• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Can’t help but wonder where the community would have been if the 2nd pass wasn’t a thing and Byleth was the final DLC character :laugh:
Nowhere good, that's for sure.

Eithery way, I think Byleth and Terry should've swapped Fighters Pass spots. Never mind that I would've preferred one of the House Leaders personally

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can’t help but wonder where the community would have been if the 2nd pass wasn’t a thing and Byleth was the final DLC character :laugh:
The same place they were at the end of every other Smash game and the same place they'll be later this year: left being upset at the final character reveal.

And then they'll get over it. And then the focus will become eventually completely inaccurate predictions for the next roster.

And somewhere in the distance Circle of Life will play.

7NATOR

Smash Master
When it comes to whoever is the Final character of FP2, where do you think they will fit in the "Hype Scale"

-The Hypest Character in the Speculation cycle (No Prior examples)
-A Character that while hype, wasn't as Hype as other characters in their speculation cycles (Bayonetta)
-A Character that is considered heavily underwhelming or disappointing, might get of hate (Wolf)
-A Character that is very "Out There" and people don't know how to feel (Duck Hunt, Plant if you consider him last)
-The "Worst Case scenario" character that will cause a Whole storm of Hate or Disappointment (Incineroar, Byleth)

There's currently been no example of what is considered by many "the hypest" character being last, but the Last reveals of a Speculation cycle have differed in various ways. What's your thoughts?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
When it comes to whoever is the Final character of FP2, where do you think they will fit in the "Hype Scale"

-A Character that while hype, wasn't as Hype as other characters in their speculation cycles (Bayonetta)
-A Character that is considered heavily underwhelming or disappointing, might get of hate (Wolf)
-A Character that is very "Out There" and people don't know how to feel (Duck Hunt, Plant if you consider him last)
-The "Worst Case scenario" character that will cause a Whole storm of Hate or Disappointment (Incineroar, Byleth)

There's currently been no example of what is considered by many "the hypest" character being last, but the Last reveals of a Speculation cycle have differed in various ways. What's your thoughts?
My (probably wrong) predictions are:

Crash - I'd say first one
Rex & Pyra - 3rd one for most people
Master Chief - 1st one for sure
Ryu Hayabusa- 2nd one probably

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Probably not as big as Joker, Steve, Sephiroth, etc... because the big named characters are most likely the ones put at the front of the pass to gain sales earlier and then the later fighters can be whoever. I don't even think it's even going to be disappointing, Byleth was probably a special exception because of course out of the wide variety of first party characters they could have chosen from it'd be from FE. Even if the final fighter is some first party shill I mean I can't see the same amount of overwhelming amount of negativity at a unique new Zelda character from BOTW 2 as a hypothetical. Actually Gen 8 exists but the topic has been so hard etched into these forum walls it's best not to talk about it hahaha.

Basically I have my hopes up high for a more niche character and hopefully one from a new game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My (probably wrong) predictions are:

Crash - I'd say first one
Rex & Pyra - 3rd one for most people
Master Chief - 1st one for sure
Ryu Hayabusa- 2nd one probably
I feel like there would be a decent number of people who would place Rex at 2nd. The guy was really popular, especially in Japan. One could even make a case for him being a fan-favorite pick over there.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I feel like there would be a decent number of people who would place Rex at 2nd. The guy was really popular, especially in Japan. One could even make a case for him being a fan-favorite pick for Japan.
yeah, he'd probably be 1st or 2nd in japan, but I feel like there would be a lot of people over here who would be disapointed like with min min

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean we already kind of had that with Corrin in Smash 4. (Although that was also released with Bayonetta, who, now that I think about it, was controversial in a different way by becoming Smash 4's Brawl Meta Knight).

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

My three Most Predicted are Phoenix Wright, Hayabusa, and BWD.
If its Phoenix Or Ryu I’d say its
If its BWD I’d say its
-A Character that is considered heavily underwhelming or disappointing, might get a lot of hate (Wolf)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

As someone predicting Rex to end the pass...2. Won't be hype if you want third-parties and unrepresented franchises, will be treated fine otherwise.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hype is completely subjective. Some people may have despised one character, others may have adored them. Like that saying goes, one person's junk is another person's treasure.

Trying to scale and predict potential characters via an arbitrary "hype rating" doesn't really seem like the right way to go about it when the said rankings are pretty much up to personal interpretation and will likely vary from person to person.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
yeah, he'd probably be 1st or 2nd in japan, but I feel like there would be a lot of people over here who would be disapointed like with min min
I haven't seen much disappointment regarding Min Min, honestly. The guessing game wore everyone out, but generally most people seem to be satisfied with her (Granted, that's mostly because we knew there would be an ARMS rep so we set our expectations accordingly). It the reception to Rex would be Min Min-tier, that sounds like it'd be fairly positive.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I haven't seen much disappointment regarding Min Min, honestly. The guessing game wore everyone out, but generally most people seem to be satisfied with her (Granted, that's mostly because we knew there would be an ARMS rep so we set our expectations accordingly). It the reception to Rex would be Min Min-tier, that sounds like it'd be fairly positive.
she gets a lot of hate on gamefaqs. then again most things get a lot of hate on gamefaqs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It the reception to Rex would be Min Min-tier, that sounds like it'd be fairly positive
I actually think Rex might, just might, have a chance to be more well-received because XBC wasn't considered "dead" when Rex was deconfirmed for FP1.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Wolf is technically ordered last, but all the hidden characters in Brawl were discovered in quick succession after launch, and were all known within a day or two, so it was basically tantamount to being revealed simultaneously. And of that batch, ROB was the only original newcomer that hadn't previously leaked, so he got the ire, not Wolf.

My general thoughts are that people expect some narrative arc out of reveals, where there is an expectation to end in a bang, but there's a marketing reason why the hypest characters are never last, and that trend of lofty expectations being crushed by a character that will be burdened with extra polarity simply by not being the "correct" recipient of often unabated hope will endure.

Though it does help that there have been an unprecedented number of probable deconfirmations along the way, to narrow the pool of expectation somewhat.

Where that fits in your scale is up to you I suppose.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And in that way the guessing game was a success, because if not for the forewarning, many people would've been pretty unenthused with only an ARMS character sprung (heh) on us around E3. A series that, for some reason, a large number of people had decided was "dead" or a "failure".

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And in that way the guessing game was a success, because if not for the forewarning, many people would've been pretty unenthused with only an ARMS character sprung (heh) on us around E3. A series that, for some reason, a large number of people had decided was "dead" or a "failure".
Yeah, I don't think we'd have as much enthusiasm had it not been for the guessing game. Just wish the gap had been a bit shorter, so we weren't so drained afterwards. Though, I think we can blame the general lack of anything post-Min Min for that too.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm speaking for myself here, but I honestly would have been a LOT more excited about Min Min if we didn't have the build-up and guessing game lmao. Would have been a complete shock whereas I pretty much knew it was going to be Min Min the moment we got the original vague "ARMS character" announcement. Drawing it out for three months didn't exactly help the situation either, and conversations got extremely stale. Min Min is actually one of my favorites but yeah, at least on my end I think it could have been handled better.

Like, let's say the trailer dropped without any previous buffer announcement. Not only are we getting an ARMS character, which is way out of the sphere of anything we were seriously considering at the time, but we're NOT getting Spring Man. Two massive surprises in a row, and then the gears start turning and you think about the ramen shop at the beginning and you're like waiiiiit a second I know who it is! And then Min Min shows up and you're pretty much questioning everything. All of that is pretty much lost because of the March announcement which prepared us well in advance for this.

In general though, there definitely would have been a lot more complaining if we didn't have that buffer and time to ease into the idea of ARMS, a series that many people had already written off in more ways than one, getting a character over many highly speculated third party characters. So retrospectively I guess I'm glad that Min Min didn't have a whole lot of unnecessary hate spewed her way, though at the expense of a lot more hype and surprise.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice

I would argue that Nintendo learned from their mistakes with Byleth when it came to Min Min and the whole revealing a "Not Super Hype First Party Pick"

Since the way they handled Byleth was akin to "Okay, how can we make this reveal as underwhelming as possible." While they handled someone who should objectively have less hype among the fanbase at large and turn it into an accepted and generally well liked pick. If the Byleth Backlash didn't happen, I don't think they would have done the Min Min reveal that way.

If theres another First Party Rep like Pokemon or Xenoblade, I expect them to do the same to avoid what happened with Byleth.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I would argue that Nintendo learned from their mistakes with Byleth when it came to Min Min and the whole revealing a "Not Super Hype First Party Pick"

Since the way they handled Byleth was akin to "Okay, how can we make this reveal as underwhelming as possible." While they handled someone who should objectively have less hype among the fanbase at large and turn it into an accepted and generally well liked pick. If the Byleth Backlash didn't happen, I don't think they would have done the Min Min reveal that way.

If theres another First Party Rep like Pokemon or Xenoblade, I expect them to do the same to avoid what happened with Byleth.
Byleth's trailer didn't necessarily seem like it was underwhelming so much as just not suited for the circumstances. It felt like a mid-Direct reveal a la Isabelle, where it leads you to think it's a new game/DLC, only to go "Actually this is a Smash trailer." Though, given the timing, one could make a case for them being shown at the Game Awards instead.

Ah frick we're falling back into the Byleth hole aren't we. Quick, change the topic.
Uh
Gatekeeper for Smash
Yes

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Hype is completely subjective. Some people may have despised one character, others may have adored them. Like that saying goes, one person's junk is another person's treasure.
In other words, I'm legally allowed to say Byleth made me super hyped.

Don't @ me, haters :4pacman:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If I had a dollar for everytime someone bring up Byleth again and how they were a dissapointing in any sort of way possible, I be a little more, hmmmmmmmm, richer by now.
In this thread alone you'd make more money off of Byleth fans than haters.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If I had a dollar for everytime someone bring up Byleth again and how they were a dissapointing in any sort of way possible, I be a little more, hmmmmmmmm, richer by now.
If you count twitter, I'd be making more money per year that way then working at retail :4pacman:

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Looks like we had a Pic of the Day after all!

Along with a little message....

Google Translate:
Today's one wasn't out ...
Sumimasen late.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm speaking for myself here, but I honestly would have been a LOT more excited about Min Min if we didn't have the build-up and guessing game lmao. Would have been a complete shock whereas I pretty much knew it was going to be Min Min the moment we got the original vague "ARMS character" announcement. Drawing it out for three months didn't exactly help the situation either, and conversations got extremely stale. Min Min is actually one of my favorites but yeah, at least on my end I think it could have been handled better.
Yeah, I think everyone has to agree here because teasing for 3 months was at best, tiring as all discussions ended up getting repeated after a week lmao. I think it's also safe to say that by teasing for 3 months, Min Min also ended up being underwhelming as every other character got to have "I can't believe it's X!" As soon as the trailer dropped. Imagine if they pulled this for Final Fantasy which led into Sephiroth, Sephiroth's a big enough deal to get people excited for, but if he was teased for 3 months, the crowd that's disappointed we got a second FF7 character would be quite a bit louder imo

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Like, let's say the trailer dropped without any previous buffer announcement. Not only are we getting an ARMS character, which is way out of the sphere of anything we were seriously considering at the time, but we're NOT getting Spring Man. Two massive surprises in a row, and then the gears start turning and you think about the ramen shop at the beginning and you're like waiiiiit a second I know who it is! And then Min Min shows up and you're pretty much questioning everything. All of that is pretty much lost because of the March announcement which prepared us well in advance for this.

In general though, there definitely would have been a lot more complaining if we didn't have that buffer and time to ease into the idea of ARMS, a series that many people had already written off in more ways than one, getting a character over many highly speculated third party characters. So retrospectively I guess I'm glad that Min Min didn't have a whole lot of unnecessary hate spewed her way, though at the expense of a lot more hype and surprise.
If you count twitter, I'd be making more money per year that way then working at retail :4pacman:
Sorry to not add much to the conversation, but I haven't seen either of ya'll on the boards in eons! How you guys been??

Oh and uh I'm kinda expecting Sonic to finally get its second character in this pass ngl

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Trying to scale and predict potential characters via an arbitrary "hype rating" doesn't really seem like the right way to go about it when the said rankings are pretty much up to personal interpretation and will likely vary from person to person.
Well, generally speaking, more popular and well known characters generate more hype. I know BWD would make a lot of people happy, but I wouldn’t pretend he’d generate as much hype as a 3rd party character would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom