• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Taking you back in time, to a place called 2010, where Annoying Orange existed.
I never watched it so

anyway try this on for size

next Smash trailer begins with “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? What, what, what are you doing??”

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
So I just found out something about Kid Icarus Uprising. The cast of composers in that game is off the charts!
Motoi Sakuraba (Golden Sun, Tales...)
Yuzo Koshiro (Streets of Rage, Etrian Odyssey...)
Masafumi Takada (Danganronpa, Digimon Story...)
Noriyuki Iwadare (Ace Attorney, Langrisser, Grandia...)
Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono, Xenogears, XC2...)

So my question is, if hypothetically we got another KI rep, what music would you like to come with them?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I never watched it so

anyway try this on for size

next Smash trailer begins with “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? What, what, what are you doing??”
“Meet Mario from Nintendo’s Super Mario series. He’s about to get his skull crushed by Ridley, vaporized and possessed by Galeem, and get nearly impaled by Sephiroth. This fate could have been avoided if he had... a Sassy Gay Friend.”

Seriously? Y’all never watched Sassy Gay Friend??

that show was my **** in college... that is until it advertised Mio every heckin episode...

hides her container of Mio

D

Deleted member

Yeah not much to talk about right now. Is it time for another game?

You can pick the last 3 characters for the game, but they all have to be from the same franchise. Who do you pick?
Easy peasy
D60F1B7D-FB56-49D8-82EC-F6BC047B1BC0.jpeg

34441C19-C530-48C0-A6CA-018EB777E777.png
2BED2E68-8C7D-4B72-BBD6-31958480BD96.png

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Hmm. And since Fire Emblem wasn't released on the service...

Sounds like we should be looking out for Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound to release as timed exclusives. Or at the very least, Earthbound as a timed exclusive with Earthbound Beginnings releasing on the Nintendo Switch Online service to drum up interest.
oh god... I just realised, what if Mother 3 is the one with a limited release?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
So I just found out something about Kid Icarus Uprising. The cast of composers in that game is off the charts!

So my question is, if hypothetically we got another KI rep, what music would you like to come with them?
the entire soundtrack.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I'm still salty this track never made it into Smash. It's from Motoi Sakuraba:

I'd also like this one. I'm amazed this one isn't in Smash to be honest:

Oh and I love this track. It would probably need a remix because it's very chill:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, shouldn't that have been the case when some other companies like Konami, Square and Capcom were selling their games as collections? Like the fact that they were selling some of their games as collections for the Switch rather than putting them on the NSO Online should've showed that getting other companies on board with NSO Online wasn't going to be easy.
I'lll hazard a guess and say that a major part of the problem is that Nintendo's views NSO's NES / SNES offerings as a separate bonus and thus they're not integrating them into the online properly. Contrast PlayStation Now and Xbox's Game Pass: both services offer ways to play both the classic games and the modern ones that are available in the services. Game Pass is explictedly not meant to be a big money maker right now, but instead aimed at enticing more people to get into the Xbox ecosystem. I dunno if Nintendo views NSO's classic selection that way.

That and the slow updates make it look like the classic games department is way understaffed. (Also, NoA continues to make baffling decisions by not including the original SMT while the NoJ does. In an era where Crunchyroll exists.)

nah I meant they pull a FE1 and translate it but make it limited
Somehow, I can't help but to imagine that going even more poorly for Nintendo than FE1 (who has a previous English rerelease). Not only would the physical release inevitably be the target of scalpers, but the official localization would no doubt be the primary target for hackers / modders. Meaning in turn that Nintendo's lawyers might have even more work to do (although how much they work already is uncertain).

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I wonder. Do any of you have a case for your most wanted character? Like even if it's just a speck of information in their favour or just something you hold onto for hope.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I would expect something like that if it was at all likely that they would even localize it in the first place.
If anything, it would probably just go onto NSO. Considering both Mother 1 and Mother 2 are properly translated, so there's no reason for the Limited Release.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I wonder. Do any of you have a case for your most wanted character? Like even if it's just a speck of information in their favour or just something you hold onto for hope.
I got a bit for Phoenix Wright. His popularity during the ballot era, and the fact hes got tons of leaked plans for this year make me hold onto hope he will come.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I voted for her on the ballot I guess.

If anything, it would probably just go onto NSO. Considering both Mother 1 and Mother 2 are properly translated, so there's no reason for the Limited Release.
You could say the same for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, but here we are.

Anyway, I just realized that I forgot pallet swaps for Bandana Waddle Dee I'll update the original post, but here they are if you don't want to go back and look:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: A spherical character with an orange body, a cream colored face, and yellow feet. He wears a blue bandana on his head, and wields a spear with a scarf just under the head that matches his feet.
  • Yellow: Bandana Waddle Dee’s body is now yellow, and his bandana is orange. This is his player 2 color from Kirby Star Allies.
  • Blue: Bandana Waddle Dee’s body is now Blue, his bandana is a lighter blue, his feet are purple, and his spear scarf changes to match. This is his player 3 color from Kirby Star Allies.
  • Green: Bandana Waddle Dee’s body is now a light green, his bandana is more of a dark green, and his feet and spear scarf become a very light green. This is his player 4 color from Kirby Star Allies.
  • Parallel Dee: Bandana Waddle Dee’s Body is a dark grey, almost black, and his face becomes a navy color. His bandana is now grey, his feet and spear scarf are purple, and his eyes are a flat yellow (meaning they no longer have detail; they’re like Meta Knight’s). This is based off of the Parallel bosses from Kirby Star Allies.
  • Corrupted Dee: Bandana Waddle Dee’s body is more redish, and instead of a cream colored face, he has a giant eyeball. He also has two strands of hair coming off of his head instead of the bandana, and his feet and spear scarf are now cream colored. This is based off of the corrupted version of the friendly Waddle Dee from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, which is straight up a Waddle Doo which…has some unsettling implications about Waddle Doos.
  • Sailor Dee: Bandana Waddle Dee wears a sailor hat, and his spear scarf is now blue. This is based off of Sailor Dee from the Meta Knight’s Revenge minigame in Kirby Superstar Ultra.
  • Spear Dee: Kirby wears a…crown? on his head, and his spear scarf is now red. The crown thingy consists of a red band, and a yellow jewel or armour plating. This is based off of Spear Kirby’s hat.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For Elma? Out the wazoo. And I’m still holding on to it all nearly three years later I ain’t the Elma Stan for nothing.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Yes, it's Zhao Yun. The fact that people say "Oh, Nintendo collaborate with KT with this and that" without even mentioning that collaboration is really strange because everyone knows that Hyrule Warriors is their most ambitious collaboration yet and I could see that going along Zhao Yun's favor since Nintendo love to pay respect to the original source material and the company they work with, kinda like how Bamco get their own rep because they develop Smash or that Steve and Minecraft is basically a bridge between Nintendo and Microsoft relationship to one another.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yes, I’m basically hoping that Breath of the Wild 2 releases in time and that Kilton, the creepy mask merchant from the original BoTW, gets a break-out role in the sequel in the exact same vein as the Happy Mask Salesman went from minor character in OoT to pivotal character in Majora’s Mask.
And then, picking a recent character, Sakurai picks Kilton.

It’s....a stretch. But it hasn’t not happened yet so, y’know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So um...Axl has a time stop super now, and he can just kinda...do it. So like, if he has it ready and you have low health, you pretty much can't press buttons or it's checkmate.

Can't see how that won't be absolutely infuriating. Nope. People definitely aren't going to hate this character. Not at all.

Can you imagine if they put something like that in Super Smash Bros.? lol

SKX31

Smash Master
My dissapointment was inmeasureable when the "Platforms_Switch" text on Dota Underlords' beta website:

betasite.png

Turned out to be "Hey, you can switch between playing on your PC and your phone during an Underlords match and not miss a single turn!" and not Nintendo Switch related (so far).

Anyhow, I have a case for Dota 2 (however small it is):

• The successor of a mod / map that spawned a genre.
  • Itself has a host of Nintendo references (some of which are direct), so those are easy to implement.
  • Could give a lot of unique gameplay mechanics to Smash Bros, depending on the character chosen.
  • Would be the game to choose if Nintendo really wanted to make a splash in Russia and a number of other countries like Peru and the Philipines.

Edit:

So um...Axl has a time stop super now, and he can just kinda...do it. So like, if he has it ready and you have low health, you pretty much can't press buttons or it's checkmate.

Can't see how that won't be absolutely infuriating. Nope. People definitely aren't going to hate this character. Not at all.

Can you imagine if they put something like that in Super Smash Bros.? lol
Which Axl? I can't help but to think Megaman X7 Axl or the real Guns N Roses Axl. The latter with time stop powers... terrifies me for some reason.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
a good 50% of my Estelle theories are held together with duct tape and dreams.

For example a producer at Falcom whose favorite character was stated to be Estelle, when asked about what character he would want in smash, He did not say Estelle. which is a similar situation that happened with an SNK producer around Terry's release

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
You could say the same for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, but here we are.
And that was never officially translated before 2020, where as Mother 1 and Mother 2 were, thus again, there's no reason to do the Limited Release.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The Demi-Fiend (or any SMT rep) actually has a decent amount going for him.
SMT I and II are on switch online, SMT III remastered was announced in a Nintendo direct as a part of the "main announcement" alongside SMT V, which is a switch exclusive that Nintendo seems to be involved with, at least as far as localisation (and every other megaten game other than persona has been exclusive since Strange Journey). Also TMS, since that's just a direct crossover between FE and SMT (or was supposed to be at least).

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon says otherwise.
Okay, and did they rip the Japanese Version and sell it for $6, or was that just the English Translation, which, when compared to the Fan Translation, is somewhat different? Unlike both Mother 1 & Mother 2, which both had International Translations done around the Time Period of their Initial Releases, so again, your point?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, and did they rip the Japanese Version and sell it for $6, or was that just the English Translation, which, when compared to the Fan Translation, is somewhat different? Unlike both Mother 1 & Mother 2, which both had International Translations done around the Time Period of their Initial Releases, so again, your point?
Sorry, I lost the plot.

My original point was that Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound are wanted enough titles that there's a good chance that they'll end up as timed exclusives like Super Mario 3D All Stars and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light.

If they were to finally go though all the effort of localizing Mother 3, there's no way they're gonna put it on the Nintendo Switch Online service (the localization would be too expensive for that), and I fully expect it to be a timed exclusive, especially if the previous two titles were bundled with it. Best case scenario though, they'd just sell it normally.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sorry, I lost the plot.

My original point was that Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound are wanted enough titles that there's a good chance that they'll end up as timed exclusives like Super Mario 3D All Stars and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light.

If they were to finally go though all the effort of localizing Mother 3, there's no way they're gonna put it on the Nintendo Switch Online service (the localization would be too expensive for that), and I fully expect it to be a timed exclusive, especially if the previous two titles were bundled with it. Best case scenario though, they'd just sell it normally.
1 and 2 are already fully released on Virtual Console and still are for the Wii U and in the case of 1, the translation was already finished decades ago but they canned the release of the final localized product. No clue how that's supposed to mean Mother 3 will get the same treatment as 3'd need an all new translation, but 1 and 2 becoming limited release would be like putting SMB or Kirby's Adventure up for limited release.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been plugging Reimu during my entire time here. Massive Japanese popularity, a small but strong Western fanbase and various translated fangames to circumvent the "Japan-only" and "no games on Nintendo" issues, arguably the biggest possible indie rep, which itself is something I've been predicting for a while (Steve doesn't count), and unless ZUN goes the whole hog and asks Nintendo to pay for his beer, she'd be extremely easy to access.

On the other hand, Adol feels like more of a gamble, but there's still enough to give me hope. Falcom is a highly influential developer, like SNK, and I'm hoping that repeats in this pass. Ys, in particular is among the oldest still-running JRPGs, beaten out only by Dragon Quest (Though depending how broad your definitions of "still-running" and "RPG," one could argue that Ultima, Dragon Slayer, and Zelda rank above it too).

That being said, I'm beginning to lean towards a Trails character as a Falcom rep. From what I can gather, it's become the company's main focus, is arguably more popular than Ys, and Trails of Cold Steel apparently sold a million copies. I've heard that Ys is more well-known outside of Japan, but Falcom is a Japanese developer and I'd imagine they'd want to cater towards their home audiences. It just seems that Trails is a more lucrative option for Nintendo. Oh, and I suppose you could argue that it represents Dragon Slayer by extension, but that's bit of a stretch. It's like Persona and SMT, except there's another series in-between that separates the two even further.

That being said, Adol still has the legacy going for him, and both series are still going strong. Plus, Kondo has stated that Adol would be his first choice for Smash... Or at least, he would if he knew how he would play. If all goes well, Nintendo would just request a Falcom rep, Kondo would say he wants Adol but doesn't know how to make it work, and go for Rean instead, only for Sakurai to take Adol as a challenge and make him work. At least, that's what I hope would happen.

My problem is that all my favorites are underdogs who are far from obvious picks. Still, we've gotten characters like Terry and Min Min, which nobody would've expected. Not saying anything is possible and fanrules are dead, but curveballs like those give me something to cling to and stay optimistic whenever I start getting worried.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
1 and 2 are already fully released on Virtual Console and still are for the Wii U and in the case of 1, the translation was already finished decades ago but they canned the release of the final localized product. No clue how that's supposed to mean Mother 3 will get the same treatment as 3'd need an all new translation, but 1 and 2 becoming limited release would be like putting SMB or Kirby's Adventure up for limited release.
Nintendo: removes Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound from the Wii U's Virtual Console "There. Problem solved!"

I'm mostly kidding but I can kinda see them doing that. Also I seem to recall the Virtual Console going offline. Was that just for the Wii? EDIT: Or was it something else like the Wii Shop Channel?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom