• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So kind of like this...thing

but hopefully less terrifying.
Le sigh...All-Stars Transformed was a underrated classic.

That said, seeing Nights again reminds me of how Sumo wanted to do a Sega All-Stars Mecha Fighter where the characters fight against each other in Mechas based after their pilots and while fighting, the mechas would even lose parts of their bodies that players could pick up to attack with. Interesting concept.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
For first point:
View attachment 301027
for second point: it’s why I’m hoping we get a sci-fi aesthetic character in this pass, such as KOS-MOS or Elma.
....is that? oh come on.

Think it's just the 90's anime aesthetic (Though Ark of Napishtim was released in 2003). After a certain point, you can tell when the art style starts branching out.
Nothing stacks up to the original Adol, though
View attachment 301047
I see Adol was friends with CV1 Instruction Manual Simon:

Don't you just love Early Installment Weirdness?

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... I did some more math stuffs! Today, I decided to take a look at what possible background color the next fighter might have.
And these are the possible colors I got, minimally extended!

I only say minimally, because technically, there are 27 possible colors mathematically, but I just chose the first three because it'd take too much time today. So maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

If anybody is curious on how I did it, let me know, and I can post a link to the desmos page I used!

Also, do note, please do not take this seriously. This is just math at the end of the day and holds no weight. I just personally thought it'd be fun to do.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So... I did some more math stuffs! Today, I decided to take a look at what possible background color the next fighter might have.

I only say minimally, because technically, there are 27 possible colors mathematically, but I just chose the first three because it'd take too much time today. So maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

If anybody is curious on how I did it, let me know, and I can post a link to the desmos page I used!

Also, do note, please do not take this seriously. This is just math at the end of the day and holds no weight. I just personally thought it'd be fun to do.
on a serious note i don't think we've had a violet bg before

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

I hate the fact that the first thing i though when i saw these Colors was Shrek.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
That said, seeing Nights again reminds me of how Sumo wanted to do a Sega All-Stars Mecha Fighter where the characters fight against each other in Mechas based after their pilots and while fighting, the mechas would even lose parts of their bodies that players could pick up to attack with. Interesting concept.
My personal favorite "yeeted concept for an All-Stars game" is in this article from the old SEGA blogs where Steve Lycett (one of the big cheese of these games' development) briefly mentions a couple of the potential concepts thrown around during their "oh **** we finished working on Superstars Tennis, what do we do now" phase, and one of those was skating.

****ing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater but with SEGA characters. Imagine that.
Le sigh...All-Stars Transformed was a underrated classic.
I have a very hard time deciding on which of the two All-Stars Racing games I prefer, tbh. Not just in a "**** man both games are good" way, but in this really interesting manner where each game's strengths cover the other's weaknesses.

I think Transformed did most stuff better, but honestly I do prefer the first one in a few areas such as the overall roster, the way driving feels, the unlocking system, the vehicle variety and the "old-school arcade racer" aesthetic it has to it.

IMO the main problem with Transformed's roster is that it took out most of the "fun picks" from the first game, and in their place were a lot of secondary characters and weird guests. However, the newcomers they did add from series that weren't covered in the first one were all banger choices. Legit, you could just slap NiGHTS, Gillius, Joe and Vyse in the first game and it'd have had a damn near perfect roster.

.....Christ, I could keep yapping on about the All-Stars games for hours on end lmao

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

If this pulls through then my vote is on Doom Guy taking these colours.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I wonder if they just use the eyedropper tool to make the backgrounds.
I legit wouldn't be surprised lol. Although, weirdly, the background assets aren't even out there. (Or at least from what I can see.) So I had to literally stop each fighter's website page from loading just to get each color. It was an interesting experience.

SKX31

Smash Master
So kind of like this...thing

but hopefully less terrifying.
I feel like I'm in the minority when I'm not that terrified. That's because, well, I've already been exposed to NiGHTS' roller coaster transformation in Journey of Dreams.

I wonder if they just use the eyedropper tool to make the backgrounds.
I legit wouldn't be surprised lol. Although, weirdly, the background assets aren't even out there. (Or at least from what I can see.) So I had to literally stop each fighter's website page from loading just to get each color. It was an interesting experience.
Which wouldn't be out of character for Nintendo at large really. This is a good example:

Edit: I should point out: it's not neccessarily a bad thing, but both cases are evidently pragmatic cost saving measures.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
My personal favorite "yeeted concept for an All-Stars game" is in this article from the old SEGA blogs where Steve Lycett (one of the big cheese of these games' development) briefly mentions a couple of the potential concepts thrown around during their "oh **** we finished working on Superstars Tennis, what do we do now" phase, and one of those was skating.

****ing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater but with SEGA characters. Imagine that.

I have a very hard time deciding on which of the two All-Stars Racing games I prefer, tbh. Not just in a "**** man both games are good" way, but in this really interesting manner where each game's strengths cover the other's weaknesses.

I think Transformed did most stuff better, but honestly I do prefer the first one in a few areas such as the overall roster, the way driving feels, the unlocking system, the vehicle variety and the "old-school arcade racer" aesthetic it has to it.

IMO the main problem with Transformed's roster is that it took out most of the "fun picks" from the first game, and in their place were a lot of secondary characters and weird guests. However, the newcomers they did add from series that weren't covered in the first one were all banger choices. Legit, you could just slap NiGHTS, Gillius, Joe and Vyse in the first game and it'd have had a damn near perfect roster.

.....Christ, I could keep yapping on about the All-Stars games for hours on end lmao
my first ever game was sonic and sega all stars for the dsi - and i agree with the point of roster picks and stuff. like, it was really weird to me some of the characters that were omitted, though some made sense (like big for instance)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I'm curious on the other colors now.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Now that I look closer, it seems that the colors are:
  • Piranha Plant: This one might not use it, as there isn't really any part of it that is sea foam green.
    • Maybe its the leaf color of one of the alts, like the pink one.
  • Joker: Gloves.
  • Hero: Eleven's clothing.
  • Banjo & Kazooie: Kazooie's stomach feathers.
  • Terry: Jeans. EDIT: This one I kind of just assumed, but his jeans aren't acutally that vibrant. Might be his eye color instead.
  • Byleth: Hair (spoiler alt).
  • Min Min: Also hair...Wait, if her hair and her ARMS are both noodles does that mean her arms are made out of hair?
  • Steve: Steve's shirt. EDIT: Looking at it more, I'm not sure that Steve's shirt is this bright. Might be Swedish Alex's eyes instead.
  • Sephiroth: At first I thought this was an exception as well due to the monochromatic color scheme, but it's entirely possible that the color is from where his eyes are in shadow, which explains the green tint.
Byleth (EDIT: and maybe Steve as well) is the odd one out here with an alt color as their background, but it is also from a canonical color scheme for the character, so it doesn't not make sense, which makes me wonder even more if this is the case for Piranha Plant as well or if Piranha Plant's color is truly hand picked.

To me this is interesting because it means that the color pallets are essentially just colors from each character's canonical pallets that look nice when placed behind them (meaning they compliment the overall color scheme without making the character harder to see). Based on that, you might actually be able to predict the next fighter's background color, but you'd have to predict the fighter first. Cue the game where you pick your most wanted's background color.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aren’t Steve/Alex and Terry’s bg colors identical?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Aren’t Steve/Alex and Terry’s bg colors identical?
They are very similar, but I don't think they're the same. It might be the difference between Sky Blue and Light Blue or something like that.

EDIT: I think Steve's is more vibrant and Terry's is more pastel.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Piranha Plant: This one might not use it, as there isn't really any part of it that is sea foam green.
  • Terry: Jeans. EDIT: This one I kind of just assumed, but his jeans aren't acutally that vibrant. Might be his eye color instead.
  • Min Min: Also hair...Wait, if her hair and her ARMS are both noodles does that mean her arms are made out of hair?
  • Steve: Steve's shirt. EDIT: Looking at it more, I'm not sure that Steve's shirt is this bright. Might be Swedish Alex's eyes instead.
  • Sephiroth: At first I thought this was an exception as well due to the monochromatic color scheme, but it's entirely possible that the color is from where his eyes are in shadow, which explains the green tint.
Byleth (EDIT: and maybe Steve as well) is the odd one out here with an alt color as their background, but it is also from a canonical color scheme for the character, so it doesn't not make sense, which makes me wonder even more if this is the case for Piranha Plant as well or if Piranha Plant's color is truly hand picked.

To me this is interesting because it means that the color pallets are essentially just colors from each character's canonical pallets that look nice when placed behind them (meaning they compliment the overall color scheme without making the character harder to see). Based on that, you might actually be able to predict the next fighter's background color, but you'd have to predict the fighter first. Cue the game where you pick your most wanted's background color.
Easy

Red
1611967498943.png
1611967588674.png

Blue
1611967644699.png
1611967674054.png

You could probably make a case for Klonoa being black or green, or Bandana Dee being orange or yellow, but it's easy to just sort them like this.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even if we know the next character's background color it doesn't narrow down the potential list of newcomers. Case in point, Roy and Dr. Mario's background colors.
That is interesting since Roy's color seems to be taken from his green alt, which is probably not a canonical color for him. Perhaps it differs from base to DLC characters or maybe my observation has been a coincidence so far. Either way it's not really a good predictor, though it can be interesting to think about.

You could probably make a case for Klonoa being black or green, or Bandana Dee being orange or yellow, but it's easy to just sort them like this.
Probably makes sense for Bandana Waddle Dee's color to be cream or blue since it's less likely to make his orange body or yellow feet and spear flair to blend in. It would probably depend a bit on how his body is shaded though.

Same with Klonoa and black; you probably wouldn't be able to see his limbs as easily, and that one's likely regardless of shading.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Demi-fiend will have a 4 color gradient

1611971626830.png 1611971613145.png 1611971638842.png 1611971651899.png

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rex's hypothetical background color would be interesting to see because he would likely share his slot on the website with Pyra, and Mythra if she's included as well. That would mean that the color would have to fit Rex's blue, Pyra's red, and Mythra's whi-...Actually, it would probably be emerald because all three of them have this color in their pallets.

tfw you think of something that completely invalidates your previous train of thought as you type it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom