• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How about the switch from mission based gameplay to free roaming?
The floors themselves aren't usually that long, so it's fundamentally the same. It's just heavily streamlined.

How about the return of portrait ghosts on every floor instead of generic possesor ghosts at the end of the entire mansions , which was a huge fan request?
I...literally brought that up.

Plus the mechanical differences with Gooigi and the plunger shot completely change the way the game is played.
I also literally brought that up. TWICE in that post, in fact.

And even if it wasn't that different, it's certainly more different than Animal Crossing New Horizons or Mariol Golf Super Rush are from the previous entries and those got spirit events.
Agreed on Super Rush, disagreed on New Horizons.

Terraforming, being able to put any furniture outside and not having to spent half a million bells just to move a ****ing bench completely changed the way people customize their towns.

But my point is that if they did a LM3 Spirit event, it'd be Gooigi (which wouldn't exactly be creative because the Poltergust fight already makes you fight multiple Luigis) and a boss ghost or two, with Hellen Gravely absolutely being one of them because of how impatcul to the plot she is.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
And that's nonsense. His series tag is "Final Fantasy." There is actually zero reason for them to restrict it so heavily to just one game.
Alas, the tangled jungle known as "Really expensive licensing costs" probably meant that content from most other FF games would be really expensive to obtain...

It actually is remarkable how hostile Miyamoto seems to be to the idea of a Star Fox space shooter game without a gimmick. Given that Star Wars Rogue Leader managed to outsell both Star Fox Adventures & Assault while stuff like Squadrons can still find an audience to this day, one wonders about the alternate universe where SF actually evolved its core mechanics rather than putting on various hats for each title.
While I'm on the outside looking in, I get the hardcore impression that since Miyamoto made his career off of "new ways to play"* he doubled or even triple downed on that notion. Time has not been the kindest to that idea, where A) even the successes like the Wii haven't lead to long-lasting changes in the video game landscape, and B) the video game landscape has more or less solidified, with most other innovators in the business basing their innovations on established mechanics instead of controllers. One of the only controller-related innovations that have stuck more or less is VR / AR, and even then those two are niché currently due to them being relatively expensive.

But at the same time, he remains of Nintendo's most influential voices and is nowadays one of its executives. Sure, there have been more stumbles recently, but those haven't harmed Nintendo much in the grand scheme of things. He's still very much intelligent and insigtful.

* I mean, he can claim credit for five of Nintendo's franchises - Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero and Pikmin IIRC - and he's the first person most think of when hearing the phrase "video game developer".

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
LM3’s story is also quite unique. It’s about a deranged immortal god ghost finally realising he can’t allow the green plumber to live after 2 games and finally trying to end him once and for all.

the story’s in Luigi mansion games with its lore are some of the most interesting things which I wish Mario games had instead of recycling the same plot.

Lm1- king boo tricks the bros into coming to a mansion so that he can put the bros in paintings for harming boos in previous encounters

Lm2- king boo escapes and breaks the dark moon in order to take control of the ghosts, capture mario and open up the parallel dimension to break reality whilst also using the mines to enhanced his servants

Lm3- king boo escapes thanks to his new lover assistant who helps plan a trap so he can end Luigi once and for all. The plot in this games a tad weaker but we get to see the 1 on 1 dialogue between the 2 villains and it’s a set up for LM4
Yes, but I'm talking about why there wouldn't be a Spirit Event of LM3.

The story is pretty inconsequential for this discussion aside from cementing Hellen Gravely if we get a spirit event, even if it's a great one, especially since King Boo is both already a spirit and has the same design as Dark Moon (which the Spirit is based on), so there's literally no reason for him to get a LM3 Spirit.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
"Nintendo's weird"

But yeah Nintendo is as Nintendo does. It's almost as if it's a battle between us and them as they're telling us what we want and controlling our expectations. And if a dedicated startup makes a fan game that's actually good Nintendo kills it and steers the ip as far from that as possible.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Yes, but I'm talking about why there wouldn't be a Spirit Event of LM3.

The story is pretty inconsequential for this discussion aside from cementing Hellen Gravely if we get a spirit event, even if it's a great one, especially since King Boo is both already a spirit and has the same design as Dark Moon (which the Spirit is based on), so there's literally no reason for him to get a LM3 Spirit.
‘twas adding to your bottom part where you went over everything unique about Lm3. Thought the story was worth putting down and I wanted to vent about how Luigi gets unique story plots so I felt it was worth mentioning.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The floors themselves aren't usually that long, so it's fundamentally the same. It's just heavily streamlined.

Terraforming, being able to put any furniture outside and not having to spent half a million bells just to move a ****ing bench completely changed the way people customize their towns.

But my point is that if they did a LM3 Spirit event, it'd be Gooigi (which wouldn't exactly be creative because the Poltergust fight already makes you fight multiple Luigis) and a boss ghost or two, with Hellen Gravely absolutely being one of them because of how impatcul to the plot she is.
1. The floors being short means you get a new theme constantly, which keeps the game fresh as opposed to going through the exact same mansion 8 different times. It also adds a lot more variety.

2. You said it has different bosses, but you didn't specify the portrait ghosts being an entirely different concept than the possesor ghosts, not just new bosses.

3. I wasn't saying you didn't bring it up, the point was that it completely changes the game. You left it in a list as a small point, but it's actually a very significant change.

4. Customization may be more varried, but the gameplay is almost exactly the same. You chop trees and dig up fossils, you catch bugs and fish, you sell stuff and buy house upgrades, furniture, and customization options. The difference between pkaying LM 2 and LM3 is a lot bigger than the difference between playing New Leaf and New Horizons.

But none of this matters because a sequel not being different enough to get representation in smash bros. Is the biggest reach I've heard in a long time to begin with.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And that's nonsense. His series tag is "Final Fantasy." There is actually zero reason for them to restrict it so heavily to just one game.
The website still has it as Final Fantasy VII.

Untitled.png

Now granted, that's likely due to the fact that no other Final Fantasy character outside of that game has yet to make an appearance. It's kinda like how it also specifically mentions Bayo 2 or Persona 5. I'm not saying because of this label that it would make logical sense for the next FF rep to be from 7. Rather I'm saying the fact that FFVII was the specific game used before, with content that had not yet been added due to licensing issues that had seemingly been now disappeared, played a factor in the decision. For me personally, them adding Sephiroth as an addendum to lackluster FFVII content just seems like a valid theory. Some Nintendo chairman is nuts for the guy at least, you have to admit that.

I agree that the decision doesn't make sense on a level of diversity's sake choice, but Sephiroth's inclusion fleshed out what FFVII was meant to bring with Cloud and his one single battle track from Smash 4. Even if they introduced Noctis or Terra or whomever, I feel like FFVII still would've remained the husk of representation it was always mocked for prior.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
1. The floors being short means you get a new theme constantly, which keeps the game fresh as opposed to going through the exact same mansion 8 different times. It also adds a lot more variety.
Still the same basic setup, just done way better in 3 because, as you said, the constant new themes.

2. You said it has different bosses, but you didn't specify the portrait ghosts being an entirely different concept than the possesor ghosts, not just new bosses.
The game itself refers to them as boss ghosts. Probably because they aren't turned into portraits in LM3.

So I'm gonna stand my ground with this opinion. :p

3. I wasn't saying you didn't bring it up, the point was that it completely changes the game. You left it in a list as a small point, but it's actually a very significant change.
....Remember when this discussion was about a Spirit Event?

That's why it's a small point; I don't expect "Suction Shot" to be a Spirit.

4. Customization may be more varried, but the gameplay is almost exactly the same. You chop trees and dig up fossils, you catch bugs and fish, you sell stuff and buy house upgrades, furniture, and customization options. The difference between pkaying LM 2 and LM3 is a lot bigger than the difference between playing New Leaf and New Horizons.
And what do you do in Luigi's Mansion games? Explore mansions, fight and suck up ghosts, get treasure, help E. Gadd while he gives you a communication device based on a Nintendo console, save Mario.

It's really easy to summarize every game. :p

But none of this matters because a sequel not being different enough to get representation in smash bros. Is the biggest reach I've heard in a long time to begin with.
Either way, aside from the boss ghosts and Gooigi, there's no new character in Luigi's Mansion 3.

And I should point out that only two of the bosses have any official artwork, which doesn't help either.

Basically, the LM3 Spirit Event would be, at best, Gooigi, Hellen and the very first boss.

Gooigi's fight would probably be too similar to the Poltergust fight and the first boss is just a glorified mook with more HP, which also doesn't inspire much in terms of creative spirit battles.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Time has not been the kindest to that idea, where A) even the successes like the Wii haven't lead to long-lasting changes in the video game landscape, and B) the video game landscape has more or less solidified, with most other innovators in the business basing their innovations on established mechanics instead of controllers. One of the only controller-related innovations that have stuck more or less is VR / AR, and even then those two are niché currently due to them being relatively expensive.
In many ways the one lasting legacy that could be argued as coming from the Wii (gyro aiming) actually reinforces your latter point, with it being incorporated within the context of a traditional controller to much greater consistency. That has endured far more than many of the wacky new play mechanics that the Wii spawned.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Forgot to mention, the spirit board would likely be Helen, Gooigi, Polterkitty, and some of the new grunt ghosts (since we have spirits of all the old ones) maybe a boss or two if they want more, but that's already plenty. Polterkitty would be the token upgradable one with its monster form. That's more than enough if Super Saiyin Mario and Kaiju Bowser was enough for a spirit event.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Forgot to mention, the spirit board would likely be Helen, Gooigi, Polterkitty, and some of the new grunt ghosts (since we have spirits of all the old ones) maybe a boss or two if they want more, but that's already plenty. Polterkitty would be the token upgradable one with its monster form. That's more than enough if Super Saiyin Mario and Kaiju Bowser was enough for a spirit event.
Doesn't matter if the only bosses with any official artwork are Helen and Steward.

It'd have to be those two and Gooigi. Literally no other option because no other new character has actual rendered artw-

Never mind, just remembered King MacFrights had one too.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Real ones remember the Shrewd Possessor, who was apparently so scary the QA testers didn't want to fight them.
I... assume that's the one in the Secret Mine, right? I only know this because it has the S in the hidden acronym.

If it is, I'll put the answer in 2 simple words: motion, controls. There, scary mystery solved.

I swear, the more I hear of 3, the higher temptations of obtaining it grow. Even tailgating the pain that was Sticker Star, Dark Moon definitely could've been more than it was.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not all of the Spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate use existing artwork (specifically, I believe one of the Metal Gears uses a new image). Since Luigi's Mansion 3 is 1st party, I imagine it would be super easy barely an inconvenience for them to just get a screen grab of who they wanted.
True, but it's also incredibly inconsistent.

Remember when people speculated about a new Banjo game because Gruntilda had original artwork when the Smash devs could've just used existing artowrk like literally every other Banjo character who had one?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Real ones remember the Shrewd Possessor, who was apparently so scary the QA testers didn't want to fight them.
"Wait which one was that again?"
looks it up
"And I thought I was a sissy..."

I will say though, that I love the creativity the boss had. It was definitely one of the coolest ones. :awesome:
receives an award for the most original pun ever made

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
When new spirits for a game have been a small handleful at most and could be as little as 2 new additions. Not to mention a literal dice block as one these postgame spirits, well suffice to say it would take little effort for a LM3 spirit event if they wanted it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Doesn't matter if the only bosses with any official artwork are Helen and Steward.

It'd have to be those two and Gooigi. Literally no other option because no other new character has actual rendered artw-

Never mind, just remembered King MacFrights had one too.
Again ignoring Polterkitty

Laniv

Smash Champion
Don't forget the G-00 as a possible spirit battle, even if if would be similar to the existing 5000 battle.

And this is assuming they pull exclusively from 3, and don't just give E. Gadd a spirit battle to fill the board.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Well anyways there is official artwork for all LM3 bosses anyways viewable as part of an ingame album (though iirc that feature is locked to the dlc so it's understandable to miss it)

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If you’d have told me we’d be a week or 2 away from FP11 and everyone was getting heated and debating over king boo or E gad being potentially last I’d have told you you were being Insane. Turns out people would be right and I’d be wrong lol

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It will be both funny and slightly sad to see which arguments will be rendered moot by the reveal about Fighter 11. I can just imagine some scenario where after all the back and forth about the status of an SMT fighter, what constitutes LM3 representation, and then we end up with like Soma Cruz or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom