• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
So, on the topic of stance change characters? What other mechanics/gimmicks do you guys think would be cool to see added to Smash? I always thought any rhythm game character should have some sort of rhythm minigame incorporated into their moveset.
I had an idea for a Bowser Jr. esque character who's up special would launch them out of their vehicle, but the vehicle wouldn't disappear and you wouldn't be automatically put back in the vehicle when you land, meaning you get a different moveset, that would be very weak meaning you would have to try to get back to the vehicle so you can stand a chance.

not too many characters this would work for but I think it could work well for eggman

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, on the topic of stance change characters? What other mechanics/gimmicks do you guys think would be cool to see added to Smash? I always thought any rhythm game character should have some sort of rhythm minigame incorporated into their moveset.
Overdrive for Elma

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A character that rides around on an animal.
Examples would be the units with horses and wyverns from Fire Emblem, even Lute with Ratha from Monster Hunter Stories.
I always thought you could utilize Dixie Kong for something like this, with some of her specials involving being carried by Squaks/riding Rambi for long enough would eventually produce a "No Animal" sign:

NoAnimalSign-art.png

which would make the animal buddy disappear but also create a strong TNT barrel which can be thrown at foes for a lot of damage. Basically a very time contextual mechanic which is dependent on getting positioning right so Dixie's not too vulnerable after losing the buddy and not letting an opponent get the barrel first.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'd like to see someone like Dissidia's Cecil or Star Allies Rick/Kine/Coo, in which their transformations are contextual to where they are on the stage or mapped to automatically transform the same time that they use certain attacks.
Example, a Majora's Mask Link in which Neutral B attacks turns him Hylian, Up B is a recovery that turns him into a Deku, Side B is a projectile that turns him Zora, and Down B is a Rollout that turns him Goron.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Regarding riding animals, well it's not really animals, but in Kirby Star Allies, both Adeleine and Susie can ride respectively the summoned bosses or the robot armor. Also once I've seen a fan moveset for Gooey where he would ride the animals from Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3 when performing most of the moves in his moveset (one different animal for each different move).

But Midna would probably be the best choice for a character whose main gimmick consists in riding an animal.

I had an idea for a Bowser Jr. esque character who's up special would launch them out of their vehicle, but the vehicle wouldn't disappear and you wouldn't be automatically put back in the vehicle when you land, meaning you get a different moveset, that would be very weak meaning you would have to try to get back to the vehicle so you can stand a chance.

not too many characters this would work for but I think it could work well for eggman
Blaster Master would be a perfect fit for this; it's basically what the game is about.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel the Animal Buddy Crate should have been an item.

Rambi, Expresso, Rattly, and Squitter being the four choices letting players ride them, however, if they're hurt by opponents you lose them as they run off the stage, you can get them back by jumping on them before they run off the stage.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I feel the Animal Buddy Crate should have been an item.

Rambi, Expresso, Rattly, and Squitter being the four choices letting players ride them, however, if they're hurt by opponents you lose them as they run off the stage, you can get them back by jumping on them before they run off the stage.
That would've been too perfect.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Mmmm...I'll just answer this with characters I think people often underrate the chances of, but still are within the realm of possibility

1. Tekken Character (it's Sakurai, he could definitely find a way to incorporate a 3d movement mechanic if he wanted)
2. Master Chief (1 character per company rule is dumb)
3. Dark Souls character (The game is huge worldwide and pretty much spawned its own genre)

On the other hand, the characters I feel are often the most overrated in terms of chances are...

1. Crash Bandicoot (Still a decently likely character, I just feel people overrated his chances)
2. Elma (Sorry Rie)
3. Reimu (I love her but I'm just not agreeing with this one)
I'm going to count out Tekken due to when Heihachi's costume returned, and the 1 per company makes some sense logically, it's not a rule, there's nothing stopping them it's more of a 'why would they?' I'm with you on the others though, especially Crash.
That's kind of what annoys me about Smash, there are no rules. A rule stops someone from doing something, but the people who theoretically made these 'rules' are also the people picking the characters. Even if they want to add a non video game character (the one 'rule' most people consider to be a thing) there is absolutely nothing stopping them (it's probably less of a legal flustercluck than Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest anyway).

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Nobody sees Kratos as the 'Mascot' of Sony at all. They know he's heavily associated with Playstation, but there's nobody who views him as the actual mascot.
I wouldn't quite call Kratos a mascot, but he is probably the character that fits the term best for Sony/PlayStation in this current era? If not Kratos, then who is the Sony mascot? Other than saying "nobody is" I bet you couldn't come up with a more fitting answer?

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't quite call Kratos a mascot, but he is probably the character that fits the term best for Sony/PlayStation in this current era? If not Kratos, then who is the Sony mascot? Other than saying "nobody is" I bet you couldn't come up with a more fitting answer?
Sackboy or Toro. In Japan, pretty sure Toro is actually the official mascot.

Paraster

Smash Lord
My #1 pick, Quote, has a mechanic gift-wrapped: his experience bar.

In Cave Story, killed enemies drop energy crystals that fill the experience bar for your currently-equipped weapon. When you get enough energy, the weapon levels up, becoming more powerful and often changing in some other area (such as range also increasing, the Bubbline behaving much different across its levels, the Missile Launcher firing three missiles at Lv. 3, and the Nemesis actually getting weaker as it levels up).
The highest level you can go to is 3, though you can usually fill the bar again after hitting 3 to make a buffer...since getting hit makes you lose experience, and potentially even level down.

This would be fairly simple to translate into Smash: whenever Quote hits an opponent, his experience bar (one for all his weapons, not multiple individual bars) fills, and he can level up to increase his weapons' effectiveness; maybe he could even get an additional boost from landing KOs. Getting hit or KO'd lowers his experience. (I've seen someone suggest that you could bring in the energy crystals and make Quote play Coin Smash all the time, but I think that may not fit a regular match that well.)

I don't think Quote needs this mechanic, but it would be fun to play with, especially depending on which weapons are used in his moveset.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Example, a Majora's Mask Link in which Neutral B attacks turns him Hylian, Up B is a recovery that turns him into a Deku, Side B is a projectile that turns him Zora, and Down B is a Rollout that turns him Goron.
For the Neutral B, I was thinking to have him keep the Fire Bow because he’s still Hylian when he uses it and it’s not tied down to a specific mask. For the Side B, I was thinking of having it be a Zora variation of the Boomerang attack.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Sackboy or Toro. In Japan, pretty sure Toro is actually the official mascot.
I literally had to google those two characters to find out who they are. Pretty sure I'm not the only one in this thread who'd need to search what game they're from(the reverse isn't true for Kratos) which is why I disagree with calling them the a mascot. And while Little Big World is popular enough, Doko Demo Issyo, was a failure in the west. Having a regional mascot really isn't a mascot for the brand at all.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Something like the lost vikings would be cool but impractical.
The viking boys.png

You have three characters, they're all on the stage at once and you can only control one character at a time. Only one character jumps, another one only attacks and only the last one can shield. Have fun with that.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
My #1 pick, Quote, has a mechanic gift-wrapped: his experience bar.

In Cave Story, killed enemies drop energy crystals that fill the experience bar for your currently-equipped weapon. When you get enough energy, the weapon levels up, becoming more powerful and often changing in some other area (such as range also increasing, the Bubbline behaving much different across its levels, the Missile Launcher firing three missiles at Lv. 3, and the Nemesis actually getting weaker as it levels up).
The highest level you can go to is 3, though you can usually fill the bar again after hitting 3 to make a buffer...since getting hit makes you lose experience, and potentially even level down.

This would be fairly simple to translate into Smash: whenever Quote hits an opponent, his experience bar (one for all his weapons, not multiple individual bars) fills, and he can level up to increase his weapons' effectiveness; maybe he could even get an additional boost from landing KOs. Getting hit or KO'd lowers his experience. (I've seen someone suggest that you could bring in the energy crystals and make Quote play Coin Smash all the time, but I think that may not fit a regular match that well.)

I don't think Quote needs this mechanic, but it would be fun to play with, especially depending on which weapons are used in his moveset.
Quote’s experience bar would be an interesting mechanic, and I wonder how they’d balance it if they decided to put it in. Most if not all of the power-up mechanics so far are all comeback mechanics, where you get power after taking damage or being behind on stocks. This would be the opposite of that, though. It’d be a positive feedback loop, where dealing damage makes it easier to deal more damage. I’d imagine once Quote gets going, it’d be really hard to stop him, but if you can knock the experience out of him, it’d be hard for him to get it back.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I personally think Sackboy and Kratos are pretty much the joint mascots for the Playstation
I can see that honestly. But if they're picking a rep for Smash, I don't think there is any they chose Sackboy over Kratos.

Well for Zagreus. I thought it would be cool if they randomized some of his properties for each stock(representing the random boons you get on each run). His cast(projectile), dash(burst movement), call(area of effect damage) properties of some of his attacks all change pretty considerably depending on boon he has attached to him. Some of his passive attributes could change as well, like getting death defiance(returning to the stage with limited health after dieing)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I can see that honestly. But if they're picking a rep for Smash, I don't think there is any they chose Sackboy over Kratos.

Well for Zagreus. I thought it would be cool if they randomized some of his properties for each stock(representing the random boons you get on each run). His cast(projectile), dash(burst movement), call(area of effect damage) properties of some of his attacks all change pretty considerably depending on boon he has attached to him. Some of his passive attributes could change as well, like getting death defiance(returning to the stage with limited health after dieing)
Sackboy has a major Copyright Issue Music Wise so Sackboy would ABSOLUTELY not be Chosen.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wouldn't really call Toro Sony's mascot. Maybe it was true in the ps1 era of Japan, but it's not really true today. It would be the same thing as if someone would call Alex Kidd Sega's mascot today. Those characters peak are finished since a super long time. Toro's last game was a small ios games, and aside from that his only recent appearances is in a free to play ps vita game and in playstation all stars in 2012.

I agree that Astro bot have the potential to become Sony's mascot, but I think it's a bit soon to call it like that. But my opinion is that Sony don't have one mascot, but multiple characters are getting bigger push and those are Kratos, Sackboy, Astro bot, Nathan Drake, Aloy and Ratchet. Like Astro bot, Aloy is a bit young, but she's heavily used in ps5 marketing so I would consider her a mascot in some way.

Ivander

Smash Legend
A simple one could be Chosen Undead. Specifically, the mechanic that allows the Chosen Undead fight with either a Sword and Shield or put away the Shield and hold the Sword two-handed. The Sword & Shield can be a slower, but very defensive stance while the Two-handed Sword is a faster, but alot less defensive stance.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Something I was hoping to see in Joker was a 'Wild Card' moveset based on his ability to switch between Personas and the like. As opposed to having Arsene act as a Devil Trigger, you could have a number of Personas from across the series (such as obviously Arsene but also Izanagi, Orpheus, Vulcanus and maybe even Jack Frost and Pyro Jack, which would have different special moves based on which is selected (so, for instance, Izanagi's moves are more based on lightning and the like whereas Vulcanus' moves are more fire based.) Although this would have added a lot to the development, I feel like it could have been a pretty cool addition!

Otherwise, if they were just keeping with Arsene, I'd love to have seen something similar to the Stand system in JJBA - Heritage for the Future, where Joker would have his own basic moveset but then be able to summon Arsene for extra range - but too much damage to Arsene 'crashes' him, making him unavailable for a short period. Not sure how it would have really worked, maybe summoning Arsene grants access to more magical abilities such as his Eiha and the like whereas base Joker is more simply based on his normal, light nature with a shortish range due to his weapon of choice.

Then again, I'm not sure exactly how or if these would have worked very well, and I'm pretty happy with how he works now anyways!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You know, Monolith could ask for Melia like how Yabuki asked for Min-Min. 👀
In all seriousness I think people sleep on the possibility of an additional Xenoblade 1 character. Melia and Miss Spoiler would be solid picks in their own right, and the XB1 remake is currently the most recent Xenoblade title to boot. In general I believe a Xenoblade character remains the most likely first party choice, and there are like four separate options that would all be decently justified.

Like, I personally can't find the logic in skipping XB2 for another XB1 character (who would hopefully bring music from throughout the series anyway), but sometimes thinking about the illogical and unexpected is exactly what brings us closer to the truth, lmao. Worth acknowledging that we didn't get any new Xenoblade 1 music in base game (weird) and we're still missing proper arrangements.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Oh - and one I forgot! I'd love to see a fighter in a format similar to, say, the FF1 party (Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior, Thief) which would each have their own movesets and specialities and the like, as well as each having their own percentage (attacks mostly increasing the active fighter whilst the rest do increase a little but less due to being inactive.) It would rely on more of an RPG dynamic, a bit like a mix of Hero and Pokemon Trainer - so for instance, whilst the White Mage is reeeally not well suited to combat, it might be useful to heal teammates or even the 'party' as a whole, whilst the Black Mage has a lot of ranged attacks and struggles up close and the like.

Blaster Master would be a perfect fit for this; it's basically what the game is about.
Blaster Master is a personal fav of mine anyways - and actually, I feel like it would be really interesting to see how it could work! Maybe hopping out of Sophia would work a little like Steve's crafting table, putting it a little behind the fighters and giving a different, weaker but more agile moveset option?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I just realized that I misread and the new gimmick should have been about stance change, teleporting is not a stance change.

When she was still relevant, I kinda supported Meloetta a bit, I thought she could change from sing to dance and switch between melee fight and ranged magic fight.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Nightmare. Soup Calibur prides itself on stance swapping. It’d be the perfect gimmick.

Edit: Just realized I spelled it as Soup Calibur.
...I’m not changing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom