• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 300975

Is this thing on? Okay...

You are now thinking about how the Dragonball games were released before the anime came out in America, technically making Kakarot a video game character in the west.

Have fun with that one.
The first Dragon Ball game to be released in North America was Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo for the Famicom. However, it was renamed Dragon Power for its NES release, redesigning and renaming its characters to scrub itself of any Dragon Ball branding.

As such, if we were to get Goku in Smash following this logic, he'd look like this:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The first Dragon Ball game to be released in North America was Dragon Ball: Shenron no Nazo for the Famicom. However, it was renamed Dragon Power for its NES release, redesigning and renaming its characters to scrub itself of any Dragon Ball branding.

As such, if we were to get Goku in Smash following this logic, he'd look like this:
Reject anime
Return to monke

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the weapons a character uses when looking at how unique a character would be. I mean, just looking at the DLC:
  • Hero is very different from Sephiroth.
  • Banjo & Kazooie are very different from Terry.
  • Byleth is very different from Steve (Not the exact same weapons, but they do both have the whole weapon master thing going on).
Even aesthetically, you can clearly see the difference between the "anime swordsman" with Hero having the Akira Toryiama influence, Byleth being a weird mix between urban and midevil fantasy aesthetics, and Sephiroth being...well, Sephiroth. I'm sure this would extend to other types of aesthetics too, cartooney or otherwise.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What I mean by that is the most we see with Rayman, especially in his modern games, is just "punches and kicks with long range." I feel like there's a lot more that could be done if Ubisoft actually wanted to. Basically, I feel like Crash and Rayman would use their normals for mostly punch, kick, spin and not much else, and I guess I feel like they'd want to diversify more.

Rayman's punches function like boomerangs in that he can throw them out, move somewhere else, and they'll return to him. This alone would be functionally unique in Smash as existing boomerang projectiles can fail to return and are generally stiff, whereas Rayman's fists can be thrown out one after the other. His fists can also be augmented with the Heavy Metal Fist, which makes them stronger, Vortex, which has him shoot out tornado projectiles that can flip opponents around, Shock Rocket, essentially turning one of his hands into Snake' nikita, and the Lockjaw, a long chain with a bear trap on the end that can latch onto opponents and shock them. He can also charge energy spheres and throw them, which ricochet off of walls. His hair also spins like a chopper, which could be used as a Peach-like float that slows his descent, and can also be augmented with the Throttle Copter, which lets him fly. This isn't even going into various objects he could spawn in ala Pac-Man hydrant for potential stage control. Saying that Rayman is similar to any existing character, even Min Min is folly.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I still think that once they made Chrom his own character, they should've had Robin's Final Smash be teamed up with the corresponding version of Morgan instead.
...Or with Tharja. T-that could be cool.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the weapons a character uses when looking at how unique a character would be. I mean, just looking at the DLC:
  • Hero is very different from Sephiroth.
  • Banjo & Kazooie are very different from Terry.
  • Byleth is very different from Steve (Not the exact same weapons, but they do both have the whole weapon master thing going on).
Even aesthetically, you can clearly see the difference between the "anime swordsman" with Hero having the Akira Toryiama influence, Byleth being a weird mix between urban and midevil fantasy aesthetics, and Sephiroth being...well, Sephiroth. I'm sure this would extend to other types of aesthetics too, cartooney or otherwise.
What we have now is fine, but if we got Rex, Lloyd, Yuri, or Adel there'd definitely be some overlap with the existing roster in terms of aesthetic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...Or with Tharja. T-that could be cool.

What we have now is fine, but if we got Rex, Lloyd, Yuri, or Adel there'd definitely be some overlap with the existing roster in terms of aesthetic.
For first point:
1611954362612.jpeg

for second point: it’s why I’m hoping we get a sci-fi aesthetic character in this pass, such as KOS-MOS or Elma.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I disagree with more here, but I'm only going to point this one out: How on Earth does a kid in scuba gear overlap with anyone on the roster?

Also I just noticed that a character with a scuba diver aesthetic wields a fire sword...

Pillow

Smash Lord
For first point:
View attachment 301027
for second point: it’s why I’m hoping we get a sci-fi aesthetic character in this pass, such as KOS-MOS or Elma.
1. Sorry, not sorry
2. Yeah Sci-Fi aesthetic, or honestly just a female character would shake things up a bit. I still maintain that 2B is more likely than either of those, though I'd be perfectly happy with any of them.

I disagree with more here, but I'm only going to point this one out: How on Earth does a kid in scuba gear overlap with anyone on the roster?

Also I just noticed that a character with a scuba diver aesthetic wields a fire sword...
Wait...which one is the scuba boy?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1. Sorry, not sorry
2. Yeah Sci-Fi aesthetic, or honestly just a female character would shake things up a bit. I still maintain that 2B is more likely than either of those, though I'd be perfectly happy with any of them.

Rex is scuba boy

Sort of, but not in a major way. Rex has an anime aesthetic that originates from a different era than any of the anime looks we already have. The closest thing would be Shulk because of their swords, but they're from the same series so I don't know that it even matters.

The closest thing to Lloyd would be Chrom if you're talking about clothes, and Pit if you're talking about weapons. And I have a hard time seeing a lot of people making those comparison at a glance.

I could see people seeing Yuri as a cross between Lucina and Sephiroth, but his animations would make up for it.

Adol's interesting, because he could look a lot like Marth/Roy, but he doesn't have to. His newer designs would be pretty different.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Rex is scuba boy
God, is that what his outfit is supposed to be? I hate it so much. Nothing against the Xenosomething franchise, I'll take anyone over Rex please. Give us Fei, now that guy was a ****ing chad.

Sort of, but not in a major way. Rex has an anime aesthetic that originates from a different era than any of the anime looks we already have. The closest thing would be Shulk because of their swords, but they're from the same series so I don't know that it even matters.

The closest thing to Lloyd would be Chrom if you're talking about clothes, and Pit if you're talking about weapons. And I have a hard time seeing a lot of people making those comparison at a glance.

I could see people seeing Yuri as a cross between Lucina and Sephiroth, but his animations would make up for it.

Adol's interesting, because he could look a lot like Marth/Roy, but he doesn't have to. His newer designs would be pretty different.
Yeah I mean I'm not saying the overlap would be meaningful or a dealbreaker, but people would definitely notice and point it out, especially if they were against the characters inclusions in the first place. In my opinion what makes Smash so great is just how zany and different the characters on the roster are, so redundancy is a negative thing in my opinion, no matter how small.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rex is scuba boy
That's why the weird metal chaps. When diving it looks like this (minus the Junk Sword. That's an early game weapon.):
1611954856941.png

Honestly he would have looked much better if the leather part stayed on even when not diving. EDIT: Probably would have gotten the whole scuba thing across better too.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God, is that what his outfit is supposed to be? I hate it so much. Nothing against the Xenosomething franchise, I'll take anyone over Rex please. Give us Fei, now that guy was a ****ing chad.

Yeah I mean I'm not saying the overlap would be meaningful or a dealbreaker, but people would definitely notice and point it out, especially if they were against the characters inclusions in the first place. In my opinion what makes Smash so great is just how zany and different the characters on the roster are, so redundancy is a negative thing in my opinion, no matter how small.
For stark contrast, here’s Elma’s design:
1611955081166.jpeg

Clicks tongue perfection. 👌

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's why the weird metal chaps. When diving it looks like this (minus the Junk Sword. That's an early game weapon.):
View attachment 301030
Honestly he would have looked much better if the leather part stayed on even when not diving. EDIT: Probably would have gotten the whole scuba thing across better too.
My god why did they not keep this. The pants are a bit baggy but at least his limbs don't look disproportionately bulky compared to the rest of the body.

Yeah, Adol's going to get a lot of Roy comparisons. Though, he has been getting progressively more unique, it seems.
1611955922220.png
1611955953734.png

If we're going by release order, he's been moving away from the armored look and more towards cloth and jackets. Chronologically speaking, he's a roulette wheel. I think he'd either use the Ys VIII design with the 1 and 2 designs as an alt, or have a composite of various designs from throughout the series.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My god why did they not keep this. The pants are a bit baggy but at least his limbs don't look disproportionately bulky compared to the rest of the body.
I have no idea. I understand wanting his Core Crystal exposed, and the jacket actually looks nice, but the pants just don't look quite right without the leather.

What's infuriating is that he actually does have a non-scuba outfit that he gets for spoilery reasons, and they keep the stupid thigh holes. Iirc he never puts the first outfit back on after that, so it makes sense that it would still be bulky, but the thigh holes? Really?

Pillow

Smash Lord
QUOTE="ALongWistfulSquiggle, post: 24262146, member: 409494"]

Yeah, Adol's going to get a lot of Roy comparisons. Though, he has been getting progressively more unique, it seems.
View attachment 301044View attachment 301046
If we're going by release order, he's been moving away from the armored look and more towards cloth and jackets. Chronologically speaking, he's a roulette wheel. I think he'd either use the Ys VIII design with the 1 and 2 designs as an alt, or have a composite of various designs from throughout the series.
I honestly sorta dig his design overall. Nothing too flashy and he's wearing an appropriate number of belts. I'm not familiar with Ys at all, does he use magic or anything or is he just sword guy all the way through?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Wow he even looks like a Fire Emblem unit in the first image. Was he drawn by the same artist?
Think it's just the 90's anime aesthetic (Though Ark of Napishtim was released in 2003). After a certain point, you can tell when the art style starts branching out.
Nothing stacks up to the original Adol, though
1611956425600.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I honestly sorta dig his design overall. Nothing too flashy and he's wearing an appropriate number of belts. I'm not familiar with Ys at all, does he use magic or anything or is he just sword guy all the way through?
Adol be T-posing on Sephiroth by not only pulling off two belts, but making the second belt actually serve a functional purpose.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Damn it i was thinking of Europe where the Super Butoden games were released beginning in 1993.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

Rayman's punches function like boomerangs in that he can throw them out, move somewhere else, and they'll return to him. This alone would be functionally unique in Smash as existing boomerang projectiles can fail to return and are generally stiff, whereas Rayman's fists can be thrown out one after the other. His fists can also be augmented with the Heavy Metal Fist, which makes them stronger, Vortex, which has him shoot out tornado projectiles that can flip opponents around, Shock Rocket, essentially turning one of his hands into Snake' nikita, and the Lockjaw, a long chain with a bear trap on the end that can latch onto opponents and shock them. He can also charge energy spheres and throw them, which ricochet off of walls. His hair also spins like a chopper, which could be used as a Peach-like float that slows his descent, and can also be augmented with the Throttle Copter, which lets him fly. This isn't even going into various objects he could spawn in ala Pac-Man hydrant for potential stage control. Saying that Rayman is similar to any existing character, even Min Min is folly.
Facts

I feel like people should at least research what characters do in their games before commenting their moveset potential. Its why I withhold judgement on Characters like shantae, llyod, and Dante, not out of dislike or thinking they don't ha e movesetes, but because I simply don't know enough about them so I can't give a fair critique

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Facts

I feel like people should at least research what characters do in their games before commenting their moveset potential. Its why I withhold judgement on Characters like shantae, llyod, and Dante, not out of dislike or thinking they don't ha e movesetes, but because I simply don't know enough about them so I can't give a fair critique
Well I do know that Shantae beats her foes with the power of I Whip my Hair Back and Forth, so obviously she'd be a Bayonetta clone. :4pacman:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It varies from game to game.
  • The first game just gave him a sword and that's it, portrayed though a simplistic bump system
  • The second game gave him some magic wands to cast spells, like fireballs or freezing time. The fifth game, one version of the fourth game, and the remake of the third game retain this, though some use rings instead of wands.
  • Another version of the fourth game introduced magic swords instead, which the sixth game followed up on
  • After Ys Seven, the series has dropped the magic artifacts in favor of various sword techniques
  • Ys IX also gave him Crimson Line, which is basically a very fast dash that would probably resemble Pikachu's up special
So yeah. He's generally a swordfighter, but he can do a lot of things with the sword and/or pick up some magic artifacts along the way. He pretty much looses all his stuff at the start of every game and gets a new set to replace it, so there's a lot to draw from.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well I do know that Shantae beats her foes with the power of I Whip my Hair Back and Forth, so obviously she'd be a Bayonetta clone. :4pacman:
I thought the general consensus was that Waluigi should be the Bayonetta echo.

• The first game just gave him a sword and that's it, portrayed though a simplistic bump system
  • The second game gave him some magic wands to cast spells, like fireballs or freezing time. The fifth game, one version of the fourth game, and the remake of the third game retain this, though some use rings instead of wands.
  • Another version of the fourth game introduced magic swords instead, which the sixth game followed up on
  • After Ys Seven, the series has dropped the magic artifacts in favor of various sword techniques
  • Ys IX also gave him Crimson Line, which is basically a very fast dash that would probably resemble Pikachu's up special
So yeah. He's generally a swordfighter, but he can do a lot of things with the sword and/or pick up some magic artifacts along the way. He pretty much looses all his stuff at the start of every game and gets a new set to replace it, so there's a lot to draw from.
Not gonna shoot up to my most wanted or anything, but I'd be down. I know for a fact Ys has some banger music too.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, what kind of moveset do you imagine for him? It seems that you knows a lot about his saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom