• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Do you also think Amy would be picked over Tails and Eggman if we were to get a 2nd Sonic rep?
Tails is already deconfirmed. Amy is actually next in line in terms of series priority if they don't choose Eggman for whatever reason. Also, I don't really support Amy anymore.

D

Deleted member

Tails is already deconfirmed. Amy is actually next in line in terms of series priority if they don't choose Eggman for whatever reason. Also, I don't really support Amy anymore.
Pretty sure both Knuckles and Shadow would have priority over Amy assuming Dr. Robotnik wasn't added. Amy may have been introduced before Shadow, but he's got more popularity. And Knuckles was introduced back in Sonic 3 well before Amy.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Or the Second Mascot, Eevee.
“Too many Gen 1 reps”
“Great. More genwunner pandering”
“I tire of Pokemon characters”
“Dante/Doomguy/Crash/Hayabusa would have been more hype”

These are the types of reactions I would expect if Eevee was DLC.

Pretty sure both Knuckles and Shadow would have priority over Amy assuming Dr. Robotnik wasn't added. Amy may have been introduced before Shadow, but he's got more popularity. And Knuckles was introduced back in Sonic 3 well before Amy.
He also assumes ATs are off the table.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
“Too many Gen 1 reps”

Yeah. Essentially I'd imagine the same types of Reactions that Hero got in the West. Everyone complaining until their Gimmick is shown off, considering it's not just the Mascot Factor going for Eevee, but also the Evolution Gimmick as well.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Or the Second Mascot, Eevee.
As a quick aside, I honestly think Eevee would be horrible in Smash. I mean, as a Pokemon, it's cute, but that's about it. Canonically speaking, its attacks are pretty basic and weak with zero flare. At least Pikachu has established itself as a potential badass along with its cool electric attacks. Lucario has aura, Greninja has his shuriken and ninjutsu, Mewtwo is....Mewtwo. There's a metric **** ton of other Pokemon that would fit way better into the Smash:

-Scizor
-Sceptile
-Gengar
-Weevile
-Dragonite

To name just a few. Sorry for the rant, and all due respect to Eevee. This is just my two cents on the matter. If we get another Pokemon, I really hope it's something legit badass and not just a kuwaii panderfest.

EDIT: If Eevee could somehow take advantage of its evolution mechanic, then I'd probably change my mind, but just sayin'.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sonic CD came out in 1993, though - Sonic 3 didn't come out until a year later (1994). Knuckles seems have priority over Amy - more consistent playable appearances, the "& Knuckles" meme, etc. - but I'm not 100% up to date on Sonic, so I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How was Tails disconfirmed? They can just do what they do with Toon Link and Dedede and have him not appear in Green Hill’s background when played as.

I don’t know if another Sonic character is likely, but Tails is certainly not disconfirmed (unless there’s something I’m not aware of?).

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
As a quick aside, I honestly think Eevee would be horrible in Smash. I mean, as a Pokemon, it's cute, but that's about it. Canonically speaking, its attacks are pretty basic and weak with zero flare. At least Pikachu has established itself as a potential badass along with its cool electric attacks. Lucario has aura, Greninja has his shuriken and ninjutsu, Mewtwo is....Mewtwo. There's a metric **** ton of other Pokemon that would fit way better into the Smash:

-Scizor
-Sceptile
-Gengar
-Weevile
-Dragonite

To name just a few. Sorry for the rant, and all due respect to Eevee. This is just my two cents on the matter. If we get another Pokemon, I really hope it's something legit badass and not just a kuwaii panderfest.
Eevee isn't just a Mascot, but also the Evolution Pokemon. 8 Different, Broken, Echo Fighters unlocked by how the Match Goes? Sounds like something Sakurai would 100% do.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How was Tails disconfirmed? They can just do what they do with Toon Link and Dedede and have him not appear in Green Hill’s background when played as.

I don’t know if another Sonic character is likely, but Tails is certainly not disconfirmed (unless there’s something I’m not aware of?).
He’s referring to the fact that Tails was a DLC Mii costume.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

“Too many Gen 1 reps”

He also assumes ATs are off the table.
Forgot Knuckles was an assist trophy. Still, I wouldn't classify Amy as having priority in general.

As for Pokemon...Eevee I don't see as likely either when they've got just about 900 choices that are better. If they were to get a rep, its more likely to be either Gen 8 or Gen 4 with the remakes seemingly confirmed. If we're lucky, maybe we can get Cynthia with her Garchomp or something.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The Mascot thing is what makes Eevee relevant, while the Evolution Gimmick is what makes Eevee likely, ontop of the "Pokemon Priority" effect each game since Brawl has had with prominent Pokemon throughout a Generation.

Faso115

Smash Lord
lol Street Fighter V accidentally leaked it's last character for the last season. Capcom is on a roll with leaks.

I want to say that given how much of a ****show capcom and leaks have been these last few months, it's making me believe they aren't getting anything this pass lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
They're assist trophies though. Though one could argue the case for Metal Sonic after Eggman.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
900 choices that are better
But how many of those 900 choices are promoted as much? You have to remember that marketing is a huge influence on Pokemon choices. It's not like Piranha Plant joining the battle before Toad/Waluigi.
“Too many Gen 1 reps”

These are the types of reactions I would expect if Eevee was DLC
I'll wait for it to happen before jumping to that conclusion. You could say that Sephiroth would've been massively disappointing because another swordfighter, doesn't expand the crossover etc.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know that. But who wants to purchase a figure that looks like **** just because it's cheaper? The sort of person who buys/collects figures in the first place would probably prefer a more expensive Shulk figure that actually looks good as opposed to something that looks like it came inside of a McDonald's happy meal.
Not me. I love my Super Mario 3 Happy Meal toys.

I'd also rather buy one *****y Amiibo and spend the other $180 on games than buy one $200 waifu bookshelf embarrassment.

Crash Bandicoot
Chun-Li
Dante
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa
Tales Rep

Place your bets now who it'll be in March!
I want it to be Hayabusa. But I think MH is more likely due to Rise.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'll wait for it to happen before jumping to that conclusion. You could say that Sephiroth would've been massively disappointing because another swordfighter, doesn't expand the crossover etc.
I agree that Eevee would be well-received among the more casual Smash fans, but that won’t stop some people from making the types of complaints I listed. After all, very few characters would be as polarising as Byleth was.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree that Eevee would be well-received among the more casual Smash fans, but that won’t stop some people from making the types of complaints I listed. After all, very few characters would be as polarising as Byleth was.
Of course there still will be complaints like that, but I can at least see some people saying things like "at least it's not Cinderace", "finally something not humanoid" etc.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As a quick aside, I honestly think Eevee would be horrible in Smash. I mean, as a Pokemon, it's cute, but that's about it. Canonically speaking, its attacks are pretty basic and weak with zero flare.
Completely true. But...so was Jigglypuff.

It totally wouldn't be a balancing nightmare to try and make a 9-in-1 package with the Eeveelutions :4pacman:
Not really that big a deal.

Make base Eevee's neutral special like an 8-way version of Shulk's Monado Arts that lets you pick which Eeveelution to change into.

Then you just give them all the same generic doggo moveset, then give each one a unique neutral special. Kirby is more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the Pokemon subject:
My feelings exactly.

Also:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On the Pokemon subject:
My feelings exactly.
Wouldn't have happened. 64's unlockables are all based on what could reuse assets from another, and I don't see any of the original 8 being a good base for Meowth, let alone the generic Dragon King fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
lol Street Fighter V accidentally leaked it's last character for the last season. Capcom is on a roll with leaks.

I want to say that given how much of a ****show capcom and leaks have been these last few months, it's making me believe they aren't getting anything this pass lol
What are you talking about that leak was for the next Smash charactet all along, enjoy them in both SFV and Smash!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Question time: What would you say is your "speculation style?" What do you look for in someone when making your predictions?

For me:
  • Bias - Yeah, gonna be honest here. I mainly focus on characters I'm actually interested in. Probably not going to be very accurate, but ah well. Not like we'd be very accurate anyways.
  • Underdogs - Going off of the above, I tend to lean towards characters that have things going against them rather than any of the obvious/safe picks. All the DLC so far has had stuff going against them and very little were widely predicted because of that, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with really popular predictions.
  • Breaking Precedent - Smash tends to break one pattern that it's held, then move on and break another one. Maybe not the most accurate of theories, but I tend to look for major precedent that hasn't been broken yet, rather than continuing any patterns. Goes hand-in-hand with the above point.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well.
  • No Rumors - If they're not from a credible source, I don't care. We've had loads of leaks that get things right, only to turn up wrong in the end. Credible sources only leak the fighter at the last minute. To think that any of the anonymous months-old 4chan leaks could know that in advance, even if they're just one fighter and not the entire pass, is extremely unrealistic.

Firox

Smash Master
Completely true. But...so was Jigglypuff.
To be fair, Jigglypuff is a bit more interesting with it's lullaby mechanic and balloony physics. Eevee, by contrast, is just a cute little puppy whose most interesting/devastating attack is probably just a headbutt. Yay. I'd rather have another grass type or something with a more readily available moveset that doesn't require too much forced invention on Sakurai's part.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To be fair, Jigglypuff is a bit more interesting with it's lullaby mechanic and balloony physics. Eevee, by contrast, is just a cute little puppy whose most interesting/devastating attack is probably just a headbutt. Yay. I'd rather have another grass type or something with a more readily available moveset that doesn't require too much forced invention on Sakurai's part.
Imo Swift and Last Resort could be pretty cool, and Sand Attack and maybe Charm could make for interesting mechanics, but yeah I guess its other attacks are all pretty basic/just look like stronger or faster versions of another attack (aren’t Take Down and Double Edge basically just heavy tackles?).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Question time: What would you say is your "speculation style?" What do you look for in someone when making your predictions?
I get my one personal bias pick (Nightmare) and the rest is more of a "who feels missing?", "what do the people want?" or "who would be obscure as hell but have a dope moveset?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom