• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
For those who like Castlevania, Psycho Dream is a Castlevania-like game, with a lot of gruesome scenery, quite and intense music like Super Castlevnia IV and even a character who uses a whip. Heck, the final boss music is literally Ave Maria.
And apparently, this is the first time it's getting released in English. It was supposed to come out back in the day, but the publisher got bought by Sega, so that never happened.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah not much to talk about right now. Is it time for another game?

You can pick the last 3 characters for the game, but they all have to be from the same franchise. Who do you pick?
Mega Man X, Zero and Tron Bonne. Alternatively, Chun-Li, M.Bison and Alex.

If has to be a new franchise, Jin Kazama, Nina Williams and King.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Waiting for N64, GBA, and GCN NSO be like:
Image result for skeleton on bench
Continued selections like this to me further reinforce the idea that Nintendo is having some real trouble landing the big guns and their more prestigious titles with whatever deal they're proposing that offers them for, basically, free.

I mean, we're into the real obscure stuff now. And compare that to how stacked previous VCs that charged for individual titles were.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Image result for skeleton on bench
At this point I seriously think that Nintendo just forgot that they made Earthbound begining and Earthbound. Normally when they update the Nes and Snes games they have at least one pretty popular games like the last few times was dkc, dkc 2 and dkc 3, but this time there really is nothing. It's a shame because now that that they're just adding more obscure games, I really think Earthbound will never come.

Edit: Japan selection is way better withy SMT 2 and Mario picross.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yeah not much to talk about right now. Is it time for another game?

You can pick the last 3 characters for the game, but they all have to be from the same franchise. Who do you pick?
Skull Kid, Masked Link, and Vaati (but only if he gets lots of wind powers; otherwise, Impa)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Continued selections like this to me further reinforce the idea that Nintendo is having some real trouble landing the big guns and their more prestigious titles with whatever deal they're proposing that offers them for, basically, free.

I mean, we're into the real obscure stuff now. And compare that to how stacked previous VCs that charged for individual titles were.
I mean, shouldn't that have been the case when some other companies like Konami, Square and Capcom were selling their games as collections? Like the fact that they were selling some of their games as collections for the Switch rather than putting them on the NSO Online should've showed that getting other companies on board with NSO Online wasn't going to be easy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At this point I seriously think that Nintendo just forgot that they made Earthbound begining and Earthbound. Normally when they update the Nes and Snes games they have at least one pretty popular games like the last few times was dkc, dkc 2 and dkc 3, but this time there really is nothing. It's a shame because now that that they're just adding more obscure games, I really think Earthbound will never come.
I think it's the opposite. I think Nintendo knows that the Earthbound titles hold a special cache that the other retro games don't, and aren't going to drop them randomly like the others. I think when they show up, they will be used strategically as leverage either to entice or to alleviate or whatever the situation calls for.

I think Nintendo knows people care about those games. Earthbound performed very well for a VC title on the Wii U. But it's Nintendo, so that knowledge in and of itself won't make them go any faster. Sort of like offering additional systems. Nintendo obviously is aware of the demand for more, and they're perfectly capable of adding them... they'll just do it when it suits them. Successful Nintendo is in no rush. They have no fire under them.

One of the many situations in which Nintendo are asshats.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

For Japan they added Shin Megami Tensei II. It would be nice to get that one but I guess Atlus doesn't care enough to translate an old game just for a subscription service.

Besides Earthbound and Mario RPG, the lack of other Square RPGs is evident. No Chrono Trigger, no Final Fantasy IV-VI...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
For Japan they added Shin Megami Tensei II. It would be nice to get that one but I guess Atlus doesn't care enough to translate an old game just for a subscription service.

Besides Earthbound and Mario RPG, the lack of other Square RPGs is evident. No Chrono Trigger, no Final Fantasy IV-VI...
We have all the classic PS1/PS2 Final Fantasies available on Switch (aside from the online one) yet none of the Final Fantasies that initially released on the Famicom/NES or Super Famicom/SNES.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
We have all the classic PS1/PS2 Final Fantasies available on Switch (aside from the online one) yet none of the Final Fantasies that initially released on the Famicom/NES or Super Famicom/SNES.
Yeah, which is ironic if you ask me.

But that also shows Square Enix priorities about Final Fantasy. They know the FF games post SNES are the most popular ones, with some of them being considered among the best entries in the series by a lot of people. So I guess it's not like they don't want to port FF1-6 games to modern systems, but it is just not a top priority at the moment. This or there's a different reason. Maybe they have lost the source code for some of these games? It happened with FFVIII, so...

In the other hand, most classic FF games are available on Steam and Android if I'm not mistaken. So I don't know.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

But that also shows Square Enix priorities about Final Fantasy. They know the FF games post SNES are the most popular ones, with some of them being considered among the best entries in the series by a lot of people. So I guess it's not like they don't want to port FF1-6 games to modern systems, but it is just not a top priority at the moment. This or there's a different reason. Maybe they have lost the source code for some of these games? It happened with FFVIII, so...

In the other hand, most classic FF games are available on Steam and Android if I'm not mistaken. So I don't know.
That reminds me that one of the people at Square Enix (can't remember who) expressed interest in giving one of the SNES FF games the FF7R treatment. Can't remember which one, but I think it was either 4 or 6...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Square's more likely to do their own releases for the NES/SNES Final Fantasy games. If there are any games from them besides SMRPG arriving on Nintendo's service, I imagine it would be oddball titles like FF Mystic Quest or Secret of Evermore.

Just not sure how they would go about it. FFIV has sequels and both 2D and 3D versions. Do they do another FFIV compilation, do they do a compilation of IV, V and VI? I just hope whatever they do, they don't use the mobile versions of V and VI.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Yeah, if they are on Steam and Android, they might not have subscriptions for Nintendo ports. Same reason the NES and SNES titles for Mega Man, Contra, Castlevania and Street Fighter aren't likely to get added as well, given the recent re-releases for them.

Well except for Mega Man Soccer.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
By the way I've been playing The World Ends With You on the Switch, I bought the game a long time ago but never started playing the game until recently and I'm really liking it. The style is great, music is absurdily phenomenal, and combat is cool and fun, even if it obviously feels like the game was designed with the DS in mind. It takes a while to get used to but after that the combat works relatively well with the Joy-Con.

So... I'm really into the idea of Neku for Smash. I mean, I was already on board with him, but now I'm even more into it.

That reminds me that one of the people at Square Enix (can't remember who) expressed interest in giving one of the SNES FF games the FF7R treatment. Can't remember which one, but I think it was either 4 or 6...
That was Kitase, producer of FFVII Remake. He said the team also wanted to remake FFVI, but obviously that doesn't mean it will happen. If it ever happens it will be after FFVII Remake project ends.

Best approach for FFVII would be something similar to Octopath Traveler, I think. If FFVII already is a lot of work to translate to a bigger scale, I think VI would be even harder. The game has also the biggest cast of party members in the series.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
By the way I've been playing The World Ends With You on the Switch, I bought the game a long time ago but never started playing the game until recently and I'm really liking it. The style is great, music is absurdily phenomenal, and combat is cool and fun, even if it obviously feels like the game was designed with the DS in mind. It takes a while to get used to but after that the combat works relatively well with the Joy-Con.

So... I'm really into the idea of Neku for Smash. I mean, I was already on board with him, but now I'm even more into it.

That was Kitase, producer of FFVII Remake. He said the team also wanted to remake FFVI, but obviously that doesn't mean it will happen. If it ever happens it will be after FFVII Remake project ends.

Best approach for FFVII would be something similar to Octopath Traveler, I think. If FFVII already is a lot of work to translate to a bigger scale, I think VI would be even harder. The game has also the biggest cast of party members in the series.
It's something to keep note of, at least. Though admittedly, I know next to nothing about 99% of FF games, so who am I to say?

ZelDan

Smash Master
TBH I actually like the idea of adding obscure games to NES/SNES online, atleast theoretically. These are games that cannot be found in any sort of collection or NES/SNES collection or perhaps not even a virtual console from Wii/Wii U/3DS. Earthbound is great, yes, but you already have a couple ways to play that game now without needing an SNES (Wii U and SNES Mini...although not that many people admittedly own/owned a Wii U). Also, "obscure" doesn't always mean "bad." I mean, something like Demon's crest is pretty obscure in the grand scheme of things, compared to many other games or even many other Capcom games, but those that have played it have praised it and its generally considered a good game, making it an actually pretty smart addition to the SNES online thingie on Switch.

Now I don't know if stuff like Fire and Ice or Prehistorik are good, and by all means I'm not saying that I wouldn't want more notable games or heavy hitters added to NES/SNES online, but still, I think the idea of adding games few have played or are obscure is actually a nice idea (assuming said obscure games are actually good to some extent).

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m very conflicted on NSO. On one hand, it only has a solid 2 systems and is missing all time classics like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

On the other hand, it lets me experience iconic genre defining classics and obscure games I wouldn’t even have thought of trying, for just 20 bucks.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I will say that games like Demon's Crest and Adventures of Lolo were games I would have never played if not for NES/SNES mini, which kind of leads into my last point.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

Hey, I've been thinking about Neku in Smash, too! That's a funny coincidence. What do you think his moveset would be if he got in.

Personally, I've always seen his normals being various psychs. Sorta like Mega Man, where all his moves feel sorta like specials. I have no idea what his neutral special would be, but I was thinking his side-B, up-B, and down-B moves would be sorta like Dancing Blade, except his various partners would be doing it instead so you could move freely. But you could only get notable damage out of the combo if you alternate between Neku and a partner.

I mean, friendship and the connection between people is kinda the core of TWEWY, y'know? So I feel like you have to have at least a partner in there, and also it helps solve the problem of "all of Neku's moves are psychs, why are these specific ones on B". It's a little complicated, but uh... trying to control two people at once and it causing your head to spin is also kinda the core of TWEWY, so I think it's accurate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
TBH I actually like the idea of adding obscure games to NES/SNES online, atleast theoretically. These are games that cannot be found in any sort of collection or NES/SNES collection or perhaps not even a virtual console from Wii/Wii U/3DS. Earthbound is great, yes, but you already have a couple ways to play that game now without needing an SNES (Wii U and SNES Mini...although not that many people admittedly own/owned a Wii U). Also, "obscure" doesn't always mean "bad." I mean, something like Demon's crest is pretty obscure in the grand scheme of things, compared to many other games or even many other Capcom games, but those that have played it have praised it and its generally considered a good game, making it an actually pretty smart addition to the SNES online thingie on Switch.

Now I don't know if stuff like Fire and Ice or Prehistorik are good, and by all means I'm not saying that I wouldn't want more notable games or heavy hitters added to NES/SNES online, but still, I think the idea of adding games few have played or are obscure is actually a nice idea (assuming said obscure games are actually good to some extent).
It's not the presence of obscure stuff that weakens the selection, it's the continued lack of balance. The more games the better, and there is always a place for less prominent games to find a crowd. Which especially helps when they're (sort of) free. It's just that the overall selection is incredibly weak in another important tentpole, being widely beloved third-party games of that era. Of which, given this is the peak era of third-party Nintendo support, there are many.

I’m very conflicted on NSO, on one hand. It only has a solid 2 systems and is missing all time classics like Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

On the other hand, it lets me experience iconic genre defining classics and obscure games I wouldn’t even have thought of trying, for just 20 bucks.
I mean, it's missing a lot more than just Earthbound and SMRPG. That's just stuff from one already well-represented company.

I mean, shouldn't that have been the case when some other companies like Konami, Square and Capcom were selling their games as collections? Like the fact that they were selling some of their games as collections for the Switch rather than putting them on the NSO Online should've showed that getting other companies on board with NSO Online wasn't going to be easy.
I'm not sure what Nintendo thought their endgame would be with the selection provided with this service. Either they knew since the outset that they wouldn't be able to court the bigger names, and would suffice on the draw of their own content, which they've done before, or they, for some reason, thought third-parties would eventually come around, which seems naive, and probably isn't the case (unless they figured they'd eventually offer them a better price).

It lends credence to the idea being tossed around of the structure of the back catalogue being changed up. And I hope it does. It'd be nice to be able to keep things in what is basically a subscription-based model, but I'd rather have it piecemeal if it meant the selection would actually be good.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it's the opposite. I think Nintendo knows that the Earthbound titles hold a special cache that the other retro games don't, and aren't going to drop them randomly like the others. I think when they show up, they will be used strategically as leverage either to entice or to alleviate or whatever the situation calls for.

I think Nintendo knows people care about those games. Earthbound performed very well for a VC title on the Wii U. But it's Nintendo, so that knowledge in and of itself won't make them go any faster. Sort of like offering additional systems. Nintendo obviously is aware of the demand for more, and they're perfectly capable of adding them... they'll just do it when it suits them. Successful Nintendo is in no rush. They have no fire under them.

One of the many situations in which Nintendo are asshats.
Hmm. And since Fire Emblem wasn't released on the service...

Sounds like we should be looking out for Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound to release as timed exclusives. Or at the very least, Earthbound as a timed exclusive with Earthbound Beginnings releasing on the Nintendo Switch Online service to drum up interest.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's not the presence of obscure stuff that weakens the selection, it's the continued lack of balance. The more games the better, and there is always a place for less prominent games to find a crowd. Which especially helps when they're (sort of) free. It's just that the overall selection is incredibly weak in another important tentpole, being widely beloved third-party games of that era. Of which, given this is the peak era of third-party Nintendo support, there are many.
I agree, it would be nice if we did get more notable, big releases.

getting more classic third party stuff would be awesome, though that obviously would have a bit more loopholes behind it than getting classic first party titles.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I have lots of series I want 2 characters from(Arthur/Firebrand, Kiryu/Majima, Jill/Wesker, Zero/Sigma, Dante/Vergil), but I can't think of a series I actually want 3 characters from.

But gun to my head:
Chun Li
M. Bison
Juri

Square's more likely to do their own releases for the NES/SNES Final Fantasy games. If there are any games from them besides SMRPG arriving on Nintendo's service, I imagine it would be oddball titles like FF Mystic Quest or Secret of Evermore.
Release them SNES Quintet games, dammit!

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Nintendo vs Capcom would be clean.

Or a Capcom All-Stars.
doubt we're seeing another Marvel one after.... basically everything involving the MCU so probably a Capcom only fighting game or maybe a crossover with Konomi or something is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom