• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
In the same vein as what 7NATOR did a bit ago, how would you feel if these were the new DLC?
Phoenix Wright
Lloyd Irving or Yuri
A promotional pick from Pokemon
Similarly, these are my predictions.
If we got Phoenix and Lloyd or Yuri it would be fantastic. I’m not excited about a Pokémon, but at that point I’d already have gotten two of my most wanted characters so I’d be fine with it

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If I had to add Eevee, here's how I'd do it. Eevee is a very basic fighter, but it has a meter. It goes in one direction if you use a lot of normals, grabs and smashes, but the other if you make heavy use of specials and aerials. If the meter is filled all the way in the first way, it becomes Umbreon, and if in the second it becomes Espeon. All 3 of them are semiclones of eachother, but Umbreon has more powerful normals and grabs and Espeon has better aerials. Umbreon has unique smash attacks, and Espeon unique specials.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
In the same vein as what 7NATOR did a bit ago, how would you feel if these were the new DLC?
Phoenix Wright
Lloyd Irving or Yuri
I'd love Phoenix
I'd love a Pokemon
I'd Be Okay with Yuri
If it is Lloyd i'd be less okay and more bored.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm not looking forward to this thread when Unite releases.

Tencent's the kind of company where they are going to go big on advertising (they started out as a social media company, it comes with the territory), so people will no doubt know when it releases.
On the other hand... I'm looking forward to Unite releasing. Considering Tencent hasn't dropped their ball with HoK, I'm expecting this to have at least a decent amount of long-term support.

[Garchomp with a ****ing snorkle]

Okay, the employee that came up with that deserves a pay raise. S tier costume. :p
I guess you could say you... dig it.

But on an interesting note, having two of the costumes being summer-themed (Garchomp's and Machamp's) is leading people to speculate that Unite will release close to summer, as these things are usually made into events, like in LoL.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know, on the subject of Pokemon, what about another trainer? Except one of the more prominent ones, like Giovanni, N or Cynthia? I mean, some of the trainers themselves are popular in their own right.

Sure, if they do the swap mechanic again, it wouldn't exactly be anything new, but it doesn't mean that they can't have their own unique twist. Like maybe 2 Pokemon to switch between with a gimmick based around Double Battles from Pokemon, like Specials utilising both Pokemon or a Partner mechanic similar to Marvel vs Capcom where the other Pokemon can be called out to do an attack to help the Pokemon in play?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I got Isabelle and Byleth so I'm confident that this pass will have a "first-party newcomer that I root for but will make the internet mad" towards the end. So a Gen 8 Pokemon wouldn't surprise me.

You know, on the subject of Pokemon, what about another trainer? Except one of the more prominent ones, like Giovanni, N or Cynthia? I mean, some of the trainers themselves are popular in their own right.

Sure, if they do the swap mechanic again, it wouldn't exactly be anything new, but it doesn't mean that they can't have their own unique twist. Like maybe 2 Pokemon to switch between with a gimmick based around Double Battles from Pokemon, like Specials utilising both Pokemon or a Partner mechanic similar to Marvel vs Capcom where the other Pokemon can be called out to do an attack to help the Pokemon in play?
Seeing how Joker was implemented makes me doubt we'll get another two/three-in-one moveset, tbh. I think even if we end up getting a trainer as DLC, I find it more likely for them to team up with one Pokemon at most. Which can be interesting, depending on how it's done.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix Wright
Lloyd Irving or Yuri
I think Phoenix Wright would be great.
Lloyd I'm torn on. I really like the character but if he gets a spot instead of Isaac I know I'll be disappointed.
I don't know anthing about Yuri so neutral there.
I would hate another Pokemon at this point.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean, he’s not exactly wrong. With a Gen 8 Pokemon already being disconfirmed, it doesn’t seem likely we are getting a Pokemon as DLC. Could it happen? Sure, but I’d doubt it.
The thing that makes me doubt a Gen 8 pokemon in DLC is that a new playable pokemon rep is also released with generation respective Pokeball summons like:

Melee: Pichu playable with Gen 2 Pokeball summons
Brawl: Lucario playable with Gen 4 Pokeball summons
Smash 4: Greninja playable with Gen 6 Pokeball summons
Ultimate: Incineroar playable with Gen 7 Pokeball summons

If a Gen 8 Pokemon were to be released as DLC, it'd be the first new generation pokemon to be released without new Pokeball summons to represent that generation.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
The thing that makes me doubt a Gen 8 pokemon in DLC is that a new playable pokemon rep is also released with generation respective Pokeball summons like:

If a Gen 8 Pokemon were to be released as DLC, it'd be the first new generation pokemon to be released without new Pokeball summons to represent that generation.
Unless Sakurai pulls a funny of course.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Phoenix Wright
Lloyd Irving or Yuri
Well let's see, I love Ace Attorney and made a fan moveset for Phoenix Wright out of love for the character,
I love Tales of Vesperia and made a fan moveset for Yuri out of love for the character and I'm playing through Symphy right now and the absolute scourge of the earth. I'd say that plus Steve earlier in the pass makes it overall a satisfying end of DLC for me but I would be stink eyeing that last roster slot nastily on the select screen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I don't want a Gen 8 mon myself, but is that any worse than having to wait a game for Guile and Rodin ATs?
I once thought Elesa could have something where you must hit with Volt Switch to switch out.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

By your logic, we would’ve gotten a Gen 3 rep in Brawl because there were also Gen 3 summons, and a Gen 5 rep in Sm4sh because there were also Gen 5 summons.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Tbf, it's not like they've been adding extra pokeballs/assists as dlc in the first place.

I'm not even expecting a gen 8 mon at this point, but this feels like a really weird and oddly specific reasoning.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't want a Gen 8 mon myself, but is that any worse than having to wait a game for Guile and Rodin ATs?
I mean I don't know if it matters to the Pokemon company but they seem pretty restrictive with how Pokemon is represented and Smash has lots of reservations made for them. The only DLC Pokemon character we've got so far is Mewtwo and he's a veteran who represents an already represented generation.

If a Gen 8 Pokemon does not become playable in DLC, I'd chalk it up to the Pokemon company wanting new Pokeball summons for the generation as well as a character.

By your logic, we would’ve gotten a Gen 3 rep in Brawl because there were also Gen 3 summons, and a Gen 5 rep in Sm4sh because there were also Gen 5 summons.
Except I never said anything about not representing a previous generation.

Tbf, it's not like they've been adding extra pokeballs/assists as dlc in the first place.

I'm not even expecting a gen 8 mon at this point, but this feels like a really weird and oddly specific reasoning.
I don't understand what the problem is. Each new generation of pokemon of the year gets a character and Pokeball summons to go along with them. How is that explanation weird?

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh yeah, you know…disconfirmed by the 7 out of literally 89 Galar-original Pokémon we got as Spirits, apparently.
Never really got this logic, TBH. So what, does the spirit event have to have included every single Galar 'mon for Gen 8 to be considered out of the running? With other spirit events, even if they didn't cover every notable character, they were still agreed to be a critical hit (heh) towards these characters. The point still stands that if they were going to include Gen 8 in Pass 2, then why did they do a Gen 8 spirit event around the time FP2 was finalized in the first place? Wouldn't they have just saved those spirits for the playable 'mon's board?

What I really want to know is why are people still so insistent on a Gen 8 Pokemon despite literally every other spirit event being generally agreed upon to be a disconfirmation? What makes it any special!?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I mean I don't know if it matters to the Pokemon company but they seem pretty restrictive with how Pokemon is represented and Smash has lots of reservations made for them. The only DLC Pokemon character we've got so far is Mewtwo and he's a veteran who represents an already represented generation.

If a Gen 8 does not become playable in DLC, I'd chalk it up to the Pokemon company wanting new Pokeball summons for the generation as well as a character.

Except I never said anything about not representing a previous generation.
The problem here is that we've only had two rounds of Smash DLC and only one has overlapped with a new Generation that could provide new Pokemon so we can't say for certain that TCPi absolutely wants summons to go along with a character. It's entirely possible they'd be fine with a Gen 8 Pokemon coming without them, particularly since the draw of a playable character is still pretty huge on its own (just look at Incineroar coming without a new stage unlike previous games).

Dragalia doesn’t have a European release. There are other gachas in Europe but the main point against Euden is that if you live in Europe his game isn’t going to be on the App Store. Gachas aren’t banned entirely in the region but there are much more laws restricting loot boxes which is likely why Nintendo and Cygames haven’t bothered publishing it there.
Gachas are indeed banned here in Belgium. I cannot download Fire Emblem Heroes, Pokémon Masters and even Animal Crossing Pocket Camp here legally, though luckily there are simple workarounds to this (I have a Japanese phone anyway). But even though these anti-lootbox and anti-gacha laws are only really a thing in Belgium and the Netherlands, Dragalia Lost isn't really available anywhere in Europe for some weird reason. All other Nintendo Gacha games are still available for download in the rest of Europe.
Dragalia Lost is available in the UK, it's the only European country it's available in though.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Never really got this logic, TBH. So what, does the spirit event have to have included every single Galar 'mon for Gen 8 to be considered out of the running? With other spirit events, even if they didn't cover every notable character, they were still agreed to be a critical hit (heh) towards these characters. The point still stands that if they were going to include Gen 8 in Pass 2, then why did they do a Gen 8 spirit event around the time FP2 was finalized in the first place? Wouldn't they have just saved those spirits for the playable 'mon's board?

What I really want to know is why are people still so insistent on a Gen 8 Pokemon despite literally every other spirit event being generally agreed upon to be a disconfirmation? What makes it any special!?
There wasn’t any spirit event for Three Houses before Byleth was revealed. If post-release spirits don’t disconfirm, this would make no sense as there are enough Three Houses characters not only for a spirit event, but also for a spirit board.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
For all we know, they probably could’ve looked at other options during that time and then used the ones they figured couldn’t be fighters as Spirits.
Like I just said in my previous post, wouldn't they have just saved those for the playable rep's spirit board?

I mean it's not like, when they decided on Byleth, they did a spirit event with the house leaders

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The problem here is that we've only had two rounds of Smash DLC and only one has overlapped with a new Generation that could provide new Pokemon so we can't say for certain that TCPi absolutely wants summons to go along with a character. It's entirely possible they'd be fine with a Gen 8 Pokemon coming without them, particularly since the draw of a playable character is still pretty huge on its own (just look at Incineroar coming without a new stage unlike previous games).

Dragalia Lost is available in the UK, it's the only European country it's available in though.
Erases all of Europe except the UK from the map
UK is the only Europe, therefore Dragalia is available in all of Europe. Euden's fine :4pacman:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Honestly, if we're gonna talk about Pokémon again, then I think it would be nice to at least bring something new into the conversation.

Like those Unite skins that apparently got leaked yesterday. And so again I question why we can't have something like this for characters other than Miis.

Seriously, I would pay for that Lucario costume in Smash.
Cinderace: Ahoy!

Also, the fact that Talonflame's costume made me think of Aya's reporter outfit in Forbidden Scrollery really tells how far I have fallen into the Touhou rabbit hole.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If that's the case, why would there be new Pokeball summons every smash game if the Pokemon company would be fine without them? Pokeball summons are an item exclusive to that series that summon different kinds of Pokemon so wouldn't they want new Pokemon to come along with their new Pokemon character? Pokemon are the main highlights of the series.

Maybe a Gen 8 Pokemon will be released without new Pokeball summons but it seems traditional to add a new batch of Pokeball summons along with a new Pokemon character.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Now that this thread is on the subject of a potential Pokémon rep for the 34543th time, let me get something off of my chest for a bit regarding Pokémon in Smash...

Man!! I would have really liked it if there were more Human characters from Pokémon represented in Smash. Like seriously, where the hell are all the iconic professors, rivals, villains and champions from each game? I guess it's already something that some of those characters are represented through the music somehow, but at least not one of them being a Spirit seriously confuses me. Red... Oh wait I mean "Pokémon Trainer"... is the only kind of representation we have on this matter, and he doesn't even have a proper spirit.

It's just a bummer really.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Like I just said in my previous post, wouldn't they have just saved those for the playable rep's spirit board?
Like I said before too, they didn’t even scratch the surface with the amount of Galar-original Pokémon to use for Spirits. Literally only 7 out of 89, and nearly all of them were grouped together (those being the starters and legendaries).

Really when it boils down to it, people think the Pokemon spirit board is an exception because it's Pokemon. If another series with a lot of characters, say Suikoden, got a spirit event and for some reason didn't have the main character in it, people would find it strange but I don't think we'd all be thinking that Suikoden would be getting a fighter. We'd just wonder why they chose to omit the main character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just noticed they added Ganondorf to Super Smash Flash 2.
Yeah it's weird because he just kinda...is there now. Butter Building too. He's a bit more interesting than in the official Smash games, but I think in terms of game feel he's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

EDIT: Also, I always thought Butter Building was a minigame rather than an actual building made of butter.

Agreed. The original works as just...all these generations of Mega Man together. Adding Proto Man and Bass just feels like cramming more characters in that don't fit the theme.
Yeah I think that's it. Especially since they just unceremoniously drop down at the last second and then float in place because they otherwise don't fit in the shot.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Heres my take on the pokemon spirit board, I don’t think it means anything. There are so many Pokemon to choose from with similar importance and relevance that I don’t think it matters if a few were deconfirmed.

I also don’t feel like 3 Houses is a good comparison. I mean, if 3 Houses got a spirit event before Byleth it would be
1. Full of major characters, making Byleths spirit board more awkward and less important.
2. It would be full of minor characters, almost a dead giveaway that Nintendo has something planned with 3 Houses.

Contrast that with Pokemon, whos new DLC means that basically a new Spirit board could be stocked with tons of important pokemon even without the old ones.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Like I said before too, they didn’t even scratch the surface with the amount of Galar-original Pokémon to use for Spirits. Literally only 7 out of 89, and nearly all of them were grouped together (those being the starters and legendaries).
Those seven were fairly major Pokemon, though. The starters, the Legendaries, the Pikaclone, and one of the first Pokemon revealed. It's not like they just tossed together a bunch of randomly-chosen Pokemon like, say, Centiscorch, Appletun, Barraskewda, and Dracovish. No, they went for the Pokemon who got heavily pushed in the marketing. Because of that, I don't really see SwSh happening.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s worth noting the spirit event didn’t have Urshifu or Calyrex.

COUNTERARGUMENT! They usually don’t rep DLC content for other games; the exception could be the spirits of Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy, and Octoling Octopus, both of which are from Splatoon 2’s DLC single player campaign, the Octo Expansion. We didn’t have Ashen Wolves content with Byleth, and no spirits of Lola Pop, Misango, Springtron and Dr. Coyle in Min Min’s board (even though they appeared on the Spring Arena TV screens)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now that this thread is on the subject of a potential Pokémon rep for the 34543th time, let me get something off of my chest for a bit regarding Pokémon in Smash...

Man!! I would have really liked it if there were more Human characters from Pokémon represented in Smash. Like seriously, where the hell are all the iconic professors, rivals, villains and champions from each game? I guess it's already something that some of those characters are represented through the music somehow, but at least not one of them being a Spirit seriously confuses me. Red... Oh wait I mean "Pokémon Trainer"... is the only kind of representation we have on this matter, and he doesn't even have a proper spirit.

It's just a bummer really.
You'd basically be making an archetype of characters who all share the same down special, but we got three Links so I'm not complaining. :nifty:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Honestly, if we're gonna talk about Pokémon again, then I think it would be nice to at least bring something new into the conversation.

Like those Unite skins that apparently got leaked yesterday. And so again I question why we can't have something like this for characters other than Miis.

Seriously, I would pay for that Lucario costume in Smash.
Somewhat curiously looking forward to it, I have kind of always heard about MOBAS before on PC and in recent years Mobile and wondered what the big deal it is with them, But I have always been a console gamer and personally don't find the popular ones you always hear about appealing from a setting and style stand point.

But If it has Pokemon in it, Then you got my attention.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm assuming you're referring to ZUN not localizing the games due to the fans. The games still get worldwide releases and I can and have spent money on English Touhou games without needing to get a patch so don't worry, no contradictions there
This is still confusing me what you're saying.

The games come out over here, but the English fanbase is so small the creator doesn't think it's worth translating them...and this is somehow evidence that it's English fanbase ISN'T insignificant?

Yeah it's weird because he just kinda...is there now. Butter Building too. He's a bit more interesting than in the official Smash games, but I think in terms of game feel he's more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.
It DOES feel like a huge missed opportunity to create a fully decloned Ganondorf. It's weird how that game decides to remain slavish to Smash at times(like deciding to add Pichu...)

What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we get a Pokemon DLC character but it turns out to be Eevee?
Extreme "meh".

You know, on the subject of Pokemon, what about another trainer? Except one of the more prominent ones, like Giovanni, N or Cynthia?
I think it would be a massive waste to spend the development resources of 3 characters to create one character, when they could spend them on 3 new characters instead.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It’s worth noting the spirit event didn’t have Urshifu or Calyrex.

COUNTERARGUMENT! They usually don’t rep DLC content for other games; the exception could be the spirits of Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy, and Octoling Octopus, both of which are from Splatoon 2’s DLC single player campaign, the Octo Expansion. We didn’t have Ashen Wolves content with Byleth, and no spirits of Lola Pop, Misango, Springtron and Dr. Coyle in Min Min’s board (even though they appeared on the Spring Arena TV screens)
Yeah, Smash doesn't seem to care much about DLC. I'd presume it's you'll need the base game in the first place just to get the DLC, so the base game is what gets pushed. If we get a SwSh rep, I think it'll be a base game Pokemon.
This is still confusing me what you're saying.

The games come out over here, but the English fanbase is so small the creator doesn't think it's worth translating them...and this is somehow evidence that it's English fanbase ISN'T insignificant?
The opposite, actually. The English fanbase is big enough that ZUN can just let them make translations for him. Seeing as he's just one guy, having the fans translate stuff for him means he gets that much extra time to work on other stuff.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Erases all of Europe except the UK from the map
UK is the only Europe, therefore Dragalia is available in all of Europe. Euden's fine :4pacman:
The UK sorted that out in its own way :snakefire:

If this applies to Pokemon then it applies to other games and franchises that got hit with spirit events like Resident Evil btw.
Otherwise you're just making an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom