• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I wonder. Do any of you have a case for your most wanted character? Like even if it's just a speck of information in their favour or just something you hold onto for hope.
The amount of cases I have for Sora and Crash are so many, I could write a couple legal files about them.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Nintendo: removes Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound from the Wii U's Virtual Console "There. Problem solved!"

I'm mostly kidding but I can kinda see them doing that. Also I seem to recall the Virtual Console going offline. Was that just for the Wii?
VC going down was for Wii yeah, though give it a few years and the Wii U and 3DS will follow.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Nintendo: removes Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound from the Wii U's Virtual Console "There. Problem solved!"

I'm mostly kidding but I can kinda see them doing that. Also I seem to recall the Virtual Console going offline. Was that just for the Wii? EDIT: Or was it something else like the Wii Shop Channel?
The entire Wii Shop Channel had the ability to add points removed in 2018, with purchases being removed in 2019. *

Stuff already purchased can be redownloaded but for how long is a mystery.

*The Skyward Sword Update Channel and the Wii U Transfer channels are still active and can be downloaded.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
VC going down was for Wii yeah, though give it a few years and the Wii U and 3DS will follow.
Perhaps that's when they'll strike; Pissing everyone off and making bank off of it anyways.

Misery loves company.
"We're better than the competition because our stick drift is easy to fix."
-Nintendo, probably​

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wonder. Do any of you have a case for your most wanted character? Like even if it's just a speck of information in their favour or just something you hold onto for hope.
Hell no for Rhythm Heaven at this point, unless you consider being planned for Smash 4 something worth acknowledging, but a few for Arle.

- Puyo's cross-generational brand recognition in Japan surpasses Sonic the Hedgehog and competes with the likes of Sanrio. It was so popular in the 90s that it almost had a theme park. It stands as Sega's second largest franchise behind Sonic himself.

- Puyo Puyo has been on EVERY Nintendo console other than the Virtual Boy, and it was supposed to be on that one too before it flopped. It continues to have a significant presence on Switch with Puyo Tetris 1 and 2, Puyo 1 and 2 through Sega AGES and Puyo 2 on NSO as well (notably added over the readily accessible Kirby's Avalanche, Nintendo's own Puyo reskin).

- Much like Terry, Arle is a foundational icon of her respective genre and incredibly popular on another side of the world. Puyo 2 in particular was the biggest arcade game since Street Fighter 2 in Japan during the 90s.

I think these points make a pretty strong case for Arle - I'm not "expecting" her perse but there are a lot of great reasons to bring Puyo into Smash.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
- Puyo's cross-generational brand recognition in Japan surpasses Sonic the Hedgehog and competes with the likes of Sanrio. It was so popular in the 90s that it almost had a theme park. It stands as Sega's second largest franchise behind Sonic himself.

- Puyo Puyo has been on EVERY Nintendo console other than the Virtual Boy, and it was supposed to be on that one too before it flopped. It continues to have a significant presence on Switch with Puyo Tetris 1 and 2, Puyo 1 and 2 through Sega AGES and Puyo 2 on NSO as well (notably added over the readily accessible Kirby's Avalanche, Nintendo's own Puyo reskin).

- Much like Terry, Arle is a foundational icon of her respective genre and incredibly popular on another side of the world. Puyo 2 in particular was the biggest arcade game since Street Fighter 2 in Japan during the 90s.

I think these points make a pretty strong case for Arle - I'm not "expecting" her perse but there are a lot of great reasons to bring Puyo into Smash.
I knew nothing of Arle/Puyo before the lead-up to Ultimate, but the more I dig into it, the more shocked I kind of am that it has zero representation in Smash. It would've made 10x more sense to put a Puyo level in Smash 4 instead of another Sonic one, just to throw fans a bone a la Rathalos as well as gage Western interest.

I have zero idea who it should be and zero evidence to back me up, but I'm weirdly holding out for a second Namco rep. I don't even have that big of a history with them (Pac-Man and Soul Calibur is where it begins and ends with me), but I really want the big guns of Ultimate's developing team to go out with one last triumphant surprise for its fans.

D

Deleted member

It’s funny that all these companies keep trying out controller gimmicks for marketing purposes even at the expense of the overall quality, but they copy paste the same general button layout since they know that’s all you really need.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s funny that all these companies keep trying out controller gimmicks for marketing purposes even at the expense of the overall quality, but they copy paste the same general button layout since they know that’s all you really need.
To be fair, Nintendo was the one that started that general button layout and everyone else just followed suit. PlayStation added the dual sticks and extra trigger but Nintendo, being the way they are, made the most influential button layout and then shelves it for a decade before bringing it back on THIS of all things:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
To be fair, Nintendo was the one that started that general button layout and everyone else just followed suit. PlayStation added the dual sticks and extra trigger but Nintendo, being the way they are, made the most influential button layout and then shelves it for a decade before bringing it back on THIS of all things:
It's wild how just adding handles and altering the shoulder buttons made it infinitely better

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Random Thought: So Little Mac has a "meh" ground game because grappling in boxing is illegal right? What if he instead had a handful of command normals? They'd only be usable on the ground, which is both consistent with grabs and keeps with Little Mac's theme, but they could allow for some interesting utilities, such as giving him a dragon punch that's geared toward chasing opponents to above ledges. I'd make at least one of these attacks unblockable as well so it doesn't give him a new problem of "just block lol" (though he might be able to get by with doing high shield damage instead, but that could easily get super toxic).

SKX31

Smash Master
Random Thought: So Little Mac has a "meh" ground game because grappling in boxing is illegal right? What if he instead had a handful of command normals? They'd only be usable on the ground, which is both consistent with grabs and keeps with Little Mac's theme, but they could allow for some interesting utilities, such as giving him a dragon punch that's geared toward chasing opponents to above ledges. I'd make at least one of these attacks unblockable as well so it doesn't give him a new problem of "just block lol" (though he might be able to get by with doing high shield damage instead, but that could easily get super toxic).
Think you meant to say "grab game" instead of "ground game" there.

I'm not entirely sure myself on that - KO Punch is already unblockable (although it feels a bit superfluos when Mac doesn't lack kill moves) - but honestly, that sounds pretty interesting. Now I doubt Sakurai and co. will give the confirms :4littlemac: had back to him, so it honestly might give him some mix-up potential at least.

Of course, I'm someone who really dislikes the way Mac's playstyle's been enforced. While Rekzius' Little Mac video did have a major effect on how I view Mac as he is in Smash - especially how platform camping shuts him down - one of the issues I personally have is that Mac's playstyle feels railroaded. Those command normals would help with both those things, and that's a plus (assuming no rework).

The next DLC character is going to be an adorable character.

(Now to see if this post remains timeless).
Well, does this count?

Pillow

Smash Lord
The character is already gimmicky enough. He doesn't need something like this. His grounded normals need to be safer on shield / poke shield better. A character like Mac can never be good without being toxic, but he should at least be playable.

The next DLC character is going to be an adorable character.

(Now to see if this post remains timeless).
So Doomslayer then, got it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know

I never thought about the idea of Little Mac having command normals in the place of grabs, but it could be a good idea for his Grounded playstyle. The only thing I'll say is that while Hugging your opponent I believe is illegal, It sometimes is common in Boxing matches, or at least it was in the Mayweather vs Paccquio Fight

Personally besides potentially giving Mac his Down tilt combos back, I would personally increase the Range on his Aerials a little bit, and Also make all of them Launch the Opponent to the Ground. I think that will help Mac force the opponent back to the ground, while also making sure his Aerials still aren't that good

I did have the Idea of a character having No Grabs with Dante though. I imagine instead of Grabs, Dante's Grab button would either be the Style Switch button, or it would be a Gun/Shoot button with whatever Gun he has equipped. I thought No Grabs would be good as a balancing method because Dante has long range and has capacity for long combos. Instead I would give him High Shield damage to compensate for no grabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom