• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Let's see... are there any lower-key/cheaper third party characters out there?
View attachment 330420
View attachment 330421
View attachment 330422
View attachment 330424
View attachment 330425
View attachment 330426
View attachment 330427
Yeah, I count these characters and even more.
Why would they add Dark Ran without Load Ran first, it's like if they added Dark Pit without actual Pit... though Twinkle Star Sprites is awesome and I'm disappointed that they didn't even put a song from the game when they added Terry...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
why don't you all want to predict any of these three?

Ahri __ ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief __ ( Halo ) via 343 Industries & Microsoft

Matoi __ ( Phantasy Star Online 2 ) via Sega
Because I realised too late that I wanted Sgt. Cortez and I'm sticking to thinking he is likely until the DLC is over.

It will be glorious if I'm right.

Time to Split image.png

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Why would they add Dark Ran without Load Ran first, it's like if they added Dark Pit without actual Pit...
If I had to guess, maybe it's because of Dark Ran's character development. And besides, it'd be interesting seeing a doppelganger added before the genuine article.
though Twinkle Star Sprites is awesome and I'm disappointed that they didn't even put a song from the game when they added Terry...
Agreed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just set things aside for a bit. For those that haven't played Monster Rancher on the older consoles (or veterans wanting to return.) Monster Rancher 1 & 2 DX will be coming to the Switch, App and Steam this December.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
and why upgrade waluigi over alucard, zero, or protoman?
Protoman isn't an assist trophy, which is sad.

I mean, I'm not the one making any argument I was just ****posting.
I think that if we ever do get AT promotions, Waluigi would face some stiff competition regardless.

That said, Zero would be SIIIIIIIIIIICK. I actually made a big moveset for him, here.
If I were in charge of AT promotions, I'd say **** the smash fanbase and add these characters.
View attachment 330360
They're cool and when it comes to characters people like picking, coolness factor is a top priority.
And those 3 use swords as their main weapon. Coincidence? I don't think so.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Whelp, that's that then. No Smash fighter being revealed in the potential direct.

Move along folks! The ride of Ultimate continues.
Did you even read the post?

MasterCheef brought up stuff from last year.

I know 2020 felt like a decade for some, but that doesn't mean it actually will last that long :4pacman:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

I know 2020 felt like a decade for some, but that doesn't mean it actually will last that long :4pacman:
Please be patient with Mike, he has what we like to call "Barry from Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum" character tropes.

Aka

HOLY **** GOTTA GO POST POST POST DON'T BOTHER READING POST POST POST GOTTA GO FAST SPEED POST

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
You mean Snake? :ultsnake:
Solid Snake was actually Liquid Snake's BROTHER, so that doesn't count.

As for what I said about Dark Ran's character development, let me explain it clearly in case you don't get it:
  • In the first Twinkle Star Sprites game, Dark Ran was ordered by her boss (Mevious) to take Load Ran out. Load Ran ended up winning, but then it's revealed in Dark Ran's story that if she got her hands on the Twinkle Star, she would've just used the wish to make herself the main protagonist, so she really didn't want to kill Load Ran despite being given orders to defeat her.
  • In the second game, Dark Ran was pretty much the only member of Mevious' forces from the first game that stayed alongside her boss, and in her story, she's after the Twinkle Star in order to get Mevious' powers back because she doesn't want to see him in so much pain.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Seems like yet again another pattern broke.

Directs in September between the 10th and 20th. Nintendo and Sakurai continues to never stop impressing.
Technically, that pattern broke in 2019 since we got a Direct on the 4th that year :4pacman:

Or Super Mario Bros Super Show Mario.
If he doesn't turn people into Goombas, I'm asking for a refund. :4pacman:

Solid Snake was actually Liquid Snake's BROTHER, so that doesn't count.
And both are clones of Big Boss, the original Snake.

So yes, Solid Snake absolutely counts. :p

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Something something imagine showing this to somebody in 1910.
To take this semi-seriously (just as a fun thought experiment): given that there were already experimental animation back then it isn't a huge logical leap to "playing games on animated screens". Fantasmagorie is a 1908 production, after all. That said, 2018 tech is way beyond 1910s' capabilities, so you couldn't ask Nikola Tesla to reverse-engineer a Nintendo Switch and a copy of the game from scratch (For instance, really bloody small transistors). Also, most futuristic predictions at the time didn't touch entertainment - or didn't consider how people would find new ways to look at cats / argue over the most pedantic **** - but it's worth noting that stuff like the En L'an 2000s postcards from the time did manage to predict video calls a la Skype / Zoom... only with more grammophones because hey, hot new thing at the time.

Also, a good note re: any retrofuturism - trying to predict the future is inevitably going to be hit-and-miss, and retrofuturism oftentimes accidentally tells more about the artist's present and views, i. e. the past from our eyes than the future they're trying to predict. Several futurists at the time were immensely fascinated by the promise of the moving sidewalk. Something most of us don't really interact with much.

The culture shock would be real though (whether between 1910 / 1920 and now). Most characters would look weird but understandable (especially the medieval fantasy swordies) but then you have cases like :ultbayonetta: . If you thought the debates around her being welcome in an obstensibly family-friendly brawler were heated in the recent past... hoo boy. And yes, there have been some really weird stuff posted back then: Victorian Christmas cards could feature stuff like a frog dancing with a beetle or a frog who's been murdered and robbed by another, but I'm decently sure that :ultolimar: tossing around carrot-looking beings would raise eyebrows.

Also, try showing this to Nintendo's founder - who was alive and leading Nintendo at the time. He'd no doubt wonder what the hell happened with Ninty: "Wait, Nintendo's most famous for creating an ITALIAN PLUMBER?!"

The ghost of Christmas Smashboards past.
The ghost of Smashboards Present better be something like most of us idling around and waiting for CP11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Nah man. 2020 is a state of mind. It will always be 2020 so long as leaving the house is still dangerous.

Excuse me while I go sanitize my hands again...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The culture shock would be real though (whether between 1910 / 1920 and now). Most characters would look weird but understandable (especially the medieval fantasy swordies) but then you have cases like :ultbayonetta: . If you thought the debates around her being welcome in an obstensibly family-friendly brawler were heated in the recent past... hoo boy. And yes, there have been some really weird stuff posted back then: Victorian Christmas cards could feature stuff like a frog dancing with a beetle or a frog who's been murdered and robbed by another, but I'm decently sure that :ultolimar: tossing around carrot-looking beings would raise eyebrows.
Funny how fast forwarding a few decades makes Bayonetta the scandalous one and Olimar someone that nobody would bat an eye at.

EDIT: Also people would think Steve was from the current decade rather than one of the youngest characters there.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
To me, it really seems like Nintendo has been releasing costumes/characters before their series' anniversaries. Heihachi even came out before Kazuya just in time to catch Tekken's anniversary in 2021.

I don't really want to believe it, because it would count out basically all of my MWs... but I can't help thinking that the last character will be from an unrepresented series which hasn't had their anniversary yet this year, or already has at least a Mii Costume or AT in the game (for the anniversary tweets).

Sure, Sakurai could continue with the anniversary tweets into 2022. However, everything in Smash that could get an anniversary tweet from Sakurai has released in time for one in 2021 to my knowledge.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
To me, it really seems like Nintendo has been releasing costumes/characters before their series' anniversaries. Heihachi even came out before Kazuya just in time to catch Tekken's anniversary in 2021.

I don't really want to believe it, because it would count out basically all of my MWs... but I can't help thinking that the last character will be from an unrepresented series which hasn't had their anniversary yet this year, or already has at least a Mii Costume or AT in the game (for the anniversary tweets).
IPs (or games) whose anniversaries are these last quarter of the year and don’t have representation in smash:

Mortal Kombat - 08/10/1992
Borderlands - 20/10/2009
Grand Theft Auto - 21/10/1997
Call of Duty - 29/10/2003
Gears of War - 07/11/2006
Tomb Raider - 15/11/1996
Halo - 15/11/2001
Worms - 17/11/1995
Half Life - 19/11/1998
Mass Effect - 20/11/2007
Dead or Alive - 26/11/1996
Ninja Gaiden - 09/12/1998
Doom - 10/12/1993

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Sure, Sakurai could continue with the anniversary tweets into 2022. However, everything in Smash that could get an anniversary tweet from Sakurai has released in time for one in 2021 to my knowledge.
Hmm, so evidently we're not getting a September direct this year and some releases have been coinciding with anniversaries...?

1631755134319.png

1631754670960.png

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
IPs (or games) whose anniversaries are these last quarter of the year and don’t have representation in smash:

Mortal Kombat - 08/10/1992
Borderlands - 20/10/2009
Grand Theft Auto - 21/10/1997
Call of Duty - 29/10/2003
Gears of War - 07/11/2006
Tomb Raider - 15/11/1996
Halo - 15/11/2001
Worms - 17/11/1995
Half Life - 19/11/1998
Mass Effect - 20/11/2007
Dead or Alive - 26/11/1996
Ninja Gaiden - 09/12/1998
Doom - 10/12/1993
Huh
Guess Western studios have a thing for October

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
If the anniversary thing turns out to be true, I think it could be looking good for an SMT character, or Phoenix Wright.

Screenshot_20210915-202316.png

I love Ace Attorney and would love for Phoenix to get in, but he happens to be the MW of my least favorite user on SmashFAQS unfortunately lol. I'm torn

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Hmm, so evidently we're not getting a September direct this year and some releases have been coinciding with anniversaries...?

View attachment 330466
View attachment 330459
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps you're onto something my friend. Obviously the Nahobino costume will come with fighter 11, Stingray Bill so Sakurai can tweet about the Shin Megami Poopoo series.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If the anniversary thing turns out to be true, I think it could be looking good for an SMT character, or Phoenix Wright.

View attachment 330467

I love Ace Attorney and would love for Phoenix to get in, but he happens to be the MW of my least favorite user on SmashFAQS unfortunately lol. I'm torn
Hey, don't let a sour experience sour your views on a character.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Hey, don't let a sour experience sour your views on a character.
Yeah, I shouldn't. Sorry. I've only played through the Ace Attorney games once, so I'm not the biggest fan around by any means... But Phoenix is a character I've become really invested in over the years

I'm less dedicated to AA than some other games, though, so my excitement for Nick maybe getting in waxes and wanes. Nevertheless, he's among the 5 or so characters that would make me pop off rn.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Anniversary theories again?

Because clearly they've always worked :rolleyes:
I know they never really have, but this isn't about a reveal coinciding with an anniversary or anything

It's just that a series getting into Smash Ultimate has literally never missed Sakurai's anniversary tweets so far, and it seems unlikely that they'd go into '22.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I know they never really have, but this isn't about a reveal coinciding with an anniversary or anything

It's just that a series getting into Smash Ultimate has literally never missed Sakurai's anniversary tweets so far, and it seems unlikely that they'd go into '22.
It still feels like trying to coincide things.

But instead of specifically an anniversary, you'd think they'd reveal a character before an anniversary just so Sakurai can make a witty tweet about it,

It's a pretty similar mindset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom