• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Question time: What would you say is your "speculation style?" What do you look for in someone when making your predictions?

For me:
  • Bias - Yeah, gonna be honest here. I mainly focus on characters I'm actually interested in. Probably not going to be very accurate, but ah well. Not like we'd be very accurate anyways.
  • Underdogs - Going off of the above, I tend to lean towards characters that have things going against them rather than any of the obvious/safe picks. All the DLC so far has had stuff going against them and very little were widely predicted because of that, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with really popular predictions.
  • Breaking Precedent - Smash tends to break one pattern that it's held, then move on and break another one. Maybe not the most accurate of theories, but I tend to look for major precedent that hasn't been broken yet, rather than continuing any patterns. Goes hand-in-hand with the above point.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well.
  • No Rumors - If they're not from a credible source, I don't care. We've had loads of leaks that get things right, only to turn up wrong in the end. Credible sources only leak the fighter at the last minute. To think that any of the anonymous months-old 4chan leaks could know that in advance, even if they're just one fighter and not the entire pass, is extremely unrealistic.
My speculation style is that I spent the full-post ballot phase thinking and speculating on Daisy’s chances, moveset and win conditions and am now, what I believe to be three years after the E3 she was revealed, still looking for that same rush of speculation, roaming the wastelands for possible characters to support. And I have yet to find any, so I’m mostly here out of desperation of reliving an era long gone and also to type smart words.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
They're assist trophies though. Though one could argue the case for Metal Sonic after Eggman.
You mean as an echo right? The only way I see Metal Sonic getting in before Robotnik is if hes an echo. Like with getting Ken before Chun Li. Aside from that, Eggman is easily the bigger character and the choice for character.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Question time: What would you say is your "speculation style?" What do you look for in someone when making your predictions?

For me:
  • Bias - Yeah, gonna be honest here. I mainly focus on characters I'm actually interested in. Probably not going to be very accurate, but ah well. Not like we'd be very accurate anyways.
  • Underdogs - Going off of the above, I tend to lean towards characters that have things going against them rather than any of the obvious/safe picks. All the DLC so far has had stuff going against them and very little were widely predicted because of that, so I'm a bit hesitant to go with really popular predictions.
  • Breaking Precedent - Smash tends to break one pattern that it's held, then move on and break another one. Maybe not the most accurate of theories, but I tend to look for major precedent that hasn't been broken yet, rather than continuing any patterns. Goes hand-in-hand with the above point.
  • Entire Pack - When predicting more content, I tend to look for the entire pack rather than just the fighter. It's not just "(X) joins the battle," it's "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x (X)." Might be a bit of a divisive opinion, but I feel that the packs are a crossover with the series and not just the character, and they are decided by that as well.
  • No Rumors - If they're not from a credible source, I don't care. We've had loads of leaks that get things right, only to turn up wrong in the end. Credible sources only leak the fighter at the last minute. To think that any of the anonymous months-old 4chan leaks could know that in advance, even if they're just one fighter and not the entire pass, is extremely unrealistic.
You literally sums up everything for me, thanks and gotta be honest this Chun-Li train are all fueled by Sephiroth.

They say there's no pattern but proceed to say Chun-Li is up there high in the air in terms of likeliness. Yeah, Sephiroth open the door but you're not just instantly appeared the second he step in.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Have Eevee be Partner Eevee with all the moves that represent its evolutions without the evolutions actually being there. Except for its Final Smash, like its Z-move in Gen 7. I feel like that's how Eevee is handled in all media nowadays anyway, we've had one in, like, all recent anime seasons and the latest ones surprisingly "can't evolve".

Baddy Bad is such an awful name for a move though...

Tbh it’s kinda weird Meowth hasn’t gotten in despite his prominence in the anime, he’s practically Team Rocket’s talking Pikachu in a way.
Yeah, if only he would have been prioritized in Smash from the start, he'd still be super relevant today. Meowth is among the few first stagers to get new forms (regional, Gigantamax). Even though its only occurred twice (Alola and Galar), I'm kinda expecting Meowth to be given a new regional form whenever there are new ones.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

For me:
My speculation style is "Who it be? Heck if I know. Let's discuss any and every possibility no matter how ridiculous."

To be fair, Jigglypuff is a bit more interesting with it's lullaby mechanic and balloony physics. Eevee, by contrast, is just a cute little puppy whose most interesting/devastating attack is probably just a headbutt. Yay. I'd rather have another grass type or something with a more readily available moveset that doesn't require too much forced invention on Sakurai's part.
It also one of the few Pokémon that can learn Trump Card: A move that gains a power boost once you have used all of your other moves. Could be interesting with a few creative liberties, but Eevee's thing is definitely evolution rather than a specific move.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

For me:
My speculation style is just pure bias. If a character I want has a chance then I want them. If not then I hope they're a cool pick.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It also one of the few Pokémon that can learn Trump Card: A move that gains a power boost once you have used all of your other moves. Could be interesting with a few creative liberties, but Eevee's thing is definitely evolution rather than a specific move.
Yeah, if Eevee's getting any ability to buff itself, it'll be based on its evolutions.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

For me:
When it comes to speculation, well I'm pretty open. The thing is, as you can tell by my signature, I'm a fan of many, many characters and one thing that I love about speculation is bringing new characters to the discussion and discovering new franchises. So while I do have my biases (Crash is one of my predictions for this pass), I try my best to analyze each character as objectively as possible and am welcoming to any characters who are overlooked/underrated in speculation. This means that I look at tons of things. Nintendo's interest in the series, fan demand, whether the series would make for a good challenger pack, is the character viable moveset wise and can they be implemented in Smash without being boring or broken? How strong is the series going? Does it have a legacy? Which countries is it popular in? Is it on Nintendo? (Yes I still think this matters), etc.

I will also say that I help characters get more attention. For example I have been pushing Bill Rizer as I believe he has a solid case to be made and I encourage fans of any characters to make their case with logic and evidence. For instance, I have respect for the Adol fanbase because they jumped at an opportunity to make a case for Adol when eyes were on him, they provided strong arguments, and many people got won over.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For me:
Mainly underdogs, breaking precedent, and entire pack, with some slight bias. I admit Elma fits all four of those I definitely don’t predict the popular choices, not only cause they don’t appeal to me but also because we’ve gotten more unexpected peeps than expected.

I admit I do follow rumors sometimes but that’s only cause I am desperately starved for info

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

For me:
Can't really think of what speculation style I have, but sometimes I like to speculate on underdog choices, and then they eventually become characters I actually want. And then I start to look for reasons why they could have a chance in Smash.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

For me:
I’m pretty hard on bias. I don’t care much for speculating about characters I don’t find interesting.
Rumours are something I’m a little lenient on, if something is decently feasible as real I’ll probably give it some thought, I won’t be using it as a primary reason though. As they aren’t worthy of that.
Timelines are one of the things I’m most interested in. The reasoning for inclusions and when they were planned can help a good bit for speculating.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will say though, that Eevee's theme of evolution does allow it to use moves of whatever type you want. Want to give it Flamethrower? Sure, why not? Aqua Jet? Go right ahead. Thunder? Knock yourself out.

looks up Eevee's learnset

Apparently it can't learn any of these moves, but that's where creative liberties with evolution come in anyhow. You could have the evolutions themselves come in and attack or using the power of the Evolutionary Stones to use these attacks and/or temporarily evolve, or do something like what Staarih Staarih suggested and just say that it's using variations of the very kiddily named moves that Partner Eevee has.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we are getting a new Pokemon not from Gen 8 it's almost guaranteed to be from Gen 4 because of hypothetical remakes.

Firox

Smash Master
Mainly underdogs, breaking precedent, and entire pack, with some slight bias. I admit Elma fits all four of those I definitely don’t predict the popular choices, not only cause they don’t appeal to me but also because we’ve gotten more unexpected peeps than expected.

I admit I do follow rumors sometimes but that’s only cause I am desperately starved for info
This pretty much sums my thoughts up to a tee. Basically, I'm going for some of the underdogs, I take into consideration the entire pass, I tend to shy away from the more mainstream picks, especially due to the fact that Sakurai tends to do the same. And yes, I too am starved for info so I find a fair amount of pleasure in exploring rumors and fan theories.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Like 4 years ago I saw a copy at my local game store for like 70 bucks and I didn't buy it, and to this day I am kicking myself for not purchasing it.
TBH though, it shouldn’t even be 70 bucks, if Nintendo was even remotely competent about rereleasing their game library (especially the Gamecube one), this wouldn’t be a problem at all.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I will say though, that Eevee's theme of evolution does allow it to use moves of whatever type you want. Want to give it Flamethrower? Sure, why not? Aqua Jet? Go right ahead. Thunder? Knock yourself out.

looks up Eevee's learnset

Apparently it can't learn any of these moves, but that's where creative liberties with evolution come in anyhow. You could have the evolutions themselves come in and attack or using the power of the Evolutionary Stones to use these attacks and/or temporarily evolve, or do something like what Staarih Staarih suggested and just say that it's using variations of the very kiddily named moves that Partner Eevee has.
Eh, I kind of want Eevee to evolve though since that's it's entire shtick. It's the evolution pokemon. Like each eeveelution would have different stats like Umbreon being tough to knockout, Espeon's specials or Leafeon's normal moves doing increased damage and Jolteon being the fastest out of the bunch. It's something that would probably never happen for DLC but I can see it happen for the base game in the next smash bros.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, I kind of want Eevee to evolve though since that's it's entire shtick. It's the evolution pokemon. Like each eeveelution would have different stats like Umbreon being tough to knockout, Espeon's specials or Leafeon's normal moves doing increased damage and Jolteon being the fastest out of the bunch. It's something that would probably never happen for DLC but I can see it happen for the base game in the next smash bros.
I did put that in one of the possibilities. Though...I can't help but feel like any sort of evolution mechanic is going to be restricted to just Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, as anything else would just get cumbersome, or at the very least, have the issue of needing to develop 9+* fighters, even if most of them are clones.

*The + is for any additional Eeveelutions that are added in the coming generations.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Bunch of Nintendo E3 2006 footage released for those interested. (Some unreleased and some now in higher quality for the first time).

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
YEAH. Pardon the tangent, but it's always ticked me off to heaven above that in Let's Go Eevee, Partner Eevee couldn't evolve. The EVOLUTION Pokemon couldn't evolve.
it should have been let's go jigglypuff instead

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Echoes can still be semi-clones, in a way; just look at Chrom and Ken.
Yeah but at their core they're glorified alternate costumes that allow for gameplay changes so long as they don't mess with balance. In Shadow's case, this probably means that the biggest change he can hope for is a teleport Up Special, and maybe a slight power increase in exchange for a speed decrease.

kylexv

Smash Master
For Convenience's sake:

Characters that were leaked via datamines/Nintendo screwing up: :ultroy::ultryu::ultsimon::ulthero::ult_terry:
Characters that were leaked via images: :ultshulk::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultken:
Characters that were leaked via text: :ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultbanjokazooie:
Characters that were leaked unknowingly: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud::ultpiranha::ultbyleth:
Characters that were leaked so close to their reveal that it didn't matter: :ultsteve:
Characters that were not leaked: :ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultkazuya:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For Convenience's sake:

Characters that were leaked via datamines/Nintendo screwing up: :ultroy::ultryu::ulthero: :ult_terry:
Characters that were leaked via images: :ultshulk::ultdarkpit::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultken:
Characters that were leaked via text: :ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultridley::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultbanjokazooie:
Characters that were leaked unknowingly: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud::ultpiranha:
Characters that were not leaked: :ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:
I'm reading that as "every fighter from Pass 2 has been released without having been leaked prior"

EDIT: Can also be read as "the last 4 DLC fighters in a row weren't leaked before release"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Just came back from the SFV Winter Update Stream, tons of good stuff got announced there (an entirely new mechanic, Dan and Rose gameplay, a new bonus fighter 'Eleven'). And to kind of reflect back on the Street Fighter talk from this morning, I wondered something just for fun.

street_fighter_v_season_5_primary.jpg

Capcom has asked you directly to pick one of the following characters as their next rep in Smash Ultimate to tie in with SFV's DLC Season 5: Dan, Rose, Oro or Akira? Who would Smashboards pick as their next guest, and what would they bring along with them? Just a little game to pass the time.

The obvious answer here (and my pick) is Akira as she comes from another game, but still, perhaps there are some hardcore Dan fans in here?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Just came back from the SFV Winter Update Stream, tons of good stuff got announced there (an entirely new mechanic, Dan and Rose gameplay, a new bonus fighter 'Eleven'). And to kind of reflect back on the Street Fighter talk from this morning, I wondered something just for fun.

Capcom has asked you directly to pick one of the following characters as their next rep in Smash Ultimate to tie in with SFV's DLC Season 5: Dan, Rose, Oro or Akira? Who would Smashboards pick as their next guest, and what would they bring along with them? Just a little game to pass the time.

The obvious answer here (and my pick) is Akira as she comes from another game, but still, perhaps there are some hardcore Dan fans in here?
Dan, this game could use a joke character and getting beat by Dan is the ultimate disrespect.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
For Convenience's sake:

Characters that were leaked via datamines/Nintendo screwing up: :ultroy::ultryu::ulthero: :ult_terry:
Characters that were leaked via text: :ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultridley::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultbanjokazooie:
Characters that were leaked unknowingly: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultcloud::ultpiranha:
Characters that were not leaked: :ultrosalina::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultjoker::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rosalina and Robin were in the ESRB Leak, no? The exception is Lucina, who was replaced with Chrom there.

Also, you can probably add Byleth and Min Min to "unknowingly" (PracticalBrush and ...I forgot the guy's name, but they spelled her name on a string of tweets before the reveal). Steve can technically be added to "text" because of Vergeben too, I'd guess - since it kinda matched with the timing of his negotiations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Capcom has asked you directly to pick one of the following characters as their next rep in Smash Ultimate to tie in with SFV's DLC Season 5: Dan, Rose, Oro or Akira?
I'd imagine most people won't pick Dan for DLC because he'd be a semi-clone of Ryu who's gimmick is that he sucks, and between Oro and Rose, I believe Rose is the much more popular character. With this in mind I'd imagine the answer will overwhelmingly be Rose or Akira depending on whether or not the person wants Rival Schools stuff over a 3rd Street Fighter character, and I feel like Akira will be the more common answer for that reason.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

For me:
Is there a "**** if I know" option or does that fall under No Rumors

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Rosalina and Robin were in the ESRB Leak, no? The exception is Lucina, who was replaced with Chrom there.

Also, you can probably add Byleth and Min Min to "unknowingly" (PracticalBrush and ...I forgot the guy's name, but they spelled her name on a string of tweets before the reveal). Steve can technically be added to "text" because of Vergeben too, I'd guess - since it kinda matched with the timing of his negotiations.
The ESRB leak was after Robin and Rosalina were revealed.
Byleth and Min Min I feel are a bit harder to categorize since their “leaks” were a bit more obscure and more or less “someone I know watched it early here’s who it is” (I don’t remember seeing PracticalBrush leaking Byleth at all before the day of, but then again I usually head out before reveals to avoid spoilers)

kylexv

Smash Master

By the point the ESRB leak came around, both Rosalina and Robin were already revealed.
As for Steve, his case is a little weird, since he was in the oven for quite a long time. We don't quite know what was truth, what was misinformation, and what was a lucky guess. Also, Vergeben simply stated that Minecraft content would be in the game, not that Steve would be playable. I know many people prior to launch assumed he meant a stage or boss.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Steve can technically be added to "text" because of Vergeben too, I'd guess - since it kinda matched with the timing of his negotiations.
There was also that guy who made a pun about "data mining" minutes before Steve's reveal.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

For me:
My philosophy can be summed up as "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
As previously mentioned, the ESRB leak came after Lucina and Robin were revealed. I presume you meant the Gematsu leak instead, which came in three parts, the first of which came before Smash 4's reveal at E3 2013. That leak predicted every fighter except Rosalina and Luma, until Lucina and Robin's reveal made their predictions of Chrom and the Chorus Kids incorrect. It's widely believed they had an early plan for the roster.

Speaking of leaks, remember the Milk-BOSATU leak? I dunno about you, but I'm hella convinced he was referring to Min Min there, with only a couple of inaccuracies that could easily come down to interpretation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As previously mentioned, the ESRB leak came after Lucina and Robin were revealed. I presume you meant the Gematsu leak instead, which came in three parts, the first of which came before Smash 4's reveal at E3 2013. That leak predicted every fighter except Rosalina and Luma, until Lucina and Robin's reveal made their predictions of Chrom and the Chorus Kids incorrect. It's widely believed they had an early plan for the roster.

Speaking of leaks, remember the Milk-BOSATU leak? I dunno about you, but I'm hella convinced he was referring to Min Min there, with only a couple of inaccuracies that could easily come down to interpretation.
Yeah I think Milk-BOSATU was referring to Min Min too, and they somehow had a view of a future character being worked on which was ultimately Min Min

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Wasn't that from before Terry's reveal? I kinda doubt they'd know about Min Min at that point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom