• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I'm very sad. It seems no Five Nights at Freddy's Content coming to Smash, and also Fall Guys and Fortnite. The Dream of a Freddy Costume is dead
Isn’t Scott Cawthon a massive troll though? He’s definitely the kind of guy to claim hes not doing something whilst spending tons of time on it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
uhhhhh about that... they’ve literally been collectively canceled for being a fraud, among other things I can’t mention here...
Wait

I thought Sabi was legit, but that the Problem was how they got their Info was inhumane, and that the fact they'd just leak whatever despite the source not wanting them too made Alot of burnt bridges, to the point where you could Blame Sabi for the reason there aren't many leaks for Smash anymore

In any case, Sabi is no more, and I think it's definitly for the best after what the documents shown

genuinely a Freddy Fazbear Mii costume would not be that shocking to me. It's the right amount of cartoony to still work for Nintendo, even if that costume canonically has a rotting body in it.
Technically, the only Animatronic with a Rotting Corpse is Springtrap. Everyone else has Animtronic body, but they have Spirits inhabiting them

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Did FNAF have a resurgence or something?
I hadn't heard about it in years until it started popping up here.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Of course he did. It's the Crash thread. They aren't about to acknowledge anything that goes against Crash's chances.
That’s funny, because the exact evidence used to refute his claim is in my post. It’s like you didn’t read what I posted at all. You also assume a lot for a support thread that imo, is overall very realistic when it comes to his chances.

Providing more counter evidence than heresay=/= not acknowledging evidence, but whatever let’s you sleep at night.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey
So uh
Funny story

Out of boredom, I typed in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate into the search bar to see if any news sites were reporting on leaks that are more than likely fake, just for the heck of it. And y'know what I found?
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fan Theory Points to Bandai Namco Rep as Next Fighter (comicbook.com)
View attachment 301914
They linked my theory about the Tales 25th anniversary livestream
I %$#@ you not, a theory I made got covered by a media news site
View attachment 301916
What the %$#@
Well, if they found that, they might go for my saltine cracker popcorn shrimp recipe next. I need to protect it, it’s too powerful to fall into the wrong hands.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Profound Sadness.

Did FNAF have a resurgence or something?
I hadn't heard about it in years until it started popping up here.
I dunno if it ever truly died. FNaF World was rushed and didn't do so well, so Scott resolved to put more time into it and future projects. Even so I don't think there was that big of a break between FNaF World and Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, which seems to be one of the favorites.

Now it's becoming a large multi-media franchise for an indie series, with multiple novels, a movie (in the works), merchandise, and a new game big enough to get on Playstation's new game spotlight and even a graphical showcase from I believe NVIDIA. Oh, and there's also a fan game initiative going on where several fan games are getting officially supported releases, and some of them are even getting new installments, which is amazing since I think the only other series that has done something like that is The Touhou Project.

As far as people mentioning it more often, it seems to have become less of a powder keg topic, so one can bring it up without being made fun of or annoying anyone or something along those lines.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Thoughts on 1 Company Rep per Fighter Pass Theory

So, I am curios to know what anyones stance is on the theory that a company can only get one fighter per pass. Really try and convince me why or why not. Below are all of the characters with the companies they are from for those who are unaware.

Fighter Pass 1
Joker - Sega
Hero - Square Enix
Banjo - Microsoft
Terry - SNK
Byleth - Intelligent Systems

Fighter Pass 2
Min Min - Nintendo
Steve and Alex - Microsoft
Sephiroth- Square Enix
Don't even try to pretend Byleth isn't a Nintendo rep.

IF the seven squares leak is true then that means we would be getting two more square characters as dlc. Am i understanding that correctly?
Considering one of the ones on the list is a Spirit and another a Mii Costume, no. It would mean Sora and Crono got in in some form. But it could be as a Spirit Event or as Mii Swordsmen.

Last edited:

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
How come Kratos is the one that's usually mentioned when talking about Sony, and not Ratchet & Clank?
Being a "cereal mascot", you'd think they'd fit easily in Smash. They even have a game coming out soon.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
How come Kratos is the one that's usually mentioned when talking about Sony, and not Ratchet & Clank?
Being a "cereal mascot", you'd think they'd fit easily in Smash. They even have a game coming out soon.
Because GoW is bigger than Ratchet and Clank? GoW 2018 sold over 20 million units, while Ratchet and Clank sold 26 across its whole franchise. GOW sold 51 million total I think. It also helps Kratos is in Fortnite and shows up a ton in Sony ads.

Pillow

Smash Lord
R&C probably fit the Smash aesthetic better, but the reality is they just aren’t as big as Kratos. Their franchise isn’t dead or anything but it was just always B tier in terms of popularity and sales.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can't really give an accurate answer, but I can say that the first three characters that I think of when thinking of Sony characters are Kratos, Nathan Drake, and Ezio.

EDIT: This perspective is from someone who hasn't touched a Playstation in years and didn't really play too many games on it when I did have one.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's because Kratos is the most prominent "mascot" character Sony has, especially after Dad of War was a massive success. Nowadays we look at candidates from the angle of size and profitability rather than cartoonyness, possibly because we had only one cereal box character in a sea of humans last pass.
I can't really give an accurate answer, but I can say that the first three characters that I think of when thinking of Sony characters are Kratos, Nathan Drake, and Ezio.

EDIT: This perspective is from someone who hasn't touched a Playstation in years and didn't really play too many games on it when I did have one.
Ezio is Ubisoft

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ratchet and Clank do get a bit of discussion. If anything I think it's Nathan Drake that should get more talk. But to answer your question I can only think of how God of War 2018 made a huge splash and God of War in general seems to overshadow Ratchet and Clank in terms of popularity. But that's just my specualtion.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I've been thinking about that 40 character list thing. Where did it come from and is there anything backing it up? Because I am skeptical on such a secretive document being leaked.
Well, the short version is that it came from 4chan, specifically a guy claiming to have known a guy at Bandai-Namco who helps with Smash and that said guy had knowledge of a list of potential DLC characters but wasn't sure who was ultimately chosen. A guy named xenother xenother showed up and basically kinda halfway corroborated it stating that it hit some of the names he'd heard
Rumored Suggestion Smash.png

IF there's truth to this whole thing at all, I've typed out how it could POSSIBLY be true, just to humor the possibility like a FOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

I'll just include a link to my quote on that rather than type the whole thing again.

ASSUMING "The List" is real at all, this is my general belief for how this could fit together:

1. Nintendo executives or whatever team is involved, get together and go "We're gonna make Smash DLC fighters, what are some ideas you barnyard animals have?" and they hold a meeting.

2. In this meeting, Nintendo people toss around names, not terribly unlike what we do in speculation but in an official capacity. They lift names from several categories. "Which would promote new and upcoming games?" "Which would be fan favorites?" "Which third parties would we like to build relationships with?" etcetera etcetera etcetera. At this point, they haven't made any phone calls to anybody or any studio, they are literally just throwing names around the room and putting them on a whiteboard per se.

3. They wind up with around 40 names or so and then they go "OK OK you barnyard animals made quite a lot of noise. Good job, boiiiiiiiiiiiz meeting adjourned, now GET OUTTA HERE!"

4. The BIGGEST Nintendo executives take this list of names as far backstage as they can take it. At THIS POINT, we're talking producers, we're talking THE BIG BOYS! The people who "peer over their glasses" while asking Sakurai to add a character. It is at THIS point where the ACTUAL characters are chosen from the pool of 40 or so names, with a backup or so in case negotiations don't work (such as with the Sora situation). The guy who posted the 40 names on 4chan wouldn't have known which characters were ACTUALLY chosen because he's not part of this super secret group, he was just part of the group throwing names at the wall in parts 1 and 2.

5. Those Nintendo producers have ideas of their own, such as Min Min possibly being a specific request from the producer of ARMS. There could well be another character like this too, a "Nintendo producer said you HAVE to include THIS character, no ifs ands or buts", irrespective of whether they were on the list or not.

6. At last, the decisions are made, they meet with Sakurai, peer over their glasses, make some phone calls and meet for negotiations and all that stuff. After all is said and done, they never walk they never run, THEY'RE A WINNER! They make the characters and related content and then we argue about it.
Could all be bunk, could have something to it. Something to keep in the back of your mind, but not something to be beholden to like the Ancient Idol of Inka Dinka Doo.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Well, the short version is that it came from 4chan, specifically a guy claiming to have known a guy at Bandai-Namco who helps with Smash and that said guy had knowledge of a list of potential DLC characters but wasn't sure who was ultimately chosen. A guy named xenother xenother showed up and basically kinda halfway corroborated it stating that it hit some of the names he'd heard
View attachment 301926

IF there's truth to this whole thing at all, I've typed out how it could POSSIBLY be true, just to humor the possibility like a FOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

I'll just include a link to my quote on that rather than type the whole thing again.

Could all be bunk, could have something to it. Something to keep in the back of your mind, but not something to be beholden to like the Ancient Idol of Inka Dinka Doo.
Pardon me if I'm coming across as ignorant, because I'll admit I'm not into the whole leaking scene, but... with a list of 40 characters are you not like statistically more likely to predict with a higher level of accuracy than if you just fill the slots remaining? I'm not gonna deny that it's interesting that so many did line up, but that's just the inner cynic in me. Again, I'm not exactly in on the leaking scene but that's just my observation.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Because GoW is bigger than Ratchet and Clank? GoW 2018 sold over 20 million units, while Ratchet and Clank sold 26 across its whole franchise. GOW sold 51 million total I think. It also helps Kratos is in Fortnite and shows up a ton in Sony ads.
Huh, always thought R&C was an A-tier franchise, but looking at sales, that's wrong apparently. I guess that's the issue with personal anecdotes.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Pardon me if I'm coming across as ignorant, because I'll admit I'm not into the whole leaking scene, but... with a list of 40 characters are you not like statistically more likely to predict with a higher level of accuracy than if you just fill the slots remaining? I'm not gonna deny that it's interesting that so many did line up, but that's just the inner cynic in me. Again, I'm not exactly in on the leaking scene but that's just my observation.
Yeah, it's a monkeys on a typewriter situation. Throw out all those names, and you're likely to get at least one right.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Personally I call Ratchet & Clank, Sackboy and Kratos as part of Sony, 3 of them is like the Big League

And also I don't want to call Kratos "more likely" and create an echo chamber just because he is in Fortnite, it's not because Sony think he is THE mascot but because so far Fortnite crossover costume always featured normal human proportion.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I always thought Kat from Gravity Rush worked better in Smash than either of them, but that's DEFINETLY not happening.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
You definitely have a point there, but think about just how many characters there are that are possibilities for Smash. 40 is a small fraction of that, and that list has gotten everyone but Min Min so far so people take it seriously. Your more conservative approach is probs smarter though.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think Ratchet could theorically happen before Kratos if we have a Sony rep. Our first Capcom rep was Mega man, despite being smaller than Resident evil and Street fighter, and our first Microsoft rep was Banjo, who's obviously way smaller than Halo and Minecraft. To be fair tho, Mega man and Banjo both had strong ties to Nintendo, so I'm not sure if they would really go with Ratchet before Kratos, but who knows.

Personally I think Sackboy is also a possibility. LBP games actually sold more than Ratchet, it's just that Ratchet has a whole have so many games that it's seems very high, but if you look at each game individually it sold generally less than LBP.

Also for the information, if you want to just look at sales, the biggest Sony franchise is actually Gran turismo with 80 millions.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Ratchet could theorically happen before Kratos if we have a Sony rep. Our first Capcom rep was Mega man, despite being smaller than Resident evil and Street fighter, and our first Microsoft rep was Banjo, who's obviously way smaller than Halo and Minecraft. To be fair tho, Mega man and Banjo both had strong ties to Nintendo, so I'm not sure if they would really go with Ratchet before Kratos, but who knows.

Personally I think Sackboy is also a possibility. LBP games actually sold more than Ratchet, it's just that Ratchet has a whole have so many games that it's seems very high, but if you look at each game individually it sold generally less than LBP.

Also for the information, if you want to just look at sales, the biggest Sony franchise is actually Gran turismo with 80 millions.
To be fair, Mega Man and Banjo were huge requests at the time as well. I think that played a large part in them being added over the larger IPs their company owned.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Huh, always thought R&C was an A-tier franchise, but looking at sales, that's wrong apparently. I guess that's the issue with personal anecdotes.
While Ratchet & Clank is Sony's flagship platforming franchise, It unfortunately doesn't garner the attention and sales of more mature and realistic Sony 1st party IP's like God of War, Uncharted and the Last of Us, But then again that's just the way the Playstation audience mostly is and how the video game landscape is today.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
While Ratchet & Clank is Sony's flagship platforming franchise, It unfortunately doesn't garner the attention and sales of more mature and realistic Sony 1st party IP's like God of War, Uncharted and the Last of Us, But then again that's just the way the Playstation audience mostly is and how the video game landscape is today.
I always thought Little Big Planet was their flagship platformer

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ironically, that's part of the reason why I don't like Sony. I just cannot get into realistic games. I don't know if it's the way they look or play or what, but they just don't click with me.

Though that's just ONE reason why I don't like Sony...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ironically, that's part of the reason why I don't like Sony. I just cannot get into realistic games. I don't know if it's the way they look or play or what, but they just don't click with me.

Yeah, I was born and raised on more colorful Nintendo games and the occasional anime on the side, so I lean more towards stylized, anime-style games nowadays. The realistic artstyles just look boring. I much prefer some degree of stylization.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Since this is the one time in a blue moon where we talk about Sony reps, I think it's a good time to mention I once had a dream that Nintendo purchased Japan Studio from Sony (Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, if I'm not mistaken SotC as well).

Thus making all of these franchises first party.

...I would have been 100% okay with that. Alas, just a dream.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Back in the late 90’s/early 00’s, Sony was the heaven for anime-ish games. Ape Escape, almost any heckin jrpg you could think of. THE PS2 WILL ALWAYS BE THEIR BEST CONSOLE DON’T @ ME.

Then they moved their HQ to California and decided Anime Was A Mistake and got all gritty and ****

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I always thought Little Big Planet was their flagship platformer
It was for a few years in the late 2000s and early 2010s, but generally if you had to peg a franchise as Sony's main 3D platformer, I would go for Ratchet.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Since this is the one time in a blue moon where we talk about Sony reps, I think it's a good time to mention I once had a dream that Nintendo purchased Japan Studio from Sony (Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, if I'm not mistaken SotC as well).

Thus making all of these franchises first party.

...I would have been 100% okay with that. Alas, just a dream.
Somehow, I feel like Nintendo would treat those franchises better than Sony.

Yes, NINTENDO would treat then better.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm loving all this Bill & Lance talk.

Prime the pump now, for when I have to switch you guys over once Hayabusa is in!

Of course he did. It's the Crash thread. They aren't about to acknowledge anything that goes against Crash's chances.

Yes. Pyramid Head AT is the best representation Silent Hill should get.
I'm talking his chances for Smash, due to that Mii Costume.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Personally I don't think that realism is really a problem. Game like Horizon zero dawn, Death stranding, God of war all have realistic graphics, but they all have some different themes and I think they're all fun. Personally I think the problem is more in the gameplay, not that the gameplay is bad, but if you're not into linear action adventure semi-open world game, there's really not a lot of stuff remaining. Which is shame because when they do something different, they have really some amazing games (Tearaway unfolded, Concrete genie, Wipeout collection and some smaller games like Entwined or Sound shapes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom