• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
A character who can place teleport points on the stage and use them later as recovery. I mean, instead of the usual recovery move as B+up, that character teleports to the point that was previously placed (if not placed, it's the spawn point).

Basically any character who features checkpoints in their original game would be ok for this (even platformer characters such as Mario and Sonic) but it would be more interesting if the teleport gimmick is part of the set of canon abilities of the character instead, not just a gameplay thing. Such as a Diablo character who can place town portals by using those scrolls (just an example, maybe there are better ones but I can't think of any right now).
I feel like Chell would work really well here - though it would be kinda difficult to get the physics in, I can picture Chell's moveset as mostly being things like pointing Turrets at people, tossing Companion Cubes and maybe even using the blue and orange gels seen in Portal 2 as well as maybe using her Portal Gun as a makeshift Gravity Gun for grabs and throws :D

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, give me an X character, even ****ing BOZE LOWES who is my least favorite playable character and then we’ll talk still prefer Elma most obvi

there is NO X MUSIC whatsoever in base, and I just can’t help but feel X is next in line for the Wii U ports thing after TMS Encore, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and SM3DW + Bowser’s Fury

this has been your daily Shameless Elma/XCX Stanning

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Melia and Miss Spoiler would be solid picks in their own right, and the XB1 remake is currently the most recent Xenoblade title to boot.
Pretty much all of them have something interesting to bring:
  1. Shulk obviously has his Monado Arts.
  2. Reyn has a taunt, which could be interesting, as it could force the FGC gimmick of always facing the opponent at any time.
  3. Sharla...Well she has a gun.
  4. Dunban would be fairly standard too...Erm. Maybe don't add him. I shudder to think of how annoying a swordfighter with Wario Waft/K.O. Punch would be.
  5. Rikki would be able to steal stat buffs. So, Monado Arts, but they're harder to get and random in exchange for having no cooldowns.
  6. Melia has her elemental setup stuffs.
  7. Seven's gimmick is equipment based, so I'm not really sure how they'd handle it.
EDIT: Actually, some of these Talent Arts would probably be Final Smashes now that I think about it. Blossom Dance especially.

Yeah, give me an X character, even ****ing BOZE LOWES who is my least favorite playable character and then we’ll talk still prefer Elma most obvi
Oh HECK NO! Mr. Xenophobe is NOT a suitable option from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Besides, he's literally just worse Lao.

I would accept literally anyone else.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Nightmare. Soup Calibur prides itself on stance swapping. It’d be the perfect gimmick.
I think he was asking about mechanics other than stance switching. If we're talking about more stances then DoomGuy all the way. Switch between guns, and have those guns also switch the mod packs. Most awesome char.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Blaster Master is a personal fav of mine anyways - and actually, I feel like it would be really interesting to see how it could work! Maybe hopping out of Sophia would work a little like Steve's crafting table, putting it a little behind the fighters and giving a different, weaker but more agile moveset option?
Ooh, I'm a big Blaster Master fan too!
Jason and Sophia being a two-in-one fighter is pretty much a must. It's the game's core mechanic after all. And I could see Jason play as more of a Mega-man/Snake type character and being a fair lightweight.
And I could see Sophia being a bit of a R.O.B x Samus kind of fighter, and ofcourse more of a heavyweight.
I'd love it to pieces!
Also having Jason Frudnick and Sophia in could explain why the landmasters are gone :4pacman:
Seriously though, it's always one of the first NES games we get on a new generation console... I find it odd it didn't even get a single spirit honestly. I'd gladly take anything at this point.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In all seriousness I think people sleep on the possibility of an additional Xenoblade 1 character. Melia and Miss Spoiler would be solid picks in their own right, and the XB1 remake is currently the most recent Xenoblade title to boot. In general I believe a Xenoblade character remains the most likely first party choice, and there are like four separate options that would all be decently justified.

Like, I personally can't find the logic in skipping XB2 for another XB1 character (who would hopefully bring music from throughout the series anyway), but sometimes thinking about the illogical and unexpected is exactly what brings us closer to the truth, lmao. Worth acknowledging that we didn't get any new Xenoblade 1 music in base game (weird) and we're still missing proper arrangements.
What would a new XB1 rep challenger pack even entail?

Like Sephiroth was pretty much necessarily, far more so than any other character from a pre-existing series or game, because he literally has all of Final Fantasy's additional representation (outside of characters/stages) held back with him: all the spirits of the main characters, music with actual remixes and Mii outfits. Xenoblade 1 on the other hand already has all of that, outside of I guess remixes. It also has an assist trophy. It just seems overkill to me.

They already gave Xenoblade HD the nod with a screenshot on the JP Smash Twitter, I believe, so I think this is it for XB1 content.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty much all of them have something interesting to bring:
  1. Shulk obviously has his Monado Arts.
  2. Reyn has a taunt, which could be interesting, as it could force the FGC gimmick of always facing the opponent at any time.
  3. Sharla...Well she has a gun.
  4. Dunban would be fairly standard too...Erm. Maybe don't add him. I shudder to think of how annoying a swordfighter with Wario Waft/K.O. Punch would be.
  5. Rikki would be able to steal stat buffs. So, Monado Arts, but they're harder to get and random in exchange for having no cooldowns.
  6. Melia has her elemental setup stuffs.
  7. Seven's gimmick is equipment based, so I'm not really sure how they'd handle it.

Oh HECK NO! Mr. Xenophobe is NOT a suitable option from Xenoblade Chronicles X. Besides, he's literally just worse Lao.

I would accept literally anyone else.
Even Tatsu? :ultpacman:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Ooh, I'm a big Blaster Master fan too!
Jason and Sophia being a two-in-one fighter is pretty much a must. It's the game's core mechanic after all. And I could see Jason play as more of a Mega-man/Snake type character and being a fair lightweight.
And I could see Sophia being a bit of a R.O.B x Samus kind of fighter, and of course more of a heavyweight.
I'd love it to pieces!
Also having Jason Frudnick and Sophia in could explain why the Landmasters are gone :4pacman:
Seriously though, it's always one of the first NES games we get on a new generation console... I find it odd it didn't even get a single spirit honestly. I'd gladly take anything at this point.
Same here! I think that, as a whole, Blaster Master is really overlooked in terms of Smash - I do see why, in honesty, but I feel like that style would work really well! I just hope they use either the NES or the Zero designs, as opposed to the PS2 one.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
I'd say (from my own admittedly limited experience with the series) mostly content from other games as well as things missing from 1 - so for instance, I'd hope they'd add music from the epilogue of the Definitive Edition, X and 2. Though I do think it's more likely to see someone from another game, I'd personally not completely put a XC1 character off the table.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that if any Xenoblade game past the original is getting a character they would have to change the symbol to something else, as the Monado only really had a role in the first game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think that if any Xenoblade game past the original is getting a character they would have to change the symbol to something else, as the Monado only really had a role in the first game.
Not necessarily? Lin from X has Monado hairpins and the Nopon of Mira are familiar with the legend of the Monado

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even Tatsu? :ultpacman:
It would at least fix his main problem of being "Rikki, but he does frick all so he's not even remotely endearing".

He'd still have to work on the fact that he's a running gag character that was funny a grand total of 1 time (not the first time, oddly enough), but it's progress at least.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think he was asking about mechanics other than stance switching. If we're talking about more stances then DoomGuy all the way. Switch between guns, and have those guns also switch the mod packs. Most awesome char.
Ah, the wording confused me.
As for non stance swapping gimmicks. I think a less random take on Phoenix Wrights evidence mechanic from MVC 3 would be a great Smash moveset.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I dunno, it's not like the Falchion has a role in Roy/Ike/Corrin/Byleth's games, and yet they all use it as their emblem in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Also Shulk is in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so there's that as well.
If you wanna get meta, XC2 has Klaus’s good half as the Architect. His bad half became Zanza in XC1

It’s also hinted Alvis is possibly Ontos, the third Aegis, and his weapon is the Monado. He’s just letting Shulk keep it

It would at least fix his main problem of being "Rikki, but he does frick all so he's not even remotely endearing".

He'd still have to work on the fact that he's a running gag character that was funny a grand total of 1 time (not the first time, oddly enough), but it's progress at least.
So basically

Boze: I can excuse racism but I draw the line at being a useless screwup.
Tatsu: BALD MAN EXCUSE RACISM?!

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Like Sephiroth was pretty much necessarily, far more so than any other character from a pre-existing series or game, because he literally has all of Final Fantasy's additional representation (outside of characters/stages) held back with him: all the spirits of the main characters, music with actual remixes and Mii outfits. Xenoblade 1 on the other hand already has all of that, outside of I guess remixes. It also has an assist trophy. It just seems overkill to me.

They already gave Xenoblade HD the nod with a screenshot on the JP Smash Twitter, I believe, so I think this is it for XB1 content.
Future Connected spirits, Future Connected music, other music from Definitive Edition (Give me A Tragic Decision pls) and maybe music from the rest of the franchise. In terms of stages, uh, Eryth Sea or Bionis Shoulder?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Future Connected spirits, Future Connected music, other music from Definitive Edition and maybe music from the rest of the franchise. In terms of stages, uh, Eryth Sea or Bionis Shoulder?
How about a Mechonis stage?

D

Deleted member

So, on the topic of stance change characters? What other mechanics/gimmicks do you guys think would be cool to see added to Smash? I always thought any rhythm game character should have some sort of rhythm minigame incorporated into their moveset.
I've always wanted a character that has slight changes to its moveset depending on the alt you pick but yknow that sounds way too hard to code.

Alternatively I could see a evolution gimmick where a character changes mid battle being somewhat easy to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

It doesn't need a new one, but there are more than enough characters and songs that could be included in a hypothetical pack. Here's a couple of hypothetical passes I did a while ago showing this.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I know its probably going to be characters i dont care about. But for some reason i am just super anxious to know who is left as dlc.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Future Connected spirits, Future Connected music, other music from Definitive Edition (Give me A Tragic Decision pls) and maybe music from the rest of the franchise. In terms of stages, uh, Eryth Sea or Bionis Shoulder?
Wouldn't the Future Connected spirits essentially amount to spirits of characters already in the base game?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

there is NO X MUSIC whatsoever in base, and I just can’t help but feel X is next in line for the Wii U ports thing after TMS Encore, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and SM3DW + Bowser’s Fury

this has been your daily Shameless Elma/XCX Stanning
Think I've said this before, but the lack of X music in the base game is probably a combination of Nintendo not needing to and Nintendo not caring enough to go the extra mile. It's been stated before that Nintendo only deals with the owners of the game, which is why we have such small Sonic and Final Fantasy tracklists (Had in the latter's case, though even then it's rather lacking in comparison), and didn't have any songs from the original Minecraft. They have gone back on this in some cases, like with Dragon Quest (With shoddy MIDIs, granted) and later adding more Final Fantasy tracks, but those directly accompanied content from the games they're from. Sure, we did get XCX tracks in XC2, but Elma direftly showed up there. In Smash, the only thing she has is a Spirit, so there's much less incentive for Nintendo to actually get the rights for Sawano's tracks.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wouldn't the Future Connected spirits essentially amount to spirits of characters already in the base game?
It’s pretty much like the 5 years later versions of the house leader Spirits.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else notice more frame drops in the future connected portion of that game? Specifically the final boss?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not necessarily FC, since that introduces a couple new characters (Though I don't think there's enough to warrant a full pack). Though, just using standard DE Spirits would feel kinda redundant, since we already have the main Xeno cast.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
My gut tells me that this dlc fighters pass could end one of two ways (Not in any particular release order).

Option 1
Hayabusa
Crash
Lloyd or Adol

Option 2
Hayabusa
Chun Li
Lloyd or Adol

personally, i think option 1 is more likely. but i
could be completely wrong about both of the options. Just speculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom