• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
It will be both funny and slightly sad to see which arguments will be rendered moot by the reveal about Fighter 11. I can just imagine some scenario where after all the back and forth about the status of an SMT fighter, what constitutes LM3 representation, and then we end up with someone like Soma Cruz or something.
And it will be glorious (for me at least, y’all already know I’m kind of a sadist when it comes to Smash speculators being wrong).

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It will be both funny and slightly sad to see which arguments will be rendered moot by the reveal about Fighter 11. I can just imagine some scenario where after all the back and forth about the status of an SMT fighter, what constitutes LM3 representation, and then we end up with like Soma Cruz or something.
Or a pokemon which is the other popular prediction.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just imagine next week having a direct right after a Spirit Event which massacres another specific game and/or franchise.

That's pretty much what we're all waiting for, right? :troll:

But seriously, I want some LM3 spirits. There's barely any exclusive content from it, which is sad. We essentially have... a grab and some throws from Luigi? Is that it? I don't think we have any actual spirits either. It's also ironically the only LM game(that isn't arcade, of course) I don't own. Incidentally, we have an Arcade near where I live(still a half hour away) that has the Luigi's Mansion multiplayer version. Among other cool things.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see king boo, though I mainly just wanted to point out the artwork deal. If he doesn't get in that's fine. If he does, then I'd be happy. If people complain about King Boo then they are just wasting their own time and energy on rather pointless negative activity. And just like complaints about any other character, that's not my problem.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm 26. I don't have the energy to even debate about who will or won't be the last fighter. I got pretty much everyone I wanted ever since I followed the speculation scene during Smash 4.

I have my preferences sure, but I'm not about to write a 10 paragraph essay saying why someone should or shouldn't be in or about the evidence or lack thereof they have for/against them. I'll let other people expend energy doing that while I take sips of my drink enjoying the chaos.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It will be both funny and slightly sad to see which arguments will be rendered moot by the reveal about Fighter 11. I can just imagine some scenario where after all the back and forth about the status of an SMT fighter, what constitutes LM3 representation, and then we end up with like Soma Cruz or something.
I mean, every argument will be rendered moot because there won't be any characters left to debate about.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Look I’m just saying. If there’s a slight possibility to have Power Armor Bird Man Chozo from the Metroid Dread Video Game Releasing October 8th, 2021 pictured below:

As the final DLC character, I am so down.

If not I want him to be a front runner for next Smash.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a fun question:
Do any of you think the final fighter might be a character that's been disregarded in speculation due to a preconceived notion that they're disconfirmed?

I ask because part of me wants to see @3BitSaurus signature keep expanding lol
Oh yes, I can name a few since they're some of my most wanted.

Sora, Bandana Dee and Eggman.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Look I’m just saying. If there’s a slight possibility to have Power Armor Bird Man Chozo from the Metroid Dread Video Game Releasing October 8th, 2021 pictured below:

Man, I wish I found Metroid to be interesting. Everybody here's treating Dread like the Second Coming, and I'm just that one guy awkwardly watching the whole thing in the corner...

Not trying to shame or anything, it's just not my cup of tea. Glad for the fans, hope the series finally gets back on its feet.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Here's a fun question:
Do any of you think the final fighter might be a character that's been disregarded in speculation due to a preconceived notion that they're disconfirmed?

I ask because part of me wants to see @3BitSaurus signature keep expanding lol
I want to believe in Travis Touchdown, but he's got both the spirit event and the mii costume going against him. There's a sliver in the back of my mind that still thinks he's got a small chance.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

And just like that... Sylux was quickly forgotten and left as a footnote in Smash Ultimate trivia.

Ivander

Smash Legend
And just like that... Sylux was quickly forgotten and left as a footnote in Smash Ultimate trivia.
I mean, last time I checked, most people pretty much acknowledged that Sylux was not going to happen without Prime 4. And that's if they are even still in it. So it's less that they forgot about them and more like moved on from them even before Dread and the Chozo Warrior happened.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I dunno. The character seems kinda big.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Most of the Sylux support was based on two things.

1. People were desperate for Metroid representation and thought Ridey was too big and that Dark Samus would never appear again.
2. The promise of SOMETHING happening with him. A promise that hasn't gotten anything more than ANOTHER teaser since 2007.

Now that Metroid has two new characters in Ridley and Dark Samus, and Metroid is showing new exciting characters that actually have plot importance, why would one support Sylux unless you were a Sylux super fan?

Sylux may have a surge of popularity after Metroid Prime 4 but... that's assuming he's even in the damn game.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, Sylux was forgotten a year and a half ago, ever since Metroid Prime 4 was delayed. They gained steam because MP4 was announced and they were assumed to be in there, and lost traction after MP4 was pushed too far back for it to matter in the context of Smash. Now that Metroid Dread is a thing, MP4 is all but forgotten in favor of the hot new Metroid game that has actual trailers, leadup, and a close release date.

In short, it's hard to forget about something you've already forgotten.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

1. People were desperate for Metroid representation and thought Ridey was too big and that Dark Samus would never appear again.
2. The promise of SOMETHING happening with him. A promise that hasn't gotten anything more than ANOTHER teaser since 2007.

Now that Metroid has two new characters in Ridley and Dark Samus, and the fact that Metroid is showing new exciting characters that actually have plot importance, why would one support Sylux unless you were a Sylux super fan?

Sylux may have a surge of popularity after Metroid Prime 4 but... that's assuming he's even in the damn game.
Yeah, this was the big problem with Sylux. With characters people support you usually want something tangible to latch on to, a history with the franchise, a relationship between important characters, fun boss fights, and so on, something that makes you invested in the character and want to see them in Smash. That's why Ridley and Dark Samus were popular wants for Metroid, they were characters we were invested in and loved seeing in the Metroid franchise, so of course we would be invested in seeing them in Smash as well.

Sylux hasn't done that yet. They do have Hunters, but they were one character among many and not particularly important in that game over the others either, so it was not a major selling point on its own. Then we got the promises and teasers rolling in, which of course were indicating they'd be important, but nothing has come of them and has left the character in a limbo for over a decade. That's not a lot to work with especially in the face of mainstays like the aforementioned Ridley and Dark Samus, and now that both of those characters are in the selling point of being the 'only' Metroid option has gone poof. Their flaws are really showing, and as a result many have moved on to other characters that have more immediately interesting prospects like the Rogue Chozo General.

If Sylux is to be a strong contender again, they need to get their selling point out with their next game. Teases and promises can only go so far to sell the character anymore, especially if characters like the Rogue Chozo General maintain their importance and presence from Dread onwards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing about Sylux support is it's like it was time displaced from the years following Prime 4's release and not the current time of it not yet having happened. The argument was that he would have a bigger role in the future and it's like... yeah, maybe... but we actually need to get there first.

And now, ironically enough, Metroid is teetering on the precipice where if we get another character before some other series get attention people will start grumbling about its quantity.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Now that Metroid has two new characters in Ridley and Dark Samus, and Metroid is showing new exciting characters that actually have plot importance, why would one support Sylux unless you were a Sylux super fan?

Its amazing that with Metroid dread, we might finally get in a timeline where there might be a new demand for metroid character representation.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Soma Cruz as CP11? I see nothing wrong with that.

Soma_Cruz_Normal.png

And this would be the closest thing to (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow spoilers) play as Dracula.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I find it very funny as a non metroid fan.
"Don't worry guys Sylux will be important we just have to wait for Prime 4"
Cue announcement of Dread. Dread releases soon. No Prime 4 game footage to speak of. Dread shows off tall birdman. Tall birdman takes over.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The other thing that really helps the Chozo General is that the Chozo are practically the biggest background lore central to the Metroid universe.
  • The Chozo created the titular Metroids to exterminate the major threat of Fusion, the X-Parasites, and also created the major Metroid villain Mother Brain, who would become probably the most powerful Space Pirate leader.
  • They also were part of Tallon IV, which was impacted by a Leviathan from Phaaze, and they worked to prevent the spread of Phazon on their planet, and sealed Metroid Prime, who would become the central antagonist of the Prime series and would become Dark Samus.
  • They have met and shared with the Luminoth from Prime 2, created SkyTown and the Elysians of Elysia and also shared their knowledge and wisdom with the Bryyonians of Bryyo from Prime 3.
  • They not only took in Samus when her parents were killed by Ridley when she was a child, but they also created Samus' Power Suit and equipment and added their DNA to her. Part of the Galactic Federation's equipment was Chozo technology reverse engineered. And if you take in the Metroid manga, the Chozo did work alongside the Galactic Federation while they were alive(and kept the X-Parasites a secret from them to avoid the possibility of temptation).
  • Now you have them playing an actual role in Metroid Dread where you find Chozo that are alive and not dead. Possibly.
So an actual Chozo character doesn't just work for people who think the character looks very cool, but they're practically a dream character for Metroid fans.
  1. You have Samus, the main character of the franchise.
  2. Ridley, her arch-enemy and Metroid's most recurring villain.
  3. Dark Samus, the titular antagonist of the Metroid Prime series and is also a playable Metroid, the titular creature.
  4. Now there's the possibility of this Chozo Warrior whose race is a very central background lore element for almost the entire Metroid franchise.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Never been that big on Sylux, just hasn’t done enough for me to care much. Though, if he gets lead villain in Prime 4, my mind might change. As it stands now hes only ever been in Hunters, which could definitely use a remake as it really hasn’t aged well.

For the time being the Chozo General has the floor, with the Chozo species being hugely important and this one specifically being set up to hopefully appear in multiple games, alongside having weapons that presumably are similar to Samus, the General has everything but time on his side. Hopefully he sticks around as a candidate for next Smash.

Every time Dread gets brought up I find myself more excited for it. Now if only I could get my hands on that damned special edition.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The other thing that really helps the Chozo General is that the Chozo are practically the biggest background lore central to the Metroid universe.
  • The Chozo created the titular Metroids to exterminate the major threat of Fusion, the X-Parasites, and also created the major Metroid villain Mother Brain, who would become probably the most powerful Space Pirate leader.
  • They also were part of Tallon IV, which was impacted by a Leviathan from Phaaze, and they worked to prevent the spread of Phazon on their planet, and sealed Metroid Prime, who would become the central antagonist of the Prime series and would become Dark Samus.
  • They have met and shared with the Luminoth from Prime 2, created SkyTown and the Elysians of Elysia and also shared their knowledge and wisdom with the Bryyonians of Bryyo from Prime 3.
  • They not only took in Samus when her parents were killed by Ridley when she was a child, but they also created Samus' Power Suit and equipment and added their DNA to her. Part of the Galactic Federation's equipment was Chozo technology reverse engineered. And if you take in the Metroid manga, the Chozo did work alongside the Galactic Federation while they were alive(and kept the X-Parasites a secret from them to avoid the possibility of temptation).
  • Now you have them playing an actual role in Metroid Dread where you find Chozo that are alive and not dead. Possibly.
So an actual Chozo character doesn't just work for people who think the character looks very cool, but they're practically a dream character for Metroid fans.
  1. You have Samus, the main character of the franchise.
  2. Ridley, her arch-enemy and Metroid's most recurring villain.
  3. Dark Samus, the titular antagonist of the Metroid Prime series and is also a playable Metroid, the titular creature.
  4. Now there's the possibility of this Chozo Warrior whose race is a very central background lore element for almost the entire Metroid franchise.
Not to mention, its possible this Chozo is infected with an X Parasite. Combining two crucial background elements into one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

We all stan bird boi. Do it Sakurai u won't

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not to mention, its possible this Chozo is infected with an X Parasite. Combining two crucial background elements into one.
Possibly. Or the benevolent Chozo were infected and the warrior found out and attempted to kill and/or contain them. Or maybe there were no X-Parasites involved.

It's going to be very interesting on what the status for the X-Parasites will be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If Samus does get a rework in the next smash bros game, she might get her melee counter. She is all range and the melee counter can create space or even counter attack after the brief stun

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Sylux is to be a strong contender again, they need to get their selling point out with their next game. Teases and promises can only go so far to sell the character anymore, especially if characters like the Rogue Chozo General maintain their importance and presence from Dread onwards.
Yeah, considering this is “the end of the saga about Samus and the Metroids” what I’m hearing from that is “meet the new main antagonists going forward”. A saga where Samus literally confronts the very thing that she was raised by, trained by, and even has DNA of in her is VERY exciting.

Edit: I do really hope they finally capitalize on Sylux but at this point it’s almost a joke and I wouldn’t be surprised if Retro kinda just wanted to start fresh and then Sylux is dead in the water for any characterization.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
If they add Armored Chozo, I hope they don't make em another Samus-like. Don't need more annoying Samus mains online, Dark Samus already was enough to get people to use her.
nope, sorry, they are going to make him like Samus, you will have to worry about taking a fully-charged beam shot to the face literally anywhere on any stage, and you are going to LIKE IT.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If they add Armored Chozo, I hope they don't make em another Samus-like. Don't need more annoying Samus mains online, Dark Samus already was enough to get people to use her.
Considering Sakurai wanting boss characters to feel like bosses, a boss character with attacks based on Samus' powers sounds quite terrifying.

But that said, those talon feet don't deserve to be for show only. I better see some General Grievous grabs and shenanigans with those feet.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, considering this is “the end of the saga about Samus and the Metroids” what I’m hearing from that is “meet the new main antagonists going forward”. A saga where Samus literally confronts the very thing that she was raised by, trained by, and even has DNA of in her is VERY exciting.

Edit: I do really hope they finally capitalize on Sylux but at this point it’s almost a joke and I wouldn’t be surprised if Retro kinda just wanted to start fresh and then Sylux is dead in the water for any characterization.
My personal theory on what the whole "end of the saga" thing is that from that point on in the timeline, Metroids will never appear again. That said, (so the franchise can keep its name), Samus will inevitably be christened a "Metroid," by a Chozo. Remember, the word "Metroid," is the Chozo word for "warrior."

It's not often that the name of a major franchise changes its meaning and I feel we could see it here.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Jeez mate- I spent a lot of effort avoiding Dread spoilers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom