• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know some people tend to scoff at Chun-Li support because "lul they think the next character will be just like the last", but I fully expect the Chun-Li support to continue straight on into the next game should she not be added here.
Yeah, by then repeat third-parties will likely start becoming the norm, just like third-parties as a whole during the shift from Brawl to 4. I'm not really expecting them to follow up on any new precedents they set for SSBU's DLC, but assuming they stay the course with third-parties with a remake or sequel-Which they probably will-I can easily see Street Fighter or Sonic getting another rep.
Well Chun-Li also has the currently in limbo rumor and the lack of Street Fighter music outside II. As well as sharing the theme with Sephiroth of following the main character where ever they go, even in crossovers.
Honestly, I'm beginning to lose faith in the negotiations rumor. It's pretty detailed, but in the end, it's still an anonymous 5chan rumor. Even if it got some stuff right, there's been a lot of rumors that got stuff right, only to turn out wrong in the end.
As for the lack of music... It doesn't seem like much incentive, honestly. It's not like Final Fantasy; That was missing music, Spirits, everything outside of Cloud and a stage. Street Fighter's representation may be limited to Street Fighter II, but it actually properly represents that game. Final Fantasy just had two Spirits and two songs, and the former didn't even use the original artwork.
While following Ryu everywhere is a point in her favor, I must admit, I'm still hesitant on DLC following up on the previous fighter. The only back-to-back theme followup so far was Byleth and Min Min as recent Switch first-parties, and even then they're from separate passes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As for the lack of music... It doesn't seem like much incentive, honestly. It's not like Final Fantasy; That was missing music, Spirits, everything outside of Cloud and a stage. Street Fighter's representation may be limited to Street Fighter II, but it actually properly represents that game. Final Fantasy just had two Spirits and two songs, and the former didn't even use the original artwork.
It's not supposed to be an incentive though. It just means that there is stuff to add. This is true with virtually any character so it's not a point in her favor so much as it can't be used as a point against her, but I don't think a series has to have jack squat to get a new character here.

While following Ryu everywhere is a point in her favor, I must admit, I'm still hesitant on DLC following up on the previous fighter. The only back-to-back theme followup so far was Byleth and Min Min as recent Switch first-parties, and even then they're from separate passes.
I honestly don't think this argument really pans out. If we're saying that a trait as wide as "no two characters can have x characteristic" then it's already been proven false, as we've gotten 3 RPG characters in the same pass, two Nintendo characters back to back, two characters from games that already had content in the same pass, two characters from companies that had characters in the last pass, and probably more. Some of these qualities are kinda arbitrary as well, and I feel like a second 3rd party series rep is right up there with them.

I don't necessarily think she's in, but I think this kind of argument is too disjointed from the character to really be much of a factor. I mean, if it's appeal diversity we're worried about then how the heck do Sephiroth and Chun-Li appeal to the same people? Ya' know?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The whole negotiations rumor/theory was piecemealed together using a loose understanding of copyright law, and a want to find a pattern of some sort.

Like It could feasibly have legs, but the only one that seems to fit the bill of the theory is Steve.

I'm not saying the characters heavily rumored to be a result from the rumor won't get in, but it is still a rumor.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think that they might instead pick M. Bison if Street Fighter is gonna get a new rep.
Literally why? Just because Sephiroth happened doesn’t mean every next unique 3rd party rep from the same franchise is gonna be a villain (and I say that as someone who supports Eggman).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People didn't think that third-parties were done after Snake.
People didn't think that multiple third-parties from the same company were done after Ryu.
People didn't think that clone characters from existing third-party series were done after Richter.

Why do some people think that getting more original characters from existing third-party series will end with Sephiroth?

It might not happen again in Ultimate, but getting more is not without reason, and will happen eventually. So on that basis I don't understand why people expect popularity for characters like Chun-Li to vanish after future characters aren't from existing series. It'll decrease. It's already decreased from a month ago. But it's here to stay now, just like all those other examples.

Though this is an oversight I've seen more on GameFAQs than here.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't necessarily think she's in, but I think this kind of argument is too disjointed from the character to really be much of a factor. I mean, if it's appeal diversity we're worried about then how the heck do Sephiroth and Chun-Li appeal to the same people? Ya' know?
...You ever just read something you wrote and think: "What the actual heck are my speech patterns"?

(and o say that as someone who supports Eggman).
This typo made me think of the national anthem, and now I'm imagining an extremely patriotic Dr. Eggman saluting with a waving American flag background as the national anthem plays in the background with a rising intensity...

Wow I really need to stop getting distracted, finish my work, and head to bed.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If a Smash leak has Ken doing thumb up. it's probably real.
(Other times, it's fake.)

Edit:
Seems legit to me. Panda for Smash! You can never go wrong with Ken, hes 100% definitely a symbol of the truth, unless hes not. :4pacman:
...You ever just read something you wrote and think: "What the actual heck are my speech patterns"?
Yes, 100%. Literally everything I say I should probably proofread. I’m almost definitely gonna have to reread this as well after I post it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Seems legit to me. Panda for Smash! You can never go wrong with Ken, hes 100% definitely a symbol of the truth, unless hes not.
Uh...Das notta panda.

Unless, Is there some Daganrompa lore I don't know about?

Yes, 100%. Literally everything I say I should probably proofread. I’m almost definitely gonna have to reread this as well after I post it.
I was more thinking that a lot of the stuff that I type looks like it dove head first into a thesaurus, and then I'll turn around and use a butt ton of slang and casual language.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I feel like the Spirit Levels for the Street Fighter characters imply that M.Bison and Akuma would get priority over Chun-Li, as Chun-Li is only a 3 Star Spirit at best, while Bison and Akuma are 4 star.

Even without that though, I don't think Chun-Li is the sole option for 3rd Street fighter character. M.Bison is the main Villain of the Street Fighter lore, and been villain in some of the most prominent SF Media like SF2 and the Movie, and Akuma is the Main Rival to Ryu that infamously killed Bison to become the secret boss of SSF2T, and Also has appeared as the Lone SF character in Crossovers, something Chun-Li hasn't done

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
as Chun-Li is only a 3 Star Spirit at best, while Bison and Akuma are 4 star.
This is because of where they're placed in WoL. You fight Chun-Li before Bison, so she is a weaker spirit. Just like how the non-bosses don't gobble up your quarters as much as bosses do.

7NATOR

Smash Master
This is because of where they're placed in WoL. You fight Chun-Li before Bison, so she is a weaker spirit. Just like how the non-bosses don't gobble up your quarters as much as bosses do.
It's not that simple though

Chun-Li is a Spirit that can be upgraded. We've seen that while some Spirits are weak when you fight them, some could upgrade to 4 star after upgrading. Skull Kid is an example of this

List of spirits (The Legend of Zelda series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Chun-Li however only upgrades to 3 Star. It's also weird she's 2 Star in the first place. at the least I imagine her to be 3 star at base, especially when characters like Sakura and Cammy (Who are notable characters, but are not as much as Chun) is a 3 star battle

List of spirits (Street Fighter series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

What I've noticed is that alot of the more prominent characters, or the characters that would get picked first if their franchise were to get another rep, typically have 4 stars or somewhere around there. Now I don't think it's the same for every franchise, but I got to look at the fact that Chun-Li can't even upgrade to 4 star, While Akuma, Bison, and Guile are 4 star

And I don't post this to put disrespect on Chun-Li's name. I agree she probably has the most merit of all the Street Fighter characters to be in Smash, But I think people also have to know that she isn't the only option. Characters like Bison and Akuma have merit to be included before Chun-Li, just like how Shadow & Knuckles have merit to be the 2nd Sonic character over Eggman and Tails, despite what alot of people might say

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Spirits had a hard ranking system based on series importance then Toad would be at least an Advanced Spirit instead of a Novice one and the Master Cycle would be a Novice Spirit instead of a Legend one.

I don't think it's tha-

1613029072266.png

Did we seriously argue that Spirits disconfirmed characters when this was RIGHT HERE THE ENTIRE TIME?!?

...I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Chun-Li is a Spirit that can be upgraded. We've seen that while some Spirits are weak when you fight them, some could upgrade to 4 star after upgrading. Skull Kid is an example of this

List of spirits (The Legend of Zelda series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Chun-Li however only upgrades to 3 Star. It's also weird she's 2 Star in the first place. at the least I imagine her to be 3 star at base, especially when characters like Sakura and Cammy (Who are notable characters, but are not as much as Chun) is a 3 star battle

List of spirits (Street Fighter series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

What I've noticed is that alot of the more prominent characters, or the characters that would get picked first if their franchise were to get another rep, typically have 4 stars or somewhere around there. Now I don't think it's the same for every franchise, but I got to look at the fact that Chun-Li can't even upgrade to 4 star, While Akuma, Bison, and Guile are 4 star

And I don't post this to put disrespect on Chun-Li's name. I agree she probably has the most merit of all the Street Fighter characters to be in Smash, But I think people also have to know that she isn't the only option. Characters like Bison and Akuma have merit to be included before Chun-Li, just like how Shadow & Knuckles have merit to be the 2nd Sonic character over Eggman and Tails, despite what alot of people might say
You heard it here first folks, Dry Bowser, Pauline, the Shine Sprite, and the Master Cycle are going to be added to Smash before Waluigi and Toad, since they are 4 star Spirits while the latter two are only three star spirits.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

"It's not that simple; Chun-Li has fewer stars, so she wouldn't be chosen."

It's that simple.

Never mind the fact that Chun-Li was the only SF character to get two spirits.

Not to be mean, but people having thought it'd be anybody other than Chun-Li is 100% the kind of thing that'd get ridiculed if and when Chun-Li gets in.

There are very few second (original) additions for a series as obvious as Chun-Li is for Street Fighter. It's up there with Diddy obviously being second after DK.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Okay, yeah not every franchise works that way. What I mean with the Chun-Li Spirit is that it might suggest that She wouldn't automatically be the first option.

Also regarding Mario, Geno, who we know is definite Phenomenon in the Smash community, is a 4 Star spirit as well, but I do get you point. Like I don't think Ness's Dad would be first in line if Mother got another character

"It's not that simple; Chun-Li has fewer stars, so she wouldn't be chosen."

It's that simple.

Never mind the fact that Chun-Li was the only SF character to get two spirits.

Not to be mean, but people having thought it'd be anybody other than Chun-Li is 100% the kind of thing that'd get ridiculed if and when Chun-Li gets in.

There are very few second (original) additions for a series as obvious as Chun-Li is for Street Fighter. It's up there with Diddy obviously being second after DK.
N30N, I'm gonna hold it down. I'm willing to take the L if I'm wrong

While I do think Chun-Li perhaps has the most merit to be the 2nd unique Character from Street fighter, Personally I don't think she will be chosen as the character

Personally I'm betting Akuma, but I also see M.Bison as well. I do understand why Chun-Li is the Option most people go towards, just like I understand why people go towards Eggman despite me Supporting/Thinking Shadow will be in FP2. I just don't think she's that highly above the other options that there's no Arguement

M.Bison, Akuma are Legendary characters as well. They both have been main Bosses for the series and the Lore, With Bison also being the villain for the Movie. Akuma has also been known to show up separately on his own, without the need for any SF Character. Guile, Zangief, Blanka, etc are also legendary, but I don't think they would be chosen for reasons

Shroob

Sup?
So... what the heck is the Negotiations leak?

Is it just the newest name for whatever we've decided to call the 5ch leak from December 2018 now?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...With Bison also being the villain for the Movie.
Erm. I think the fact that he's the main villain of most of the games is the more relevant factoid here...

Is it just the newest name for whatever we've decided to call the 5ch leak from December 2018 now?
Chun-Leak? Yeah probably.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If Spirits had a hard ranking system based on series importance then Toad would be at least an Advanced Spirit instead of a Novice one and the Master Cycle would be a Novice Spirit instead of a Legend one.

I don't think it's tha-

View attachment 302688

Did we seriously argue that Spirits disconfirmed characters when this was RIGHT HERE THE ENTIRE TIME?!?

...I'm sorry, what were we talking about?
You're only making me want costumes.
Hell, better yet, give us a dress-up mode with the amount of customization in Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and Splatoon 2.

Speculation wise, though, I think we're getting Monster Hunter revealed in March, Jonesy at E3, and Crash Bandicoot in September.
And Deluxe Mii Costumes for Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Dr. Cortex.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Yeah it's an alternate way to talk about that leak since it's not exactly implying Chun-Li is in, just that there were negotiations for her early on that got dropped.
Well I'll give it to Kos-mos, her longstanding popularity is impressive.
As for the others though, they're not exactly a decade old and out of the public conscious.
Their sheer quantity and quality is impressive though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
N30N, I'm gonna hold it down. I'm willing to take the L if I'm wrong

While I do think Chun-Li perhaps has the most merit to be the 2nd unique Character from Street fighter, Personally I don't think she will be chosen as the character

Personally I'm betting Akuma, but I also see M.Bison as well. I do understand why Chun-Li is the Option most people go towards, just like I understand why people go towards Eggman despite me Supporting/Thinking Shadow will be in FP2. I just don't think she's that highly above the other options that there's no Arguement

M.Bison, Akuma are Legendary characters as well. They both have been main Bosses for the series and the Lore, With Bison also being the villain for the Movie. Akuma has also been known to show up separately on his own, without the need for any SF Character. Guile, Zangief, Blanka, etc are also legendary, but I don't think they would be chosen for reasons
Think about the fact that, all other points aside for a minute, you believe, when granted the time and resources to add an original SF character, you believe, despite characters like Chun-Li at his disposal, Sakurai is instead going to opt to add a third shoto.

I think if you really see this as the likelier option, it's either because you've dug in your heels, or because you don't get how much bigger Chun-Li is than all remaining characters within the series.

Shroob

Sup?
Meanwhile amiibos

"Kill me"

Seriously though, with Nintendo dipping more and more into official scale figures I wonder what's gonna happen to them, they are already sorta kept on life support by Smash
Tbh, once Smash is done with DLC, aside from probably really exclusive ****, my guess is they'll just drop them entirely.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
What pertains to Street Fighter for DLC, I can only see 1 option get added. And that's undoubtedly Chun-Li.

She's THE Female Fighting Game character. Fighting alongside Ryu and Ken ever since Street Fighter 2 and being a mainstay in all Street Fighter games since. I get that people are looking at both M. Bison and Akuma for this whole "villain trend" there's going on right now but let me explain.

M. Bison isn't that important to the roster as you may think. He has literally skipped an entire numbered entry (Street Fighter 3), while both Chun-Li and Akuma got added eventually in later revisions. As Smash goes, there's nothing really that makes him stand out. His moves aren't really inherently special either. Could I see him eventually get in Smash? Errh... Perhaps. But not as DLC.

And on top of that, Akuma has long since took M. Bison's place as the iconic series' antagonist. If we want to pick THE Street Fighter villain, Akuma it is. But then we have another problem... Akuma plays way too similarly to Ryu and Ken. There would be quite some moves that are similar. While I'm a big fan of Akuma, I think his best shot will undoubtedly be in a following Smash game.

On top of that, another DLC character being a traditional shoto would really just tire Smash fans I think lol.

Again, this whole "villain trend" within the speculation scene was stupid to begin with. But you know what's even more dumb? Guessing a character's legitimacy by looking at their spirit ranks!

Also thought I'd mention. But Joe Higashi got announced for KOFXV. Nothing to do with Smash, but you guys will probably recognise the guy and I'm a big SNK fanboy so I have to shill.

Also you may recognise the theme playing

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
You joke, but Pauline would actually be a cool, fine idea for a Smash fighter and personally I'd want her over Waluigi and especially Toad.

if we had to get another Mario character though I wouldn't be surprised if it was Waluigi and would understand them going for him next.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, if SF is getting another rep, it's Chun.

I get that Sephiroth has people on the villains wagon, but Akuma is basically just another Ryu in concept, and we already have Ken. I could see Akuma as say, an extra Echo Fighter maybe, but not as THE pass fighter.

Meanwhile, Chun, one of the biggest women in gaming period, alongside Lara Croft and Samus Aran.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm curious; how would Chun-Li's special attacks work? Would the Hurricane Kick be the standard B and the Kikoken the side b, or the other way around? Could she have a focus attack? Would the Spinning Bird Kick be too similar to the Rising Tackle to be her up B? These are the real questions we need to be asking, people!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm curious; how would Chun-Li's special attacks work? Would the Hurricane Kick be the standard B and the Kikoken the side b, or the other way around? Could she have a focus attack? Would the Spinning Bird Kick be too similar to the Rising Tackle to be her up B? These are the real questions we need to be asking, people!
I thibk Kikoken would be handled like Power Wave, no commands outside of neutral b. As for her up b I'd imagine it being Tenshokyaku or whatever it's called, I remember it being a vertical antiair whereas Spinning Bird Kick is horizontal

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I thibk Kikoken would be handled like Power Wave, no commands outside of neutral b. As for her up b I'd imagine it being Tenshokyaku or whatever it's called, I remember it being a vertical antiair whereas Spinning Bird Kick is horizontal
That makes sense, I could see it. I've only played SF4, mostly as Rufus, so my knowledge on most of the characters is limited.

What? Rufus is a lot of fun.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
However they could go for someone else from Street Fighter, likely an antagonist. As well as some other Capcom character.
The only other Street Fighter character they'd go for over Chun-Li that even has a remote chance is M. Bison. Chun-Li is still the easy first pick though, she's not just well known in the gaming market, she's well known outside of that and has a Nicki Minaj song and a movie for her character (It's an incredibly bad movie, but it's a movie nonetheless).

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we're getting Chun-Li or any other Street Fighter Reps for one simple reason... DLC Spirit Board.

Street Fighter has been very well represented in the spirit department, so if a new street fighter Rep comes, there would be no new spirits to add without scraping the bottom of the barrel characterwise. Since I'm not an Expert on Street Fighter, but it seems like most if not all of the major characters are represented as spirits already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom