• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Kinda over the dread commercials now. Just a few more weeks yay

I not only ignore samus hunter but I question any publication that references her or worse bases entire articles on her... Just read one actually that quoted a different leaker to hook my attention then a bunch of smamus hubtree crap.

Anyway October feels right for me plus my birthday is Nov 1st and I'm taking vacation so I very hopeful fp11 drops before then.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t even really care that much for Smash anymore I JUST WANT SPLATOON 3 AND NEWS ON MONOLITH’S PROJECTS AND I HOPE XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X DEFINITIVE EDITION IS ONE OF THEM 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Really, you could substitute with Nintendo fanatics as a whole. Things got pretty ugly with the hiatus last year.
I NEVER want to see another “That’s Dunban over there!” Tweet EVER AGAIN

literally that’s what the gap in news was like back then

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
.exactly, and hows nintendo supposed to tell he's even actually popular vs just a joke? game sales? merchandise? he's got none of that. people cry on the internet about anything.
He does have merchandise, he just recently got a Nintendo switch pro controller themed after him.

Also he’s a very popular character to use in Mario kart 8 deluxe.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, “could be seeing something” could literally mean anything

like that Bluetooth update

it’s SOMETHING. [eye twitch]
Recently came across what I believe to be the best response to this. From Chinese social media (Google Translated):

stoneage.png

Ok so there's no Direct this week, likely no Direct next week as it's a Japanese holiday iirc and no Direct the week after because of TGS. However, we got 2 Dread trailers today so can we truly say it was for nothing?
It really looks like Gibson's tweet have aged poorly. Not sure if he was joking or not (he did include a " : )") but still.

Really, you could substitute with Nintendo fanatics as a whole. Things got pretty ugly with the hiatus last year.
While I do agree, part of me actually looks kinda fondly back to ****shows like the Bakugan and WWE Battlegrounds presentations.

It was like watching Nintendo's decisions led to a bunch of metaphorical car crashes and I couldn't help but to wonder "Man, what will they do next?".

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
So, there are rumours that apart from adding GameBoy/Color games into NSO, they will add in the not so long future N64 games.

But what if they offer N64 catalogue via a premium subscription? Like plus +10 dollars ($30 per year). What if they do the same with GBA and Gamecube? Would you pay for it? All of these with onlineplay and for gamecube, widescreen and 1080p support. A list of potential titles between N64, GBA and GCN would be around 100. Counting only nintendo published titles.

Imagine that by paying +50/60 dollars/euros per year (same as Playstation/Xbox online services) you get full access to (mostly?) nintendo published titles between 1983 to 2006, thats 23 years of Nintendo history.

We can even fulfill our long wish of Melee with official online :)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
exactly, and hows nintendo supposed to tell he's even actually popular vs just a joke? game sales? merchandise? he's got none of that. people cry on the internet about anything.
Dude I’m sorry but the way you downplay Waluigi’s popularity just makes it seem like you really don’t like him and so make weird arguments against him. Like disliking him is obviously fine, but this stuff about him “not actually being popular” just doesn’t make sense.

And I’m convinced people don’t know how memes and funny stuff generally work if they think they automatically equate to no genuine popularity. People said the same thing with Steve even -.- Why not accept the possibility of people genuinely liking a character for whatever reason instead of gatekeeping them just because you don’t like them or the memes ._.

Like, Sans is another example of a heavily memed character, but many people genuinely love him and the memes, and if some only know him and like him because of the memes? Who cares? Still counts as liking him. I don’t see anyone saying “he’s not REALLY popular!” because clearly at least something about him is popular.

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
I see SamusHunter is running around turning everyone's underwear inside out again.

[Tournament event] "Call more and more! Assist figures" will be held for 3 days from 9/17 (Friday)! This is a tournament where many assist figures appear. The more you win, the more luxurious spirits you get. #Smash Bros SP

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d.
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that there are one or two bilingual Nintendo/Smash interns lurking this topic and forwarding trends to Sakurai and various higher ups. This tourney event almost seems a little too engineered to get people chatting about previous theories.

(A similar situation to the Steve delay? Next Wednesday we know for sure.)

nintendo has made it VERY clear that dlc is about raising the profile of smash as a game (sepiroth and Steve and joker). DLC serves two major other purposes increasing business relationships behind the scenes and promoting games that Nintendo wants to sell more of (meaning fire emblem in this era). people complain and ***** here on forums but looking at three houses sales numbers... yeah it works. I bet if nintendo could logistically make it work metroid would get a character.

waluigi accomplishes none of that. there are plenty of characters that are iconic and would let nintendo build with (kratos, MC, Phoenix wirght RIP dante, and ahuri immediately come to mind)

and why upgrade waluigi over alucard, zero, or protoman?
Agreed. Most speculators here gloss over certain details and miss the bigger picture. Amazing how folks just can't even acknowledge one third party in particular.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that there are one or two bilingual Nintendo/Smash interns lurking this topic and forwarding trends to Sakurai and various higher ups. This tourney event almost seems a little too engineered to get people chatting about previous theories.
I feel sorry for the interns that have to read this thread.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Dude I’m sorry but the way you downplay Waluigi’s popularity just makes it seem like you really don’t like him and so make weird arguments against him. Like disliking him is obviously fine, but this stuff about him “not actually being popular” just doesn’t make sense.

And I’m convinced people don’t know how memes and funny stuff generally work if they think they automatically equate to no genuine popularity. People said the same thing with Steve even -.- Why not accept the possibility of people genuinely liking a character for whatever reason instead of gatekeeping them just because you don’t like them or the memes ._.
Exactly. That huge outcry caught Nintendo’s attention and they took that feedback seriously, even going so far as to make Sakurai aware of it. They know people like the character. Just recently they even trademarked Wario and Waluigi’s emblem possibly for more merchandise for him in the future.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
It's been known for a long time that Samus Hunter is a fraud. This Reddit comment gets shared a lot in discussions about their credibility.
Both sides of the argument are wrong in this case: I did a personal fact check of this post and all the claims in it and a lot of was misconstructed or they used very shady and misconstructed evidence.

Overall, if you don't trust an insider (independent of them being a farce or not), just leave them alone and don't bother with it at all: you are just feeding fame into people that don't deserve in the case of fake insiders or scaring the few good ones left in the case of trustworthy ones. The Nintendo fanbase already did enough to make people like Zell disappear from the scene and they just don't learn at all (in fact, after the OLED model, things just got freaking worse).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Same, that game really has me intrigued. And it's online so no friends required!
Yep, no friends. Just rage quitters.
I find it cute that you're both talking as if any group of friends (irl or not) that plays Mario Party for long actually stays friends. :roll:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just want to see what the future of Kirby looks like after Star Allies.
That's the biggest reason for why I'm waiting for a Direct... assuming that there's Kirby content in it at all.
My guess is we won't see it until next year since it'll be a smaller 2022 release.

Either that or it'll be a 2023 release and we'll have to wait a little over a year for its announcement, but since we've already seen a Copy Ability from the next game, I don't think it's that far off.

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
What are you guys's opinions on the Assist Trophies they removed:
  • Barbara the Bat from Jam with the Band
  • Dark Samus from Metroid
  • Elec Man from Mega Man
  • Excitebikes from Excite
  • Helirin from Kururin
  • Infantry and Tanks from Nintendo Wars
  • Isabelle from Animal Crossing
  • Jill from Drill Dozer
  • Kat and Anna from WarioWare
  • Lakitu and Spinies from Super Mario
  • Little Mac from PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Magnus from Kid Icarus
  • Mr. Resetti from Animal Crossing
  • Ray Mk III from Custom Robo
  • Saki Amamiya from Sin and Punishment
  • Tingle from The Legend of Zelda
Yes I know some of these are characters now. What did you think of them as Assist Trophies?
I personally think Elec Man was demoted to spirt because they wanted the Guest Assists to be close in relevancy to franchise.
  • Gray Fox: Recurring Boss and main rival
  • Shadow & Knuckles: Main characters/rivals and had their own games
  • Ghosts: Only other characters from original game and had great A.I.
  • Guile: Beloved character and star of live-action movie. I also heard Sakurai is a Guile main
  • Rodin: Weapons/Skill dealer and toughest boss
  • Alucard: Most recurring non-Belmont hero and had his own game.
  • Bomberman, Akira Yuki, Rathalos and Shovel Knight: Main characters/ mascots of their own game.

Now let's look at the 3 Mega Man assist tropheis:
  • Zero, loved character who got his own series
  • Dr. Wily, the main villain
  • Elec Man, a one-off boss.

Elec Man is a cool boss and the robot masters are important to Mega Man, but not Elec Man specifically.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My gut tells me it's gonna be somebody we're not thinking about. Who in particular? I don't know and I'm not gonna try and piece it together.
This is the most likely case.

Everytime Sakurai and Nintendo throws us the curveball into the other direction as shown with Joker, Terry, Sephiroth, and Kazuya.

Now the only question is who? Who could it possibly be? We could try to think of as many characters we're not thinking about and chances it won't be any of those.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My gut tells me it's gonna be somebody we're not thinking about. Who in particular? I don't know and I'm not gonna try and piece it together.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think most people get too fixated on just a few possible characters and pass over a ton of great options. I always try to bring up characters that I feel don’t get much discussion but I have no idea who we’ll end up with either. I think it’s just a good idea to keep an open mind.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I personally think Elec Man was demoted to spirt because they wanted the Guest Assists to be close in relevancy to franchise.
  • Gray Fox: Recurring Boss and main rival
  • Shadow & Knuckles: Main characters/rivals and had their own games
  • Ghosts: Only other characters from original game and had great A.I.
  • Guile: Beloved character and star of live-action movie. I also heard Sakurai is a Guile main
  • Rodin: Weapons/Skill dealer and toughest boss
  • Alucard: Most recurring non-Belmont hero and had his own game.
  • Bomberman, Akira Yuki, Rathalos and Shovel Knight: Main characters/ mascots of their own game.

Now let's look at the 3 Mega Man assist tropheis:
  • Zero, loved character who got his own series
  • Dr. Wily, the main villain
  • Elec Man, a one-off boss.

Elec Man is a cool boss and the robot masters are important to Mega Man, but not Elec Man specifically.
I do think you sell him a bit short. He's no Cut Man or Guts Man, but he is one of the more recognizable Robot Masters by virtue of being one of the first, and one of the more popular ones at that.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Someone quick! Think of as many characters we're not thinking about that could be the last fighter!
Battletoads
Fulgore
Lu Bu
Oda Nobunaga
Magus
Velvet Crowe
Bill Rizer
Joanna Dark
Illidan Stormrage
Arthas
Sarah Kerrigan
Diablo