• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The only way Chun-Li isn't next is if we get another shoto as an echo.
For a unique fighter it's Chun-Li or its nothing and no amount of downplaying will change that.
They might decide to instead add another villain to the roster by adding M. Bison.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean the fact that Ken is in first and Guile an Assist says a lot, she doesn't really seat on her golden thrown than just being a legendary spirit. Oh, I will definitly believe you... if the 2 character that I mentioned didn't appear after her.
Ken is already playable so I don't think he's relevant to the discussion when we're discussing the next playable SF character.

Also, Assist Trophies are not an official importance certificate, unless you want to argue that Elec Man is more important than Zero and Dr. Wily because he was there first.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You'll all be bamboozled when it's Dan Hibiki.
Now THAT would be a dream come true.

Chun-Li has, however, never been the sole representative of Street Fighter in any crossover. She is always accompanied by Ryu. Akuma meanwhile has been Street Fighter's sole rep in a crossover before (Tekken 7).
The character selection in Smash works very differently than in Tekken. Tekken also added Geese over Terry. Smash will generally favor the main protagonists first, of which Chun-Li is one.

I mean the fact that Ken is in first and Guile an Assist says a lot, she doesn't really seat on her golden thrown than just being a legendary spirit.
I don’t think “Ken is an echo fighter and Sakurai wanted to add Guile” is a massive statement or knock against Chun-Li. Elec Man was an AT in Smash 4 over Proto Man or Wily. I dunno, you tell me what that means.

I’m not going to argue against Ken though, it’s irrelevant. Ken is already in the game and is the only SF character who really stacks up to Chun-Li at all. He’s Ryu’s Luigi, he was the only other character in SF1 and he’s an echo fighter. There’s no reason to split hairs on why he’s here over Chun-Li when I consider them equally valid choices. But there’s a hard drop after that.

Lol ninja’d on both of those points, thanks osby

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The character selection in Smash works very differently than in Tekken. Tekken also added Geese over Terry. Smash will generally favor the main protagonists first, of which Chun-Li is one.
By that argument Spring Man would have been the playable rep of ARMS and not Min Min.

osby

Smash Obsessed
By that argument Spring Man would have been the playable rep of ARMS and not Min Min.
You know we got Ryu in Smash, right? The one who is the main protagonist of Street Fighter? Like, how is that the ARMS argument is remotely similar to Chun-Li's situation?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Mate, you only got yourself to blame for that. You kinda butted into to a convo someone else was having with someone else to throw shade at someone.
Even seeing it didn't change much, also you don't have to take that seriously I didn't have an intention to genuinely hate it. Is just that I don't like seeing a smarty-pants talk big and purposely downplaying other, just say "she has a bigger chance than the rest"

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
oh

OH **** OH MY GOOOOODDDD

I GOT A SOURCE LATELY AND THEY SENT ME THIS SHES IN

yes, it's fake. this was actually made by a friend in Blender, but I do expect some people to make fake leaks in Blender eventually. yeah, the lack of thumbs up Ken gave it away :4pacman:
here's the original:

...i just want an image leak or something oh my God :c
YOOOOOOOO STARFY'S IN LET'S GOOOOOOOO

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still gonna die on the hill that says

Yeah, Min Min's popularity and Mr.Fubuki probably helped get her in.

But Spring Man being an assist already didn't hurt either.

With 3 characters left, and probably 1 of them being in the somewhat near future, I'm dying on this hill that we're not going to get any Assist upgrades in this game.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
There's a golden quote of Sakurai that everyone here seems to be forgetting as well.

All DLC characters have brought something new and exciting to the table when it comes to gameplay. It is why, as a regular Street Fighter player, out of all of these options I think Chun-Li is the most suitable.

Let's be real here. As I've said somewhere yesterday, Akuma is too identical to both Ryu and Ken. They would all have similar movesets, and the variety and uniqueness of Street Fighter games would get lost with that by representing the brand with yet another similar shoto. And honestly, do you really expect such a similar character as a DLC character, that people would pay for? I'd just wait for the next Smash game.

Now as to what pertains M. Bison.... He's a, ergh, charge character. While granted, Chun-Li has a few charge moves too, but her entire moveset doesn't entirely consist of those unlike M. Bison. What is the problem with charge inputs you may ask? Now Terry has proven with his recovery that vertical charge moves do indeed work in Smash, I can't for the life of me imagine horizontal ones working with the same effect. Though if Sakurai would make them work somehow, I'd only imagine them to be extremely uncomfortable to pull off in Smash due to the game's more movement-based nature. And that's not even without mentioning the fact that M. Bison, moveset-wise, honestly doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Do you really want a fighting game character with a reflect and teleport?

smh, can't believe people would rather want a Ryu-clone and charge-input Mewtwo over Chun-Li smh.

People would probably try to apply this same rule with Chun-Li, I feel like at face-value people would think she would be similar to Min-Min. With them having a few similar leg-based moves. But with Min-Min's gimmick being, you know, her ARMS and range. I honestly think she's exempt from that and would bring a new way to play to the table, compared to the other more talked about Street Fighter characters at least. And hey, newbies thought Terry would just be another Street Fighter clone when he got revealed anyways.

And to be realistic, besides all that, I don't even believe another Street Fighter rep would happen in this pass. I'd rather want Smash to feature new Fighting Games. SO HELL YEAH IM ON THAT GUILTY GEAR HYPETRAIN BAYBEEEE SOL WILL BE THE NEXT FIGHTING GAME REP AND YOU CANT IGNORE THE TRUTH

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
You bunch of fools, we all know the next SF rep is Sheng Long.

He is so popular and well know among gamers, yet no one as ever defeated him. He is the final bonus boss of fighting game, and I'm sure Sakurai know that fact and is already working 24/7 on the legend to make sure our wallet goes empty once he is reveal.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So if that Tales of Chun-Li leak does come true, how many of you would be ok with that timeline?

I would be ok with it myself. While I would be disappointed that Street Fighter got 3 reps before Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, DMC, or Resident Evil got any playable characters, Chun-Li would be a solid choice for reasons that have been stated many times. Plus I do dig Street Fighter Alpha's soundtrack so hopefully in this timeline we would get some music from there. I also have been preparing myself for a Tales Of rep since I see that as the most likely Bamco series. I would be fine with Lloyd or Yuri, even if my only experience with the series is a little bit of Tales of Vesperia.
Kind of on the lower end of okay. Chun Li is okay but I've never played any of the Tales games so Lloyd and Yuri taking the last two spots would be kind of lame. I mean the leak doesn't mention any other characters so I assume Lloyd and Yuri would take both spots.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Kind of on the lower end of okay. Chun Li is okay but I've never played any of the Tales games so Lloyd and Yuri taking the last two spots would be kind of lame. I mean the leak doesn't mention any other characters so I assume Lloyd and Yuri would take spots.
I mean, I doubt that'd happen but

Oh my god that actually would be ****ing hilarious now that I think of it.

Everyone discussing this leak has pinned it as Chun and "Lloyd or Yuri", but in this theoretical scenario, we'd just get 10 and 11 at the same damn time since they're from the same series.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Well, it's more like pre-established characters from all sorts of series instead of one. Look at the reaction to Android 17 being FighterZ DLC, it was anything but "Ugh, an assist? Should've been Jotaro, the hype would've been epic".
Dragon Ball Z Fighters isn’t a game known for including lots of third-party characters or branding itself as a gaming crossover, so the expectations would be different, especially since it only focused on one franchise.

Besides, people would have been obsessed with hype even if there had been far fewer third-party DLC characters. The only difference would have been that there wouldn’t have been anyone saying that first-party characters aren’t hype, not that a character like Lip would have been universally well-received.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm still gonna die on the hill that says

Yeah, Min Min's popularity and Mr.Fubuki probably helped get her in.

But Spring Man being an assist already didn't hurt either.

With 3 characters left, and probably 1 of them being in the somewhat near future, I'm dying on this hill that we're not going to get any Assist upgrades in this game.
It should still be okay to keep an open mind. You can't stick solely to Crash, Hayabusa, Gen 8, and the leak flavor of the month. Let me want characters that aren't them, dammit. Let me be able to discuss things without being shut down by "oh but that can never happen and it would suck if it did anyway"

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It should still be okay to keep an open mind. You can't stick solely to Crash, Hayabusa, Gen 8, and the leak flavor of the month.
Oh I don't doubt it's possible.

I just don't expect it, especially this late into the running. I "could" see it as FP11, but 9 and 10? Probably not, with 9 probably coming soon, and 10 being the E3 drop probably.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
This is only vaguely related to the convo at hand but I just kinda want to let it out: as someone who actually really likes Hayabusa and thinks he'd be an awesome addition, it kinda sucks IMO that he's pretty much become the poster boy for "boring safe picks"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It should still be okay to keep an open mind. You can't stick solely to Crash, Hayabusa, Gen 8, and the leak flavor of the month. Let me want characters that aren't them, dammit. Let me be able to discuss things without being shut down by "oh but that can never happen and it would suck if it did anyway"
bruh you can't complain about 'not being allowed to want' certain characters when you constantly trash people for wanting certain characters. We literally talked about one of those characters you claim never got talked about yesterday quite a bit, that being Eevee, with more people joining the conversation than trying to shut it down. Also, how odd, your complaints about commonly discussed characters don't include Rex, who gets talked about at least once a week, or AT promotions, which are talked almost as much as Rex with there being more positive posts about the idea than attempts to shut them down. This surely has nothing to do with the fact you like those commonly suggested characters, right?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
We have more discussions about how “Crash, Pokémon and Hayabusa are overrated” than we actually talk about those characters and it gets really annoying when people pretend that discussion here is so limited that “I am predicting a character that isn’t mentioned a lot” is considered a galaxy brain move that no one else dares to think of with our collective bandicoot brainworms

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
To be honest, while I haven't played that much Street Fighter, I think Chun-Li would play more like Ryu than many other fighting game characters would in Smash, because they're both from the same series with the same gameplay and both share quite a few tools in their own games. Besides, as mentioned before, I don't see Nintendo and Capcom triple dipping on Street Fighter when there are many other Capcom series yet to have a turn (and fighting game series, but that's not how characters are decided).

Onto a different topic: since Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury releases today, I have a feeling Nintendo will announce something next week via a shadowdrop. If I'm being realistic, we still haven't heard anything about Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC yet, but if I'm being hopeful, that would be in a Zelda Direct - though I don't think one's due for this month. There's also the possibility of the usual early-year Pokémon Direct.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
We have more discussions about how “Crash, Pokémon and Hayabusa are overrated” than we actually talk about those characters and it gets really annoying when people pretend that discussion here is so limited that “I am predicting a character that isn’t mentioned a lot” is considered a galaxy brain move that no one else dares to think of with our collective bandicoot brainworms
Pokemon is barely even talked about lmao and it's not because we're not discussing it 24/7 it might be because everyone lend their heart and soul to that character and call it "safe", because everyone knows that without typing a single letter they already in the "YES" camp at how obvious they are to be included because of course Sakurai wouldn't pass that character up, eh?

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
"SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD + FURY WORLD" is on sale today. Congrats!!

"Super Mario 3D World + Fury World" released today!
#Super Mario 3D World, where up to four people run to the goal, and #Fury World, where Mario and Bowser Jr. team up to challenge the giant Bowser.
Enjoy two adventures.
#Smash Bros. SP #Smash Bros.

We also got a new TVCM today for Mario 35th Anniversary features both 3D World and Smash.
This isn't exactly a Smash CM, but the last time we got one was after Steve and about 2 weeks later Sephiroth was revealed in TGA.
So we might get something by the end of February or the beginning of March.
Which isn't a big brain prediction anyway but it probably lines up with the Amiibo release date so just to let you know.
BTW, 7-11 Ad now is for Monster Hunter Rise and it'll be posted up until March 14th.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
To be blunt, they're not even predictions anymore. They're wishlists.

Pokemon is barely even talked about lmao and it's not because we're not discussing it 24/7 it might be because everyone lend their heart and soul to that character and call it "safe", because everyone knows that without typit a single letter everyone is already in the "YES" camp.
Pokemon is fearmongered almost every other day

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I mean what other things we're going to talk about Hayabusa and Crash other than bringing up legacy shiz, announcement shiz, and rumor shiz. You can't make a criticism against them because they're just too perfect, am I right or am I right?

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Not really. If it says anything it's that they were either confident in Min Min as a crowd pleaser (ARMS may have been a flash in the pan but it did sell well) or they really just don't care (which Byleth's existence kinda points to). There's also the possibility that Steve was meant to be revealed alongside her, which creates ambiguity to even that.
I don't think MinMin's a bad choice at all.

I think people would have been more accepting if she were base game, but she's not a bad choice. Is she "hype", well, no, not really, but if the trailer numbers are anything to go by, if nothing else, she probably resonated well with the more casual audience.
Min Min should’ve been later in my opinion. If they were doing a 4-2 ratio, then it would’ve been better to save Min Min for later in the Pass. I’m not saying she’s a bad choice, and this is coming from the guy who Hates ARMS, I’m just saying that if this were a 4-2, Min Min would’ve been saved for later. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, and I will be happy for the fans OC whoever that Third Party is, but I simply can’t see it being 4-2 after Min Min going first.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To be honest, while I haven't played that much Street Fighter, I think Chun-Li would play more like Ryu than many other fighting game characters would in Smash, because they're both from the same series with the same gameplay and both share quite a few tools in their own games. Besides, as mentioned before, I don't see Nintendo and Capcom triple dipping on Street Fighter when there are many other Capcom series yet to have a turn (and fighting game series, but that's not how characters are decided).
Except that Chun-Li and Ryu absolutely do not play the same. Chun-Li is speedy but with lower health and Ryu is an all-rounder. Their moves aren’t even the same, so it is impossible for them to play the same way.

And the idea that Capcom would not want to promote Chun-Li in Smash makes no sense considering they always constantly promote her, putting her in loads of crossovers. She was even one if the first two characters shown for Street Fighter 5 and the Smash games are pretty much the only crossover games where Ryu is playable but she isn’t.

Also, giving other characters from unrepresented franchises is not how roster decisions work, otherwise we wouldn’t have had :ultsephiroth: as opposed to any characters from unrepresented Square franchises or even characters from different Final Fantasy games.

Pillow

Smash Lord
This is only vaguely related to the convo at hand but I just kinda want to let it out: as someone who actually really likes Hayabusa and thinks he'd be an awesome addition, it kinda sucks IMO that he's pretty much become the poster boy for "boring safe picks"
It’s okay you can laugh at them when Hayabusa gets in and their pick does not

Onto a different topic: since Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury releases today, I have a feeling Nintendo will announce something next week via a shadowdrop. If I'm being realistic, we still haven't heard anything about Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC yet, but if I'm being hopeful, that would be in a Zelda Direct - though I don't think one's due for this month. There's also the possibility of the usual early-year Pokémon Direct.
It is reasonable to think that we will get another Capcom rep over Chun-Li, or no Capcom rep at all. It’s not reasonable to think we could possibly get another street fighter character without that character being Chun-Li.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom