• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I always thought Little Big Planet was their flagship platformer
It's kind of a toss up between the 2, But Ratchet & Clank has seniority over LBP and while LBP is more of a creative content platformer where as Ratchet & Clank feels somewhat more like your traditional platforming franchise, Hell it was from the same creators of Spyro (Insomniac Games)

I probably would still give Ratchet & Clank the edge, But Sackboy is still one of Sony's biggest Playstation mascots and both of them just fit different types of roles in the platforming genre.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
lol Imagine if Ellie got into Smash
The Elephant? I'd be down. Have Parry the Parallel Bird be part of her moveset and have a Squirt's Showdown stage where Squirt's eyeballs come out of the waterfall in the background and he starts squirting water at the fighters.

Or a Lake Orangatanga stage with the Booty Bird dropping items upon being hit. That works too.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How come Kratos is the one that's usually mentioned when talking about Sony, and not Ratchet & Clank?
Being a "cereal mascot", you'd think they'd fit easily in Smash. They even have a game coming out soon.
As of current. Kratos is seen as the mascot of Sony, some argues however that'd be Sackboy.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Ironically, that's part of the reason why I don't like Sony. I just cannot get into realistic games. I don't know if it's the way they look or play or what, but they just don't click with me.

Though that's just ONE reason why I don't like Sony...
While "Cereal Mascot" platformers are my favorite (Mario, DK, Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot) and I love the colorful world of creatures in "Pokemon".

I'm actually a fan of some of Sony's 1st party mature and realistic games mainly from "Naughty Dog", I was a big fan of "The Last of Us" (Still have to play part 2) and I really want to check out the "Uncharted" series out to sometime in the future because their characters, worlds and story's I find interesting and look cool too.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I always thought Little Big Planet was their flagship platformer
LBP seemingly went on life support after the past couple games. It having a new spin off with a new developer seems lucky but could have gone ahead to have some family games for the PS5 at launch. It but hasn't received much promotion beyond its announcement unfortunately. Ratchet and Clank, however, has been getting a bigger push thanks to being one of the first actual PS5 exclusives and as a way to showcase the consoles abilities. The last game also did exceptionally well, iirc breaking sales records for the series. It's also been used as a flagship title to push things like the PSP and PS Now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I can't see that happening (the Mii Costume), we rarely get a costume from SE outside their own character.
Unless

we get a third pass by some miracle.

and in this essay I shall explain why the Square rep in pass 3 will be Neku Sakuraba from the cult classic DS game The World Ends With You...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
One word of recommendation.

Don't.

Because you'll regret it.
Nah... I don't give a ****, Still plan on playing it, I know when it leaked last year everyone was divisive about it, But luckily I haven't been spoiled by the story yet.

I was big fan of the 1st game and Naughty Dog always puts out "Game of the Year" quality work, I've seen gameplay of the demo back when they unveiled and that's good enough for me, Is there a chance I may not like it for it's story? Yes, But it's not like it's a buggy mess or broken game, It's still a high quality game and I still plan on playing it sometime in the near future.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Regarding all the Playstation whatever... I'm the guy who saw Spyro as "The Playstation guy" and he was the sole reason I even wanted a Playstation... Spyro's... NOT "The Playstation guy", but that's how I always saw him what with the absolutely godlike Spyro PS1 trilogy. Honestly didn't even care what a Playstation even was until I saw those games. If Spyro got into Smash... SOMEHOW... I'd see him as "The Playstation rep"... even though I full well know he ISN'T, but whatever. Childhood memories and perception and all that.

Ironically, that's part of the reason why I don't like Sony. I just cannot get into realistic games. I don't know if it's the way they look or play or what, but they just don't click with me.

Though that's just ONE reason why I don't like Sony...
That's largely how it is with me too. I think with ME... there's only so much a "realistic guy with gun" can do.

SPYRO made me even care about Playstation in the first place, then you had like Thousand Arms and all the Square stuff, etc. Misadventures of Tron Bonne, there was stuff to PLAY on that thing.

With modern Sony... it's basically Spider-man or nothing. My Playstation is basically home to 3rd party stuff I can't get on Nintendo/aren't as good or whatever. Dead or Alive, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Ball, etc. For me it's "The third party machine that plays Netflix sometimes"

Pardon me if I'm coming across as ignorant, because I'll admit I'm not into the whole leaking scene, but... with a list of 40 characters are you not like statistically more likely to predict with a higher level of accuracy than if you just fill the slots remaining? I'm not gonna deny that it's interesting that so many did line up, but that's just the inner cynic in me. Again, I'm not exactly in on the leaking scene but that's just my observation.
I don't exactly have a horse in this race. If it's right then "hey lookee here, some friends CAN go abracadabra, let it rip, and make the sucker disappear!"

If it's wrong, well then someone was wrong on the internet. The horror.

I mean... look at my profile pic: I'm a weird evil alien cat thing that suffered brain damage due to being thrown into a hive of space bees. Then I was part of a variety show WITH the guy that threw me in the hive and an evil praying mantis... then a delightful one-off musical and several music albums and talk show appearances later and then I'm part of a late night raunchy comedy where my dad is REALLY SMALL and I'm still friends with the evil praying mantis who took my stuffed lobster named Hippo.

I don't exactly have a high stake in being right about things.

But I DO.... like things

SNEKeater

Smash Master
How come Kratos is the one that's usually mentioned when talking about Sony, and not Ratchet & Clank?
Being a "cereal mascot", you'd think they'd fit easily in Smash. They even have a game coming out soon.
I mean, God of War has also a new game coming out soon. Though soon might mean 2022.

GOW is just bigger and more popular. And this is coming from someone who grew up playing Ratchet & Clank and never touched GOW at that point. About fitting or not, I get that Ratchet is more cartoony and therefore, more "Nintendo" for some people, but Kratos, or any 'realistic' character for that matter, would also fit in Smash. I mean we have realistic human people in the game such as the Belmonts, Snake or the FGC characters. Kratos actually looks more fantasy-like in comparison to them.

Personally I don't think that realism is really a problem. Game like Horizon zero dawn, Death stranding, God of war all have realistic graphics, but they all have some different themes and I think they're all fun. Personally I think the problem is more in the gameplay, not that the gameplay is bad, but if you're not into linear action adventure semi-open world game, there's really not a lot of stuff remaining. Which is shame because when they do something different, they have really some amazing games (Tearaway unfolded, Concrete genie, Wipeout collection and some smaller games like Entwined or Sound shapes).
Personally I never get this complain about realistic games and vice versa. Yeah most of AAA games or popular games usually have a realistic approach in terms of visuals, but it's not like other kind of proposals are nowhere to be seen. That was kinda true to a degree during the PS3-360 era where shooter games gained a lot of focus and most japanese series or developers were having some troubles. But nowadays? Maybe colourful games aren't the most popular thing but they're still popular and you can find a lot of different ideas, partly thanks to the recognition indie games have been receiving in the last years.

Not to say, the best thing is to have a good variety. I wouldn't like all videogames to be platformers with cute/funny characters or over the top anime games. Luckily there's a good balance these days.

Also, as you have said, there are series such as God of War, Resident Evil or Horizon that can be very stylized or have unique settings. So it's not like you can't have super cool detailed human characters with high quality acting or a big budget behind in a fantasy/sci-fi/whatever setting. Even then sometimes you find series like Uncharted, which would probably be considered as a very realistic franchise, having some incredibly goofy and random **** in the games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, God of War has also a new game coming out soon. Though soon might mean 2022.
Was there a year and date change? Because I was sure it was said to be coming out this year in 2021.
Unless

we get a third pass by some miracle.

and in this essay I shall explain why the Square rep in pass 3 will be Neku Sakuraba from the cult classic DS game The World Ends With You...
Which ain't gonna happen. This is it after this.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nah... I don't give a ****, Still plan on playing it, I know when it leaked last year everyone was divisive about it, But luckily I haven't been spoiled by the story yet.

I was big fan of the 1st game and Naughty Dog always puts out "Game of the Year" quality work, I've seen gameplay of the demo back when they unveiled and that's good enough for me, Is there a chance I may not like it for it's story? Yes, But it's not like it's a buggy mess or broken game, It's still a high quality game and I still plan on playing it sometime in the near future.
Surprised but glad to see someone who doesn't easily fall into the hate/love trend without playing a game.

If you want another advice, play it. It's good. Gameplay wise it's abysmally better than the first one.

Was there a year and date change? Because I was sure it was said to be coming out this year in 2021.
It was announced last summer with a 2021 release date but even back then I really doubted it would come out this year. 2022 seems more likely to me, more with the pandemic and all.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
GOW is just bigger and more popular. And this is coming from someone who grew up playing Ratchet & Clank and never touched GOW at that point. About fitting or not, I get that Ratchet is more cartoony and therefore, more "Nintendo" for some people, but Kratos, or any 'realistic' character for that matter, would also fit in Smash. I mean we have realistic human people in the game such as the Belmonts, Snake or the FGC characters. Kratos actually looks more fantasy-like in comparison to them.
I mean we got a space bounty hunter fighting an elf boy with a magical sword who fights a cartoon dinosaur that fights a sexy hair witch etc.

Everyone can fit into Smash regardless but I might think that Kratos appearance mostly pulled from his old games which is less photorealistic. Smash usually do that for character.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
We'd more likely be seeing Kat get into Smash before we would ever see Dart tbh and even then she's unlikely.
i never once spoke of likelihood

I just think Dart would be cool, even full well knowing that he's an incredibly unlikely character among a pool of already incredibly unlikely characters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It was announced last summer with a 2021 release date but even back then I really doubted it would come out this year. 2022 seems more likely to me, more with the pandemic and all.
Too soon to say you don't think? Even then you have no confirmation of this actually happening.

With vaccines finally rolling in, things are starting to look optimistic as predictions state things could get back to "normal" by Fall this year though I'm leaning more to early next year if anything.

Plenty of games also got released last year. Last of Us II Shudders, Maneater, Paper Mario: The Origami King, etc. to name a few.

What suddenly makes God of War 5 an exceptional case?

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Speaking of unlikely characters, who's your most obscure personal want?
Jiminy Christmas, if we talkin old PS1 stuff, they should stop being cowards and add Meiss Triumph into Smash.
smaller mice.png

Look how happy he is! Probably because his name is pronounced the same as the word "mice". That makes me smile and giggle too.

Of course, no Ayumi Hamasaki theme song, no deal. You can't talk about Thousand Arms without also discussing that opening theme.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

GOW is just bigger and more popular.
Ratchet and Clank also has a new game coming out tho.

Your second point is probably where the money is. Wouldn't surprise me if the marketing being done for Rift Apart will pale to what will be done for the next God of War. That alone will make Kratos more visible to people not all that familiar with Playstation franchises.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, the short version is that it came from 4chan, specifically a guy claiming to have known a guy at Bandai-Namco who helps with Smash and that said guy had knowledge of a list of potential DLC characters but wasn't sure who was ultimately chosen. A guy named @xenother showed up and basically kinda halfway corroborated it stating that it hit some of the names he'd heard
View attachment 301926
I love that rumor cause so many of my most wanted are on that list.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I know why GoW is popular now, because the general audience of Sony already okay with realistic graphic game, which always sells exponentially high, add that his game already exist since PS2 makes a good nostalgia.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Sony's got a ton of amazing characters, which makes the unlikelihood of their inclusion that much sadder, but if I got to choose one I'd have to go with Parappa. I've got the most history with him, having known about him somehow before I even began playing video games and having grown into absolutely loving rhythm games too. So he's always struck me as a very significant character, and I love him a lot. Parappa is arguably the grandfather of the genre and a character whose popularity has outlived his series by a long way lmao.

There are a lot of fun things to imagine about Parappa in Smash (probably has some sort of RAPPIN COOL mechanic), but I really like the idea of Parappa yelling out exactly what attack he's doing (Kick! Punch!) which... would be annoying for the opponent but silly and fun as hell. Especially if you can rap right along with the song that's playing in the background, it'd be like you can play the game right within Smash. Oh yeah, obviously the music would be a major plus.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Surprised but glad to see someone who doesn't easily fall into the hate/love trend without playing a game.

If you want another advice, play it. It's good. Gameplay wise it's abysmally better than the first one.
I don't play a lot of "Mature" games with a deep story so there's was times when my heart is racing because the game is so visceral and feels like your actually trying to survive at times. It really felt like watching a movie too.

But loved the characters in the game, Joel was my absolute favorite character and was just badass and likable, So while Ellie is a cool too, I was a little bummed to hear that she takes the lead role in the 2nd game while Joel takes a backseat this time around.

But while I don't have my PS4 anymore, I'll definitely give it a go if I do end up getting a Playstation 5.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
if sony won't put their characters in smash then they should make playstation all-stars 2
That definitely deserves go.

Two things it needs is Raven (Gravity Rush) as a character and War of the Monsters representation (Whether Kineticlops as a playable character or featured as a stage, both would be better)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
In case anyone's interested, it comes out February 17th

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
In case anyone's interested, it comes out February 17th

I mean, its a start to fixing SNK and Capcoms complicated relationship. But why’d they have to pick the Neo Geo Pocket game?
I don’t wanna sound ungrateful, but I’m not very grateful for this. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean, its a start to fixing SNK and Capcoms complicated relationship. But why’d they have to pick the Neo Geo Pocket game?
I don’t wanna sound ungrateful, but I’m not very grateful for this. :4pacman:
Well people is mainly asking for Capcom vs SNK 2 but that's up to Capcom, after all they were the ones who made that one, but this one was developed by SNK so as long as Capcom says "fine" SNK can re-release the game.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Well people is mainly asking for Capcom vs SNK 2 but that's up to Capcom, after all they were the ones who made that one, but this one was developed by SNK so as long as Capcom says "fine" SNK can re-release the game.
Wait, Capcom made that game? I thought the whole rift between Capcom and SNK was that SNK made all these games but Capcom took most of the profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom