• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
It was 2 years ago so I do think counting an RE character out, along with Pokemon and Ring Fit's spirit event, maybe a tad closed minded.

Also addressing the "Rapper Mario" in the room, I honestly think that was intended as a joke and somewhere on the internet, someone is laughing their arse off that people are taking it seriously. The "character with a following in Japan and the West, that will cause some backlash and won't break the internet" is a super vague statement that could easily be argued to apply to any character and "a character from a franchise already in Smash" doesn't fit Kazuya that well at all. I rather doubt you'd describe a Mii costume and a Taunt cameo as "being in Smash".
I agree, a lot of that post's claims are Nostradamus style vague to be sort of catch all statements. But if a random person guess two Mii Fighter costumes, I'll give their predictions a little more weight than normal. Maybe they have no inside source but are just really lucky and will continue to be lucky 😆 😆

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The fact Wonderful 101 is on PS4 should be enough to end this argument
And yet it keeps going on because the other guy throws the "bUt ThEy DiDn'T sAy It" card.

As if any piece of information has to be spoon-fed and that no one is allowed to be subtle in order to be credible.

Last edited:

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
It’s not just unavailable in the EU iirc, Dragalia’s pretty regionlocked across the globe which is counterproductive to wanting to showcase a new series.
Ahh, gotcha. I don't think I put enough weight into the region lock aspect, I'm glad others brought it up.

Hmm, perhaps in version 1.2 of my list I'll put Euden and Katalina in E tier with the other Mobile fighters. Princess Pecorine is also a region locked mobile character on my list in E tier, perhaps that's just a better approximation of Dragalia and Granblue's chances. Also:

-Bump Resident Evil down a bit, bump Doom Slayer up a bit.

-Even with Eggman in S tier, bump Amy Rose down to the top section of D tier.

Also if anyone could tell me a better representative for Phantasy Star and Genshin Impact that would be greatly appreciated 👀

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Do you even know what you're talking about?

No Nintendo logo = they don't even have a stake in the IP anymore.

How many times to I have to repeat it?
Bruh, you’re the one losing your mind over this.

All I’m trying to point out, to a brick wall it appears, is that Platinum Games is tiptoeing around this issue for some reason. What that reason is we don’t know and won’t know until something official is put forth.

you can say “figure it out” all you want, but I don’t have to. I’m not part of either company’s legal teams. So chill before your heart gives out.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I honestly have no clue what the last character could be if it's not a Pokémon. There's just no other logical option in my opinion.

This DLC surprised me with most of its choices but no more!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

All I’m trying to point out, to a brick wall it appears, is that Platinum Games is tiptoeing around this issue for some reason. What that reason is we don’t know and won’t know until something official is put forth.

you can say “figure it out” all you want, but I don’t have to. I’m not part of either company’s legal teams. So chill before your heart gives out.
How is it tiptoeing in any sense of the term? Nintendo has NEVER allowed their IPs in Sony hardware. EVER!

That and the complete lack of Nintendo logo in the remaster in any sense should make it clear that Nintendo doesn't have any stake in Wonderful 101.

"Tiptoeing around the issue" by not showing the Nintendo logo could actualy get PlatinumGames sued for copyright infringement if Nintendo still owned it. And last I checked, they didn't get sued and the remaster is still available in non-Nintendo platforms.

Case closed.

All I’m trying to point out, to a brick wall it appears

Last edited:

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
I honestly have no clue what the last character could be if it's not a Pokémon. There's just no other logical option in my opinion.

This DLC surprised me with most of its choices but no more!
I agree that a Gen 8 Pokemon is one of the front runners. But I think there are quite a few other options. Take a look at my list 👀

One I will always fanboy about is an Advance Wars fighter. Remake is coming out in December you say... Pure homer opinion of course, I love Advance Wars 😆

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I agree that a Gen 8 Pokemon is one of the front runners. But I think there are quite a few other options. Take a look at my list 👀

One I will always fanboy about is an Advance Wars fighter. Remake is coming out in December you say... Pure homer opinion of course, I love Advance Wars 😆
I think the Advance Wars remake might be too new to get into Smash. I also remember hearing it doesn't release in Japan somewhere, but I'm not sure if that's true.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All I'm gonna say on this matter is that Platinum Games is tiptoeing around the issue because Japanese game studios usually avoid discussing important matters like this in public. You don't see them sharing private details about themselves or their partners nearly as often as western studios do, it doesn't mean there's a conspiracy going around.

As for the argument itself, just use the ignore button.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

It's not atypical for a company who earns their freedom from a bigger company to keep it on the dl. Sometimes, yes for brand recognition purposes or public relations you'll see splashes of "now under new management" or indeed a trademark or logo will be upgraded, omitted, etc. Both are perfectly reasonable within the scope of this discussion. Why they choose privacy over publicity has to do with the future plans of both companies and their relationship.

SKX31

Smash Master
Which is why I think we're getting a Pokémon. :4pacman:
Oh **** -

Chaotzu confirmed. :4pacman:

All I'm gonna say on this matter is that Platinum Games is tiptoeing around the issue because Japanese game studios usually avoid discussing important matters like this in public. You don't see them sharing private details about themselves or their partners nearly as often as western studios do, it doesn't mean there's a conspiracy going around.

As for the argument itself, just use the ignore button.
It's not atypical for a company who earns their freedom from a bigger company to keep it on the dl. Sometimes, yes for brand recognition purposes or public relations you'll see splashes of "now under new management" or indeed a trademark or logo will be upgraded, omitted, etc. Both are perfectly reasonable within the scope of this discussion. Why they choose privacy over publicity has to do with the future plans of both companies and their relationship.
Here's direct confirmation: this article, titled "Platinum Games enters self-publishing with Wonderful 101 Kickstarter".

The Japanese game developer has been discussing its desire to self-publish over the past two years, and first brought up the idea of no-longer working with publishers with GamesIndustry.biz in June 2018.

Earlier this month the firm secured funding from Tencent to accelerate its self-publishing ambition.

Despite this funding, Platinum Games is seeking gamer support for the release of The Wonderful 101, with a Kickstarter campaign that could see the game come to Nintendo Switch if it meets its funding goal of $50,010. A Steam version stretch goal will be unlocked if the Kickstarter reaches $250,000, and $500,000 will see a PS4 release.
They spoke officially. Platinum chose to do the W101 KickStarter + ports on their own.

In 2017, the firm announced a dramatic shift in its strategy. No longer aiming to produce one title per year, it would instead focus on creating a game to which it completely owns the rights. By January 2018, head of development Atsushi Inaba revealed Platinum Games was in fact working on two new IPs, both smaller-scale projects akin to that of Ninja Theory's game-changing Hellblade.
Kamiya adds: "Wanting to create our own content and our own IP... Even when I was making the first Bayonetta, there were some frustrations that were occurring between not funding it ourselves and being controlled in certain areas by other companies. We have the confidence and the selfish desire to make something that is ours and control it 100 per cent - we've had that for a long time."

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
I think the Advance Wars remake might be too new to get into Smash. I also remember hearing it doesn't release in Japan somewhere, but I'm not sure if that's true.
😲 Oh no you're right. NA and EU release date but no Japanese release date. Oh daaaaaang.

Maybe I have to put Andy and Sami in E tier with the region locked Mobile Gacha buddies until a Japanese release date 😆 Dang!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Oh **** -

Chaotzu confirmed. :4pacman:

Here's direct confirmation: this article, titled "Platinum Games enters self-publishing with Wonderful 101 Kickstarter".

They spoke officially. Platinum chose to do the W101 KickStarter + ports on their own.
Well there it is. What's left to discuss? Platinum Games is officially a Total Third Party like Rockstar or Capcom really any of them that has to come in the front door now and either bear a **** eating grin or a deep hit your head on the floor bow because you're one sweat drop away from being bought.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know what Nintendo gacha game isn’t region-locked?

Fire Emblem…..Heroes!
Lif for Smash. LET'S ****ING GO! :4pacman:
"ONLY WANT ONE FUTURE. ONLY WANT ONE WORLD. ONLY NEED ONE ANSWER. COULD THIS BE IT?"

Although, as much as Lif would be a more unique take on a FE Swordsman, because villain, powers of the dead, and whatnot, I think Reginn would be the more unique fighter due to her Mech. Although knowing FE patterns, we'll get Kiran, the Avatar character. For his B-Special, he wields a gun.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ahh yes, just what we need, more Fire Emblem....

I'm gonna be real though, I'd be down for Anna from Fire Emblem. 😃
More Fire Emblem is what we need, indeed, we still don't have playable Niles or Hilda.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I agree, a lot of that post's claims are Nostradamus style vague to be sort of catch all statements. But if a random person guess two Mii Fighter costumes, I'll give their predictions a little more weight than normal. Maybe they have no inside source but are just really lucky and will continue to be lucky 😆 😆
Yeah but those Mii Costumes were kind of obvious.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ngl, I'd actually be okay with a TMS#FE rep.
Itsuki having a mix of gameplay of Chrom/Robin for Swordplay/ Zio Projectiles and Joker with an Arsene Mechanics, but with Mirage Chrom, sounds actually ****ing dope on paper

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People haven't learned from Kazuya I guess
The RE spirit event may not necessarily be a deconfirmation; it could be a red herring.
ehhhhhhhhhhhh

While Tekken had the advantage of only one of its main characters getting costumed, if Sakurai were to choose an RE rep I think he would restrict himself to Chris, Jill, or Leon, who were all part of the spirit event.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m perfectly fine with another Fire Emblem character as long as it’s someone I like. There are still a lot of great options and I’d personally love to see someone other than another lord.

As far as Pokémon goes, I think Sword and Shield are old enough at this point that, if we got another Pokémon Smash character, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be from those games. I just happen to know of an iconic Pokémon that fits the purple color theory :094:.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Not to mention Tekken being owned by Bandai NAMCO and the fact that Heihachi’s Voice Actor died twice. With this fact leading to Heihachi kinda being slowly faded out of the series.

D

Deleted member

Region issues aside, doesn’t Dragalia already have one foot in the grave? I recall seeing the devs announcing it’s getting less content going forward which might as well be saying, “we’ll finish the story and milk another summer banner or two before we pull an Old Yeller”.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Region issues aside, doesn’t Dragalia already have one foot in the grave? I recall seeing the devs announcing it’s getting less content going forward which might as well be saying, “we’ll finish the story and milk another summer banner or two before we pull an Old Yeller”.
Yeah. It's clear that Dragalia Lost is less popular than Granblue Fantasy.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Yeah basically, which is why I seriously doubt Euden is in Smash.
1) They'd probably wait until he came out if he were because getting the main character in Smash would 100% give this game a boost.
2) Euden would probably have been earlier if they really needed the push, so as to stop the game from reaching this point.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
To be fair, that Tier Maker (not your list, the maker itself lol) looks extremely biased towards rumors. That's probably why Ahri is the only LoL rep and Matoi is the only PS rep. And I do agree that if it wasn't for Wild Rift and League's IP expansion, it would be a lot harder to take it as a serious contender.
The reason Ahri and Matoi are in the Tier list maker is i requested them. I think Ahri and Matoi have great move-set potential and would be fun to play.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh, there is 99.999% not a chance the character is from Dragalia lost. Nintendo would not invest so heavily in a promotion for Dragalia - a character in Smash, only to undermine that entire promotion by saying the content updates for the game are going to be far fewer- RIGHT before the final reveal. They would likely not cut the costs until after the Dragalia character, or at minimum, would not freely announce the content update statement right NOW before the final character. There is absolutely no way- Nintendo makes some questionable choices, but that's just basic business failure.

Mushufasa

Smash Cadet
I’m perfectly fine with another Fire Emblem character as long as it’s someone I like. There are still a lot of great options and I’d personally love to see someone other than another lord.

As far as Pokémon goes, I think Sword and Shield are old enough at this point that, if we got another Pokémon Smash character, it wouldn’t necessarily have to be from those games. I just happen to know of an iconic Pokémon that fits the purple color theory :094:.
Heh heh, yeah Gengar, riiight, only a dingus would say Gengar has absolutely no chance...

Uh yeah so new version

Put Decidueye and Gengar under Tetris Blocks, uh, I mean, they were always there 😨

Put Andy, Sami, Euden next to Princess Pecorine in E tier due to Region Locked issues. Yes, I still think they're more likely than everyone below them despite the region issues. (Keep in mind E tier is 1 in 50 million realities level of unlikely)

Added Rolf next to Matoi for a more classic Phantasy Star rep.

Changed Katalina with Narmaya for Granblue Fantasy.

Changed Amber to Traveler for Genshin Impact.

Doom Slayer to C tier.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Anywho, back to my list of Nintendo Series I would have liked to be in Smah (in no order):
  • Excite!
  • Balloon Fighter (Honor your mentor, Iwata, Dammit!)
  • Ring Fit Adventure (Dragaux, only)
  • Golden Sun (if not Brawl, it apparently will never happen)
  • 'Wars (legit stage control, traps all over the entire field as specials)
  • Rhythm Heaven (wish it happened in Sm4sh)
  • Panel de Pon (I just want a magical girl)
  • Custom Robo
  • Nintendo Arcade
  • Chibi Robo (the game I wish got that 'promo' spot instead of Corrin, the game that NEEDED it)

And list of bolstered characters towards series already in:
  • Dixie Kong (wish it happened in Brawl), DK Jr echo (wish we got this in Melee)
  • Meowth, Eevee, (and to an extent- Rillaboom... because a sequential Starter final of the final type would do it for me)
  • Daruk, Revali, Urbosa, Mipha
  • Octoling
  • Tom Nook
  • Bandana Dee
  • Alph (or any other one- echo)
  • Toad (Captain Toad, preferred)

I know this is 24 characters- but this would perfectly round out the Nintendo roster in Smash, for me.

It is unfortunately far more complicated for third parties- but if I could just get 20 more of my choosing, that would also help. List is elsewhere.

It was when I first realized all of this that I realized the roster cannot be 'perfect' in my eyes, so it might as well just be fun to see what happens. Characters like Min Min, Steve, Kazuya, Banjo & Kazooie, and even Terry and Hero, would all have been on this list, though.
Some All Stars I think are truly needed, if I can only get twelve:
  • Scorpion
  • Lara Croft
  • Sora
  • Eggman
  • Bomberman
  • Doom Guy
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman
  • Agumon
  • Angry Bird
  • Jill Kennedy