• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Yeah and whats wrong with that. There are no rules on wha
That's missing the point entirely. It has nothing to do with what dev gets DLC, it's about what dev chooses the DLC. And that dev is Nintendo.

If arbitrarily designating another developer as being able to pick, you effectively trigger the possibility of any other equally related dev the ability to pick, and thus inundate the theory with so many options that it decreases the chance of any one specific outcome, such as Monolith choosing KOS-MOS.
There are no rules on what devs can and cannot choose.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The theory is based on the idea that monolith solft gets a dlc pick. Also its a THEORY. Not saying it has to be kosmos as one of the dlc fighters. And since the theory is based on the idea that monolith soft is choosing, then of course they are going to choose a game fro xeno
Well in that case it's bunk based on the premise. It's Nintendo who's making the picks, and it doesn't make any sense for them to simply hand them over to someone who doesn't actually have a hand in development. They might say "Add a MonolithSoft character" to Sakurai, and then he would ask MonolithSoft for their input on who to pick, but that can't lead to KOSMOS because she's not a MonolithSoft character.

I'm not arguing that KOSMOS can't be DLC, but if she was picked, they would have have to have wanted her directly. There aren't any roads that would lead to her otherwise.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Well in that case it's bunk based on the premise. It's Nintendo who's making the picks, and it doesn't make any sense for them to simply hand them over to someone who doesn't actually have a hand in development. They might say "Add a MonolithSoft character" to Sakurai, and then he would ask MonolithSoft for their input on who to pick, but that can't lead to KOSMOS because she's not a MonolithSoft character.

I'm not arguing that KOSMOS can't be DLC, but if she was picked, they would have have to have wanted her directly. There aren't any roads that would lead to her otherwise.
None of what any of you are saying rule kosmos out as a possible dlc candidate.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The weight/shape thing is a fair point. I think Ryu isn't a good example, because his 2 normal sets really don't animate that differently from each other though they have different frame data and power, but I'll concede keeping the same character model is a good distinction between stance changing and transforming characters. If Smash does get its first stance change character, I would never have expected Adol, but I'll take anything to help him distinguish himself from Smash's large FE sword boys cast.
Actually the first stance change character in Smash is Min Min, though it's kinda limited.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice

like a fan request? What do you mean?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Actually the first stance change character in Smash is Min Min, though it's kinda limited.
Yeah, I didn't forget about Min-Min. I just don't find her weapon change system to substantially alter her moveset in the same way...as it is, it's a much smaller part of her overall gimmick as well.

That's missing the point entirely. It has nothing to do with what dev gets DLC, it's about what dev chooses the DLC. And that dev is Nintendo.

If arbitrarily designating another developer as being able to pick, you effectively trigger the possibility of any other equally related dev the ability to pick, and thus inundate the theory with so many options that it decreases the chance of any one specific outcome, such as Monolith choosing KOS-MOS.
For the sake of this particular argument...might I recommend using smaller words?

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
But the long standing rumors that seemingly come out of no where, like hayabusa and Kosmos, probably have some truth behind them
Some characters get "Rumored" into being frontrunners. It's happened alot this cycle where you have a character nobody heard about, a "Leak" has them on the list and then everyone starts jumping on the "Oh yes, X for Smash, they're my Most Wanted Now!" and then either the rumor gets debunked and their chances go down. (Arle) or nothing ever comes from it and rumors are built upon the old rumors.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, I didn't forget about Min-Min. I just don't find her weapon change system to substantially alter her moveset in the same way...as it is, it's a much smaller part of her overall gimmick as well.
Fair enough.

For the sake of this particular argument...might I recommend using smaller words?
Basically, the idea that a company or subsidiary got to choose a fighter would mean that other companies and subsidiaries also have the power to choose fighters. There's a metric %$#@ton of companies with ties to Nintendo, even if we narrow it down to the absolute closest ones, so it makes predictions a mess. Generally, theories are meant to come to a conclusion based on various points; In this case, KOS-MOS as a fighter. However, the point of MonoSoft choosing a character ends up muddying the waters further rather than narrowing things down.

...That's still too long, so to put it simply, too many cooks spoil the broth, which is why the heads of Nintendo are choosing the characters and not any other companies or subsidiaries.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
😬

Ok

There are no rules on what devs can and cannot choose.
Lemme just repost this for you
nintendo chooses who gets in
You nailed it, Nintendo chooses who gets in. Monolith doesn't choose who gets in. Them being under Nintendo is irrelevant. Nintendo has a lot of partners. There's as much evidence they'd defer to one party as there is to any other they've a good relationship with, and on that basis, the outcome that ends in Monolith choosing KOS-MOS is one of a countless amount.

Last edited:

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
😬

Ok

Lemme just repost this for you

You nailed it, Nintendo chooses who gets in. Monolith doesn't choose who gets in. Them being under Nintendo is irrelevant. Nintendo has a lot of partners. There's as much evidence they'd defer to one party as there is to any other they've a good relationship with, and on that basis, the outcome that ends in Monolith choosing KOS-MOS is one of hundreds.
That literally makes no since what you are saying. If nintendo chooses to let microsoft get a rep, then how is monolith soft getting permission impossible

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That literally makes no since what you are saying. If nintendo chooses to let microsoft get a rep, then how is monolith soft getting permission impossible
It's not that MonoSoft can't have a character in Smash, it's that they can't choose a character in Smash. Nintendo chose Steve and Banjo, not Microsoft. As such, Nintendo would choose Elma, Rex, KOS-MOS, or any other character from a MonoSoft-made game, not MonoSoft themselves.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What do you mean?
I'm gonna reiterate/sum up my argument in bullet points because that's how my brain is working at the moment, and then go to bed because I should have put head to pillow 2-3 hours ago:
  • If KOSMOS were to have been picked, the scenario you present would not have been how it happened for the following reasons:
  • It has been officially stated that Nintendo is the one making the character choices.
  • There is no reason for them to leave one of the decisions to a subsidiary company (in this case, MonolithSoft) that would otherwise have no hand in the game's development, as their goal is just to pick the characters they think would give them the most value.
    • You might argue that it would make them happy, but building rapport with subsidiaries isn't really all that necessary like it is with 3rd party companies since you own them; relations are already as good as they can get.
  • It is much more plausible that Nintendo ask for a MonolithSoft character, and have Sakurai make the final choice as to who this is.
  • If this were to happen, Sakurai could ask MonolithSoft for their input in a similar vein to what he did when looking for an ARMS character.
    • This could not lead to KOSMOS, as she is not owned by MonolithSoft, and thus would not be an option.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Any way Neon. Im going to bed for realsies this ti
It's not that MonoSoft can't have a character in Smash, it's that they can't choose a character in Smash. Nintendo chose Steve and Banjo, not Microsoft. As such, Nintendo would choose Elma, Rex, KOS-MOS, or any other character from a MonoSoft-made game, not MonoSoft themselves.
So nintedno chooses kosmos, it still works.

Jesus christ people, its a theory its not a fact. take it or leave it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I thought the whole thing of Monolith choosing was based of the same situation with ARMS, where Yabuki was apparently allowed to Choose whatever character he wanted from ARMS (that being Min Min), but that Nintendo themselves wanted an ARMS Character, but not someone specific

Now with KOS-MOS, because she's in a different situation in terms of her actual home series and Namco owning her rights, it's kind of a different situation if Nintendo just wanted a Xenoblade character or something like that

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna reiterate/sum up my argument in bullet points because that's how my brain is working at the moment, and then go to bed because I should have put head to pillow 2-3 hours ago:
  • If KOSMOS were to have been picked, the scenario you present would not have been how it happened for the following reasons:
  • It has been officially stated that Nintendo is the one making the character choices.
  • There is no reason for them to leave one of the decisions to a subsidiary company (in this case, MonolithSoft) that would otherwise have no hand in the game's development, as their goal is just to pick the characters they think would give them the most value.
    • You might argue that it would make them happy, but building rapport with subsidiaries isn't really all that necessary like it is with 3rd party companies since you own them; relations are already as good as they can get.
  • It is much more plausible that Nintendo ask for a MonolithSoft character, and have Sakurai make the final choice as to who this is.
  • If this were to happen, Sakurai could ask MonolithSoft for their input in a similar vein to what he did when looking for an ARMS character.
    • This could not lead to KOSMOS, as she is not owned by MonolithSoft, and thus would not be an option.
But you are wrong, because kosmos is not an impossibility. I can see that some people are taking a theory too seriously. Just take it or leave it. Its a theory.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I thought the whole thing of Monolith choosing was based of the same situation with ARMS, where Yabuki was apparently allowed to Choose whatever character he wanted from ARMS (that being Min Min), but that Nintendo themselves wanted an ARMS Character, but not someone specific

Now with KOS-MOS, because she's in a different situation in terms of her actual home series and Namco owning her rights, it's kind of a different situation if Nintendo just wanted a Xenoblade character or something like that
That, and Xenosaga is still a separate series from Xenoblade Chronicles. Nintendo would probably specify a Xenoblade character, rather than a general Xeno character, as they own Xenoblade and there wouldn't be any extra complications. This umbrella wouldn't include KOS-MOS, as they're from different series that are owned by different companies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
That, and Xenosaga is still a separate series from Xenoblade Chronicles. Nintendo would probably specify a Xenoblade character, rather than a general Xeno character, as they own Xenoblade and there wouldn't be any extra complications. This umbrella wouldn't include KOS-MOS, as they're from different series that are owned by different companies.
We are getting off topic here. who cares if she is not from the same series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Jesus christ people, its a theory its not a fact. take it or leave it.
But... there's a big hole in your theory. Monolith doesn't choose.

Nintendo choosing KOS-MOS, while not particularly likely, at least doesn't conflict with how choices are made.
Though at that point it's also not really a theory.

I also imagine that if Nintendo wants a Xenoblade character, they want the most recent Xenoblade character. Like how they want the most recent FE character. That's not a problem with ARMS because there's only one game, and it's likely not going to be a rotating cast.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But you are wrong, because kosmos is not an impossibility. I can see that some people are taking a theory too seriously. Just take it or leave it. Its a theory.
We're not saying KOS-MOS is impossible, we're saying the theory wouldn't really work. KOS-MOS' chances aren't tied to a theory.

And just because it's a theory doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism and reactions. If people don't think the theory fits with the information we're given, they're free to point it out. Agreeing or disagreeing with theories is a natural part of speculation threads like SmashBoards.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Any dlc character is possible. My theory was on why rex didnt get in and how Kosmos MIGHT have replaced him. Its just a theory. None of your wishlist characters are off the table cuz of my theory

NEON, if you think my theory has holes, then fine. But i know it doesnt.

Theory is on whether kosmos replaced rex. Thats it

At the end of the day if you think there is a problem with my theory then go find another one.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Its just from a Logical sense it doesn't add up.

A.) Nintendo would go for Rex over KOS-MOS Most days given he's the star of the new Xenoblade.
B.) If Rex WAS Replaced, it would likely be someone else from Xenoblade... the series they're pushing.

Pillow

Smash Lord
So, on the topic of stance change characters? What other mechanics/gimmicks do you guys think would be cool to see added to Smash? I always thought any rhythm game character should have some sort of rhythm minigame incorporated into their moveset.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
We're never getting them. But I would love to see a character intentionally designed to be so annoying/toxic that they become universally banned in competitive play.

I'm talking Specials with gimmicks like what you see in Spirit Battles. Reversed Controls, Foggy, Screen Flip, Wind, Gravity Change.

Aside from that, they'd be garbage. Terrible Frame Date, Slow, Bad Recovery, Basic Combat Abilities. But the Special Attack Spirit Gimmicks would make them... not Impossible to fight, but Unbearable without spirits. And since Spirits are Rarely/Never Used in anything competitive.... Haha...

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ya know, kinda of wish we got new items witch each new DLC character.

Cuz whatever you think Smash is, at the end if the day, items exist, and having more to play with would make the game more fun and interesting imo.

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
So, on the topic of stance change characters? What other mechanics/gimmicks do you guys think would be cool to see added to Smash? I always thought any rhythm game character should have some sort of rhythm minigame incorporated into their moveset.
For gimmick, I like to see more characters that can borrow other moves from other characters within their own series or the company's other franchises.

Using KOS-MOS as a example, she can borrow her teammate's attack like the Cyber Kick, Fallen Eagle, Phoenix Strike, Choke, etc for some of her moveset besides weapon switching for her attack. Something like Ness or Lucas who borrow some PSI moves from their teammate for Smash.

Continuing from before, KOS-MOS could borrow moves from other Bandai Namco franchise like Tekken or SoulCalibur. In Xenosaga, she isn't shown to be a grappler, so I felt like she could incorporate these moves like the Neck Breaker, Jumping Powerbomb, or Broken Toy, etc into her throwing arsenal. Something like how Bayonetta does Tetsuzanko for her forward throw.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
A character that rides around on an animal.
Examples would be the units with horses and wyverns from Fire Emblem, even Lute with Ratha from Monster Hunter Stories.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
It's funny how none of these obscure characters are actually first-party. It's still Smash Bros you weirdos. :p

I'd like to see Aisya from Archaic Sealed Heat, Nintendouji from... Nintendouji, and Spotto from, uh, Spotto.

I mean that last one doesn't even have a spirit.

And I'd also enjoy seeing Dillon and Sukapon. Who are obscure in their own right, but not quite to the same extent.
ABOUT ****ING TIME SOMEONE BROUGHT UP THE REAL CHAD FIRST-PARTY

SPOTTO GANG WHERE MY HOMIES AT

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
A character who can place teleport points on the stage and use them later as recovery. I mean, instead of the usual recovery move as B+up, that character teleports to the point that was previously placed (if not placed, it's the spawn point).

Basically any character who features checkpoints in their original game would be ok for this (even platformer characters such as Mario and Sonic) but it would be more interesting if the teleport gimmick is part of the set of canon abilities of the character instead, not just a gameplay thing. Such as a Diablo character who can place town portals by using those scrolls (just an example, maybe there are better ones but I can't think of any right now).

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
A character who can place teleport points on the stage and use them later as recovery. I mean, instead of the usual recovery move as B+up, that character teleports to the point that was previously placed (if not placed, it's the spawn point).

Basically any character who features checkpoints in their original game would be ok for this (even platformer characters such as Mario and Sonic) but it would be more interesting if the teleport gimmick is part of the set of canon abilities of the character instead, not just a gameplay thing. Such as a Diablo character who can place town portals by using those scrolls (just an example, maybe there are better ones but I can't think of any right now).
Funnily enough, that's pretty much how Orcane's up b works in Rivals of Aether.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Funnily enough, that's pretty much how Orcane's up b works in Rivals of Aether.
Oh nice, I didn't know... I didn't play Rivals of Aether (yet at least).

I've got this idea when many years ago I was planning to make my own Smash fangame (a big failure of a project), and I wanted to give this move to Marisa Kirisame (because the fangame was about games that I played plus a few original characters, it was not intended to be a proper Smash game and it was also slighty different in mechanics, less fighting game and more like the battle mode of Super Mario Bros 3). Well, I added Marisa to the roster because at the time I was playing the doujin game "Super Marisa World", I've never been much into Touhou, just the Marisa platformers, I had a lot of fun with those. Marisa was going to drop those magical circles that were used as checkpoints in "Super Marisa World" and use them as teleport points.

D

Deleted member

So KOS-MOS is the character of the day today huh? Haven't seen her be the talk of the town in a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom