• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't even have autocorrect lmao I'm a dumbass

Yeah, what drives me up the wall is that Alucard has so much, the guy used the bat and mist forms, so he could have used the wolf. He could have used a special move instead of making it a ****ing throw, he could have used one of the items Alucard can use in combat, something with the shield rod, a Soul Steal command grab which Dracula's used in the series or even one of the many subweapons not used by the Belmonts but just 'lmao holy water'. There was the garlic, the knife, the diamond, the stopwatch and the bible subweapons to draw from too goddammit
If Alucard absolutely needs a subweapon, I'd go with the Agunea or Vibhuti, seeing as those actually debuted in SoTN

SKX31

Smash Master
So, now that it's been 1 full month since Sephiroth's release, what do you all think about when we'll get news on the next character? March seems to be the most common date I see given.
Thinking Late February / early March too... but it could be a bit further down the timeline if they have another ".1" patch that includes an additional new stage, more attempts to allieviate the infamously bad online or other stuff like that. 8.1. included Small Battlefield and a small attempt to improve online 1v1s, and that patch was released in August - at the midway point between Min Min and Steve.

For his Down Special, Alucard holds a bible and burns to ash. This uses a stock and does nothing else. :4pacman:
Ah yes, the ultimate Disrespect move. :4pacman:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So, now that it's been 1 full month since Sephiroth's release, what do you all think about when we'll get news on the next character? March seems to be the most common date I see given.
Everyone pretty much agrees on March.

Especially given amiibo theory and how a new batch is announced every three months.

erzak

Smash Rookie
So I just finished binging the Portal series, and I noticed in the credits that someone is credited for Chell's likeness. Hopefully that wouldn't cause any severe rights issues on the off chance they do decide to try and add her.
I think Chell could be a really fun character to play as. Especially if her gimmick was shooting portals, I found a video about her moves if anyone is interested.

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
He's an absolute HEAVEN WHO MADE AN ALUCARD MOVESET WHERE HE JUST *ING COPIES THE BELMONTS WITH ONE OF HIS MOVES HOLY * WHAT THE ACTUAL **** WAS THE REASONING BEHIND THAT AS YOU COULD HAVE GIVEN HIM LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE.

ahem

He makes quirky movesets, some for big commonly talked about characters, small ones who barely get discussed and a literal slice of bread. He's creative outside of the Alucard **** if nothing else
i've occasionally tried to watch their videos, but i've not been too impressed. the ones i watched, i got bored part way through the normals; might of just been looking at some of their worse videos

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If we're getting more DLC after Fighter Pass 2 then we'll probably hear about it in the Fighter 9 presentation. I hope it happens because please Sakurai just one more DLC then I'm good, maybe one more after that one but after that I won't ask for any more, I promise!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we're getting more DLC after Fighter Pass 2 then we'll probably hear about it the Fighter 9 presentation. I hope it happens because please Sakurai just one more DLC then I'm good, maybe one more after that one but after that I won't ask for any more, I promise!
Seems accurate, they announced more fighters with Terry (FP4). The final Smash 4 reveal was a double too

though patterns can always be broken

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know voice theory and slots theory are technically dead

but CSS Theory has to have some merit to it (that’s the one discovered by a modder that the CSS can only hold 91 characters before crashing)

if that’s a hardware related issue somehow I can see 91 being our max fighter count including unstacked echoes. We’d be at 88 at this pass’s end

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Wasn't it officially stated that FP2 was the last fighter pass? I could definitely see standalone DLC fighters like Smash 4, but I don't think they'd make such a statement unless they really planned not to make a FP3.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I know voice theory and slots theory are technically dead

but CSS Theory has to have some merit to it (that’s the one discovered by a modder that the CSS can only hold 91 characters before crashing)

if that’s a hardware related issue somehow I can see 91 being our max fighter count including unstacked echoes. We’d be at 88 at this pass’s end
The problem with this theory is that it doesn't actually mean anything. It doesn't matter that they can't go over 91 because they've already said this is the last pass.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is there like a catalogue of all of Sakurai's interviews? I want to check the FP2 ones to clarify his statements on post-FP2 DLC. Just settle the debates once and for all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't it officially stated that FP2 was the last fighter pass? I could definitely see standalone DLC fighters like Smash 4, but I don't think they'd make such a statement unless they really planned not to make a FP3.
Only in a famitsu column, and just “no plans at the moment”. It would only count in a video presentation IMO

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I believe the statement was from when FP2 was first announced. I think it might've been the Byleth reveal, but I'm not sure.
I don’t think he made any mention of that in Steve or Sephiroth’s columns at least, when FP2 was already selling

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don’t think he made any mention of that in Steve or Sephiroth’s columns at least, when FP2 was already selling
Yeah, because he wouldn't need to. They're in the middle of the pass, not the beginning or before. It's not like he's gonna go "FP2 IS THE END GUYS" in every interview, especially when he's already said it before.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, I hope you're right and that they just claimed they're unsure (which actually would lead me to believe we ARE getting a FP3 because who doesn't love money?) I went to look up where I thought I saw the statement from, and it was around 35 minutes into the Byleth Direct. I can't listen to it while I'm at work, so I'm not sure exactly what he says but the statement I'm thinking of is from that video.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, I hope you're right and that they just claimed they're unsure (which actually would lead me to believe we ARE getting a FP3 because who doesn't love money?) I went to look up where I thought I saw the statement from, and it was around 35 minutes into the Byleth Direct. I can't listen to it while I'm at work, so I'm not sure exactly what he says but the statement I'm thinking of is from that video.
While I’m at it, during smash 4 Sakurai at one point said Mewtwo was the ONLY planned DLC:

Clearly leaves the door open while still telling the truth...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Did some searching and I found the interview.
"There are only 5 more DLC fighters! After they have been released, the continuous Smash development from Smash for 3DS/Wii U will finally come to an end." Sounds pretty definitive to me. Looks like FP2 is it; After that, we're done. Better enjoy 'em while they last.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Now what I wonder is why this information is locked behind resources only available in Japan. You'd think Nintendo would specify it for the "oooh who's it gonna be?" factor. That'd draw a crowd who might not have been terribly interested in it otherwise.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
"There are only 5 more DLC fighters! After they have been released, the continuous Smash development from Smash for 3DS/Wii U will finally come to an end." Sounds pretty definitive to me. Looks like FP2 is it; After that, we're done. Better enjoy 'em while they last.
Erm. This is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Did some searching and I found the interview.
3DS/Wii U
...oops?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Erm. This is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...
He's referring to the development that's been going on since SSB4; He's been working at Smash ever since then and the development for that pretty much segued into SSBU. It's emphasizing that he's been working at it for a while and now he's finally going to be done.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
...is it not common knowledge that the Smash team hasn't stopped development since 2011-2012? All of the whole block of 4, 3DS and Wii U both, and Ultimate have been in the same bunch of development. Development won't technically even end this year, as there's still future balance patches (though that's the skeleton crew of the skeleton crew of the skeleton crew) or bugfix updates to consider.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
While I’m at it, during smash 4 Sakurai at one point said Mewtwo was the ONLY planned DLC:
That's a suspect claim considering when negotiations for Ryu, if not Cloud and Bayo, would've started.

Considering Bayo was in the data in April, which is the month Mewtwo released, it seems like development on all seven did overlap, at least at some stage for each. And given the ten month period between Bayo being in the data and being released, her negotiations would've taken place even earlier. Perhaps a year before she released. So considering Ryu released in June, it's definitely suspect that in November, when that interview is from, they weren't already planning for more.

Remember Sakurai also said Bayo was included due to ballot results. Which isn't true. And that he'd never been turned down for characters. Which isn't true. So you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Though tbf the stuff he's been dishonest about is usually behind the scenes stuff that typically can't be verified, and we have to take on good faith. Something like saying the DLC is to end at a certain point is different.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Has there ever been a situation in which we've known only one last newcomer is coming? That's the situation we'll be in with Challenger Pack #11 after #10 drops, or as soon as we know who #10 is.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has there ever been a situation in which we've known only one last newcomer is coming? That's the situation we'll be in with Challenger Pack #11 after #10 drops, or as soon as we know who #10 is.
Unless 10 and 11 are a double reveal, in which case we’d know either way by 9.

the only time I remember them doing a final presentation announcement was in 4 shortly after cloud

Pillow

Smash Lord
When the Bayonetta trailer dropped, they said it was definitively the last DLC happening for Smash 4.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
No no, I think you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. We've had situations where we knew all the cast beforehand. But I don't think we've ever been at a point in time in which only one can happen.

I'm saying "has there ever been a situation in which every character competes with each other because only one can happen"?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No no, I think you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. We've had situations where we knew all the cast beforehand. But I don't think we've ever been at a point in time in which only one can happen.

I'm saying "has there ever been a situation in which every character competes with each other because only one can happen"?
Ohhhhhh.

to my knowledge, no.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m gonna be completely honest here, I don’t think Sakurai saying theres no DLC after FP2 means anything.
I mean, people have lied about Smash stuff before. Grant Kirkhope, for example, literally tried to throw people off the scent of Banjo.
It really doesn’t seem all to far fetched to me that Sakurai would BS a statement to surprise people.
That said, I’m still not sure any DLC after FP2 is happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom