• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait, Capcom made that game? I thought the whole rift between Capcom and SNK was that SNK made all these games but Capcom took most of the profits.
Well both made their own Games

SNk made 3 SNK vs Capcom games, including this Neo Geo Pocket version

Capcom Made 2 Capcom vs SNK games, as well as an updated re-release of the 2nd game

You can tell which company made which game by the Artstyle, General Gameplay mechanics, as well as who's Company name is first

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of unlikely characters, who's your most obscure personal want?
Derek Stiles from the hit surgery sim/visual novel on the DS and Wii, Trauma Center(TM)

also I got some unfortunate news

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
For the record, the 40 character list thing is absolutely worthless. There's absolutely nothing impressive about sticking 30 of the most popular/requested characters on a list and adding a few oddball picks.

Which ain't gonna happen. This is it after this.
I still am unsure why so many people are so confident this is the last DLC we're getting. Smash DLC sales have been extremely profitable for Nintendo. When FP2 was announced they said they had no plans for more, but I haven't seen any sources that fully claimed the Smash DLC cycle ends afterwards. Considering the Switch's success, I doubt we'll be seeing new Nintendo console anytime soon, so I feel like Nintendo will try to milk Ultimate for as long as they can. I suppose the real dream is Smash Ultimate 2nd Strike with a more characters, a functional online, and a real story mode though.

I don't think there's any characters I want in Smash that'd be considered obscure, though oddball wants of mine would be Hatsune Miku or an IDOLM@STER character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For the record, the 40 character list thing is absolutely worthless. There's absolutely nothing impressive about sticking 30 of the most popular/requested characters on a list and adding a few oddball picks.

I still am unsure why so many people are so confident this is the last DLC we're getting. Smash DLC sales have been extremely profitable for Nintendo. When FP2 was announced they said they had no plans for more, but I haven't seen any sources that fully claimed the Smash DLC cycle ends afterwards. Considering the Switch's success, I doubt we'll be seeing new Nintendo console anytime soon, so I feel like Nintendo will try to milk Ultimate for as long as they can. I suppose the real dream is Smash Ultimate 2nd Strike with a more characters, a functional online, and a real story mode though.

I don't think there's any characters I want in Smash that'd be considered obscure, though oddball wants of mine would be Hatsune Miku or an IDOLM@STER character.
Also the reason 4’s DLC span was so short was cuz 1. Split development, 2. Wii U wasn’t doing so hot, and 3. Wii U was nearing the end of its lifespan when Corrin and Bayonetta were announced

also, Idolmaster character, nice

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Wait, Capcom made that game? I thought the whole rift between Capcom and SNK was that SNK made all these games but Capcom took most of the profits.
Basically what 7NATOR said. Everything was part of some sort of collaboration project. Some games were made by Capcom, others were made by SNK. CvS2 which is probably the most popular one and usually considered one of the best games of the genre was one of the games Capcom made.

A fantastic touch was that the select screen of the game had the Capcom characters with artwork in the same style as the characteristic artstyle of Shinkiro when he was still working on SNK (ironically now he's at Capcom), while characters from SNK were made by Capcom, similar to the artstyle they used back then.

Some cool examples:

Which leads to some interesting and curious contrasts when you see the rendition the opposite company made for the same character. Each character has a Capcom and SNK piece of art.
Link with all the artworks if anyone wants to take a look: https://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/cvs2-p2.html

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
if sony won't put their characters in smash then they should make playstation all-stars 2
I really hope that's something that Sony really reconsiders again sometime during this generation.

Still somewhat leaning more towards a Playstation 5 over the Xbox Series X because of better exclusives overall, But a sequel to "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" will likely push me over to PS5 than Xbox.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
OFF TOPIC TIME!

Nintendo seems to be advertising Story Of Seasons a lot lately, The series sells quite well and is quite popular. There is a new game coming out in March...

Y'all know what this means...

STORY OF SEASONS COW FOR SMASH!

(inb4 someone says Steve is too similar to a SoS character, even though they are different genres.)

Pillow

Smash Lord
I hope that's something they reconsider again.

Still somewhat leaning more towards a Playstation 5 over the Xbox Series X because of better exclusives overall, But a sequel to "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" will likely push me over to PS5 than Xbox.
The concept of PSBR was pretty cool. It had tons of potential. But the execution was...just plain bad. To me, the game just was not fun to play, and felt cheap. If it were just a sequel, with the same core gameplay and mechanics, then I doubt I'd buy it. If they turned it into a blatant Smash copy like every other platform fighter in the past decade, or even a regular 2D fighting game like SF or GG then I'd be a lot more interested.

7NATOR

Smash Master

So the Reason people are More apprehensive toward the idea of Further DLC after FP2 is because of Sakurai's Statements.

Sakurai on Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter selections, his role, future of the series, more - Nintendo Everything

Sakurai on Min Min in Smash Bros. Ultimate, continuous development since Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS - Nintendo Everything

Though we’ve decided to make six more pieces of DLC, we do not have any plans to make more than that. My work on “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” will come to a close once those six fighters have been distributed.
Only 5 DLC fighters left now! Once I’m done with these, it’ll mark the end of our continuous development since Smash for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS.
This statements are strong. They don't just say no plans, Sakurai says that development on Smash Ultimate will be over after FP2. I, and others are taking his statements at Face value.

With that being said, I actually was reading on some other Articles from Sakurai and here's some interesting info I don't remember

Lots of Smash Bros. tidbits from Sakurai - DLC talk, Goku unlikely, not thinking about another ballot, more - Nintendo Everything

Smash Ultimate’s DLC wasn’t a thing at the time around Famitsu column vol. 546 January 11th 2018, and it was planned without the developers will.
There's also alot of other interesting info, about how DLC is More Risky than it might seem, and details into how Elements of Ultimate were made, but for this in Particular, it seems that the reason DLC exists was more on Nintendo, as it seems Sakurai and the team were not planning on having DLC

So that could be the silver lining to this whole thing about DLC after Ultimate. Though since Nintendo is the one funding the game, and DLC business is risky, I think they were also down with ending development after FP2. Perhaps after the Sales of FP2 and if they are good enough, there could be reconsideration, but I think at the moment FP2 seems like it is the finale

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the Reason people are More apprehensive toward the idea of Further DLC after FP2 is because of Sakurai's Statements.

Sakurai on Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter selections, his role, future of the series, more - Nintendo Everything

Sakurai on Min Min in Smash Bros. Ultimate, continuous development since Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS - Nintendo Everything

This statements are strong. They don't just say no plans, Sakurai says that development on Smash Ultimate will be over after FP2. I, and others are taking his statements at Face value.

With that being said, I actually was reading on some other Articles from Sakurai and here's some interesting info I don't remember

Lots of Smash Bros. tidbits from Sakurai - DLC talk, Goku unlikely, not thinking about another ballot, more - Nintendo Everything

There's also alot of other interesting info, about how DLC is More Risky than it might seem, and details into how Elements of Ultimate were made, but for this in Particular, it seems that the reason DLC exists was more on Nintendo, as it seems Sakurai and the team were not planning on having DLC

So that could be the silver lining to this whole thing about DLC after Ultimate. Though since Nintendo is the one funding the game, and DLC business is risky, I think they were also down with ending development after FP2. Perhaps after the Sales of FP2 and if they are good enough, there could be reconsideration, but I think at the moment FP2 seems like it is the finale
Didn’t you share something about Skullgirls getting more DLC all of a sudden after 5 years? Way I see it as long as the switch still has life in it they can always go back

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh boy, I could shill Crypto again but I'll give someone else a chance.

Image result for vectorman

He can get upgrades which turns his orb gun into a machine gun or make the pellets pass through multiple opponents and he can transform into different things like a rhino and even a tank.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would love to get either the Battletoads or Bill Rizer from Contra. I grew up with the NES and I think it would be great to get another rep from that generation. I know Ryu Hyabusa is the popular pick and he is pretty cool but I never really got to play his games so I never had as much a connection with him. The Battletoads have been my brother’s favorite game characters since we were kids and they have had somewhat of a resurgence in recent years so it isn’t totally impossible.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Didn’t you share something about Skullgirls getting more DLC all of a sudden after 5 years? Way I see it as long as the switch still has life in it they can always go back
Yeah, it's very possible

Now to be fair, Nintendo doesn't operate the same way as Lab Zero (I believe that's the people behind Skullgirls) Does. I don't think Lab Zero could afford to make another Skullgirls, so going back for DLC is likely for them if they want more revenue. Nintendo could just make another Smash game, whether it be upgraded port or entirely new

Now One interesting thing I remember is that I think Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 actually got DLC like 2-3 years after the last DLC came out, and that's a Namco made game since they make all the Anime fighters these days. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what I think happened, so if Namco could do something like that, perhaps Nintendo could too.

Pretty much, If Nintendo sees that it might be more worth to keep adding to Ultimate, instead of just making a new game, they might just do it, but it doesn't have to be right away. If Nintendo were the reasons Ultimate had DLC in the first place, they could be the reason for it to get more

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
That first one reminds me of that one arcade game called The Ocean Hunter, which I only learned about from RebelTaxi.

That game got surprisingly creepy. Especially with the boss designs...
I know what your talking about and lol I LIVE for those type of designs

Dolphin Blue is more of a Metal Slug type of game than a first person arcade shooter

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know what your talking about and lol I LIVE for those type of designs

Dolphin Blue is more of a Metal Slug type of game than a first person arcade shooter
Now that you mention it, the artstyle DOES look kinda like Metal Slug.

And since it was made by Sammy, is it safe to assume it's owned by Sega now? If I remember correctly, Sega gained the rights to Sammy's gaming IPs after the merger.

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Now that you mention it, the artstyle DOES look kinda like Metal Slug.

And since it was made by Sammy, is it safe to assume it's owned by Sega now? If I remember correctly, Sega gained the rights to Sammy's gaming IPs after the merger.
Yeah I think it is, but unfortunately seeing how Sega hardly acknowledges some of their own franchises, its likely we'll never hear from Sammy's side of Ips ever again

Also if I remember correctly 2 Franchises that use to belong to Sammy was Guilty Gear, and The Rumble Fish, until their original creators bought their rights
(Arc System Works and Dimps)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah I think it is, but unfortunately seeing how Sega hardly acknowledges some of their own franchises, its likely we'll never hear from Sammy's side of Ips ever again

Also if I remember correctly 2 Franchises that use to belong to Sammy was Guilty Gear, and The Rumble Fish, until their original creators bought their rights
(Arc System Works and Dimps)
And according to Wikipedia, Dimps is owned by four different groups (Bandai Namco, Sony, Sega Sammy, and Takashi Nishiyama).

We are going down a strange rabbit hole, I can tell...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's funny how none of these obscure characters are actually first-party. It's still Smash Bros you weirdos. :p

I'd like to see Aisya from Archaic Sealed Heat, Nintendouji from... Nintendouji, and Spotto from, uh, Spotto.

I mean that last one doesn't even have a spirit.

And I'd also enjoy seeing Dillon and Sukapon. Who are obscure in their own right, but not quite to the same extent.

Pillow

Smash Lord

I can see why people think it might end at FP2, and it very well could be, but I still think the chances of FP3 are pretty decent. For one, Sakurai always says he's done working on Smash, but ends up lying to us or himself or both. Beyond that, it doesn't actually have to be Sakurai developing new characters. A new director will have to take over the franchise eventually, and development of DLC rather than a full new game would be a good way to help test the waters for any would be game developers to take his mantle.

It's funny how none of these obscure characters are actually first-party. It's still Smash Bros you weirdos. :p

And I'd also enjoy seeing Dillon and Sukapon. Who are obscure in their own right, but not quite to the same extent.
A nice thing about Smash bros is it kind of helps expose characters like Dillion and Sukapon (and Starfy, Saki Amimiya etc.) These characters were definitely considered obscure but after they show up in Smash Bros as assist trophies I think they're on a lot of people's radars.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

I'd like to see Aisya from Archaic Sealed Heat, Nintendouji from... Nintendouji, and Spotto from, uh, Spotto.

It's Mike Jones for me

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice

You want obscure, I'll give you obscure
5116TG3VQVL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

In that case, Henry Fleming from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M..

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A nice thing about Smash bros is it kind of helps expose characters like Dillion and Sukapon (and Starfy, Saki Amimiya etc.) These characters were definitely considered obscure but after they show up in Smash Bros as assist trophies I think they're on a lot of people's radars.
Sukapon and Dillon actually used to be much more frequent requests during the Melee/Brawl and 4 eras respectively. For a minute post-Pit, Sukapon may have been the most popular retro. And I'm sure Dillon's popularity will return if his series does.

But Smash speculation is a weird little enclave that makes it their business to be familiar with these kinds of characters. The average person playing Smash outside Japan would have no ****ing clue who Sukapon is, so I agree it is nice they get a platform of some sort.

Though I will say that Sakurai really doesn't seem to care about keeping that middle era between retro and current overly populated with more niche/obscure stuff. Outside of Starfy and Isaac (who presumably only returned due to popularity), he's pretty much cut everyone else, from Barbara to Saki to Infantry & Tanks to Helirin to Ray MK to Jill. I miss that stuff. That weird, unappreciated c and d-tier stuff is my jam.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

If we are going First Party

Tethu/Tethi from Ever Oasis

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You want obscure, I'll give you obscureView attachment 301961
Yeahhhhhhhh... though that is considered part of the Wars series.

It's Mike Jones for me
I have to applaud the optimism of people who occasionally suggest a StarTropics revival considering Nintendo probably has to be reminded that series exists.

They're following their heart, if not their brain. xD

In that case, Henry Fleming from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M..
If we are going First Party

Tethu/Tethi from Ever Oasis
Those are good ones. And the funny thing is, they're what? Like five years old. Wait until they're retro, then they'll be, like, forgotten to time itself, lol.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Sukapon and Dillon actually used to be much more frequent requests during the Melee/Brawl and 4 eras respectively. For a minute post-Pit, Sukapon may have been the most popular retro. And I'm sure Dillon's popularity will return if his series does.

But Smash speculation is a weird little enclave that makes it their business to be familiar with these kinds of characters. The average person playing Smash outside Japan would have no ****ing clue who Sukapon is, so I agree it is nice they get a platform of some sort.

Though I will say that Sakurai really doesn't seem to care about keeping that middle era between retro and current overly populated with more niche/obscure stuff. Outside of Starfy and Isaac (who presumably only returned due to popularity), he's pretty much cut everyone else, from Barbara to Saki to Infantry & Tanks to Helirin to Ray MK to Jill. I miss that stuff. That weird, unappreciated c and d-tier stuff is my jam.
I'm not so sure it's that Sakurai didn't care for those types of picks so much as they kinda don't fit the direction Nintendo has been pushing for Smash (non Nintendo associated big name 3rd Parties) and there was a limited amount of development time. It is a shame to see them go for sure, as I'm a big fan of both Advance Wars and Custom Robo, but I feel ultimately I'm pretty happy to see stuff like Rathalos and Yuri as assists in their place.

While we're on the topic of assist trophies, what characters do you think wouldn't be suitable as playable characters would you like to see come to Smash as assist trophies in future iterations?

Ivander

Smash Legend
You want obscure?

Seriously, does anyone aside from me actually know about this series from anywhere that isn't the one song and 3 spirits in Smash Bros? Or the fact that it's 23 years old?

To me, it's the only other series aside from Final Fantasy Adventure and the Romancing Saga games that remind me of how criminally underrated Kenji Ito music is. Some frickin' fantastic music for a card game series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom