• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Actually it is spelt Min, Min. Both her first name and last name are Min, and just saying "Min" is acceptable. So, for instance, when you're being torn apart by an army of Springtrons and your F---ING ARMS are malfunctioning, you can just say "MIN! HELP MEEEE!" :4pacman:

Only the truly cultured will understand this reference
it's a bit strange that A. Changer didn't get a spirit.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
PATTERNS I HAVE NOTICED IN THE FIGHTER PASSES

Since last month i have been painstakingly trying to find a pattern in both of the fighter passes that makes sense. Eventually i found some interesting stuff. (Just to be clear none of this stuff is for certain and it is just me speculating based on the pattern I have seen thus far in both passes. I could be completely wrong). I first went and researched every single dlc pass character in ultimate to see if i could find anything at all that stood out. The obvious pattern thus far is that we have one western rep for each pass while the rest have been japanese. I think that is a rule i can stick to for right now. So, that would mean steve was the last western rep. Aside from this i did research on the release date of every characters original game that they came from and noticed that all of them (except for 4) had a release date between 2016 and 2018. Which according to sakurai was the same time he started actually working on ultimate. So he wouldve picked characters from games that came out around that time. From what i have seen sakurai tends to pick characters this way UNLESS, the character was requested by fans. In which case sakurai wil go very far into the past to retrieve that character if he needs to. This is the case for the 4 characters i mentioned before (Banjo, Byleth, Steve, Sephiroth.) So just to be clear so far on the rules for each pass i have come up with: 1 western request, 1 japan request, the rest are japan characters whose games came out between 2016 and 2018.

now another more simple rule i have noticed SO FAR, is that you dont get the same color background for two characters on the same fighters pass. that is why in my fighter pass 2 prediction post i said either Lloyd, Adol, or Dante would be put into one slot, because they would all share the same background color, red.

So, as i look at fighter pass 2 I look to see what patterns have already been filled and which have not. we have already gotten both our japan and western request characters, being sephiroth and steve. Which means that the rest would need to be japanese characters whose games came out between 2016 and 2018. However, since the list of characters is so small already, sakurai might end up choosing a requested character inadvertently because a few characters have been requested and also have games in that time frame. So, I PAINSTAKINGLY scowered a list of everysingle game that came out during that time to see if there were any japanese characters that could fit the bill and here is what i found.

Lloyd
Adol
Dante
Ragna
Nanashi
Chun Li
Kat
2B

these are all based on the fact that they are characters from companies that have not been included in fighter pass 2. Of course like i explained before, if a character like lloyd got in then Dante, Ragna, and Adol would already be out since they all share the same background color. And if Dante got in that would mean no Chun Li since that would be two companies in the same pass. as for 2b sakurai says she is owned by platinum and not square when you REALLY BOIL IT DOWN. All of these characters are possibilities, but we all know there can only be three.

Attachments

Pillow

Smash Lord

Since last month i have been painstakingly trying to find a pattern in both of the fighter passes that makes sense. Eventually i found some interesting stuff. (Just to be clear none of this stuff is for certain and it is just me speculating based on the pattern I have seen thus far in both passes. I could be completely wrong). I first went and researched every single dlc pass character in ultimate to see if i could find anything at all that stood out. The obvious pattern thus far is that we have one western rep for each pass while the rest have been japanese. I think that is a rule i can stick to for right now. So, that would mean steve was the last western rep. Aside from this i did research on the release date of every characters original game that they came from and noticed that all of them (except for 4) had a release date between 2016 and 2018. Which according to sakurai was the same time he started actually working on ultimate. So he wouldve picked characters from games that came out around that time. From what i have seen sakurai tends to pick characters this way UNLESS, the character was requested by fans. In which case sakurai wil go very far into the past to retrieve that character if he needs to. This is the case for the 4 characters i mentioned before (Banjo, Byleth, Steve, Sephiroth.) So just to be clear so far on the rules for each pass i have come up with: 1 western request, 1 japan request, the rest are japan characters whose games came out between 2016 and 2018.

now another more simple rule i have noticed SO FAR, is that you dont get the same color background for two characters on the same fighters pass. that is why in my fighter pass 2 prediction post i said either Lloyd, Adol, or Dante would be put into one slot, because they would all share the same background color, red.

So, as i look at fighter pass 2 I look to see what patterns have already been filled and which have not. we have already gotten both our japan and western request characters, being sephiroth and steve. Which means that the rest would need to be japanese characters whose games came out between 2016 and 2018. However, since the list of characters is so small already, sakurai might end up choosing a requested character inadvertently because a few characters have been requested and also have games in that time frame. So, I PAINSTAKINGLY scowered a list of everysingle game that came out during that time to see if there were any japanese characters that could fit the bill and here is what i found.

Lloyd
Adol
Dante
Ragna
Nanashi
Chun Li
Kat
2B

these are all based on the fact that they are characters from companies that have not been included in fighter pass 2. Of course like i explained before, if a character like lloyd got in then Dante, Ragna, and Adol would already be out since they all share the same background color. And if Dante got in that would mean no Chun Li since that would be two companies in the same pass. as for 2b sakurai says she is owned by platinum and not square when you REALLY BOIL IT DOWN. All of these characters are possibilities, but we all know there can only be three.
Please DM me the digits of your coke dealer.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Lloyd
Adol
Dante
Ragna
Nanashi
Chun Li
Kat
2B

Wait who the frick is Nanashi

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Alright, I’ve thought it over. And my three new predictions are as follows.

Phoenix Wright
As I’ve said a lot now. AA has massive plans that both Nintendo and Capcom would probably want to promote. And Nick was a popular choice during the Smash 4 Ballot. His biggest issue is that DMC is also
a likely choice

Ryu Hayabusa
I originally had Lloyd and Yuri here. But the shear amount of rumors following Hayabusa and the fact he has so much legacy makes me favor him. It would also fill the quota for a New Company getting a character.

Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma was originally here. But she has quite a few issues that swapped me over to the Hat Goomba. BWD has some plans this year, tons of popularity, and would do good for rounding out Kirbys representation.

Still not entirely confident in this, but I think this is all highly likely

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
-It's possible we could get news as Early as March, if Sega does decide to show up at SXSW, or whatever online Show they have for the event. New Sonic announcements were announced there, including Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. though if not, I'd expect it around June of this year, even if E3 is dead forever

-Sonic and Amy being the main characters does sound kind of weird, but it's not the most far off idea. Amy is one of the mainstays of Sonic I would say, along with Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman, as well as Shadow and Metal Sonic (this is taking into account appearances, especially in recent memory). Plus as you mentioned, we've had 2 Sonics and OC as playable, so yes

I also haven't read the IDW Comics myself, but I have heard that Amy in the comics is based off Boom Amy more than the Amy in the mainline games. I'm also gonna assume that while they might tease Sonamy, they of course won't go through with it since they don't want Sonic tied down

-Unused concepts being used in Future projects I think is just something alot of media does, Not just Sega, so I can buy the Hedgehog ancient civilization thing being re-used for something that would do more with the idea. I wonder if they'll give an interpretation of why Sonic has Super Speed, or will they just leave that open to interpretation

-The New Antagonist being based around the Moon and some Japanese folklore also is something I could buy. I know that Sonic 06 had a theme going on with the Eagle motif all around 06, Including with Solaris, the Big bad of the game

-If we are getting elements from Lost World like the Parkour, I do think that is something that is to be excited about, since it shows that Sega is willing to re-use ideas that were present in some of the more critized games, since I know that's been a huge issue with the franchise.

-If this was real, all these New artifacts being introduced into the series might show that they might be trying to phase out the Chaos Emeralds, or at least not make them as prominent, so I wonder if we won't have Super form present like how it was absent in the Story of Colors, Lost world, and Forces. I also know about that whole statement about "Only Male Hedgehogs can go Super" so I wonder if this game is about the Hedgehog kind, if that will come into play or that will be retconned (Hopefully)

-I know there was speculation about there being New writers (the new voice cast thing is kind of new speculation). Pretty much Pontac and Graff seem not to have updates to their work profiles, which might have implied that they were not hired again by Sega to work on Sonic. I know their writing has been heavily critized, and if Sega really is trying to go into another direction, well you know

-I don't buy the leak entirely. I'm open-minded so I'm willing to give this one some thought however

I do wonder how this coincides with the Adventure 1 and 2 remakes though, since that is a Rumor that's been getting more ground and attention, with even some DM's to prominent Sonic youtubers being shared that come from someone that would apparently have info on the games. I know the Official planflet for the Sonic anniversary had "Sonic games in development" as one of the phrases used, with the S added which implies multiple games and not just one.

Sonic_and_Amy.png
I mean... come oooooooooooooooooooon! Come oooooooooooon they look great together!

Plus, yeah. I'll go there. If Amy wound up in Smash... hehehehehehehe... it'd be like "Amy stalked Sonic and eventually found him in Smash Bros, and joined the battle.... just to be with Sonic"
Amy Creephog.png

Also... eeeeeeyeah. Read the IDW Comics. They're actually really cool for a Sonic fan.

Pillow

Smash Lord
View attachment 300860
I mean... come oooooooooooooooooooon! Come oooooooooooon they look great together!

Plus, yeah. I'll go there. If Amy wound up in Smash... hehehehehehehe... it'd be like "Amy stalked Sonic and eventually found him in Smash Bros, and joined the battle.... just to be with Sonic"
View attachment 300861

Also... eeeeeeyeah. Read the IDW Comics. They're actually really cool for a Sonic fan.
God, Amy is actually the worst character. But this actually fits pretty well.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 300860

View attachment 300861

There's something flipping hilarious about Amy Rose having Sephiroth/Ridley-levels of obsession to follow her target directly into Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Square Enix DID make a horror game series called Nanashi no Game

but uhhhh I don’t think it’s related to this
This amuses me because I believe this directly translates to "no name, no game".

God, Amy is actually the worst character. But this actually fits pretty well.
From what I've seen, she's actually a decent character when they don't stick her in the girlfriend from heck mode.

EDIT: It's just that literally all of the Sonic characters have been flanderized to the point of making them annoying.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
There's something flipping hilarious about Amy Rose having Sephiroth/Ridley-levels of obsession to follow her target directly into Smash.
Bring all the stalkers to Smash. Majima with Kiryu, Nemesis with Jill, Sora with that blue haired guy.

This amuses me because I believe this directly translates to "no name, no game".

From what I've seen, she's actually a decent character when they don't stick her in the girlfriend from heck mode.

EDIT: It's just that literally all of the Sonic characters have been flanderized to the point of making them annoying.
Yeah that's true. I'm not most reliable person to make statements on Sonic characters anyway, since I actively hate the franchise. Like, what sort of crackhead designed Charmy the Bee?

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Amy Rose impales Mega Man and crushes Mario's skull

You're welcome
Amy Rose uses Gigaflare, blows up the entire scenery, slashes away Bayo and Greninja before flying up to Mario to almost ends his life.

In a not so iconic shot.

What the **** has this train of thought become.

Part of the problem is that the Sonic games have just enough continuity between games to make some sense (at least in some cases, like SA1 / SA2 with Heroes / Shadow borrowing elements from those two) but also keep pushing the metaphorical reset button constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a major reason why they keep going back to the same characteristics (like Tails generally being a non-action guy after Unleashed / Colors for some reason).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I actually have no personal connection to the Sonic series. I just thought that, with one character (who has a pretty bad moveset) and only one remixed music track, Sonic was a bit worse represented than other third party franchises (probably because it's Sonic the freakin' Hedgehog). Admittedly it doesn't stick out like Final Fantasy used to.
I don't think the quality of Sonic's moveset has any bearing on the series' level of representation.

there is a very real chance we don't get hayabusa
There's a very real chance I throw you in a wood chipper!

Not sure how likely Kat is, but I'd be fine with this.
If they were actually going to score a Sony character, I can't imagine Kat would be the one they'd go for.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Amy is actually the next biggest Sonic character left after Eggman because Shadow, Knuckles, and Tails are all deconfirmed.
I've always wanted to ask, but is Amy one of your wanted characters, since you had her as your PFP for a long time?

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
THE CURIOUS CASE OF KAT IN SMASH.

8E88B1BE-8CA9-40BB-B4DE-4EB5CCE83857.jpeg

So normally i wouldn’t think twice about this characters chances in smash. But after doing research i might think differently now. So there is really One main issue with this character, in particular with the game she is from. It was a pretty good game that could have sold a good number of copies. but this game had the unfortunate fate of ending up on the vita. Which didn’t sell well. Talk about a bad way to introduce your series. Of course the developers didnt have anyway of knowing how the vita would sell, it was just altogether unfortunate. this release on the vita greatly affected the sales. Only 200,000 copies world wide I believe.
They realized their mistake soon after and decided to release its sequel on PS4, but the damage had already been done. Sales from gravity rush 2 were more or less the same because people didn’t have any clue about the prequel so they didnt feel the need to by the second game. In the end it was the console not the game that killed the poor sales of gravity rush series. however, in the case of the main protaganist, ‘Kat’ being in smash. Its possible, but dont get to worked up. Her last game came out in 2017 which is around the same time sakurai was figuring out who to put in smash ultimate. And more interestingly there is a source gaming article in 2016 (i believe thats the year.) where sakurai talked about the games he had been playing and one of them was Gravity rush. Of course you could say that its simply just one of the games he decided to play, but why would he play such an obscure game with such poor sales even in japan. That is something worth noting. And putting her in smash might be the way to bring her series back alive again and make her relevant. kinda like how sakurai put fire emblem in smash to localize it to western audiences. We will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
View attachment 300860

View attachment 300861

Haven't they pretty much toned down her obessive stalker girlfriend personality over the years?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Let's avoid image only posts

Lloyd
Adol
Dante
Ragna
Nanashi
Chun Li
Kat
2B

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I think a common sentiment is that no Sony character will arrive before Crash Bandicoot, though a lot of their characters would be nice to see.
In do to honestly, but because i am following the pattern i am familiar with/ believe in at the moment. Steve would have been the last western rep based on the patterns i explained. so they would have to opt for a japanese one.

again my belief pattern could be wrong. But thats what im sticking with

7NATOR

Smash Master
Question

Even if Monster Hunter isn't playable, could we still see some type of Challenge mode, similar to the Sephiroth Challenge, where maybe you have to fight a harder version of Rathalos, or maybe they make a New Boss fight against a New Monster

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question

Even if Monster Hunter isn't playable, could we still see some type of Challenge mode, similar to the Sephiroth Challenge, where maybe you have to fight a harder version of Rathalos, or maybe they make a New Boss fight against a New Monster
I’d like to but... idk if it’d happen

I do however see the Challenge mode happening for another playable character

namely some “otherworldly fighter” who pulled something similar in Xenoblade 2...

Tfw the Nopon trader sent you to Smash instead of Alrest

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Byleth was Originally Monster Hunter

no facts to back this up, but it makes alot of since

“According to Dextero, former Game Informer editor Imran Khan shared details about a few Smash characters in a recent ResetEra post. Khan stated that Byleth, the fifth fighterfrom Smash's Fighters Pass Season One, was actually intended to be included in the game's base roster. In addition, the former editor claimed that a good bit of Byleth's moveset was borrowed from another character that didn't make it onto the roster due to negotiations falling through. Fans then began to speculate that this scrapped character was actually someone from Monster Hunter”

Pillow

Smash Lord
In do to honestly, but because i am following the pattern i am familiar with/ believe in at the moment. Steve would have been the last western rep based on the patterns i explained. so they would have to opt for a japanese one.

again my belief pattern could be wrong. But thats what im sticking with
By any chance, have you ever seen the 2008 film "Knowing", starring the greatest actor of our era, Nicholas Cage?

Question

Rathalos is perfectly serviceable as boss content as he is imo. If we're getting more bosses, I'd rather they come from other series. Eggman has been tossed around here a lot recently since Sephiroth's arrival, and I think he would make a good boss if he's not a playable character. I've mentioned this before but a co-op survival mode like cruel melee where we survive against hordes of mook enemies from various series with boss fights in-between would be a really cool addition to Smash.

If they were looking for Monster Hunter content specifically, I'd rather a "full mii costume" of a Palico.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Question

I don’t see that happening, would takes
tons of resources for something that isn’t related to a challenger pack. The only content we’ve gotten that aren’t from challenger packs are Small Battlefied and those modes during FP1. Those all had reasons for being post release content.
Small Battlefield was crazy easy to make.
The modes were all leftovers from the base game.

This new challenge mode would presumably be entirely new, so I can’t see it happening.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Question

Considering that Sephiroth didn't seem to be modified in any way, probably not.

No he wasn't, and no it doesn't. Even if the statement about the situation is true, saying that Byleth was originally supposed to be a different character is inaccurate; Byleth was chosen because Nintendo wanted a character from a new game, not because they couldn't get Monster Hunter, and he only used a loose concept, not any sort of existing moveset.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

“According to Dextero, former Game Informer editor Imran Khan shared details about a few Smash characters in a recent ResetEra post. Khan stated that Byleth, the fifth fighterfrom Smash's Fighters Pass Season One, was actually intended to be included in the game's base roster. In addition, the former editor claimed that a good bit of Byleth's moveset was borrowed from another character that didn't make it onto the roster due to negotiations falling through. Fans then began to speculate that this scrapped character was actually someone from Monster Hunter”
Imran literally prefaced the "leak" by admitting that he wasn't 100% sure about it and flat-out says "Don't trust me." I think it's safe to disregard that "leak."

Last edited:

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Imran literally prefaced the "leak" by admitting that he wasn't 100% sure about it and flat-out says "Don't trust me." I think it's safe to disregard that "leak."
Thats how leaks work. I said there were no facts to back it up

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Haven't they pretty much toned down her obessive stalker girlfriend personality over the years?
Come to think of it, yeah, though I don't think she (or most of the other extended cast members) really does much of anything nowadays. Outside of the Sonic Boom series that is.
The games haven't really given her much to do. Like... Lost World she just kinda was there. Forces she was basically managing The Resistance. Games barely gave her a moment to really be with Sonic. Boom, they absolutely took her obsessiveness down a notch.

The IDW Comics she's largely less obsessive too when she isn't managing The Resistance or "The Restoration" (what the Resistance became after the events of Forces and the first arc of the IDW story)

Though she does still have a moment or two
Amy_admires_Sonic.jpg

And yes, Sonic actually does quote a lyric from "It Doesn't Matter" unironically.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Considering that Sephiroth didn't seem to be modified in any way, probably not.
Actually, they tweaked the damage he deals and takes a little, depending on the difficulty. According to the wiki:
×0.965 damage dealt and ~×1.32 damage received on Easy
×1.325 damage dealt and ~×1.08 damage received on Normal
×1.45 damage dealt and ~×0.84 damage received on Very Hard

Nothing too major, but I think it's a neat little tidbit,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom