• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I wonder what Sakurai will work on after Ultimate.

I hope it's Kid Icarus.
He will go "I don't want to make games anymore" and then he'll go work at Burger King. Making Double Whoppers and occasionally giggling at a drive thru ice cream gag, finding peace at last in doing so. Occasionally another employee fanboys about "working with Masahiro Sakurai at Burger King" and asks him about Smash, but Sakurai just goes "have a Whopper" and makes that guy a Whopper instead of trade secrets. Occasionally he brings a french fry home to his cat. All in all, he finds peace at the Burger King and lives happily ever after.

I'd buy a Double Whopper made by Sakurai.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
He's not going back to Kid Icarus or especially Kirby lol. There's a reason he left HAL.

Smash Bros. is pretty much the only established series he'll keep working on, and it's mainly just because it gives him the opportunity to work with a whole load of franchises. Because of Smash, he now has the clout of being the guy who has worked with Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Minecraft, Persona, SNK, Dragon Quest, and so forth.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
He's not going back to Kid Icarus or especially Kirby lol. There's a reason he left HAL.

Smash Bros. is pretty much the only established series he'll keep working on, and it's mainly just because it gives him the opportunity to work with a whole load of franchises. Because of Smash, he now has the clout of being the guy who has worked with Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Minecraft, Persona, SNK, Dragon Quest, and so forth.
yeah but we can still hope he goes back to kid icarus though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The project after Smash might not even be associated with Nintendo. Sakurai is freelance, and what kept bringing him back to Nintendo was Iwata.

I'm sure he'll be courted by all manner of company when this wraps up, and he'll probably end up going to the place that affords him the greatest freedom and artistic control. Or the highest paycheque. Either way, that's not necessarily Nintendo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

He didn't do Uprising with HAL, he built his own team to do that game.

And if Smash is all that a guy as talented as Sakurai is going to make until he retires... that'd be pretty sad.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Sakurai being a freelance game developer means he's just as likely to return to Nintendo for another game as he is to make a game for Burger King! That's right! Burger King! Getting back into video games! First with an HD remaster of Sneak King, and then an ALL NEW BURGER KING game made by Sakurai himself, and in the name of true creative freedom, Sakurai gets to "have it his way". It is through this possible future that Burger King becomes so successful that they become a player in the console race with the newest console "The King"... with MORE exclusive games designed by Masahiro Sakurai.

Freelance, am I right?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
He didn't do Uprising with HAL, he built his own team to do that game.

And if Smash is all that a guy as talented as Sakurai is going to make until he retires... that'd be pretty sad.
I'm aware. The HAL bit was directed at people suggesting he'd work on Kirby again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Whenever you're making a game, there are always ideas that have to be left on the cutting room floor, which often find their way into sequels. This has certainly been true of Smash. I'm sure Sakurai had that occur when making Uprising, and could incorporate those elements into a sequel.

The question is just whether he has interest in a follow-up. And also if Nintendo has interest in a follow-up. And whether they'd let Sakurai make a follow-up even if they don't have interest in a follow-up, because it's Sakurai. And I think the answers to that, unfortunately, are no, no, and yes.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Everyone here trying to read Sakurai is all for naught.
If he wants to go back to Kirby he’ll go back to Kirby.
If he wants to return to Kid Icarus he’ll return to Kid Icarus.
Hell, the guy almost made a Star Fox game before landing on KI.
Sakurai does what Sakurai wants, hes got so much clout theres no shot in hell anyones gonna stop him.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
With his views on sequels and such, I'd say it's more likely that his next project will be a new IP if not Super Smash Bros. again, and if isn't it'll be whatever fits his new idea best just like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. A sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising is probably the least likely new project for him to take up.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
That's a suspect claim considering when negotiations for Ryu, if not Cloud and Bayo, would've started.

Considering Bayo was in the data in April, which is the month Mewtwo released, it seems like development on all seven did overlap, at least at some stage for each. And given the ten month period between Bayo being in the data and being released, her negotiations would've taken place even earlier. Perhaps a year before she released. So considering Ryu released in June, it's definitely suspect that in November, when that interview is from, they weren't already planning for more.

Remember Sakurai also said Bayo was included due to ballot results. Which isn't true. And that he'd never been turned down for characters. Which isn't true. So you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Though tbf the stuff he's been dishonest about is usually behind the scenes stuff that typically can't be verified, and we have to take on good faith. Something like saying the DLC is to end at a certain point is different.
I mean, the claim is suspect as hell, but the thing is that he directly said that they were not working on paid DLC when Mewtwo was revealed. Either he is playing fast and loose with the truth or plans change that quickly. Given we know Mewtwo was released in April and that is when Bayo was started to be worked on based on the data we have, I think its the former.

I will say this, Sakurai clearly loves working on Smash. I mean, he is working on the biggest crossover in gaming. I personally as of now lean towards FP3 being a thing that happens, but I could be wrong.

With his views on sequels and such, I'd say it's more likely that his next project will be a new IP if not Super Smash Bros. again, and if isn't it'll be whatever fits his new idea best just like with Kid Icarus: Uprising. A sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising is probably the least likely new project for him to take up.
If I had to guess what project he would choose to pursue after Smash that is not smash, I would guess something else that he can remake and push into the limelight. Custom Robo, Murasame Castle, something like that in Nintendo's backloge.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Everyone here trying to read Sakurai is all for naught.
If he wants to go back to Kirby he’ll go back to Kirby.
If he wants to return to Kid Icarus he’ll return to Kid Icarus.
Hell, the guy almost made a Star Fox game before landing on KI.
Sakurai does what Sakurai wants, hes got so much clout theres no shot in hell anyones gonna stop him.
"lol look at all these dudes speculating. Don't they know they ain't gonna be right?"

Just as with on-topic discussion, that's not really the point.

EDIT: I probably should have worded that less rude. I apologize for that.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's possible Mewtwo was perhaps in the Same situation as Fighter Pass 1

They might have intially been the only DLC, and the other characters that we got for DLC (The rest of Smash 4 DLC and Fighter Pass 2) might have been saved for the next game, but perhaps because of the sales of DLC, DLC development was allowed to continue to include those characters in that game now instead of later

I guess that also goes along with the theory of certain characters like Cloud and Ryu being negotiated for both Smash 4 and Ultimate at the same time, since that would have to happen if this theory is true

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
"lol look at all these dudes speculating. Don't they know they ain't gonna be right?"

Just as with on-topic discussion, that's not really the point.

EDIT: I probably should have worded that less rude. I apologize for that.
No worries, I probably should’ve worded what I said better. What I mean is that setting down any concrete rule like “Sakurais not gonna come back to Kirby” is dumb. Speculating on his next move is fine by me.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It still wouldn't surprise me much if we got an FP3 or even just a couple additional fighters. Idk, I guess it's just the whole way that a lot of Sakurai statements have been wishy-washy. No Villager or Miis because they wouldn't work as fighters, Ridley too big, Mewtwo as the only DLC. We've seen a good handful of contradictions. Sakurai also has yet to say "This is it!" in a definitive manner as far as his videos are concerned. While I am expecting FP2 to be the end, I kinda feel like more DLC has a decent shot of happening.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It still wouldn't surprise me much if we got an FP3 or even just a couple additional fighters. Idk, I guess it's just the whole way that a lot of Sakurai statements have been wishy-washy. No Villager or Miis because they wouldn't work as fighters, Ridley too big, Mewtwo as the only DLC. We've seen a good handful of contradictions. Sakurai also has yet to say "This is it!" in a definitive manner as far as his videos are concerned. While I am expecting FP2 to be the end, I kinda feel like more DLC has a decent shot of happening.
That sounds like it's going to be a judgement call on Sakurai's end. One way I could see additional characters or FP3 okayed is if Sakurai / Furukawa had a number of additional characters they're interested in and feel that the extra dev time is worth it.

Either way, I can't see development ending abruptly after the last character: Sakurai would probably want to avoid a :metaknight: / :popo: or :4bayonetta: / :4cloud: situation and greenlight at least a couple balance patches after the last character.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That sounds like it's going to be a judgement call on Sakurai's end. One way I could see additional characters or FP3 okayed is if Sakurai / Furukawa had a number of additional characters they're interested in and feel that the extra dev time is worth it.

Either way, I can't see development ending abruptly after the last character: Sakurai would probably want to avoid a :metaknight: / :popo: or :4bayonetta: / :4cloud: situation and greenlight at least a couple balance patches after the last character.
What if they do indeed decide to go back and tweak some modes as well?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Definitely hoping for balance patches after the last character! While the DLC characters have been well-balanced thus far to the point that even the best ones aren't unbeatably overwhelming, there is still the worry that one of the last characters will be meta-breaking.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'm still expecting to see more echoes. Sakurai made up an entirely new term for clones in Ultimate, only to add five of them. I've never seen the community so down with getting characters that are blatantly low effort. Impa, Octolings, Rock Howard, Shadow, they could get some really big names with minimal dev time.

The way they randomly added Small Battlefield last year makes me believe that randomly dropping an echo pack isn't all that unlikely.
I'd love to see Sakurai developing a true fighting game. I remember Maximilian Dude joking about Sakurai being the one who could make an excelent sequel to Capcom vs. SNK 2 during Terry's presentation and i still think the idea is awesome. Sakurai knows the basis of fighting games like no one.
I loved Max's reaction to Terry. I remember him being super jealous that Smash fans get exactly what every other fighting game fan wants - they just want the developers to give a ****. The recent KoF XV trailers have been particularly disheartening. Sakurai taking on a project like that could really bring SNK back to the forefront. I did really like Sam Sho, but it definitely could have been a lot more than it was.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd love to see Sakurai developing a true fighting game. I remember Maximilian Dude joking about Sakurai being the one who could make an excelent sequel to Capcom vs. SNK 2 during Terry's presentation and i still think the idea is awesome. Sakurai knows the basis of fighting games like no one.
Hot take: while I do agree with Max that it would be awesome to see that... I'm not so sure Sakurai would like it.

You gotta remember that while Sakurai is a big FG nut and an arcade kid, his design philosophy is very much not the same as what you'd expect (or maybe even want) when developing a traditional fighting game.

In fact, an arcade experience where he completely trashed a newbie player at KoF is pretty much one of the things he credits for wanting to make Smash more accessible. So if Sakurai ever went for a traditional fighter, I'm not sure it would be something like CvS. In fact, it's arguably more likely he'd want to develop another beginner-friendly fighter.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I can't imagine Nintendo wouldn't be interested in an Uprising sequel if Sakurai was helming it. It sold pretty well on the 3DS, especially for what was for most people a new franchise. And interest in it has only grown since then.
I mean yeah, if Sakurai asked for it, they'd probably greenlight it. Problem is is that well, he just doesn't want to lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom