• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh there were LoL and PSO Leaks / Rumors? Neat, I honestly never heard of them before making that tier list maker 😆 . Good to know though!

I put Ahri in since I used to play League, know how big it is and such. And I put Phantasy Star since some of my FFXIV friends also play the online one, PSO2 I think.
Yup, two different 4chan rumors, and the characters in them were exactly Ahri and Matoi.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Oh there were LoL and PSO Leaks / Rumors? Neat, I honestly never heard of them before making that tier list maker 😆 . Good to know though!

I put Ahri in since I used to play League, know how big it is and such. And I put Phantasy Star since some of my FFXIV friends also play the online one, PSO2 I think.

How would you feel about Funky Kong in Smash?

Let me just see one thing first...

Oh yeah! Looking good.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what I remember, I wasn't impressed with Takumi, or really any of the Fire Emblem characters I didn't already know when playing Fire Emblem Warriors. Might be because I never unlocked all that many Support Conversations, and the game's story is just "let's rehash all the other game's stories, but with strange pacing because we're stringing them together and not giving anything room to breathe".

Last edited:

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
No, you're not talking to a brick wall. You're just refusing to hear legitimate arguments about why you're wrong.

With that said.... Which Gen 8 Pokémon would y'all like yo see the most? I'm personally predicting Cinderace, but I think Grimmsnarl and Toxtricity would be much cooler.
From Generation 8, for me it would go:
1. Toxtricity - A unique (for Smash) blend of having like a punk rocker vibe going on, poison attacks, and some familiar Electric themed moves too.

2. Grimmsnarl - I'm not even sure how Grimmsnarl -would- look fighting in Smash. A lot of tricky / trap themed gameply involving Prankster? I know in Battlespot Singles some use him to set up Barriers and such, maybe he could be a jack of all trades with some shields, some thunder wave, some big, meaty claws Spirit Break / Play Rough. Would certainly be interesting!

3. Cinderace - I actually think Cinderace could have a neat moveset! Mix of the Pyro Ball obviously, but throw in some Iron Head, Bounce, High Jump Kick. I wonder how Libero could be interpreted in Smash. Like, after you use Iron Head, you're slower but are heavier since you chance to Steel type? Might be too similar to Shulk honestly but it's something 🤔

4. Urshifu - Not very new / exciting since we just got Kazuya, but personally I would still love to beat up Pikachu as Urshifu 😆

Also, not Gen 8, but shout outs to Tsareena from Gen 7. I just think it would be neat 😄

Yup, two different 4chan rumors, and the characters in them were exactly Ahri and Matoi.
Wow! Honestly never heard of them. Matoi might be a result of that rumor though, since she's the highest rated Phantasy Star character on Global Smash Roster. Ahri I would have definitely came to the conclusion naturally though. I think she has a slight edge over Lux, Teemo, Yasuo, Miss Fortune.

Let me just see one thing first...

Oh yeah! Looking good.
YESSSSS :dkmelee: I need Funky Mode Smash Ultimate

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Uh, it didn't. It had way more than that. Granted, a lot of it was DLC, but since the ports were all enhanced editions with the DLC included, and the reveal of Fire Emblem Warriors was super vague, that's probably where expectations were.
Their point was that at launch, the only games represented aside from the main Legend of Zelda were Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. 3 games much like Fire Emblem Warriors. Other games did not have any reps until DLC or HW Legends.
And much like Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors at the start did get complaints about the number of games represented. I also remember the complaints when Lana got a Skull Kid costume instead of Skull Kid being playable before HW Legends.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Correction
(IIRC)
The LoL person implied he/she didn't know who it was as he never said who it was directly, but would BET or guess that it'd be Ahri.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
3. Cinderace - I actually think Cinderace could have a neat moveset! Mix of the Pyro Ball obviously, but throw in some Iron Head, Bounce, High Jump Kick. I wonder how Libero could be interpreted in Smash. Like, after you use Iron Head, you're slower but are heavier since you chance to Steel type? Might be too similar to Shulk honestly but it's something 🤔
Libero would almost certainly be ignored just like Protein was. In fact a type changing mechanic would make more sense with Greninja than it would with Cinderace due to the theming (yes I know Libero is a soccer thing, but the type changing mechanic isn't, and Cinderace's mechanics would focus hard on how one plays soccer).

New Metroid Dread Trailer.
Huh. I thought that would have been posted here already.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m pretty sure I’m alone on this but are there any other Orbeetle supporters out there? That is my favorite Pokémon from Gen 8 but I never hear anyone talk about it.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 329843

So every piece of evidence in the context of speculation is inherently flawed as a basis for decision making. After all, it's only possibly true once a character is revealed and until then it's all just educated guesses. That's why it's FUN you.... Green blooded Vulcan! You sing it!

I for one choose not to judge a person's taste. If someone tries to put others down because they believe that they are more right, well I call that being a bully... .

So no, your Magnitude, your mountain of evidence is but a well mapped index of reasons why your personal mw must be coming to smash.

I won't deny you know a lot more about the character than me, Idon posted some awesome material or like that time to split dude he's always great to read but you it's like oh... Pass then a page of others poking holes in your words.

I'd just ya know change it up. We get it lol you love your mw, so how about posting new news about him or whatever but then leave out the troll bait talking about this is why I'm right and you're wrong noise.
That is not how evidence works. How do you all play Ace Attorney when you don’t even know what evidence is?

Evidence establishes a narrative before the verdict or the conclusive evidence comes, it is still true no matter what the conclusion of the trial or the event is.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve brought it up a few times but I’m surprised there isn’t more discussion on a Dynasty Warriors rep for Smash. All this talk about Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors reminds me of how important the franchise has been to Nintendo. I seriously think Lu Bu has a much better shot than people are giving him credit for. The only real hurdle is that the characters are based on real people but they are so divorced from the historical figure that I don’t think it would be much of an issue.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That is not how evidence works. How do you all play Ace Attorney when you don’t even know what evidence is?

Evidence establishes a narrative before the verdict or the conclusive evidence comes, it is still true no matter what the conclusion of the trial or the event is.
OK let's just clear this up if you two are going to be arguing semantics:
Dictionary.com said:
  1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
  2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign: His flushed look was visible evidence of his fever.
  3. Law. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects.
Let's not argue what is or is not evidence. That has never gone anywhere. The whole heart of the argument is whether or not the conclusions drawn by the evidence presented are reasonable, which is likely also to be fruitless, as it looks like it's going to just boil down to "No it's not." "Yes it is".

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I’ve brought it up a few times but I’m surprised there isn’t more discussion on a Dynasty Warriors rep for Smash. All this talk about Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors reminds me of how important the franchise has been to Nintendo. I seriously think Lu Bu has a much better shot than people are giving him credit for. The only real hurdle is that the characters are based on real people but they are so divorced from the historical figure that I don’t think it would be much of an issue.
There's also the fact that Koei Techmo has a lot of competition in general, even with Ryu Hayabusa being seemingly out.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Happy Warioware release day!

Just a head's up, Wario has taken over Nintendo's Twitter again.
@Velveeta Dream is typing...

Although, aren't notable historical figures automatically in the public domain or something? It might not be THAT big of an issue.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, Wario has taken over Nintendo's Twitter again.

@Velveeta Dream is typing...

Although, aren't notable historical figures automatically in the public domain or something? It might not be THAT big of an issue.
Yeah, I believe that’s correct but don’t quote me on it. I feel like the Warriors games have even surpassed Ninja Gaiden as far as relevance to Koei-Tecmo and their relationship with Nintendo. There have been 9 mainline Dynasty Warriors games and 5 mainline Samurai Warriors games not including any crossovers or side games. The three crossovers with Nintendo were all pretty heavily promoted as well.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as 1st parties go, they've all been either to shill a new game, or show off an older one on the Switch (though I could see them try to advertise one of their mobile games). If that trend continues, the games that would be eligible for this are:
  • Pokémon GO!
    • Unlikely. Pokémon GO! is still relevant, but it's a lot lower key than it used to be, and most of its potential characters all have big question marks attached in terms of how they would even work.
  • Fire Emblem: Heroes
    • The most likely of the mobile titles, as it's doing the best out of all of them IIRC, and you'd have an easier shot at adding a character from it.
  • 1-2 Switch
    • The game that screams console bundle game that wasn't a console bundle game, and was thus forgotten, is probably not going to get anything.
  • Kirby Star Allies
    • Kirby is often treated like a c-list series, so I have doubts that they'd give this game a character, but of the smaller series, I am the most confident in this one. Dunno if it's just bias though.
  • Clubhouse Games
    • I don't think a random minigame collection is getting a character, though people did really seem to like it.
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
    • This would probably be what they'd go for if they wanted to advertise the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I don't think there's anything making it unlikely for them to add a character from this game, but it's impossible to predict what the pick would be, and...I dunno. I just can't put much confidence in it.
  • Famicom Detective Club
    • As will all of the titles from this year, I think if it were the pick, we'd be seeing a lot more of this game.
  • Advance Wars
    • See above.
  • WarioWare: Get it Together!
    • Like with Kirby, I don't see this getting it's own character, and like with the previous two titles I mentioned, I feel like if it were the pick, we'd have seen it a lot more.
  • Metroid Dread
    • My thoughts here are similar to those about WarioWare: Get it Together, only this time, I feel like we'd have seen it sooner, as they are trying to get people hyped now.
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
    • It has none of the things that make me doubt the previous titles, but now it would release much later than the characters would, and I'm not sure if that's something they'd want to do. I wouldn't be floored if they did, and it's definitely possible, but I still pretty much doubt it.
  • Splatoon 3
    • It's too soon. We don't even know what's important to this game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Sequel
    • It's too soon. We don't even have the title yet.
So I guess to me, the most likely Nintendo characters are Kiran, Alphonse, Sharina, Anna, Hyness, Bandana Waddle Dee, Someone from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Decidueye, Samurott, Typhlosion, or Arceus.

EDIT: Accidentally posted this before I was ready due to how tab works. Hold on.
EDIT EDIT: OK, I'm finished now.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
New Metroid Dread Trailer.

So what's this community's opinions on the recent Internet conversion about the Metroid Dread trailers revealing too much about the game pre-release? Personally I know Metroid has never been about enthralling plots or character arcs as much as environmental storytelling, atmosphere, and exploration, so I've been pretty okay with it. Just hope some new suits or abilities are still secret.
Samus displaying more emotion in the trailer thumbnail than in the entirety of Other M.
I thought people's problem with Other M was Samus showing too much emotion.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Like I said - VERY RARELY HAVE THEY DONE THAT.
2. I've heard of MvC3, but I don't think Bionic Commando characters even EXISTED in that game aside from cameos.
3. I pretty much just ignore Teppen's existence. It's not my thing to be honest.
So what you're basically saying is...you don't actually pay attention to Capcom releases, then complain about characters not appearing in things, even though they are.

Completely new? More like "Heart of my butt."
Resurrection is no more a remaster than Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, or Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins were.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Ok, I watched the new Metroid trailer, I've got a Hollow Knight vibe from some environments, and I'm starting to think that the Chozo is this game's Hornet.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
What if Conker is the final character? His VA did say he would voice him if he was to join Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Your position is that a certain character is assured, and due to taking such a rigid stance, the only evidence necessary is that deeming characters locks is ill-founded. Not that that requires evidence so much as just common sense, but if need be, one only need look back at the countless examples, some of which mirror yours quite closely like Monster Hunter Rise, to deem your stance extremely fallible.

Evidence doesn't establish a narrative, it corroborates or discredits a narrative. And you think your evidence is doing the former, but really it's just doing the latter.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Wario gets so much love from Nintendo honestly

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Couldn't resist.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What if Conker is the final character? His VA did say he would voice him if he was to join Smash.
I’m probably the biggest RARE fan here but Conker would be disappointing to me. Partially because he would lose his appeal if he was censored, partially because Banjo already represents their 3D platformers, and finally that I just never cared for him much. That being said, Battletoads and Fulgore are two of my most wanted and Joanna Dark would be awesome as well.

It feels bad to admit this as a huge RARE fan but I would unironically rather have Bubsy than Conker.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So what's this community's opinions on the recent Internet conversion about the Metroid Dread trailers revealing too much about the game pre-release? Personally I know Metroid has never been about enthralling plots or character arcs as much as environmental storytelling, atmosphere, and exploration, so I've been pretty okay with it. Just hope some new suits or abilities are still secret.
I don't mind it too much since a good part of Metroid's story-telling comes from it's environments and lore. Like just because it shows us a couple characters, it doesn't really tell all that much about their appearance besides "they are there".

But I do see the gist of "I feel like seeing them in-game would've been better for me if I found them out for myself rather than get spoiled.", especially in the case of that one character. Discovering things for yourself without hardly any knowledge of it and getting a wave of emotion from it is a true feeling. I have gotten it from games like Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls, Subnautica, etc, and it's a very nice feeling, so I can understand people wanting to have that feeling, especially for a game focused on exploration and lore like Metroid Dread.
Conker without the inner Edginess and quip is like Stale bread in the morning.
I'm not sure we'll get to enjoy his character fully in smash because of that
Considering the edginess we get from the trailers, especially the ones who have no qualms over killing characters, and the unintended edginess that is Bayonetta's Mum quote, I think they would do a good job at keeping Conker in character.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't ever expect to see Conker in Smash but I never understood the whole "well he'd have to be censored and lose all of his appeal!" thing.

Like the guys at Smash Remix managed to give him a perfectly fine and fitting moveset that doesn't involve him weeing on people or whatever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Somehow this is really good marketing.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

This tweet is perfection.

I dare you to change my mind

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anywho, back to my list of Nintendo Series I would have liked to be in Smah (in no order):
There are currently no unrepresented Nintendo franchises I think need a Fighter.

Just give me some StarTropics and Pro Wrestling Spirits.

And list of bolstered characters towards series already in:
Fighters:
Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Bandana Waddle Dee [Kirby]

Echoes:
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]

Some All Stars I think are truly needed, if I can only get twelve:
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
  5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  9. Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
  10. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  11. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
  12. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Yeesh. Ok evidence in the context of speculation is leaks. That's literally it and even then it's a strong chance it's fake or intentionally misleading meaning its Weak evidence at best (always vet sources).

then there are (as in your case) connect the dot rationalizations. This part is not evidence. Why? Because it is...

Circumstantial!

So any narrative you derive from leaks (weak evidence) and circumstantial observations is strictly Your narrative and not at all convincing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Considering the edginess we get from the trailers, especially the ones who have no qualms over killing characters, and the unintended edginess that is Bayonetta's Mum quote, I think they would do a good job at keeping Conker in character.
On the other hand though, characters tend not to talk much, and from what I understand of the character (which is very little), he'd need a lot of dialogue to have the same effect as he does in the game. The other character who would probably have a quip for everyone, Sonic, doesn't have any character specific dialogue, or multiple things that he could say in taunts or victory animations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom