• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Last edited:
So the burning question:

If Hayabusa were to get into Smash, what would his character tile say on the character select screen? As in, what would the announcer say when you pick him? Would he be "RYU HAYABUSA!" or "HAYABUSA!" or "RYU H!" or just "RYU!" I know there's another Ryu in Smash, but I feel like the full "Ryu Hayabusa" is a bit of a mouthful and we already know that having two "Roys" isn't a problem, so would they just have two "Ryus"?

Either way, my Greninja eagerly awaits his chance to prove himself the superior ninja...
I don't think either Roy has a last name to use unless you get nitpicky with Roy Koopa.

I'd go with the full Ryu Hayabusa, mostly because Street Fighter owns the name Ryu in my head and calling a character by only their surname in Smash doesn't feel right to me (assuming they have a first name to begin with).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think either Roy has a last name to use unless you get nitpicky with Roy Koopa.
Yeah, all of the Koopalings have the last name of Koopa, but they aren't typically used.

Interestingly, Wendy and Morton have longer full names with Wendy O. Koopa and Morton Koopa Jr. respectively.

I also thought Ludwig's full name was Ludwig Von Koopa but that's not a thing it seems.

EDIT: Honestly it would have been pretty funny if they all had different middle names and suffixes and such for no reason.

Doesn't Dead or Alive typically just call him "Hayabusa"?

It rolls easily off the tongue too, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they go with that.
Probably. I hope they don't though.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
R.O.B is also a first party character who has literally no licensing issues the way somebody like Goku or Batman would.

I can't imagine Strider Hiryu being particularly tough to get, though I don't know much about the franchise.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1. Blaze
2. Inteleon
3. Pauline
4. Amitie or Arle
5. Susie
6. Estelle

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1. Big the Cat (I wanted to say Irish the Hedgrhog, but it might be better to wait and see if he makes a game appearance)
2. Intellion (Water starters FTW)
3. Fawful
4. Puyo Puyo (don't know any characters)
5. Bandana Waddle Dee
6. Billy Hatcher (LET ME DREAM)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1. Tails
2. Calyrex
3. Pauline
4. Arle
5. Adeline
6. Elma do you even have to ask

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
Dr Eggman
Eevee
Waluigi
Arle (I don’t know much about the series besides her)
Magolor
Master Chief

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Another little game:
My Pick:
  1. Cream the Rabbit
  2. Chandelure
  3. Paper Mario
  4. Maguro
  5. Idk, Daroach
  6. Reimu

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Another little game:
Fun Game:
1. Dr. Robotnik
2. Darkrai
3. Waluigi
4. Arle
5. Dark Matter
6. Phoenix Wright

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not really since he was originally designed as a book character before CD Projekt Red got the rights to make a game.

However, I've always had the belief that what form of media the character is most notable in was the real factor when it comes to what Sakurai sees as "gaming content".

Geralt is far more known from the Witcher games than the original book, so he'd qualify despite his non-gaming origins. The problem when be getting the rights for it since they'd need the approval of both Projekt and the original author, something Nintendo and/or Sakurai might not see as worth doing.
I don't think so. I think that including any character who did not debut as a video game would ruin the integrity of Smash, even if they are more known as a video game.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1.Tails
2.Sceptile
3.Toad
4.Arle
5.Bandana Dee
6.Crash

Well, you can tell that to Sakurai.
I don't think he explictly said they have to be originally from a video game, rather they have to be meaningful to video games rather than just being in a video game as what is pretty much merchandising.

people that say strider can't get in would say tomato couldn't get in if smash bros was about vegetables

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I am starting to feel that if we do get a Capcom character, it's gonna be an out of left field pick like Amaterasu or Arthur from Ghost n Goblins.
That'd be a very Capcom move considering their crossovers give a lot of love to series that otherwise don't get ****.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Another little game:
  1. Eggman
  2. Scizor
  3. Fawful
  4. Arle
  5. Dark Matter
  6. Chosen Undead

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
.hack's anime came out like, a month or two before the game, so it's very likely a similar situation to Strider or Halo.

Yes, Halo is in that camp and you don't see people shut down Master Chief because "his franchise started as a novel"
20210122_082936.jpg

It says right here.

"The official prequel to the award-winning Xbox game!"

Master Chief was already conceived way before the author started writing the first novel. There was already gameplay demo featuring him before that. The novel took 7 months to completion before release. Therefore, novel was meant to supplement the game first and foremost.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1. I'm honestly torn between Tails and Eggman, but between the two, I think Eggman would be more interesting.
2. I'm roughly twenty years out of date when it comes to Pokemon (I've started Pokemon Y, but I don't even have Mega Evolution yet), so Grovyle? Gen. 3 didn't get much, and I think Grovyle has a major role in one of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. (plus, it was my preferred Gen. 3 starter)
3. Geno.
4. I know nothing about Puyo Puyo, so Arle?
5. If it's possible for me to get some kind of composite between its swordsman and normal forms, Dark Matter. (I'm not sure how well the normal form would work on its own, but the swordsman form isn't as recognizable) If not, then Bandanna Waddle Dee.
6. Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Another little game:
Sonic: the popgun rat
Pokemon: Ledian
Mario: Toad
Puyo Puyo: Idk, the bear scientist
Kirby: Bandana Dee
My pick: a Bravely Default character. Doesn't matter which. They're all good. Magnolia, though, please.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are a few exceptions or probable exceptions to the "originate in a video game" rule. One seems to be if you're a Nintendo product in general. Though tbf, things like ROB and Super Scope are still peripherals; gaming products even if not software or hardware.

Another is you can debut in another medium if that material's purpose is to tie into a game, even if the game arrives later. Like Lucario, Togepi, or, probably, Strider.

The last is if a gaming universe has a specific incarnation of a public domain character or a real life person. Like Castlevania's Dracula, Kid Icarus' Medusa, and, probably Codename STEAM's Lincoln.

Those seem acceptable. The grey area begins with characters who debuted in video games, but in a series that didn't begin as a gaming one, like Android 21, Starkiller, Aya Brea, or V, from Cyberpunk. I suspect that they would avoid series that are not known primarily as gaming series, like the former two, while the latter two are likelier from a theoretical perspective, as most people, to my knowledge, associate Parasite Eve and Cyberpunk with the game(s).

And that raises the question of someone like Geralt, who did not debut in a game. I know the Witcher games are bigger than the books, and I know they take liberties... but at the end of the day, Geralt is a character who debuted in literature, not gaming, and Witcher began as a literary series, not gaming. He's also a grey area, but I would lean closer towards him being ineligible.

That also throws a character like Hatsune Miku into consideration, who debuted in not a game, but what is still digital software. I'd say she's the biggest grey area. It could go either way, but if you're being strictly literal, Vocaloid isn't a game, and she wouldn't qualify.

Things like Tamagotchi are games though, albeit very rudimentary ones, so they and Digimon would qualify.

That's where I stand on all these more complicated cases.

Pillow

Smash Lord
1. Eggman
2. Rotom
3. Paper Mario
4. Arle
5. Bandana Dee
6. Kiryu Kazuma

That also throws a character like Hatsune Miku into consideration, who debuted in not a game, but what is still digital software. I'd say she's the biggest grey area. It could go either way, but if you're being strictly literal, Vocaloid isn't a game, and she wouldn't qualify.
Yeah but Miku in Smash would be hilarious and awesome. Just dual announce her at E3 with Master Chief or something to quell all the anime haters.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
That'd be a very Capcom move considering their crossovers give a lot of love to series that otherwise don't get ****.
I mean...it's true, but at the same time, not really. Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3, definitely. No doubt about it. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite...not really.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
Piece of cake:
  1. Tails (first video game character I ever played as)
  2. Meowth and Team Rocket
  3. Captain Toad (Most wanted, no brainer)
  4. It has to be Arle really
  5. Bandana Waddle Dee...or Gooey. (Tough choice. I love both. Should be Dee though.)
  6. Chris Redfield, specifically Resident Evil 8 Chris who they seem to be hinting is going to transform into a god damn werewolf?!? I am ON BOARD.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
Chaos
Toxtricity