are also shared with Terry and that didn’t stop him from feeling unique.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bayonetta might have been far more well-received character than Corrin and her games are beloved among people who played them, but calling her a big name third-party character is a stretch as she was one of the two most obscure DLC characters in Smash 4, the other being Corrin. Compared to the veterans, Ryu and Cloud, she was absolutely more low-key.

ARMS never had a spirit event.

All of these elements are also shared with Terry and that didn’t stop him from feeling unique.
Really? I thought I remembered people talking about Min Min having a spirit before she got in. I don't really follow the Spirit events so I guess I was mistaken.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
She, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and I think Twintelle were Spirits in the base game.
Okay that makes sense. It shows how much I pay attention to spirits in this game XD. Still, it does show that a character can still make it in despite already having a spirit. I would think that would mean there is still hope for Pokemon.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's going to end with Goku being in Smash Bros.

I'm afraid so. Come on people, it's time to accept the facts. Goku is going to be the final character.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's going to end with Goku being in Smash Bros.

I'm afraid so. Come on people, it's time to accept the facts. Goku is going to be the final character.
A small part of me thinks there is actually a chance of this happening. I don't think it's very likely at all but it seems like the craziest way to end Smash DLC. I will say there is no chance of Goku being anything but the final DLC though.

D

Deleted member

I don’t think a spirit event deconfirms an entire series by itself. I mean, that event was the base starters and the two legends; if anything, MAYBE it would deconfirm those spirits shown, but not anything else on the roster.

I don’t know how likely Pokémon is in general, but I wouldn’t count out a large swath of them because 5 spirits released.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a counterargument or not, but it goes along with what I've said.

Okay that makes sense. It shows how much I pay attention to spirits in this game XD. Still, it does show that a character can still make it in despite already having a spirit. I would think that would mean there is still hope for Pokemon.
Well, the argument is that they got a Spirit Event because there are no planned fighters. Since there are still more characters than you can shake a stick at for a Spirit Board and there aren't any huge negotiation issues for 1st party characters though, I don't personally think the argument applies.

However I do think the window of opportunity for a Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield character has passed. I think if we do get a Pokémon, it'll be for something else.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a counterargument or not, but it goes along with what I've said.

Well, the argument is that they got a Spirit Event because there are no planned fighters. Since there are still more characters than you can shake a stick at for a Spirit Board and there aren't any huge negotiation issues for 1st party characters though, I don't personally think the argument applies.

However I do think the window of opportunity for a Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield character has passed. I think if we do get a Pokémon, it'll be for something else.
That works for me. If it wasn't obvious already, my most wanted Pokemon isn't from Sword and Shield. I would still like a few S&S songs to make it in like Marnie's theme and Pier's theme as well as the gym battle and battle tower themes.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is only vaguely related to the convo at hand but I just kinda want to let it out: as someone who actually really likes Hayabusa and thinks he'd be an awesome addition, it kinda sucks IMO that he's pretty much become the poster boy for "boring safe picks"
As someone who actually really likes Hayabusa and thinks he'd be an awesome addition, it ****ing RULES that he's pretty much become the poster boy for "boring safe picks".

I mean what other things we're going to talk about Hayabusa and Crash other than bringing up legacy shiz, announcement shiz, and rumor shiz. You can't make a criticism against them because they're just too perfect, am I right or am I right?
1613143205858.png
1613143081846.png

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don’t think a spirit event deconfirms an entire series by itself. I mean, that event was the base starters and the two legends; if anything, MAYBE it would deconfirm those spirits shown, but not anything else on the roster.

I don’t know how likely Pokémon is in general, but I wouldn’t count out a large swath of them because 5 spirits released.
Well, if there was a new Pokemon fighter they would not have even done the Spirit Event and instead those Spirits would have been part of the fighter's Spirit Board.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Smash 4's final DLC character was Bayonetta (who may not have been the best possible pick, but was at least a well-known, big-name third party), and Byleth loses some punch if one assumes that Fighters Pass Vol. 2 was always the plan and Byleth was never meant to be Ultimate's last character (to my knowledge, nothing has confirmed or denied this).
Weren’t they both announced in December and released in February? I probably should have mentioned Bayo as well.
And, to be clear. I’m not talking about the final character of each game, rather the final character of each batch of bundled content Nintendo puts out.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, if there was a new Pokemon fighter they would not have even done the Spirit Event and instead those Spirits would have been part of the fighter's Spirit Board.
I don't think that's necesserilly the case though. I mean, if you can make a quick Spirit Event to advertise a specific game and still have a bunch of Spirits left over for a Spirit Board for the fighter, then why not have that Spirit Event?

Bang Shishigami confirmed!
Sorry. That is the one male character that is disconfirmed for being too sexy. This is a game for good boys and girls of all ages remember? :4pacman:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, these debates would become absolutely hilarious if the next character turned out to be Chris Redfield from Resident Evil VIIlage.

There's no way we get all 8 Eeveelutions. We either get the Kanto trio or the Johto duo.
Or the current shiny new Eeveelution(s), which is sadly the best shot at getting Eevee in Super Smash Bros. at any point.

...I say that but I still find the Kanto trio to be much more likely a result. Huh...

That's one THEME SONG that is disconfirmed for being too sexy.
OK this is great. I would not mind getting a BlazBlue character just for this song.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Or the current shiny new Eeveelution(s), which is sadly the best shot at getting Eevee in Super Smash Bros. at any point.

...I say that but I still find the Kanto trio to be much more likely a result. Huh
Couldn't they just, you know, add Eevee because of its popularity and marketing and not because of a new Eeveelution? Casuals will eat it up regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom