• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Actually, they tweaked the damage he deals and takes a little, depending on the difficulty. According to the wiki:
×0.965 damage dealt and ~×1.32 damage received on Easy
×1.325 damage dealt and ~×1.08 damage received on Normal
×1.45 damage dealt and ~×0.84 damage received on Very Hard

Nothing too major, but I think it's a neat little tidbit,
Yeah sephiroth is op

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
THE CURIOUS CASE OF KAT IN SMASH.

View attachment 300863

So normally i wouldn’t think twice about this characters chances in smash. But after doing research i might think differently now. So there is really One main issue with this character, in particular with the game she is from. It was a pretty good game that could have sold a good number of copies. but this game had the unfortunate fate of ending up on the vita. Which didn’t sell well. Talk about a bad way to introduce your series. Of course the developers didnt have anyway of knowing how the vita would sell, it was just altogether unfortunate. this release on the vita greatly affected the sales. Only 200,000 copies world wide I believe.
They realized their mistake soon after and decided to release its sequel on PS4, but the damage had already been done. Sales from gravity rush 2 were more or less the same because people didn’t have any clue about the prequel so they didnt feel the need to by the second game. In the end it was the console not the game that killed the poor sales of gravity rush series. however, in the case of the main protaganist, ‘Kat’ being in smash. Its possible, but dont get to worked up. Her last game came out in 2017 which is around the same time sakurai was figuring out who to put in smash ultimate. And more interestingly there is a source gaming article in 2016 (i believe thats the year.) where sakurai talked about the games he had been playing and one of them was Gravity rush. Of course you could say that its simply just one of the games he decided to play, but why would he play such an obscure game with such poor sales even in japan. That is something worth noting. And putting her in smash might be the way to bring her series back alive again and make her relevant. kinda like how sakurai put fire emblem in smash to localize it to western audiences. We will just have to wait and see.
1 That Sakurai played the game doesn't say anything in Smash he plays a lot of games and I'm pretty sure Gravity Rush isn't the only obscure game he's said he's played

2 Fire Emblem was located due to the success of Advance Wars that showed Nintengo that tactical games can be successful in the West and directly at the beginning it was thought on Melee to remove Marth and Roy from the versions outside of Japan.

3 The argument of the years I do not think it is something that is very reliable to take it into account

Don't take it the wrong way, I wouldn't have a problem with Kat's inclusion and I'm sure her ability to control gravity would make for an interesting and fun moveset.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
1 That Sakurai played the game doesn't say anything in Smash he plays a lot of games and I'm pretty sure Gravity Rush isn't the only obscure game he's said he's played

2 Fire Emblem was located due to the success of Advance Wars that showed Nintengo that tactical games can be successful in the West and directly at the beginning it was thought on Melee to remove Marth and Roy from the versions outside of Japan.

3 The argument of the years I do not think it is something that is very reliable to take it into account

Don't take it the wrong way, I wouldn't have a problem with Kat's inclusion and I'm sure her ability to control gravity would make for an interesting and fun moveset.
Yeah, she is not as likely as someone like Lloyd or 2b

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We really need to fix the whole Leak vs. Rumor terminology.

It's probably too late as it's a bit ingrained into speculation but let it be know that those 2 phrases are not interchangeable, I am guilty of it so whatever.
I've shifted to using "rumor" more often myself. Basically, it's only a leak if it turns up true. At least, that's how I think it goes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Question

Even if Monster Hunter isn't playable, could we still see some type of Challenge mode, similar to the Sephiroth Challenge, where maybe you have to fight a harder version of Rathalos, or maybe they make a New Boss fight against a New Monster
Perhaps this is something I should have just edited in but eh. This thought leads me to another question:

Do you guys think we'll get another cute little challenge a la the Sephiroth Challenge at all?

Actually, they tweaked the damage he deals and takes a little, depending on the difficulty. According to the wiki:
×0.965 damage dealt and ~×1.32 damage received on Easy
×1.325 damage dealt and ~×1.08 damage received on Normal
×1.45 damage dealt and ~×0.84 damage received on Very Hard

Nothing too major, but I think it's a neat little tidbit,
Interesting. I guess I just didn't notice because he stoopid.

That acutally does change my initial answer to "probably".

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've shifted to using "rumor" more often myself. Basically, it's only a leak if it turns up true. At least, that's how I think it goes.
Which basically makes the 2 terms interchangeable as far as speculation goes. The only real difference is people will use the word leak if they want to give their argument more substance without there actually being any.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Which basically makes the 2 terms interchangeable as far as speculation goes. The only real difference is people will use the word leak if they want to give their argument more substance without there actually being any.
I dont think i said leak in any of my posts if so, feel free to call me out. I believe i said it was all patterns i noticed

7NATOR

Smash Master
By any chance, have you ever seen the 2008 film "Knowing", starring the greatest actor of our era, Nicholas Cage?

Rathalos is perfectly serviceable as boss content as he is imo. If we're getting more bosses, I'd rather they come from other series. Eggman has been tossed around here a lot recently since Sephiroth's arrival, and I think he would make a good boss if he's not a playable character. I've mentioned this before but a co-op survival mode like cruel melee where we survive against hordes of mook enemies from various series with boss fights in-between would be a really cool addition to Smash.

If they were looking for Monster Hunter content specifically, I'd rather a "full mii costume" of a Palico.
I've theorized about a mode like this for a New Smash game, or perhaps Ultimate DLC Expansion

Pretty much a mode where you kind of play a level from the represented franchises home games, complete with their Enemy mooks, Level design, and some of the bosses.

Pretty much a combination of something like Smash run, or some of the levels in Melee's Adventure mode, along with the addition of fighting bosses. it would not only be a very interesting representation of the franchises, but I think it would add alot to the Platforming aspect of Smash

Smash Ultimate as is really lacks a mode that focuses on the Platforming and movement aspects. Melee, Brawl, and Smash 3DS all had some type of mode that's like this. even 64 kind of had this with Board the Platforms. I also think Brawl and Smash 3DS were really interesting in particular because Subspace and Smash Run had you fighting Enemies that you usually don't fight in regular play, with their own Quirks and such, so it really separates itself more from the Multiplayer of Smash and is a very good breath of fresh air, as it's like a Beat-em up mode mixed with Platforming.

It's a big part of why I think the Single-Player in Ultimate is kind of weak in all aspects. the Types of modes in this game is not as varied as Melee, Brawl, and Smash 3ds

Pillow

Smash Lord
I dont think i said leak in any of my posts if so, feel free to call me out. I believe i said it was all patterns i noticed
I never said you did.

I've theorized about a mode like this for a New Smash game, or perhaps Ultimate DLC Expansion

Pretty much a mode where you kind of play a level from the represented franchises home games, complete with their Enemy mooks, Level design, and some of the bosses.

Pretty much a combination of something like Smash run, or some of the levels in Melee's Adventure mode, along with the addition of fighting bosses. it would not only be a very interesting representation of the franchises, but I think it would add alot to the Platforming aspect of Smash

Smash Ultimate as is really lacks a mode that focuses on the Platforming and movement aspects. Melee, Brawl, and Smash 3DS all had some type of mode that's like this. even 64 kind of had this with Board the Platforms. I also think Brawl and Smash 3DS were really interesting in particular because Subspace and Smash Run had you fighting Enemies that you usually don't fight in regular play, with their own Quirks and such, so it really separates itself more from the Multiplayer of Smash and is a very good breath of fresh air, as it's like a Beat-em up mode mixed with Platforming.

It's a big part of why I think the Single-Player in Ultimate is kind of weak in all aspects. the Types of modes in this game is not as varied as Melee, Brawl, and Smash 3ds
Well, I sort of disagree with the platforming thing. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought Brawl's Subspace Emissary was BAD. Like the cutscenes were hella cool, and having some sort of plot, however weak, in Smash was great...but the gameplay was just really repetitive and boring mostly because it was sort of trying to be a sidescrolling platformer like Kirby. At its core, Smash is a fighting game and its mechanics should emphasize that. That's why I suggested something like a survival mode over something like subspace...though a survival mode with cutscenes and plot would be even better!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Perhaps this is something I should have just edited in but eh. This thought leads me to another question:

Do you guys think we'll get another cute little challenge a la the Sephiroth Challenge at all?
The Sephiroth Challenge has been fairly well-received, so that might lead Sakurai to add more of them in the future. Though, I'm not sure if everyone would fit the challenge as well. Sephiroth made sense, because he was a villain and he got a boss fight, but not everyone would fit that. Though, here's some ideas.
  • Fighting game character - The battle emulates most traditional fighters, so Stamina Mode, 1v1 facing, low jump height, and Final Smash meter.
  • Reimu - Bullet hell using the Classic Mode credits minigame. As per Touhou law, there are a lot of enemies and you can only take one hit per life. Maybe add in a bomb somehow, though that might be a bit too much.
  • Dante - Mob Smash, but there's a style gauge based on what you do and you have to rack up the highest score possible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Sephiroth Challenge has been fairly well-received, so that might lead Sakurai to add more of them in the future. Though, I'm not sure if everyone would fit the challenge as well. Sephiroth made sense, because he was a villain and he got a boss fight, but not everyone would fit that. Though, here's some ideas.
  • Fighting game character - The battle emulates most traditional fighters, so Stamina Mode, 1v1 facing, low jump height, and Final Smash meter.
  • Reimu - Bullet hell using the Classic Mode credits minigame. As per Touhou law, there are a lot of enemies and you can only take one hit per life. Maybe add in a bomb somehow, though that might be a bit too much.
  • Dante - Mob Smash, but there's a style gauge based on what you do and you have to rack up the highest score possible.
I think to be fair to Touhou tradition you should be allowed to bomb. It’s not auto though, this isn’t a CAVE bullet hell and good thing too - it’s IMPOSSIBLE to play a CAVE bullet hell at the highest difficulty without bombing at LEAST once. Looking at you, Mushihimesama Futari

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I could see the dante one happening

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think to be fair to Touhou tradition you should be allowed to bomb. It’s not auto though, this isn’t a CAVE bullet hell and good thing too - it’s IMPOSSIBLE to play a CAVE bullet hell at the highest difficulty without bombing at LEAST once. Looking at you, Mushihimesama Futari
Thing is, Sephiroth didn't add too many new rules beyond the damage tweaks. I'm worried that the life/stock system over a minigame that didn't have any lives in the first place would be enough effort on it's own already.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

No. That's probably going to be exclusive to Sephiroth since the reason it was made was to show off the Boss like quality of him.

But if there was something like that, I'd have an 8 player smash with Sgt. Cortez and 6 other random CPUs on a big TimeSplitters stage with gun items on and the first to 20 KOs is the winner!

Time to Split

I'm ready to go compressed.gif

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No. That's probably going to be exclusive to Sephiroth since the reason it was made was to show off the Boss like quality of him.
That and the fact that Sakurai was questioning whether or not DLC characters should just appear or if there should be a little bit more fanfare in-game. I'm still kind of inclined to agree with you though. Perhaps we'll see something if it makes total sense, but I wouldn't say it's likely to happen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Demi-fiend boss fight would make it so that he could do 9999% in a game that only goes up to 999%.

Magic Burst eat your heart out. Gaea Rage is the new wave.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There's something flipping hilarious about Amy Rose having Sephiroth/Ridley-levels of obsession to follow her target directly into Smash.
Amy Rose impales Mega Man and crushes Mario's skull

You're welcome
Yandere Amy Rose confirmed. She even has the pink color scheme down.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While Sony has built up a lineup of notable character/franchises over the years, I think "Most" can agree that their "Top" Playstation mascots are...

• Kratos (God of War)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Sackboy (Little Big Planet)

Pillow

Smash Lord
While Sony has built up a lineup of notable character/franchises over the years, I think "Most" can agree that their "Top" Playstation mascots are...

• Kratos (God of War)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Sackboy (Little Big Planet)
Am I missing something, or is Crash Bandicoot not considered a Sony IP?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Am I missing something, or is Crash Bandicoot not considered a Sony IP?
I guess you missed this then huh?

note the former PlayStation mascot, getting published by a former console rival, on the Nintendo Switch. What a wild time to be alive.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well guys, it's official. Roger Craig Smith is stepping down.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
...why's he on the Japanese Sega Twitter tho?
Sega is the current publisher for Crash in Japan.

I'd' be fine with future platforming segments in Smash if they were customized for each fighter (maybe user created?). Having to accommodate for all the various potential characters in Brawl is what made many of those designs in SSE so bland.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Evidently, Crash will be the Sega rep of this pass :4pacman:
But only for Japan. He comes in a later Fighter Pack as an Activision/Blizzard rep for everyone else.

You heard it here first folks FP9 is region locked Crash, and FP10 is region locked the other way Crash. Technically 6 characters, but everyone only gets 5 of them. :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom