• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know this might end up sparking arguments but I'm kinda interested - what picks for Smash fighters (for DLC or just in general) do you feel are really, like, possible but slept on by most people? Throwing my own hat in the ring with Deoxys and Sophia (Blaster Master) - I might have said Maxwell but he's had a resurgence. Not intending to start a flame war, I'm just intrigued 😅
wait where was the Maxwell resurgence.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I know this might end up sparking arguments but I'm kinda interested - what picks for Smash fighters (for DLC or just in general) do you feel are really, like, possible but slept on by most people? Throwing my own hat in the ring with Deoxys and Sophia (Blaster Master) - I might have said Maxwell but he's had a resurgence. Not intending to start a flame war, I'm just intrigued 😅
While I think especially a place like this has considered many alternatives that are often dismissed I do think a Konami fighter has a better chance than many think. Them being relatively quiet for most of the DLC cycle only to end up reappearing via Fighter 10 or 11 just feels like a decent plausibility given what we've seen.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Speaking of Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark from an earlier conversation and even TimeSpltters to a lesser extent, It's really cool to see that several days ago even more leaked footage of the canceled remastered version of Goldeneye 007 (XBLA) leaked online.

While it's not really that new because this game was actually leaked a few years ago in a smaller capacity, But this time we really got a much deeper look at this major leak with the entire campaign being shown off.

I really hope this remastered classic somehow gets to see the light of day again despite the legal mess behind it regarding Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare, MGM etc.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Mmmm...I'll just answer this with characters I think people often underrate the chances of, but still are within the realm of possibility

1. Tekken Character (it's Sakurai, he could definitely find a way to incorporate a 3d movement mechanic if he wanted)
2. Master Chief (1 character per company rule is dumb)
3. Dark Souls character (The game is huge worldwide and pretty much spawned its own genre)

On the other hand, the characters I feel are often the most overrated in terms of chances are...

1. Crash Bandicoot (Still a decently likely character, I just feel people overrated his chances)
2. Elma (Sorry Rie)
3. Reimu (I love her but I'm just not agreeing with this one)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Raiden from Metal Gear Rising. He had really low chance scores on RTC and not many seem to discuss him. I've seen Alucard get more discussion despite being an Assist Trophy.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While I think especially a place like this has considered many alternatives that are often dismissed I do think a Konami fighter has a better chance than many think. Them being relatively quiet for most of the DLC cycle only to end up reappearing via Fighter 10 or 11 just feels like a decent plausibility given what we've seen.
Say, I've been meaning to ask, how leniant are they with Silent Hill? I know nothing about the series, but I know it's getting a crossover with Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals (a spinoff of an indie horror game called Dark Deception), which is an admittedly small game, so I was curious.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
1. Tekken Character (it's Sakurai, he could definitely find a way to incorporate a 3d movement mechanic if he wanted)
Thing is, Heihachi got a Mii Costume. I don't really agree with the "Mii Costumes must come with same company character" idea, but I kinda doubt they'd have a Mii Costume from the same series revealed before the actual pack.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sakura Shinguji and Euden. The arguments against them are understandable, but that doesn't stop me from supporting them.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Say, I've been meaning to ask, how leniant are they with Silent Hill? I know nothing about the series, but I know it's getting a crossover with Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals (a spinoff of an indie horror game called Dark Deception), which is an admittedly small game, so I was curious.
Konami have been seemingly pretty lax with their IP's (Pachinko Machines LUL). Remember that Castlevania got tons of content in Smash. I think they just don't crossover as often as say, Capcom, simply because their IP's are less popular. Silent Hill could definitely come to Smash, though if it does I think the best iteration of it would be a Pyramid Head boss fight instead of a playable Heather. Granted, if anyone could make it work, it's Sakurai.

Thing is, Heihachi got a Mii Costume. I don't really agree with the "Mii Costumes must come with same company character" idea, but I kinda doubt they'd have a Mii Costume from the same series revealed before the actual pack.
I agree with this reasoning, I just think that there's a nonzero chance a Tekken character appears unlike some other people. The franchise is very notable.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Realistically I think its all a matter of Nintendo's interest. Konami's used Silent Hill imagery for pachinko machines and put chibi Pyramid Head in Bomberman; a faithful representation in Smash would actually far more true to SH than most of what its owner has done with it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakura Shinguji and Euden. The arguments against them are understandable, but that doesn't stop me from supporting them.
On that note...

To anyone who plays Dragalia, what would you say is more prominent? The gacha mechanics and character-drawing, or the dragon transformations? I'm curious, because I'm been wondering how a gacha character could work in Smash. We already have a summon move with Zelda's Phantom, so I'm thinking it would either spread something like that out throughout the normals, or expand it into a Hero-esque RNG. Though, if that's how it goes, it could interfere with the whole dragon thing. Would it be confined to a Final Smash, or is it prominent enough that it would be Euden's main gimmick? In that scenario, would there be enough room for the character summons, or would that fall to the wayside?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah I've run dry on my Cortez quota for the day so I'll pick Axel Stone instead. Arle maybe the Front Runner for a Sega rep but Streets of Rage 4 was pretty successful in it's own right and the series has been continuously ported by Sega. Besides the soundtrack will make people easily forget about the "literal who-ness" of the series.

Speaking of Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark from an earlier conversation and even TimeSpltters to a lesser extent, It's really cool to see that several days ago even more leaked footage of the canceled remastered version of Goldeneye 007 (XBLA) leaked online.

While it's not really that new because this game was actually leaked a few years ago in a smaller capacity, But this time we really got a much deeper look at this major leak with the entire campaign being shown off.

I really hope this remastered classic somehow gets to see the light of day again despite the legal mess behind it regarding Nintendo, Microsoft, Rare, MGM etc.
Danjaq is the only roadblock for this remake since they own the Bond License and Nintendo doesn't own anything. Too bad they're really anal with the bond license. No blood, no good guys shooting other good guys and now no Bonds allowed at all because they think these games are "violence for the sake of violence".

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
On that note...

To anyone who plays Dragalia, what would you say is more prominent? The gacha mechanics and character-drawing, or the dragon transformations? I'm curious, because I'm been wondering how a gacha character could work in Smash. We already have a summon move with Zelda's Phantom, so I'm thinking it would either spread something like that out throughout the normals, or expand it into a Hero-esque RNG. Though, if that's how it goes, it could interfere with the whole dragon thing. Would it be confined to a Final Smash, or is it prominent enough that it would be Euden's main gimmick? In that scenario, would there be enough room for the character summons, or would that fall to the wayside?
Unless we get as summoner esque player character (Kiran for example), Gacha mechanic won't be a thing. Most of the characters in these games would function pretty similarly to any JRPG character already in Smash.

Though a gacha summoner character pulling out character rolls like G&W side B would be pretty hilarious ngl.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Aside from the Bomberman Mii, is there anything against a Konami character?
Cause it is possible Nintendo simply got the rights to other Konami costumes and figured Bomberman would be better elsewhere (Though nothing of that sort has happened yet).
Say for instance, if Silent Hill got a challenger pack.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lara Croft is a no brainer. Alongside Samus Aran, THE female video game main protagonist of their games.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Cause it is possible Nintendo simply got the rights to other Konami costumes and figured Bomberman would be better elsewhere (Though nothing of that sort has happened yet).
Historically speaking, the greatest enemy of Konami character's is Konami itself. Look what they did to Metal Gear and Silent Hill...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
1. Crash Bandicoot (Still a decently likely character, I just feel people overrated his chances)
You and me both. I honestly don't even think he's happening tbh. Feels like another King K. Rool as Sm4sh DLC scenario to me. You'd think people would have learned from that.

What especially hurts his chances are Activision not being easy to negotiate with if that cancellation of that cartoon is anything to go by, that there I think was a total blow.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think its a case where the remaining characters aren't as obvious as say Capcom's.

-Raiden lacks the same demand/popularity Snake had
-Contra characters would be a bit retro
-Castlevania's next natural character is an assist trophy
-Pyramid Head is a bit morbid as a potential fighter
-Sparkster is fairly obscure, even among platformer mascots

None of these are deal breakers by any stretch, but their nature means many don't think of them with the same frequency as a Dante, Chun-Li, Monster Hunter, or Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Historically speaking, the greatest enemy of Konami character's is Konami itself. Look what they did to Metal Gear and Silent Hill...
outside of Smash, yes.

When it comes to Smash though, Konami's actually been surprisingly generous, with Snake returning, All the Castlevania content we got (getting 2 characters even), and Bomberman getting both an AT and Mii costumes (with color pallettes).

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
A fair point, though Konami has been very generous with Castlevania content in base. Imagine if they were getting their own paid pack.
Still pissed all those SH rumors amounted to nothing.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ah i maybe now know Why Goku is the most Hated Smash Character The universe Survival Arc Ruined him Completly
(he still shouldnt be in of course but if youre honest he is probably one of the best Non Game Choices)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think so. There isn't much do go off of with Konami, since they started backing out of making games, but they evidently didn't care too much about Nintendo getting the rights to their main IPs. A rep from them would be a bit of a darkhorse, since they're not as big as they used to be, but they're still entirely possible.

SKX31

Smash Master
I would say anything by Falcom really, because it's a small enough studio that it often slips under the radar, but has SNK-esque qualities going for it.

Welp, time to spoil the plot of an old Japan-exclusive NES game.

The year is 1995 (the game came out in 1991), and fortune-telling is all the rage in Japan. The protagonist gets a fortune saying that he'll meet the girl of his dreams in a museum at the outskirts of town. Said museum is the Devil's Museum, where he does meet said girl, but an earthquake happens because of course. The protagonist recites an incantation from the show, but in doing so releases the Devil from a nearby vase. He then possesses the protagonist's body, heads to a scientist's lab, and steals a time travelling belt to distort history. The protagonist's soul gets dragged along.

It gets real crazy real fast, but that's all the Wikipedia article mentions (not even the ending), so you guys can figure out the rest.
If they went so far I'm kinda surprised that EAD didn't have the Devil distort 1666. When the Great Fire struck London. Here's an exerpt from Samuel Pepys' diary (2nd September 1666) (Dunno if it's NSFW or not - some elements of the diary definetely are though):

So down, with my heart full of trouble, to the Lieutenant of the Tower, who tells me that it begun this morning in the King’s baker’s house in Pudding-lane, and that it hath burned St. Magnus’s Church and most part of Fish-street already. So I down to the water-side, and there got a boat and through bridge, and there saw a lamentable fire. Poor Michell’s house, as far as the Old Swan, already burned that way, and the fire running further, that in a very little time it got as far as the Steeleyard, while I was there. Everybody endeavouring to remove their goods, and flinging into the river or bringing them into lighters that layoff; poor people staying in their houses as long as till the very fire touched them, and then running into boats, or clambering from one pair of stairs by the water-side to another. And among other things, the poor pigeons, I perceive, were loth to leave their houses, but hovered about the windows and balconys till they were, some of them burned, their wings, and fell down.
But still, the stuff that's already in the game begs the question: WTF were EAD thinking?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Honestly, our next Konami Character would absolutely be a Third Castlevania Character. It's EASILY Konami's Most Active IP at the Moment, and there's plenty of Untapped Potential in that Series that could be enough to warrant a Second Visit.

MattX20

Smash Hero
What do you guys think the earliest date will be when they reveal FP9? My current guess is March 10th

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, our next Konami Character would absolutely be a Third Castlevania Character. It's EASILY Konami's Most Active IP at the Moment, and there's plenty of Untapped Potential in that Series that could be enough to warrant a Second Visit.
The only question is who though? Given Alucard is an assist (In b4 assists can be promoted).
What do you guys think the earliest date will be when they reveal FP9? My current guess is March 10th
Somewhere between the 10th and 20th of March.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Lara Croft is a no brainer. Alongside Samus Aran, THE female video game main protagonist of their games.
Lara Croft is not slept on in this thread anymore. Lara Croft is in a weird state where everyone thinks she is simultaneously the most underrated character and also the most important character in videogame history, there is no in between when it comes to Lara Croft in this thread

Also it seems weird to Only use Gender as Lara Crofts only selling point, but that could just be me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except the most likely new Castlevania rep (Alucard) is an Assist Trophy.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Ah i maybe now know Why Goku is the most Hated Smash Character The universe Survival Arc Ruined him Completly
(he still shouldnt be in of course but if youre honest he is probably one of the best Non Game Choices)
I wouldn't say he's hated, people just get annoyed when he gets brought up all the time because he's not a videogame character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something that's a bit of a drowned out story is that Konami is getting some big money via Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (a railroad based board game), close to two and a half million in sales and dominating the Japanese charts for over two months now.

Essentially I could imagine a relatively decent relationship between Nintendo and Konami, especially if the latter develops more games based around how strongly the Switch is doing in the Japanese gaming scene.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Except the most likely new Castlevania rep (Alucard) is an Assist Trophy.
And Assist Trophies probably don't Deconfirm, judging by how Spring Man, an Assist Trophy, was among the rest of the ARMS Character during the tease. If Assist Trophies deconfirmed then Spring Man would've been excluded from the Tease.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
No correlation.jpg
One arc has nothing to do with his nonexistent Smash chances. Besides, the reason he's hated has been stated multiple times: he didn't start as a video game character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I just can't fathom and understand this obsession of what makes Goku an exception in many people's eyes.

What is it? Just popularity? May as well suggest Batman, Spongebob, and Shrek. They're popular so let's add them too!

No video game characters! Simple as that. Smash is about and celebrating gaming that even adding one non-gaming character would ruin what Smash is suppose to be about.

"But R-"

R.O.B. is a video game accessory that involves around video games.

"But what about Dra-"

Castlevania's Dracula is a version of a video game series based on the original source material that is public domain.

"Bu-b-but! But what about certain Greek gods and goddesses in Kid Icar-"

As I mentioned with Castlevania's Dracula, video game versions based on the original public domain source characters from Greek mythology.

No more excuses.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Something that's a bit of a drowned out story is that Konami is getting some big money via Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (a railroad based board game), close to two and a half million in sales and dominating the Japanese charts for over two months now.

Essentially I could imagine a relatively decent relationship between Nintendo and Konami, especially if the latter develops more games based around how strongly the Switch is doing in the Japanese gaming scene.
Oh crap I forgot Konami owned that. Considering it's Japanese Influence, I think there's absolutely a chance it gets a Fighter in Smash.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't think so. There isn't much do go off of with Konami, since they started backing out of making games, but they evidently didn't care too much about Nintendo getting the rights to their main IPs. A rep from them would be a bit of a darkhorse, since they're not as big as they used to be, but they're still entirely possible.
Yeah, the real issue with another Konami Rep in Smash is there really isn't THAT many notable franchises left for Konami to give to Smash. I think Silent Hill is really the only option without taking from an existing series (yes I know Frogger exists, no I don't think he's an option). I don't think his chances are great, but if we are getting a Konami character I'd probably bet on Raiden.

edit: I did forget about Momotaro Dentetsu...but that is a VERY Japanese-centric pick. Like, far more than Hero was. Hell, it's more Japanese-centric than ****ing Reimu Hakurei.

The only question is who though? Given Alucard is an assist (In b4 assists can be promoted).

Somewhere between the 10th and 20th of March.
The next Castlevania character will be Alucard. If assists can't be promoted then it means we won't get another Castlevania character.

Speaking of assist upgrades, how do you guys feel about characters coming that exist as assist trophies, but in a different iteration than they appear as an assist trophy (Like Zero looking like he does in Megaman Zero)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

So basically we're getting a train for CP9

%$#@ yeah

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Konami’s most active IP right now is Bomberman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom