• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
When it comes to Konami characters I think it will come down to Alucard and Bill Rizer

• Frogger is a classic game but interest around it hasn't been that strong for a while and there is not much demand for him.
  • Silent Hill is very popular but it might not fit with Smash due to its grim and mature themes.
  • Bomberman just got a Mii costume so his chances are dead in the water.

Alucard is definitely a contender as he was almost chosen and he is just a very popular character in general and the Netflix series has put the series back in the limelight. But the thing is Castlevania already has a lot of content. Meanwhile, Contra has zero representation.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still would bet that a Metal Slug squad would be alternate costumes of each other instead of echoes...there's like exactly 8 of them it fits too perfectly in my eyes.
Maybe, I just feel like Metal Slug relies so heavily on exaggerated expressions and how those animations reflect so much personality so... limiting them to costumes feels like squandering their potential to present one of Metal Slug's biggest claims to fame. Since naturally to tackle eight characters, like with the Koopalings, you'd have to kinda neuter their individuality and keep things kinda sterile in order to not look totally uncanny. Hence why like, Marco and Tarma could probably be alts but I really don't see Marco and Fio being one in the same.

Jill / Leon **** yeah, though I'm not sure their model proportions would be similar enough to be given the echo treatment. Plus Jill also has some weirder stuff in her moveset if they decide to reference her RE5 iteration.
I think it could work out, their builds aren't super different ignoring the... lady bits (I mean, if Marco and Fio can be costumes of one another then...), but god please keep Jill classic lmao. I really don't like her RE5 incarnation personally (also extremely biased toward her RE1 look), I think there's more than enough to work with using a pretty standard loadout of weaponry. She'd stand out a lot more that way too - RE5 Jill I feel would end up a little too ZSS-ish - and it would lend itself better to the theoretical Leon echo fighter if they tackle the concept with that in mind.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Technically I think both Ken & Simon opened the door for a second 3rd Party Rep. Granted they're echoes (at least Ken is a semi-clone) but they were still both the second instance of a character from their respective 3rd party series.

Sephiroth just opened the door of thinking allowing us to consider Villains from 3rd parties already represented. Unless people never really thought of Ken & Simon to begin with.
Sephiroth did kind of open the doors for 3rd Party villains

But More importantly, Sephiroth opened the door for Unique secondary characters from 3rd Party franchises. As Ken and Richter were echoes, there still was doubt on Characters like Chun-Li, Eggman, Alucard, and Sephiroth himself because of this. With Sephiroth in, people are free to Speculate on these characters

on that topic, for people accusing people of Pattern speculating because they might start predicting Eggman and Chun-Li, keep in Mind that the roster is already decided at this point. The logic is that if they chose a character like Sephiroth, not caring that he's from a Represented I.P, it's possible they chose character like Chun-Li or Eggman as well, especially since those are different types of audiences being appealed to.

People Speculating Chun-Li or Eggman are doing so because Sephiroth showed the "No unique 3rd party 2nd character" thing was bunk. not because Sephiroth himself is in

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Technically I think both Ken & Simon opened the door for a second 3rd Party Rep. Granted they're echoes (at least Ken is a semi-clone) but they were still both the second instance of a character from their respective 3rd party series.
That's not really the same though. They got in because Sakurai wanted to try expanding on the concept of clones. If it weren't for Echoes and the lack of difficulty to make them, they likely wouldn't have gotten in Smash.

I'm talking about unique characters like Sephiroth who couldn't be an afterthought. Someone who takes up enough time and energy that you'd have to commit to making them into a fighter over characters from third-party franchises lacking a character.

Sephiroth got in solely because of his legacy. If lack of FF representation was a priority in terms of being dealt with, we’d get a character from a different Final Fantasy game as well as content from multiple main series games similar to Terry’s pack instead of just more FF7 content because the last thing FF7 was lacking was a character and a stage.

In other words, there is no reason we couldn’t easily get someone like Chun-Li as a “Capcom rep” regardless of how much Street Fighter content there is because Sephiroth proves that characters don’t get added based off irrelevant factors like stages, music and spirits, rather its those content that gets decided based on the character selected.
No, I do think the lack of FF content helped a lot. There's more to think about more than just the character, which is what may have helped FF stand out from the other third-parties.

Obviously that's only an opinion, but I'm willing to bet things may have not played out the same if we already had a bunch of FF Spirits and tracks.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That would imply Capcom referencing RE5 nowadays. No one wants to touch RE5-6 nowadays.

If we get RE, it would likely be Leon with RE2 and 4 Alts, Jill with RE1 and 3 Alts, Chris w 1 and CV styled alts, and Claire with 2 and CV alts. At least that is what my gut says.
Ethan Winters with Lady Dimitrescu in the Spirit Board :4pacman:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
When it comes to Konami characters I think it will come down to Alucard and Bill Rizer

• Frogger is a classic game but interest around it hasn't been that strong for a while and there is not much demand for him.
  • Silent Hill is very popular but it might not fit with Smash due to its grim and mature themes.

Alucard is definitely a contender as he was almost chosen and he is just a very popular character in general and the Netflix series has put the series back in the limelight. But the thing is Castlevania already has a lot of content. Meanwhile, Contra has zero representation.
Basically this. Although a Pyramid Head assist would be reasonably interesting. TBH Silent Hill in my eyes fits better as a stage than it would with a fighter.

I think it could work out, their builds aren't super different ignoring the... lady bits, but god please keep Jill classic lmao. I really don't like her RE5 incarnation, I think there's more than enough to work with using a pretty standard loadout of weaponry. She'd stand out a lot more that way too (RE5 Jill I feel would end up a little too ZSS-ish), and it would lend itself better to the theoretical Leon echo fighter if they tackle the concept with that in mind.
Don't worry, the vast majority of people do not like RE5. Lowkey in the past few years I have seen more hate thrown its way than for RE6. RE6 sucks.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That would imply Capcom referencing RE5 nowadays. No one wants to touch RE5-6 nowadays.

If we get RE, it would likely be Leon with RE2 and 4 Alts, Jill with RE1 and 3 Alts, Chris w 1 and CV styled alts, and Claire with 2 and CV alts. At least that is what my gut says.
That's true. For the record, I didn't absolutely hate RE5 like I did RE6 though they are definitely both the weakest games in the series.

I'd be very down for that, though honestly I could also see Jill or Leon coming on their own without any of the other RE protagonists since they're the top dogs of the franchise, or alternatively 8 protagonists adding in others like Ada and Ethan.

Maybe, I just feel like Metal Slug relies so heavily on exaggerated expressions and how those animations reflect so much personality so... limiting them to costumes feels like squandering their potential to present one of Metal Slug's biggest claims to fame. Since naturally to tackle eight characters, like with the Koopalings, you'd have to kinda neuter their individuality and keep things kinda sterile in order to not look totally uncanny. Hence why like, Marco and Tarma could probably be alts but I really don't see Marco and Fio being one in the same.

I think it could work out, their builds aren't super different ignoring the... lady bits (I mean, if Marco and Fio can be costumes of one another then...), but god please keep Jill classic lmao. I really don't like her RE5 incarnation personally (also extremely biased toward her RE1 look), I think there's more than enough to work with using a pretty standard loadout of weaponry. She'd stand out a lot more that way too - RE5 Jill I feel would end up a little too ZSS-ish - and it would lend itself better to the theoretical Leon echo fighter if they tackle the concept with that in mind.
Yeah Jill has to have her classic costume with her beret. And the Metal Slug squad could work out like someone else suggested, with the character being them riding the Metal Slug mech so they'd function kind of like a larger Bowser Jr.

Basically this. Although a Pyramid Head assist would be reasonably interesting. TBH Silent Hill in my eyes fits better as a stage than it would with a fighter.

Don't worry, the vast majority of people do not like RE5. Lowkey in the past few years I have seen more hate thrown its way than for RE6. RE6 sucks.
Silent Hill Stage could be absolutely amazing, though I could also see Pyramid Head as a boss.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The funny thing is, when you spouted this in the Crash thread, you got told that you were blatantly wrong.

But even going beyond that, one cancelled project is not a trend. If anything, more evidence points towards Activision being easier to work with given that Nintendo was willing to trust them with ****ing Donkey Kong and Bowser. The working relationship is pretty strong as well, given Nintendo has advertised Crash on their system as recently as January. Heck, said ad pushed Crash and Spyro instead of LM3 or Odyssey. Besides, i want to remind you that we have got quite a few companies that are relatively hard to work with or controversial in smash. Konami is a stew of controversies. Square is notoriously protectionist. Microsoft is a giant. SNK is owned at least partially by Tencent. Nintendo got all of them to play ball in a big way in Ultimate.

If your best arguments are this cartoon argument, which you have already been told is weak and based on a lot of heresay about its cancellation and comparing him to K Rool in Smash 4 for some reason, I think you will need better arguments than that.
Yeah, It's not like Nintendo and Activision are complete strangers or haven't worked before over the decades of history that both companies have been around.

Nintendo and Activision have always had a regular working relationship like most 3rd party companies and have always regularly supported Nintendo consoles for the most part, While they don't actively have their biggest franchise in "Call of Duty" on Nintendo consoles for quite sometime, They have consistently supported Nintendo consoles with a lot of games within their demographic such as cartoon licensed games, Skylanders and of course Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon since the Wii era and under Universal Interactive during the Gamecube era.

I'm sure Nintendo and Activision are always having ongoing talks regarding 3rd party support whether it's small talk like promoting Crash Bandicoot in trailers, advertisements and online free trials or big reveals like an upcoming game or port (It's About Time) and yes even Super Smash Bros, That's how business works.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Don't worry, the vast majority of people do not like RE5.
I haven't honestly played it myself so my stance is moreso informed through MVC3... but RE1 / MVC2 Jill is one of my favorite Capcom designs ever so I have a bit of a personal grudge with this evolution. I mean, it all boils down to taste, but to me this is such an unfortunate downgrade. I think she's a hell of a lot more charming with pretty basic weaponry than she is with superpowers and **** too.

1612469836007.png 1612469875238.png

Seems like RE3 Jill is the one they prefer nowadays though, which is fine I like that one too. The STARS uniform is just top notch (and ought to be a Mii costume).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You have to put things in terms of a "Konami rep" or a "retro rep" for Contra to not seem unremarkable. And those are not categories that actually exist in terms of how Smash works.

Imagine Contra was owned by Capcom or Namco. It would get lost in the shuffle. And from a practical perspective it may as well be, since characters aren't selected for the purpose of giving their company another slot.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
irrelevant factors like stages, music and spirits, rather it is that those content gets decided based on the character selected.
I wouldn’t say over half the pack is irrelevant.

I don’t think mature themes really matter after we got RE Spirits and a Fatal Frame Assist.

Edit: Double quoted for some reason.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That's not really the same though. They got in because Sakurai wanted to try expanding on the concept of clones. If it weren't for Echoes and the lack of difficulty to make them, they likely wouldn't have gotten in Smash.

I'm talking about unique characters like Sephiroth who couldn't be an afterthought. Someone who takes up enough time and energy that you'd have to commit to making them into a fighter over characters from third-party franchises lacking a character.

No, I do think the lack of FF content helped a lot. There's more to think about more than just the character, which is what may have helped FF stand out from the other third-parties.

Obviously that's only an opinion, but I'm willing to bet things may have not played out the same if we already had a bunch of FF Spirits and tracks.
Except there is no reason to believe Nintendo would actually care about something as arbitrary as “enough” vs “lack of” representation when making business decisions like choosing the DLC characters. They are the ones deciding the DLC and the idea of them forgoing potentially profitable characters based on the idea that “Nah, their series has enough representation” makes no sense. Even if there were loads of FF7 content in the base roster, nothing would have changed for Sephiroth. Certainly, he wouldn’t have been less likely. Sephiroth is merely a reminder that the character matters more than series”reps”.

Pillow

Smash Lord
You have to put things in terms of a "Konami rep" or a "retro rep" for Contra to not seem unremarkable. And those are not categories that actually exist in terms of how Smash works.

Imagine Contra was owned by Capcom or Namco. It would get lost in the shuffle. And from a practical perspective it may as well be, since characters aren't selected for the purpose of giving their company another slot.
I'd agree with this. Characters should be judged by their own merit, without any consideration given to who owns their IP (unless the IP owner is Nintendo). Though I'd rank Contra better than "unremarkable" it's definitely a somewhat recognizable brand...just less so than many others that aren't in Smash yet.

I wouldn’t say over half the pack is irrelevant

I don’t think mature themes really matter after we got RE Spirits and a Fatal Frame Assist.
RE Spirits and Fatal Frame don't show any actual blood or gore. I think it's pretty safe to say there won't be blood in Smash. Though characters like Pyramid Head, Scorpion or Doomslayer could still be added after some censoring.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wouldn’t say over half the pack is irrelevant
Characters have always by far been the selling point of those packs with those elements being there to sweeten the deal, not influencing the DLC character roster. All things being equal, someone like Chun-Li is not less likely than the Monster Hunter or Dante based off those elements, hence their irrelevancy in terms of roster decisions.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I got to ask a Question

If Sakurai went with his Original plan of "1 or 2 Extra fighters" after FP1, do you think Steve and Sephiroth would have been it?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since we were talking of Konami reps, how about a little love for the Vic Viper? Gradius low key is a little slept on.
I'd prefer Twinbee personally.

A shoot-em-up character would be sweet, I like when new genres can join the fray since they usually offer really distinct new playstyles to boot.

1612470616539.png

If Sakurai went with his Original plan of "1 or 2 Extra fighters" after FP1, do you think Steve and Sephiroth would have been it?
No clue on Sephiroth, but I guarantee you there isn't a single timeline that Steve didn't make it into Smash. So I think he would have been here no matter what.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
So I got to ask a Question

Steve definitely, given all the leaks point to him being planned from pretty early on. Not sure about Sephiroth.

Honestly though, I think it's kind of pointless to speculate backwards like this. We (thankfully) did not only get 1-2 characters after FP1, but 6+

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I wouldn’t say over half the pack is irrelevant.

Edit: Double quoted for some reason.
Well those are fine within the context of them just being spirits and an assist trophy.

I should elaborate. Let's look at the monsters. A lot of them are contorted, bloody and generally scary looking. There are probably a couple that you could feature on a stage that wouldn't be too scary, but with a lot of them it's questionable. As for Pyramid Head I don't think he is too bad but some people do think he would be a bit much since like for example the metal on his sword is rusted from blood and if you have his sword be clean, it could take away from what makes Pyramid Head Pyramid Head. That is because the monsters themselves and their details are a representation of the protagonists' fears and emotions, which is a big part of Silent Hill. Basically, I think Silent Hill would fit better as either a stage or just having a Pyramid Head assist trophy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well those are fine within the context of them just being spirits and an assist trophy.

I should elaborate. Let's look at the monsters. A lot of them are contorted, bloody and generally scary looking. There are probably a couple that you could feature on a stage that wouldn't be too scary, but with a lot of them it's questionable. As for Pyramid Head I don't think he is too bad but some people do think he would be a bit much since like for example the metal on his sword is rusted from blood and if you have his sword be clean, it could take away from what makes Pyramid Head Pyramid Head. That is because the monsters themselves and their details are a representation of the protagonists' fears and emotions, which is a big part of Silent Hill. Basically, I think Silent Hill would fit better as either a stage or just having a Pyramid Head assist trophy.
To represent the fears of the Smash fans, his sword is now Marth's Falchion, duct-taped to Ganondorf's Doriyah blade and charred by PK FIRE.

Pillow

Smash Lord

Not sure I'd agree that the rusted blood is what makes Pyramid Head, Pyramid Head. I would think it would be his...pyramid head. Yeah, the tone and feel that make Silent Hill games remarkable definitely would not (and probably should not) be present in Smash, but that holds true for lots of series with darker undertones in Smash (Castlevania for example).

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Not sure I'd agree that the rusted blood is what makes Pyramid Head, Pyramid Head. I would think it would be his...pyramid head. Yeah, the tone and feel that make Silent Hill games remarkable definitely would not (and probably should not) be present in Smash, but that holds true for lots of series with darker undertones in Smash (Castlevania for example).
Yeah I did not mean to say that was the only thing that was important to the character.

I do think it's possible that Pyramid Head could be playable but it would take a bit of censoring of his content and I'm just a bit skeptical since Sakurai always likes to keep the characters as close to their source material as possible (well, most of the time....).

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Characters have always by far been the selling point of those packs with those elements being there to sweeten the deal, not influencing the character roster. All things being equal, someone like Chun-Li is not less likely than the Monster Hunter or Dante based off those elements, hence their irrelevancy in terms of roster decisions.
Yeah no I contest that. Like for instance, The overworld stage of Minecraft itself was far in a way more wanted than Steve ever was. It was quite clear Steve was added along with Minecraft, rather than the opposite.
I don’t understand your FF argument either. FF7 content was always a major complaint so adding more of that than other FF games make sense. Combine that with Square wanting to promote FF7 Remake and Sephiroth has tons of reasons to be added aside from pure legacy.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Uh, Raiden? I feel like Raiden is just as likely as Alucard, maybe not Bill though.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Uh, Raiden?
oh *****

How did I forgot about him? Well for my thoughts on him I do think he is probably the next Metal Gear character in line since I think Big Boss might be too similar to Snake. Plus Metal Gear Rising has I think pretty much no content aside from the Raiden spirit and maybe a few other spirits? I believe he is slept on a bit but Konami has not done anything with him or Metal Gear Rising recently and Metal Gear as a whole already has a good amount of content. I do think it could happen, but I don't see Raiden being a priority. But to be fair you could say the same about other characters.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I could see a stage or assist. But I really don’t see a big issue with toning down some stuff.
Just make Pyramid Heads sword extra rusty and jagged and remove the blood. Its still scary and unsettling. I don’t see any of SHs symbolism getting in the way of anything either. Aside from smash blatantly ignoring some canon, SHs DBD crossover featured Pyramid Head as the main star despite it conflicting with his very creation.
I’m confused as to what your stance is here. You say SH might be too mature but then say it would be a good stage or assist.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah no I contest that. Like for instance, The overworld stage of Minecraft itself was far in a way more wanted than Steve ever was. It was quite clear Steve was added along with Minecraft, rather than the opposite.
I don’t understand your FF argument either. FF7 content was always a major complaint so adding more of that than other FF games make sense. Combine that with Square wanting to promote FF7 Remake and Sephiroth has tons of reasons to be added aside from pure legacy.
It's definitely case by case. Steve, from what we've heard, was a result of the demand to "put Minecraft in Smash". Being moreso a vessel to experience Minecraft's world than an established character in his own right, his role is to best represent the core mechanics of Minecraft through a moveset while bringing the world right alongside with him. This is the purpose of most avatar characters in Smash.

Sephiroth on the other hand, I heavily doubt was added because "we need more FF7 representation". He was added because he's Sephiroth, one of the most popular villains in video games and one of the most iconic characters in Square Enix's arsenal. The additional FF7 content was a really great bonus, but it's clear that this is a situation where character precedes all. I mean, Sephiroth even got that special spotlight through the Sephiroth Challenge, really putting a heavy emphasis on how cool and intimidating this character is. His case is one entirely driven by the weight of the character themselves.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
It's definitely case by case. Steve, from what we've heard, was a result of the demand to "put Minecraft in Smash". Being moreso a vessel to experience Minecraft's world than an established character in his own right, his role is to best represent the core mechanics of Minecraft through a moveset while bringing the world right alongside with him. This is the purpose of most avatar characters in Smash.

Sephiroth on the other hand, I heavily doubt was added because "we need more FF7 representation". He was added because he's Sephiroth, one of the most popular villains in video games and one of the most iconic characters in Square Enix's arsenal. The additional FF7 content was a really great bonus, but it's clear that this is a situation where character precedes all. I mean, Sephiroth even got that special spotlight through the Sephiroth Challenge, really putting a heavy emphasis on how cool and intimidating this character is. His case is one entirely driven by the weight of the character themselves.
It doesn’t have to be one or the other you know. It could just have been the fact Sephiroth is an iconic character, who has reasons to be marketed, whose series is wanted more of due to its lack of content.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Gosh I’m really bored

some... rumors would be pretty nice right about now just sayin’

SKX31

Smash Master
To represent the fears of the Smash fans, his sword is now Marth's Falchion, duct-taped to Ganondorf's Doriyah blade and charred by PK FIRE.
I can already hear large segments of the Quickplay / Elite Smash playerbase trembling in fear. Because that would cause mass GSP drops.

The game's meta? Oh, he'll also cut that one down, and it'll be glorious :yeahboi:
The year is 20RULESOFNATURE... :4wario: .

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It doesn’t have to be one or the other you know. It could just have been the fact Sephiroth is an iconic character, who has reasons to be marketed, whose series is wanted more of due to its lack of content.
I never said that it had to be, you're spinning this on me. Yes, there are many factors that go into the inclusion of a character. But the way you've presented this puts far too much weight on the idea of Sephiroth being a vessel for that additional FF7 content rather than the irrefutable significance of his character.

Like, if we already had more ample FF7 content, Sephiroth may have still made it in on those other merits. Because he's Sephiroth. 99% of people buying Sephiroth are doing it because they want the massively iconic and popular character, Sephiroth.

You can get tangled up in this web of representation and whatnot but Smash becomes a whole lot simpler when you recognize that it's the character that precedes everything. Nearly every weird confusing decision that has ever been made and people try and make excuses for can be summarized with "they just thought adding this character would be neat", it's the community that overcomplicates things as proper representation or quota fulfillment.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, I’ll keep my eye out. Akira Yamoaka being back, and Masahiro Ito sounds a little too good to be true.

I could easily see Konami licensing out their IPs to make games for them. They’ve kinda been doing that already with these collections and even some of their games.
Yeah that would be the ideal thing. If I was Konami and I wasn't interested in developing new games, I'd license my IPs to other developers. The first thing I'd do would be having Platinum Games develop a sequel to Metal Gear Rising. Then contact Bluepoint for a remake of Metal Gear Solid (which has been already rumoured multiple times btw).
Maybe try again with Mercury Steam to develop a new Castlevania 2D game. If not them, then some indie but talented developers with experience working on metroidvanias could do a very interesting job, like Team Cherry. Or if they want to go risky ask From Software to make a 3D Castlevania game lol

For Silent Hill is a harder question though. I have a hard time thinking which studio could be a good fit. I assume Kojima would be out of the running, so I don't know.

The thing is I don't see all these ideas as strange or incredible risky. Everyone would be happy with a new Metal Gear Rising. Remakes are always a safe bet with relatively low investment, so that would be a no brainer. For Castlevania you have multiple talented indie developers nowadays that with a decent budget could make an interesting job, or even try to contact Igarashi to bringing him back, though I guess that option is unlikely as hell.
Silent Hill might be harder, but in worst case scenario you could go with remakes as well. As I said, as long as a remake is done properly, that basically guarantees money without having to invest too much, and fans will be happy. Everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom