• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Probably because of the syntax? Usually English has "I'm wondering what this thread is smoking" in that situation.

Huh, never noticed that. Probably because the strange stuff was seeing Wario together with 80s horror villains. Then again, might not be the strangest moment in the Mario comics...

... Since we have the time when Peach ate Mario's bowling ball.

View attachment 300965

Wait, Link's in the comic too? And the demon's name is from a ****ing 16th century occult book? And Mario, Link and Kirby grab Van Helsing's stuff to counteract the 80s horror bad guys? Wuh-wha-huh-WHAT?

Okay, I take it back, this is the strangest Mario comic.
That is not the weirdest Mario content such as a virtual magazine where among other things toad and peach have "close relationships" Mario kills both and gets bowser's as his new girlfriend all this told with plushies
Super Mario Wiki Shiamachi Ninjō Gekijō
Put this in the search engine to know more.

Yeah, it's more or less a rough outline. Went "Hey, this would be cool" and tried to find someone who would fit. I do think it could work with Lysithea on the basis that she'd be using the healing effect to get around how fragile she is, but realistically she'd probably be pure magic.
I'd give something like that to Seiros. Considering she canonically uses two of them.

I actually would really like a fully original Seiros with punchy-kicky stuff.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, it's more or less a rough outline. Went "Hey, this would be cool" and tried to find someone who would fit. I do think it could work with Lysithea on the basis that she'd be using the healing effect to get around how fragile she is, but realistically she'd probably be pure magic.
You could make a whole moveset with just Dark Spikes if you're imaginative enough.

She has like, 9 other spells to draw from (8 if you remove Heal), iirc, so yeah, definitely pure magic.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Where will we go next? Find out on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z!
Ghost Nappa.jpg

Is this thing on? Okay...

You are now thinking about how the Dragonball games were released before the anime came out in America, technically making Kakarot a video game character in the west.

Have fun with that one.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You could make a whole moveset with just Dark Spikes if you're imaginative enough.

She has like, 9 other spells to draw from (8 if you remove Heal), iirc, so yeah, definitely pure magic.
Yeah, probably. On the other hand, the Axe of Ukonvasara corresponds to one of her Crests, and I want to see her heave a gigantic axe over her head.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, probably. On the other hand, the Axe of Ukonvasara corresponds to one of her Crests, and I want to see her heave a gigantic axe over her head.
That would be an hilarious image.

Seeing smol bean Lysithea just wield a massive axe bigger than she is :laugh:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
View attachment 300975

You are now thinking about how the Dragonball games was released before the anime came out in America, technically making Kakarot a video game character in the west.

Have fun with that one.
If you want to play by those rules, the first Pokemon anime episode technically released in the west before Pokemon Red and Blue's international release, so......

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That would be an hilarious image.

Seeing smol bean Lysithea just wield a massive axe bigger than she is :laugh:
Reminds me of the Fire Emblem Warriors promo showcase where Frederick got stuck on Lissa's axe, causing her to fling around a fully armoured man and his fully armoured horse around like they were nothing.

Plenty strong indeed.

Reminds me of the Fire Emblem Warriors promo showcase where Frederick got stuck on Lissa's axe, causing her to fling around a fully armoured man and his fully armoured horse around like they were nothing.

Plenty strong indeed.
For some reason Lissa always reminds me of Brady. That guy's easily my favorite healer unit in the series. I just love the idea of a magical healer who carries himself like a thug.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If you want to play by those rules, the first Pokemon anime episode technically released in the west before Pokemon Red and Blue's international release, so......
Pokemon in smash represents the anime a lot with Jigglypuff, Mewtwo speaking movie lines in Japanese, Lucario speaking in human language, Ash Greninja and most of the Pokemon are voiced by people who play them in the anime so yeah.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
That is not the weirdest Mario content such as a virtual magazine where among other things toad and peach have "close relationships" Mario kills both and gets bowser's as his new girlfriend all this told with plushies
Super Mario Wiki Shiamachi Ninjō Gekijō
Put this in the search engine to know more.
Huh. The fact that it's apparently official material makes me wonder what the **** was going on at Nintendo HQ at the time. I'm suspecting that the higher-ups caught wind of what was going on with that series and decided to have the ROM destroyed - which, fair, that would've been extremely awkward for Nintendo.

The best part is without a doubt Bill Gates' appearance.

Pokemon in smash represents the anime a lot with Jigglypuff, Mewtwo speaking movie lines in Japanese, Lucario speaking in human language, Ash Greninja and most of the Pokemon are voiced by people who play them in the anime so yeah.
Part of it is probably that the anime has more opportunities for Pokemon to express unique stuff than the games do - for example, Jigglypuff is often portrayed with the mic and getting angry over its audience falling asleep, something which most games haven't really been able to do. As such, it's relatively easy for Sakurai and co. to "add some flavor" by getting some anime influences in.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
View attachment 300975

You are now thinking about how the Dragonball games were released before the anime came out in America, technically making Kakarot a video game character in the west.

Have fun with that one.
The virgin Dragon Ball with 53.5 mil game sales vs the chad Star Wars with 119.37 mil sales.

This is how they win, babyyyy.

5B3740B8-ECCD-470C-BBD8-0E39C5FF6EF0.jpeg

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Damn, it's been.... what, pre-COVID since I last saw you?
Yeah, it's been a while, hope things are going well for you!

On topic, though.

I feel like we're getting at least two more third parties, if not three. If I had to put my guesses down it's...

Crash or Rayman
Ryu Hayabusa
Lloyd or Rex

I do think Arthur, Sakura Shinguji, and Agumon are sleeper picks though.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Part of it is probably that the anime has more opportunities for Pokemon to express unique stuff than the games do - for example, Jigglypuff is often portrayed with the mic and getting angry over its audience falling asleep, something which most games haven't really been able to do. As such, it's relatively easy for Sakurai and co. to "add some flavor" by getting some anime influences in.
While true at first, the most recent pokemon additions (greninja & incineroar) sort of break this pattern. I know Greninja became a staple Ash pokemon, but I think he was still concept art when Sakurai stuck him in Smash 4.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

On topic, though.

I feel like we're getting at least two more third parties, if not three. If I had to put my guesses down it's...

Crash or Rayman
Ryu Hayabusa
Lloyd or Rex

Still gonna shill for Nightmare until the DLC ends or he gets in, whichever happens first.

1611952396833.png

Though I agree that Crash is pretty overdue for Smash.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Still gonna shill for Nightmare until the DLC ends or he gets in, whichever happens first.

View attachment 301013

I personally feel like they're probably not going to double-dip on theming on characters this pass unless they are genuinely truly unique, so sadly, even if I want both, I think it comes down to Crash or Rayman for "wacky platformer mascot." I feel like Crash has the slight edge.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

On topic, though.

Crash or Rayman
Ryu Hayabusa
Lloyd or Rex

Wait, forgive me for my ignorance, but which "Nate" are you? Pretty sure this is the first time I'm seeing you...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I personally feel like they're probably not going to double-dip on theming on characters this pass unless they are genuinely truly unique, so sadly, even if I want both, I think it comes down to Crash or Rayman for "wacky platformer mascot." I feel like Crash has the slight edge.
I don't see why double-dipping on theming is bad when the first Pass has had three silent protagonists, with all of them wielding swords and two of them even being JRPG characters.

Moveset potential should be the key factor here, not the genre the characters come from.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Granted, we did get two medieval fantasy RPG protagonists
:ulthero3::ultbylethf:
Though, there were also two characters between them. I think there won't be as much notable overlap from CP9-onward, though "stretchy arm girl," "blockman," and "urban fantasy JRPG villain" are admittedly pretty distinct and I don't think we'll get that much overlap regardless.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Wait, forgive me for my ignorance, but which "Nate" are you? Pretty sure this is the first time I'm seeing you...
Nerd Saga Nate.

I don't see why double-dipping on theming is bad when the first Pass has had three silent protagonists, with all of them wielding swords and two of them even being JRPG characters.

Moveset potential should be the key factor here, not the genre the characters come from.
I mean I see where you're coming from, I'm just saying this based on pattern of this pass I've noticed. I also personally believe that Byleth's moveset may have been sewn together with scraps of a Monster Hunter moveset, so I dunno if that makes any difference. Either way, I just don't feel like both are likely. Normals for both of those two seem a little samey, if you ask me. Specials would have to be very unique to get both in imo.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't see why double-dipping on theming is bad when the first Pass has had three silent protagonists, with all of them wielding swords and all of them even being JRPG characters.

I count 3 JRPG silent protagonists in pass 1...but yeah, because of that I'd be kinda lukewarm to be getting another JRPG guy especially after we just got Sephiroth. Normally I'd be totally fine with a Tales or Ys rep, and I used to scoff at those who went durr hurr another anime swordsman, but we really have reached a critical mass of anime swords!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I mean I see where you're coming from, I'm just saying this based on pattern of this pass I've noticed. I also personally believe that Byleth's moveset may have been sewn together with scraps of a Monster Hunter moveset, so I dunno if that makes any difference. Either way, I just don't feel like both are likely. Normals for both of those two seem a little samey, if you ask me. Specials would have to be very unique to get both in imo.
How would Crash and Rayman feel samey in normals?

Rayman being a limbless wonder can allow for one of the most unique-looking movesets since he's not bound by things such as, well, limbs for his animations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Rayman being a limbless wonder can allow for one of the most unique-looking movesets since he's not bound by things such as, well, limbs for his animations.
Also, Lloyd is decently quick on his feet, and his dual wielding could allow for a lot of multi-hits (though it doesn't necessarily have to), whereas Rex is kind of the opposite, and would probably get some sort of nuke button.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Maybe it's a case where they do a lot of the same things? I don't know, I'm not very knowledgable on Rayman.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I agree, if that's the route they want to take. What I mean by that is the most we see with Rayman, especially in his modern games, is just "punches and kicks with long range." I feel like there's a lot more that could be done if Ubisoft actually wanted to. Basically, I feel like Crash and Rayman would use their normals for mostly punch, kick, spin and not much else, and I guess I feel like they'd want to diversify more.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe it's a case where they do a lot of the same things? I don't know, I'm not very knowledgable on Rayman.
Not to my knowledge. Crash is kind of like Mario in that the focus is on platforming, so he doesn't really have that large of a movelist. He mostly just has the speeen and the bodyslam.

Rayman is more like a looney tunes brawler, at least in his newest games. He also has the quirk of all of his attacks being...not disjointed, but there are gaps in his hurtboxes.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 301013

Like, 2B is my number one girl and I hope she somehow makes it (If not her then Chun-li or Morrigan) but I've wanted Siegfried/knightmare in Smash since SM4SH So I hope Namco gives them their chance to shine.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'm not very knowledgeable on either and I can still tell they could have very different movesets.
I could see Rayman havine some overlap with Min Min I guess, but definitely not Crash. Plus Sakurai could always toss Rabids into the moveset if he wanted to spice Rayman up a bit.

I agree, if that's the route they want to take. What I mean by that is the most we see with Rayman, especially in his modern games, is just "punches and kicks with long range." I feel like there's a lot more that could be done if Ubisoft actually wanted to. Basically, I feel like Crash and Rayman would use their normals for mostly punch, kick, spin and not much else, and I guess I feel like they'd want to diversify more.
Moveset potential is important, but Sakurai has always kind of proved that the significance of the character itself is the most important factor for their inclusion in Smash. You'd expect a cookie cutter sort of moveset for a character like Banjo as well, and he made that work. Hell, if he could turn Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant into completely unique and fun fighters, he could pretty much do that with anyone.

On a separate topic, I know it's not necessary for their inclusion, but for those of you who want a Soul Calibur or Tekken Rep in Smash what do you guys think is the best way to allude to their 3D movement in a 2D fighter like Smash?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I like the sword-swinging movements better than the brawling, honestly. The punchy-kicky animations don't stick out that much. There's a couple brawlers that do/would look cool, but the majority of them just look kinda bland.

Granted, I've been slowly drifting away from cartoony platformers and more towards anime/weapon RPGs and action games, so that probably has something to do with it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, Lloyd is decently quick on his feet, and his dual wielding could allow for a lot of multi-hits (though it doesn't necessarily have to), whereas Rex is kind of the opposite, and would probably get some sort of nuke button.
There's also the aesthetic and status. Tales of Symphonia is a straight fantasy game from the 2000's, while Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a science-fantasy. I don't know about Tales as a whole, but Lloyd's outfit looks a lot more grounded than the vast majority of XC2 designs. They'd give off much different vibes when put in the same room.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hell, if he could turn Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant into completely unique and fun fighters, he could pretty much do that with anyone.
Unfortunately he can also send Chrom to the Final Smash realm and only make him playable in the next game as a clone of a clone due to not seeing enough potential in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom