• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Seven squares leak? please elaborate on what that is exactly. im curious to know

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of seven squares im convinced we’ll see Crono in some shape or form before DLC ends

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
That reminds me, I need to start playing Gravity Rush.

Once I finish the other 100 games in my backlog, that is...
That gives me an idea.

What games are you looking forward to playing in your backlogs?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Seven Squares "leak" is an index. It's not a leak.

It's seven different claims from more than seven different people. It's not a unified leak, it's a compilation of what Vergeben heard regarding Square-Enix. It's not real or fake as a whole, it's a list, and each one individually can be real or fake.

And to think most of them are real instead of lucky is to give far far far too much credit to random nameless people Vergeben heard who he didn't trust enough to endorse. It's throwing enough **** at a wall that some of it will stick.

You guys are making way too much of the list.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Let me peer into my crystal ball.

Yes.. Yes... AHHAAHAHHA.

The next character... has a vowel in their name!
Really? My crystal ball says "If you'd like to make a call, please deposit 25 cents."
Yeah, I think that's pretty close to how it goes, minus the whole "Popular series absorbs everything else" thing that happened with KoF. Trails has more popularity, but Ys is older and has more influence on it's respective genre. Ys is arguably in a better spot than Fatal Fury on it's own, as it's still getting releases and was one of the codifiers of the ARPG genre, rather than just advancing it. On the other hand, Adol isn't the full-on mascot of Falcom like Terry is, so it all evens out.
I know, remember that Ys/Trails crossover game? We take that, and make it canon.

If it can work for SNK, it can work for Falcom.
That reminds me, I need to start playing Gravity Rush.

Once I finish the other 100 games in my backlog, that is...
I'd play it... if it wasn't PLAYSTATION EXCLUSIVE!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I've been thinking about that 40 character list thing. Where did it come from and is there anything backing it up? Because I am skeptical on such a secretive document being leaked.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Can someone explain to me the seven squares leak?
To make a long story short, There was a list of Seven Character names that Square apparently had, that People in the Inside rumor mill knew about, including with prominent leakers at the time, Vergeben and Sabi.

The list however got leaked out, when it wasn't supposed to. in any case, apparently actual jobs were lost after that whole fiasco, but here were the names on the list

Luminary
Erdrick
Slime
Geno
Sora
Chrono
Sephiroth

This was Before Smash Ultimate's release and before Joker's Reveal. at the time it was rumored that the next DLC Fighter, the first one in fact, would be a Square character, since a Square character was being rumored around the same time Incineroar and Ken were.

Luminary and Erdrick would be in as Hero, Slime is a Background element, Geno is a Mii Costume (and people were told not to take him Seriously), Sora was said not to be in, and in recent times it's been said Negotations for sora failed, And Sephiroth was just recently added. Only Chrono is missing

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
IF the seven squares leak is true then that means we would be getting two more square characters as dlc. Am i understanding that correctly?

SKX31

Smash Master
Hey
So uh
Funny story

Out of boredom, I typed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate into the search bar to see if any news sites were reporting on leaks that are more than likely fake, just for the heck of it. And y'know what I found?
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fan Theory Points to Bandai Namco Rep as Next Fighter (comicbook.com)
View attachment 301914
They linked my theory about the Tales 25th anniversary livestream
I %$#@ you not, a theory I made got covered by a media news site
View attachment 301916
What the %$#@
IT HAS BEGUN, THE RISE OF SharkLord SharkLord .

(I'm dreading the moment someone on some site speculates about **** like "Rayman confirmed for FP2 because the Hoodlums dress like potato sacks according to the Rayman 3 manual and the Chinese nickname for Ubisoft is "The Potato Factory" because I happened to talk a lot about other regions. Or "Kratos is pretty popular in Russia, it would make 100 % sense for Nintendo to include him to corner the Russian market!")

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can someone explain to me the seven squares leak?
It's a list of names Vergeben had heard would be the Square-Enix character. From different people he had heard:

Luminary
Erdrick
Slime
Sora
Geno
Sephiroth
Crono

The character we would eventually get is Hero. Now people are, for some reason, assuming these nameless informants had such deep sources that they somehow knew things like Slime being a backup character and negotiations failing for Sora instead of just being... false information. They also assume the Sephiroth information is valid even though these claims predate the assembly of FP2, because they're dragging what happened with Steve over to Sephiroth, even though that theory is completely unfounded.

They assume the best of these sources, and treat the thing as a whole, instead of piecemeal, which is what it is in reality.

Vergeben publicized the names together, but the only thing that ties them together was all funnelling through Vergeben's ears. They are different claims from different people. It's not a leak, it's an index of claims. And as with most random claims, should be taken with a monumental grain of salt.

People now instead are giving this list so much credence because each character (minus one) can be tied to Smash in some way that they think every single one not only relates to valid information, but that the whole is so valid that Crono is somehow going to show up. It's backwards, and it's being propagated by people who aim to bolster the validity of every leak, no matter how contrived the reasoning, instead of evaluating it on rational grounds.

The extent of validity of this list is likely just Luminary and Erdrick. But even that is questionable, because those were oft-rumoured characters back then, so someone simply relaying a common claim to Vergeben is not inherently indicative of it being right.

IF the seven squares leak is true then that means we would be getting two more square characters as dlc. Am i understanding that correctly?
No. If the Seven Square leak is true it means we're getting one SE character. And we did. It was Hero. The claims, after that, are unreliable and outdated.

The extent of validity of this list is likely just Luminary and Erdrick. But even that is questionable, because those were oft-rumoured characters back then, so someone simply relaying a common claim to Vergeben is not inherently indicative of it being right.

Last edited:

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
So, 7NATOR, does the 7 include cloud. if the seven are already in then who are they.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Basically, what im asking, 7NATOR, Are you saying that 2b has a chance based on whether or not that leak is real?

7NATOR

Smash Master

I'm very sad. It seems no Five Nights at Freddy's Content coming to Smash, and also Fall Guys and Fortnite. The Dream of a Freddy Costume is dead

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm very sad. It seems no Five Nights at Freddy's Content coming to Smash, and also Fall Guys and Fortnite. The Dream of a Freddy Costume is dead
Press F for Freddy

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

It seems as though we weren’t ready for Freddy.

Maybe next time...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

sad FNAF noises

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Maybe a deal for a costume was signed in 2019 or 2020 and he is not counting that but the likelihood of that is like 5%

Man I'm actually quite disappointed about this.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Anything's possible, but these 2 characters have a lot going against them right now.

Even fake leaks don't want want to discredit themselves by adding those characters.
I definitely wouldn't put 2B on the same level as Kat. Kat's cool and all, but being owned by Sony (and not even being that popular to begin with) is pretty much a death sentence. One of the most believed leaks right now has KOS-MOS as a listed character, and I feel on their own, most people would find 2B more likely than KOS-MOS.

F for Fred.

With RE and Freddy seemingly out of the running, Silent Hill is our last hope for a horror game rep in Smash.

Truth the Ceomasterz33

Smash Journeyman

Rip FNAF rest in peace!
Oh nooo!
Skyward screams
NOOOOO!!!

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, 7NATOR, does the 7 include cloud. if the seven are already in then who are they.
Alright, I ain’t 7NATOR but I think I can help.
The seven were as follows.
Luminary
Erdrick
Slime
Geno
Sephiroth
Sora
Crono
These were all from separate sources Vergeben and Sabi had. Each one claimed to be a fighter.
Cloud was not a name on the list, as he was already confirmed.

Heres where things get tricky.
If you take them all at face value, only Luminary, Erdrick, and Sephiroth have any credibility.

But, since Vergeben and Sabi are incredibly credible sources, giving these names the benefit of the doubt makes something weird happen. I can not stress this enough, these names likely don’t mean anything.

Now Sephiroth, Luminary, and Erdrick are confirmed to be characters.
Geno is a mii costume, meaning his talks may have been misinterpreted.
Slime was confirmed to be someone Sakurai would have backed had Hero not come, so those talks check out.
Sora is heavily rumored to have been wanted by Nintendo, but Disney was being Disney.
This leaves the last name, Crono. He hasn’t shown up in any capacity. And thus the theory is that Chrono Trigger content will arrive in some form, that being a spirit event, mii costume, or Challenger pack if theres post FP2 content.

I’ll answer some big questions used to hurt the theory.

Why are they counted together? Its just a compilation of heard names.
They are all counted together as they were heard around the same time from the same credible leaker, its just that the sources were different. So, the idea is that each source heard something different and thus should be seen separately. But since these sources are from Vergeben and Sabi, it can be assumed these sources individually are accurate.

Does this mean Square is getting another fighter?
No. It is highly possible that the talks were for a spirit event or Mii costume, or the deal just fell through entirely. It is also possible Crono was just a bad source of information despite the fact Sabi and Vergeben are reliable.

Bottom Line, theres small evidence that Crono from Chrono Trigger will get content somehow. It likely doesn’t mean anything though.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, I ain’t 7NATOR but I think I can help.
The seven were as follows.
Luminary
Erdrick
Slime
Geno
Sephiroth
Sora
Crono
These were all from separate sources Vergeben and Sabi had. Each one claimed to be a fighter.
Cloud was not a name on the list, as he was already confirmed.

Heres where things get tricky.
If you take them all at face value, only Luminary, Erdrick, and Sephiroth have any credibility.

But, since Vergeben and Sabi are incredibly credible sources, giving these names the benefit of the doubt makes something weird happen. I can not stress this enough, these names likely don’t mean anything.

Now Sephiroth, Luminary, and Erdrick are confirmed to be characters.
Geno is a mii costume, meaning his talks may have been misinterpreted.
Slime was confirmed to be someone Sakurai would have backed had Hero not come, so those talks check out.
Sora is heavily rumored to have been wanted by Nintendo, but Disney was being Disney.
This leaves the last name, Crono. He hasn’t shown up in any capacity. And thus the theory is that Chrono Trigger content will arrive in some form, that being a spirit event, mii costume, or Challenger pack if theres post FP2 content.

I’ll answer some big questions used to hurt the theory.

Why are they counted together? Its just a compilation of heard names.
They are all counted together as they were heard around the same time from the same credible leaker, its just that the sources were different. So, the idea is that each source heard something different and thus should be seen separately. But since these sources are from Vergeben and Sabi, it can be assumed these sources individually are accurate.

Does this mean Square is getting another fighter?
No. It is highly possible that the talks were for a spirit event or Mii costume, or the deal just fell through entirely. It is also possible Crono was just a bad source of information despite the fact Sabi and Vergeben are reliable.

Bottom Line, theres small evidence that Crono from Chrono Trigger will get content somehow. It likely doesn’t mean anything though.
Sabi
reliable
uhhhhh about that... they’ve literally been collectively canceled for being a fraud, among other things I can’t mention here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom