• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We also know for a fact they're super ****ing strict on Shadow's portrayal so if he ever got in, it'd be the modern version who's just an asshole instead of the likeable version
I bet you Sakurai would try his hardest to bend this as much as possible though. Perhaps we'd get beginning of Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow instead of post Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) Shadow.

SKX31

Smash Master
As for my personal opinion on the Sonic content...

It's complicated.

Twenty tracks and two stages are fine, but the second stage is an underwhelming choice (which certainly looks like it was chosen with a promotional angle) and the amount of tracks introduced in 4 / Ultimate is a bit on the small side. Not as ludicrous as the 5 years FF spent with the "2 songs" meme, but still small enough to raise an eye. There's a legitimate point to be made that Castlevania and SNK have set the bar for "generous" music licenses and perhaps - if I may be so bold - "spoiled" people, although there are a lot of follow up questions to that as a result.

As for Sonic's moveset, some of my issues with it are also applicable to fellow Brawl newcomer Toon Link - it feels like they're sticking a bit too closely to how Sonic was first implemented, instead of taking the time to try an implement a new B move or whatever. TBF, he did get a new dash attack and adjustments to how the moveset functions overall. Others come from personal frustration with how the character plays (although that might be mostly the online really - we'll have to see when offline tournaments come back in full force). I've warmed up a bit to the moveset since it can certainly be used aggressively, but there are still a couple changes I'd like to see.

Sonic's moveset has never been an issue to me. It reflects his abilities in the games just fine: I think the problem people take with it is probably more related to him being annoying to fight on quickplay lag, and yeah, I get that. However, that's not really a fault of the moveset, it's more of a fault of the online being so poorly made that it gives certain character archetypes like Sonic a perceived advantage when there's lag.
That's certainly the main part of it. Sonic is buffed on Wi-Fi because the online lag / netcode makes a lot of Sonic's moves much more difficult to react to. Competitive people were forced to migrate online due to the lockdown and everything: it's the big reason why there was this wave of dislike heaped at the playstyle a 6 or so months ago (similar to the dislike Min Min's currently facing amongst Japan's competitive scene, although the two examples are a little different).

There are some aspects of the moveset I'd like to see changed, as said before. Two examples:

* If possible, merge Spin Dash / Spin Charge, tweak the merged move so he can access either (but making it a bit less safe) and give him Lightspeed Dash or Boost as a new Side B. It reflects my personal preference towards aggresive play, but giving him one of these would be very interesting potentially commital options. Spin Dash / Spin Charge being two separate moves seems a bit superflous or even a little confusing, even if my opinion on those two have calmed down a bit.

Or:

* Some changes to his aerials. I've seen Sonic Eagle from Sonic Battle used as a F-Air (in Project M for example) and it's a great example of what I mean. Related to that, give him a bit more flair pls.

To be clear, I don't want to neuter the hit-and-run style completely, just tone its presence down a tad and introduce aggresive elements so Sonic can play both more consistently.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Crackpot Smash Ideas: Nether and End biomes have been added to Minecraft World. If Steve gets put to sleep in these biomes, he explodes.
That is amazing, though I think it’d be way funnier if everyone exploded. Sleep moves are the most feared attacks in the game when on the stage.

D

Deleted member

Have we had any major rumors spread around recently? Haven't been keeping up with speculation that much.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
wait if jigglypuff used rest would they explode?
Poor Jigglypuff. Sing is too short ranged to avoid the explosion, and Rest causes it to explode regardless if it hit or not.

Yes, an instant kill making Sing more feared than Rest. Heros Snooze spell would become an extremely rare find that opponents would do anything to escape.
God, I want this now haha.
Funny how a funny attention to detail idea expanded into Sleep: Michael Bay Edition.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Have we had any major rumors spread around recently? Haven't been keeping up with speculation that much.
I wish

no, really

all we got from last year are:
  • League of Legends rep with Trials of Mana Spirit Event (check), League-universe spin-offs coming to consoles (check) and Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix (TBD)
  • Falcom rep (only Adol or Rean, no mention of Estelle) that predicted Cold Steel switch release dates or something
  • 5ch leak that predicted Sephiroth and said KOS-MOS, Reimu Hakurei and Crash Bandicoot were coming and that no DLC mii costumes from 4 would become playable in Ultimate’s DLC. so far this has held up with the Geno costume returning
  • The Chun-Lloyd rumor even though that seems to be for the base game only, no guarantee Chun-li, Lloyd or Yuri Lowell will be DLC
  • EDIT 1/29 I just remembered there’s also a rumor about an Apex Legends character and music in Smash that Nintendo paid for in 2019. However, given that it was only said on a thread in GameFAQs, and the person who said it has no verifiable credibility and there’s not much else to this rumor I’m taking this with not a grain of salt but the entire salt shaker

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Didn't he claim to own the rights to Shade the Echidna, even though that shouldn't be possible? Yeah, he's the worst...

Wait, why are we talking about Sonic again?
I believe it started with musing what Dr. Eggman would come with.

EDIT: Like, songs n' Spirits n' stuff.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, there's one supposedly detailing characters who were negotiated for at some point but didn't turn up in the base game. This includes Erdrick and Steve, who are rumored to and confirmed to be planned for a while. It also elaborated on Squeenix characters; Sora was dropped because Nintendo didn't think it'd feel right to not have Disney content (A bit of a firestarter around here), Geno didn't go through because Square didn't want a character who was most associated with Smash, and Sephiroth just conceded to Hero, which is supposedly why he got in later.

Oh yeah, and at one point they mentioned Chun-Li and both Yuri and Lloyd. The former was supposedly "replaced with Ken somehow" and the latter two just didn't turn up. Each of them were mentioned a grand total of one time, but we make it seem like those two sentences were the entire rumor. Can't help but find that kinda funny.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No, Penders claiming that the game's storyline ripped off his stories and all the echidna characters
I was referring to this:

But like... that shouldn't be possible, right? Like, he could get sued for this? I feel like he shoukd get sued for this...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was referring to this:

But like... that shouldn't be possible, right? Like, he could get sued for this? I feel like he shoukd get sued for this...
It’s ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL taken to a whole new level...

D

Deleted member

I was referring to this:

That sounds like one hell of a case Sega has against him.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that this was ever outright confirmed, just semi-implied by context, but my impression was that the reason we haven't gotten any Sonic remixes for Smash other than the Angel Island Zone one from Brawl is that Sega is only willing to let their own music staff do the remixing so that they fully own the resulting track. Note that said Brawl remix was done by Jun Senoue and is listed as being "composition and arrangement copyright Sega". Contrast that with most Smash remixes where the arrangement is listed as "copyright Nintendo" regardless of who owns the original song.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • Falcom rep (only Adol or Rean, no mention of Estelle) that predicted Cold Steel switch release dates or something
Quick elaboration on this one:
  • It called for ports of CS3 and 4 (confirmed), Ys IX (Also confirmed), and the Crossbell games (Confirmed recently for Asia, which is what got it a surge of attention in the first place)
  • It claims there will be Cold Steel Spirits, though they didn't know if it would be a full board or just and event
  • Adol and Rean are just their predictions; Nothing definitive (And probably going off that Kondo interview a while back)
  • Supposedly comes with 30+ tracks from both Trails and Ys, which is an absolute win

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Didn't he claim to own the rights to Shade the Echidna, even though that shouldn't be possible? Yeah, he's the worst...

Wait, why are we talking about Sonic again?
He took the rights to all of the Archie original Sonic characters. and then used them in his own works as "OC's do not steal" And Shade was caught in the crossfire as Penders said that Shade was too similar to his own characters

And because of that and what he did with the Original Sonic characters (Shipping characters and them having children (including underage ones but don't quote me on that I could be remembering that wrong), creating new family members for them, killing them etc.) SEGA Got a bit annoyed and is now overly cautious with Sonic characters in the comics to avoid another Ken Penders which is honestly understandable

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think that this was ever outright confirmed, just semi-implied by context, but my impression was that the reason we haven't gotten any Sonic remixes for Smash other than the Angel Island Zone one from Brawl is that Sega is only willing to let their own music staff do the remixing so that they fully own the resulting track. Note that said Brawl remix was done by Jun Senoue and is listed as being "composition and arrangement copyright Sega". Contrast that with most Smash remixes where the arrangement is listed as "copyright Nintendo" regardless of who owns the original song.
So it's essentially just harder/more expensive to get Sonic the Hedgehog remixes? Sigh.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
guess not as apparently there was nothing they could do against him

he technically didn't win but he didn't lose either.

SKX31

Smash Master
guess not as apparently there was nothing they could do against him

he technically didn't win but he didn't lose either.
It does, but Sega might've decided that it's not worth the hassle. And really, it's not like Ken has a fan favorite character (or characters) on his hands that he can force Sega's hands with. In order to be into the Lara-Su Chronicles one kinda has to be interested in Sonic-esque stuff to begin with, and it's not like he managed to get much mainstream attention with his own stuff anyway.

I'm speculating, but I'm guessing that's been Sega's strategy regarding the matter post 2015. Especially since Sega greenlit a reboot of the comic with different characters created for the comic specifically.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick elaboration on this one:
  • It called for ports of CS3 and 4 (confirmed), Ys IX (Also confirmed), and the Crossbell games (Confirmed recently for Asia, which is what got it a surge of attention in the first place)
  • It claims there will be Cold Steel Spirits, though they didn't know if it would be a full board or just and event
  • Adol and Rean are just their predictions; Nothing definitive (And probably going off that Kondo interview a while back)
  • Supposedly comes with 30+ tracks from both Trails and Ys, which is an absolute win
For the cold steel spirits, way I see it it would be an event after Adol’s release if Adol is picked, and with Rean’s DLC board if Rean is picked

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
IIRC the Angel Island remix wasn't even specifically made for Smash lmao. It was for a completely separate album.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Long story short on the Penders topic (from what I've researched):

Archie messed up and somehow lost contracts that proved they were in the legal right to use Ken's characters. Had those papers been saved and archived properly, the whole mess would've been an open and shut case and Archie would've won. Most of what happened happened not only because Ken Penders is pretty petty and awful, but also because Archie blew it big time.

However, this isn't really on topic of Smash so it would probably be best for me to leave it there: Don't wanna derail discussion, lol.

On the topic of Sonic and Smash, and what Sega and Sakurai should do...

Put in Honey the Cat, you cowards. :drflip:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
He took the rights to all of the Archie original Sonic characters including Shade. and then used them in his own works as "OC's do not steal"

And because of that and what he did with the Original Sonic characters (Shipping characters and them having children (including underage ones but don't quote me on that I could be remembering that wrong), creating new family members for them, killing them etc.) SEGA Got a bit annoyed and is now overly cautious with Sonic characters in the comics to avoid another Ken Penders which is honestly understandable
Actually, Shade wasn't an Archie original character. She was created specifically for Sonic Chronicles. It's just that Ken is convinced she's a ripoff of one of his characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Long story short on the Penders topic (from what I've researched):

Archie messed up and somehow lost contracts that proved they were in the legal right to use Ken's characters. Had those papers been saved and archived properly, the whole mess would've been an open and shut case and Archie would've won. Most of what happened happened not only because Ken Penders is pretty petty and awful, but also because Archie blew it big time.

However, this isn't really on topic of Smash so it would probably be best for me to leave it there: Don't wanna derail discussion, lol.

On the topic of Sonic and Smash, and what Sega and Sakurai should do...

Put in Honey the Cat, you cowards. :drflip:
Sorry, I'll take the blame for that. This Penders thing really gets to me, and I'm generally pretty hard to upset...

Anyway, Sonic reps, um... make Irish the Hedgehog canon. If not that, then just add Big. Big's a cool guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom