• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Dude has been all over the trailers and marketing for the game.

I say that's fair game.
Fair game is a spoiler to a game that came out 8 years ago, and just reveals Zelda IS Sheik.
Fair game is not overpushed information in a trailer that shows everything in a game.
Just because Nintendo overshared in the information department doesn't mean it wasn't ALSO filled with huge spoilers.
There are plenty of fans of Metroid who have been vocal about avoiding that most recent trailer- it is nearly unanimously purported as being full of spoilers.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It is a market strategy since Metroid isn't known to a lot of people despite being a gaming classic that defined Metroidvania. Don't forget that it has been 17 years after Metroid Fusion, I can say that a lot of people forgot about the main timeline of Metroid prior to Metroid Dread's reveal.

Also, a smash comic about the last challenger coming soon.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Edit: I do really hope they finally capitalize on Sylux but at this point it’s almost a joke and I wouldn’t be surprised if Retro kinda just wanted to start fresh and then Sylux is dead in the water for any characterization.
Yeah, I hope it's not the case, but considering that Prime 4 is going through some major stuff to the point of bringing back Retro staff for it, I wouldn't be surprised if Sylux were to fall through, despite the wish of possibly making him a recurring antagonist.

I wouldn't mind if they were to become a one-off, with Prime 4 being their only major game that reveals what is needed for them. Dark Samus/Metroid Prime may have worked as the Prime trilogy main villain, but if Sylux is only able to work for Prime 4, but is necessary to give what is needed to make their character good, I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the weirdest thing that came out of the whole Sylux debate was how people who always look down on current console characters as "flavors of the month" were fervently rooting for him because he's going to be important one day.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Is the Rogue Chozo really that much of a spoiler? After Metroid Dread's Chozo Memory I think it was very expected he'd be in the next game, and the Chozo showing up in the first trailer for Dread pretty much got everyone thinking 'yep, that guy's coming' by the end of it. It's not even like the fandom kept the Memory a secret either a la Seven with Xenoblade, it was talked about pretty freely from what I remember, so it felt more like a confirmation then a genuine surprise.

There are some things in the trailers I can understand wanting to be kept under wraps, but the Chozo was so expected after everything lined up for this game to be the big debut.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For the longest time, we haven't seen a live chozo in all metroid titles prior to Dread. The only known details was the artifacts, powerups, chozo statues and ruins, and history.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is the Rogue Chozo really that much of a spoiler? After Metroid Dread's Chozo Memory I think it was very expected he'd be in the next game, and the Chozo showing up in the first trailer for Dread pretty much got everyone thinking 'yep, that guy's coming' by the end of it. It's not even like the fandom kept the Memory a secret either a la Seven with Xenoblade, it was talked about pretty freely from what I remember, so it felt more like a confirmation then a genuine surprise.

There are some things in the trailers I can understand wanting to be kept under wraps, but the Chozo was so expected after everything lined up for this game to be the big debut.
There's also the fact that the Dread Report blog confirms that they're the reason why Samus loses her abilities at the start of the game like usual, which would mean that regardless, you're gonna see them pretty early on. Not much of a spoiler, really.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been trying to avoid everything about Dread since E3 since I hear it's getting spoilery and I already know I'm going to get the game, but I can't really complain that people are sharing and talking about stuff freely used in pre-release promotion.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
literally hundreds of people predicted aegis and byleth.
Not here they weren't. And if you're talking globally "literally hundreds" when "literally tens of thousands" are trying to guess is functionally nothing.

Well I guess I know who to DM when Toadette makes it in and you, stubborn and short-sighted Smash community, have never picked up on her slow but steady rise in the Mario canon that could logically only have resulted on her being added as the final character.
I've been saying Captain Toad w/ Toadette alts for ages!

Speaking of Star Fox, I wonder what the reactions would have been in an alternate scenario where there were two more characters in the base game after Kencineroar but they turned out to be Miyu and Faye as Echo Fighters of Fox and Falco respectively.
I won't turn my nose up at any Echo, as long as they're from the same series as the character they're echoing.

They're free real estate.

Of course you could always take all that effort and just make a new Star Fox game altogether, but Zero Deluxe would still likely cost less to make.
I sure would rather have a remake of Star Fox 2 rather than a 4th remake of Star Fox 1...

I have my preferences sure, but I'm not about to write a 10 paragraph essay saying why someone should or shouldn't be in or about the evidence or lack thereof they have for/against them.
The ones I want should be in because I want them.

Do any of you think the final fighter might be a character that's been disregarded in speculation due to a preconceived notion that they're disconfirmed?
Yes. Hayabusa.

Yeah, this was the big problem with Sylux. With characters people support you usually want something tangible to latch on to, a history with the franchise, a relationship between important characters, fun boss fights, and so on, something that makes you invested in the character and want to see them in Smash. That's why Ridley and Dark Samus were popular wants for Metroid, they were characters we were invested in and loved seeing in the Metroid franchise, so of course we would be invested in seeing them in Smash as well.

Sylux hasn't done that yet.
Nahobino is the new Sylux.

I don't exactly think fan material is on the table as far as Smash goes.
If that were the case, I think they'd very much include the notorious "Can't Beat Airman" inspired by Mega Man 2, a song which even Capcom itself acknowledged in official capacity.
**** Airman! Only Okkusenman!

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone not really watching any dread stuff to try and keep spoiler-free as much as possible, I already heard talk of an evil chozo dude in earlier conversations so seeing a pic of the guy is whatever to me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The goddamn evil Chozo dude was in Samus Returns people!

As far fetched as Nintendo acknowledging fan-works in official capacity, the only thing more unlikely is Nintendo putting in a song where the chorus is "ULTRAMAN, ULTRAMAN!"
Counterpoint: But do it tho.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I had a dream where I checked the Smash Ultimate website and found out that the last character was a Storm Trooper from Star Wars. I almost believed it was real but then realised I was asleep. Then I dreamt I checked back on the website to double check if it was real and then the final character changed to be Otus from Owlboy. I didn't get to see the trailers and it was like I was late to the live announcement kind of dream.

That is all. You can go back to talking about whatever you guys are talking about.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The promise of SOMETHING happening with him. A promise that hasn't gotten anything more than ANOTHER teaser since 2007.
Actually Sylux DID appear in the last 5 years, they had a postcredits scene for Federation Force where they break in to Galactic Federation HQ and steals a Metroid

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Actually Sylux DID appear in the last 5 years, they had a postcredits scene for Federation Force where they break in to Galactic Federation HQ and steals a Metroid
That is indeed the "ANOTHER teaser since 2007" that I mentioned.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
The funniest part about Dread to me is the possibility that CP11 could very easily be another Samus lmao.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is indeed the "ANOTHER teaser since 2007" that I mentioned.
Oh,I misread that as nothing but a teaser since 2007, my bad lmao
The funniest part about Dread to me is the possibility that CP11 could very easily be another Samus lmao.
On one hand, repeats suck, especially as the other Samus repeat is easily one of the worst additions to the series and casuals will assume Dark Samus is also Samus which makes Metroid even worse than Zelda with it's 3 Links and 2 Zeldas. On the other hand, Samus can be so much cooler if they do that for Dread's abilities alone

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Samusdorf fo be more specific.

BTW If CP11 is Bird, then PETA would complain that Bird is not their mascot bird and they will start trashtalking Smash because you can fight animal characters in it.

SKX31

Smash Master
I will say though, that I love the creativity the boss had. It was definitely one of the coolest ones. :awesome:
receives an award for the most original pun ever made

(I regret nothing!)

How are we all feeling about the Direct being this week?

Its been talked about a lot but since we’re actually in the week now (at least where I am), I figured it’d be worth it to ask.
Still prepared for the scenario where Direct is not this week, but chances are pretty good that this upcoming week will be it. Daniel Gibson's tweet might be the strongest (though not sure-fire) circumstacial indicator that it may be this week.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Though there are numerous factors we're not aware of, it does feel like the elements we do know (no Sony presentation competing for online space, WarioWare released, typical time for Fall Direct, Smash reveal due, and no major games out till the first week of October) suggests this week would be fairly logical to have one.

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
This information is nearly two years old, but I just came across it earlier today and I believe it's still very relevant right now, particularly in hindsight:

https://www.vg247.com/katsuhiro-harada-super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc

Seems like quite a few characters were visibly deconfirmed quite some time ago. The characters in question referred to in this tweet specifically are Crash, Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Jonsey, Sora and Arle. I'm sure there are other picks that fall under this umbrella. Probably Waluigi, maybe Geno, Rayman, and one or two others which I'm drawing a blank on.

EDIT: How do you format these links to get the headline and article preview to display properly anyway? I've gotten it to work maybe once or twice but it seems very finicky

I had to refresh my memory with Wikipedia, but there are two Bomberman 64 games, Bomber Man Hero (which I think is just like Bomberman 64), a whole bunch of Bomberman Land titles (minigame collections it seems), and a whole lot of games that are classic Bomberman, but with some sort of bell or whistle.

I also could have sworn there was a nearly top down Bomberman title that had mechanics that were like Bomberman 64, but was still pretty different, but I don't know which game that is. I just remember that it had cute thingies called...I think Pommews.
Maybe it's not the game you're thinking of, but there was a pretty rad entry on the GBA called Bomberman Quest which played a lot like a Zelda game. You had boss areas to explore that were similar to Zelda dungeons but had more Bomberman-styled layouts, and there were creatures called "Karabons" which you could recruit that granted you better abilities. Not just staples like the Bomb Kick and the Line Bomb but also things like a shield that blocks projectiles and a rainbow bridge that can cross over one-space gaps.

It will be both funny and slightly sad to see which arguments will be rendered moot by the reveal about Fighter 11. I can just imagine some scenario where after all the back and forth about the status of an SMT fighter, what constitutes LM3 representation, and then we end up with like Soma Cruz or something.
Soma Cruz is my most wanted Castlevania rep. Having him be CP11 would be baller.

How are we all feeling about the Direct being this week?

Its been talked about a lot but since we’re actually in the week now (at least where I am), I figured it’d be worth it to ask.
All the stars are aligned too perfectly for it to be any other week.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Dude has been all over the trailers and marketing for the game.

I say that's fair game.
Nah man. Anything more than the basic of basic abilities Samus has is a spoiler. Imagine if someone was mad about the EMMI being shown in the reveal trailer. I can't believe they spoiled the EMMI sections of the game by telling us they'll chase us in some areas! I wanted to go in fresh!

Self imposed media blackouts are perfectly fine, but simply knowing of the existence of bird boy isn't a spoiler. All we know is he exists and not what he does for the story. They need to show more about the game and not just cryptic nonsense that won't sell to the masses. Even then they have some cryptic stuff with the mini glimpse of dread trailers (which is still probably too much for people).

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I have this really funny idea that this last character will be the single most mechanically complex and exciting character in terms of moveset, that like, takes months of work to even get working a little like Steve, but then everyone goes berzerk because it's a Pokemon as the last DLC fighter

Jokes aside, if a Pokemon were the last DLC fighter, I'd personally love to see Deoxys. The stance-change function between Speed Forme, Attack Forme and Defence Forme just writes itself as a moveset idea, and a more cosmically aligned Pokemon is cool to have (as well as a battle between Deoxys and Mewtwo as the trailer...)

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
My personal theory on what the whole "end of the saga" thing is that from that point on in the timeline, Metroids will never appear again. That said, (so the franchise can keep its name), Samus will inevitably be christened a "Metroid," by a Chozo. Remember, the word "Metroid," is the Chozo word for "warrior."

It's not often that the name of a major franchise changes its meaning and I feel we could see it here.
The idea of "Metroid" actually referring to Samus going forward is too funny of an opportunity to pass up. Now we just need a game where Link is named Zelda.

In all seriousness though that's a really cool idea and I hope that's the route they go.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
What are the chances we get a direct this week with no smash reveal? Sakurai did say it would be a while.
No Smash character is possible yet unlikely, theres no real reason to put it off aside from theatrics, but if they really want ro drum up suspense they could just announce a Presents but not reveal the fighter.

The “a while” comment means nothing. A Japanese speaker actually came out and debunked it, Sakurai never actually said it would take a while.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What are the chances we get a direct this week with no smash reveal? Sakurai did say it would be a while.
I'm betting on that being the case.

If we're wrong, that's great, no more delays. If we're right, we all moan and groan together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom