• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So what's this community's opinions on the recent Internet conversion about the Metroid Dread trailers revealing too much about the game pre-release? Personally I know Metroid has never been about enthralling plots or character arcs as much as environmental storytelling, atmosphere, and exploration, so I've been pretty okay with it. Just hope some new suits or abilities are still secret.
Complete nonsense. The only story related thing that MIGHT be considered a spoiler is an old enemy that probably isn't relevant overall. Bird man and EMMI aren't spoilers if it was in the reveal trailer.

If anyone is upset about anything I'd choose to be more upset over all the abilities shown, and even then they are marketing this game to new people. They want to show this stuff. A trailer with basic movement with just the basic of the basic abilities isn't going to be as cool to sell as showing cool movement abilites.

Spoiler culture is kinda ridiculous. Some things would have been a nice surprise to not know, but it isn't OMG SPOILERS like some people are saying. We still know so little plot wise.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Wario gets so much love from Nintendo honestly
Y'know, say what you will about brands and marketing, but I kinda love it when their social media devolves into ****posting. Same with Dr. Eggman's Sonic Twitter takeovers.

"So bad it's good" is the way to go with these things, I say. :4pacman:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Conker's no Fulgore(my top choice), but I won't deny he'd have awesome options. A good jack-of-all-trades in either terms of weapon options, or possibly gameplay style. If not that, then somewhat of a weapon master in the way that MegaMan does it(tons of weapons in general). Not necessarily in the best balanced way possible either, since that's kind of hard to do(Byleth shows that trying to use all weapons isn't easy to pull off. And that's their core gimmick too).

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the other hand though, characters tend not to talk much, and from what I understand of the character (which is very little), he'd need a lot of dialogue to have the same effect as he does in the game. The other character who would probably have a quip for everyone, Sonic, doesn't have any character specific dialogue, or multiple things that he could say in taunts or victory animations.
I don't think that really matters lol. Like I just posted on the other page, Smash Remix has Conker as a fighter and they made a fun and varied moveset for him utilizing various stuff from Bad Fur Day and even a little bit of Pocket Tales, stuff like his Helicoptery Tail Thing, a chainsaw, aflamethrower, a katana, a slingshot, etc. He really does fit into Smash better than people give him credit for.

Ultimately I don't really expect to ever happen because Bad Fur Day was a flop in its era and the original N64 release was never published on the system in Japan and ergo there isn't that much fan demand or interest in it, but he'd be a funny choice and it legitimately would be kind of heartwarming to have him, Banjo and Diddy together in a game for the first time since 1997.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So I guess to me, the most likely Nintendo characters are Kiran, Alphonse, Sharina, Anna, Hyness, Bandana Waddle Dee, Someone from Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Decidueye, Samurott, Typhlosion, or Arceus.
I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to promote Kirby Star Allies specifically, they would go for the Three Mage Sisters; Hyness is a bit too much niche and was initially considered to be playable (data of a playable Hyness were found by datamining) but at the end they went with the Three Mage Sisters in the original game already, so I think they would do the same for Smash.
Also I don't think Bandana Waddle Dee would really work at promoting the game, he's not that important in it, regardless of what people say.
Kirby Star Allies' most iconic characters that would work as shill are the Three Mage Sisters or some of the most exotic Dream Friends, which Bandana Waddle Dee is not one.

On top of that, of the Dream Friends, I would exclude:
-Marx, because he's already a boss
-Gooey, because if he was planned to be a fighter they wouldn't have given one of his signature attacks to Kazuya
-Dark Meta Knight because, despite having potential of being completely unique, I don't see him joining Smash in any other way than as an echo or a skin

So, Imo if it's a character to promote Star Allies, it's either one among Rick-Kine-Coo, Adeleine&Ribbon, Daroach, Magolor, Taranza and Susie, or the Three Mage Sisters, at least IMO. (I would love any of them BTW)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Did he just...randomly say it with no context? Odd.
Yrah its was just there lol pretty sure he made a post saying it had nothing to do with smash, I can't remember if he specifically named smash but I can't exactly check because I think his account is private

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That is not how evidence works. How do you all play Ace Attorney when you don’t even know what evidence is?
Ace Attorney...the game that famously doesn't work how any justice system works?

Conker without the inner Edginess and quip is like Stale bread in the morning.
1631298258763.png
1631298345235.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't ever expect to see Conker in Smash but I never understood the whole "well he'd have to be censored and lose all of his appeal!" thing.

Like the guys at Smash Remix managed to give him a perfectly fine and fitting moveset that doesn't involve him weeing on people or whatever.

I’ll start by just admitting that I’m biased and just don’t like Conker but I’ll try to explain why censoring him would make him lose his appeal. The main reason is that he just doesn’t offer much we don’t already have. Banjo, DK, Diddy, and K. Rool already cover RARE’s platformers really well. Without the edge, Conker is just another cute animal mascot. Characters like the Battletoads and Fulgore not only represent completely different genres but also time periods (NES and SNES respectively). Joanna Dark is also N64 but she represents a completely different genre as well (and one that still doesn’t have a character in Smash yet)
Ace Attorney...the game that famously doesn't work how any justice system works?

View attachment 329902
The characters weren’t really a strong point of that game to be fair.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What's the point of getting Conker if he can't say ****?
He swears less than Shadow the Hedgehog in his own game.

He's more than just swearing, just as Shadow is more than that and guns(though to be fair, the guns at least fit him being raised on a military base and there's enough lore to justify them. The swearing makes no sense other than just "let's edge it up!" as an excuse).

Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely memorable for his potty mouth these days, but Conker has a lot to him that's unique and funny. He's still a funny squirrel with mannerisms that are hilarious enough to fit into Smash. He doesn't need to swear to fit this, and he has other dialogue he could use, or just use "nice" versions of some words, like Darn. Smash is able to get away, nowadays, with stuff like mentioning Hell, Devil, etc. but it isn't allowing swearing, which despite it still being "okay" for E-10+, doesn't actually fit the series style.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
He swears less than Shadow the Hedgehog in his own game.

He's more than just swearing, just as Shadow is more than that and guns(though to be fair, the guns at least fit him being raised on a military base and there's enough lore to justify them. The swearing makes no sense other than just "let's edge it up!" as an excuse).

Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely memorable for his potty mouth these days, but Conker has a lot to him that's unique and funny. He's still a funny squirrel with mannerisms that are hilarious enough to fit into Smash. He doesn't need to swear to fit this, and he has other dialogue he could use, or just use "nice" versions of some words, like Darn. Smash is able to get away, nowadays, with stuff like mentioning Hell, Devil, etc. but it isn't allowing swearing, which despite it still being "okay" for E-10+, doesn't actually fit the series style.
Yeah sorry, the only reason I find Conker even remotely interesting is because he's a scrimblo bimblo that says ****, so I'll pass. I'll take 10 of Gex instead.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think that really matters lol. Like I just posted on the other page, Smash Remix has Conker as a fighter and they made a fun and varied moveset for him utilizing various stuff from Bad Fur Day and even a little bit of Pocket Tales, stuff like his Helicoptery Tail Thing, a chainsaw, aflamethrower, a katana, a slingshot, etc. He really does fit into Smash better than people give him credit for.
Oh I don't doubt he'd fit, I just wonder how well they'd capture his personality. I could definitely see them putting in the extra effort, but they could also not. Either way his portrayal would probably be passable at worst.

I'm pretty sure that if they wanted to promote Kirby Star Allies specifically, they would go for the Three Mage Sisters; Hyness is a bit too much niche and was initially considered to be playable (data of a playable Hyness were found by datamining) but at the end they went with the Three Mage Sisters in the original game already, so I think they would do the same for Smash.
I don't think they'd do The Tree Mage Sisters because that would mean you'd have to make 3 separate characters, and unlike with Pyra/Mythra, they wouldn't be really able to share their normals. Hyness on the other hand, has 1 moveset, and would also include The Three Mage Sisters, so they get their time in the spotlight anyway. I also wouldn't consider him niche (as far as the game's concerned anyway), as he is a major player in the plot and does leave an impression when he shows up.

Also I don't think Bandana Waddle Dee would really work at promoting the game, he's not that important in it, regardless of what people say.
Kirby Star Allies' most iconic characters that would work as shill are the Three Mage Sisters or some of the most exotic Dream Friends, which Bandana Waddle Dee is not one.
Actually, I think it's the opposite. The Three Mage Sisters obviously work because this is the game that they're from, but the Dream Friends from the other games don't appear until later on in the game, whereas Bandana Waddle Dee is the first one you recruit, so players are much more likely to have seen him than any of the others (or at the very least, he's the only one that players are guaranteed to have seen in action). Bandana Waddle Dee is also the only character flexible enough to use Kirby Star Allies's mechanics should they want to go down that route.

-Gooey, because if he was planned to be a fighter they wouldn't have given one of his signature attacks to Kazuya
Eeeeeeh I wouldn't say that they gave one of Gooey's attacks to Kazuya so much as Kazuya had a similar attack to Gooey to begin with. Even so despite both being electric beams, they'd be very different moves, and frankly, if anyone tried to argue that Gooey is similar to Kazuya beyond the literal action of those two specific attacks, I would lose all faith in this community.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah sorry, the only reason I find Conker even remotely interesting is because he's a scrimblo bimblo that says ****, so I'll pass. I'll take 10 of Gex instead.
That's fair. Everybody has something that makes them love a character. I love his weapons options. Albeit, that's also what made me find Shadow hilarious(the minor swearing also helped a bit, but yeah).

I don't know what Smash would even be able to get away with in its current state. Damn? Obviously nothing like the s or f word regardless. That's above 10+. I am trying to remember if he says anything but those three words. Well, piss as well(but that couldn't be gotten away with in Shadow, so unlikely in Smash too).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Y'know, say what you will about brands and marketing, but I kinda love it when their social media devolves into ****posting. Same with Dr. Eggman's Sonic Twitter takeovers.

"So bad it's good" is the way to go with these things, I say. :4pacman:
Maybe they're taunting WahHahaha or maybe he is them :O

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t get why the censor argument is used for Conker? Yeah there’s some vulgar things he does, but there’s also good stuff that fits Smash just fine; as for his swearing, iirc he barely swears at all, that’s mostly the other characters in his game. He may have some dirty stuff but most of his dialogue is fine, he’s not like a sailor mouth.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My biggest issue with the conversation is that people seem to be conflating edgy humour with swearing. They often go hand in hand sure, but swearing isn't required to be edgy, and I don't just mean in the angsty pre-teen "crawling in my skin" sort of way.

That's fair. Everybody has something that makes them love a character. I love his weapons options. Albeit, that's also what made me find Shadow hilarious(the minor swearing also helped a bit, but yeah).

I don't know what Smash would even be able to get away with in its current state. Damn? Obviously nothing like the s or f word regardless. That's above 10+. I am trying to remember if he says anything but those three words. Well, piss as well(but that couldn't be gotten away with in Shadow, so unlikely in Smash too).
Well heck is starting to appear quite a bit, so he could probably say that.

Well, I mean the actual swear word, but like...I don't like swearing.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t get why the censor argument is used for Conker? Yeah there’s some vulgar things he does, but there’s also good stuff that fits Smash just fine; as for his swearing, iirc he barely swears at all, that’s mostly the other characters in his game. He may have some dirty stuff but most of his dialogue is fine, he’s not like a sailor mouth.
I think it’s because of the fact that his vulgarity is what made him memorable in the first place. Take that out and he doesn’t really stand out at all. I’m not sure what he would offer that someone like Crash or Rayman wouldn’t do better (and I don’t particularly want either of them either).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In terms of just gameplay some sort of use with context sensitive pads would make Conker stand out, though good luck trying to make that whole mechanic work easily.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think it’s because of the fact that his vulgarity is what made him memorable in the first place. Take that out and he doesn’t really stand out at all. I’m not sure what he would offer that someone like Crash or Rayman wouldn’t do better (and I don’t particularly want either of them either).
I talk about the game's ending in the spoiler, but IIRC it has nothing to do with the rest of the game's plot, so I guess read at your own discretion.
I dunno, I feel like a character that has called up his game devs and blackmailed them into giving him a rocket launcher (or something like that) in response to the game crashing would be able to stand out pretty easily.

Shroob

Sup?
Conker in Smash? :grin:

Conker not being able to bring The Great Mighty Poo in as a stage song? :mad:

The vulgarity and shock factor of Conker's Bad Fur Day really carries the game to be blunt, it's the joke of "Cute platform mascot characters saying and doing heinous ****" that gives the game its charm and lasting appeal. Without that, the game just becomes toothless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What's the point of adding Bayonetta if you have to re-proportion her, significantly tone down her nakedness, and sanitize her catchphrase? Well whatever the point may be, it's certainly gotten people to stop complaining about those differences.

People actin like Smash is a script and not a game that barely uses dialogue.

How will characters work without swearing? Idk, probably with whatever arsenal they can bring from their games that is completely divorced from their actual language (y'know, the part related to gameplay), and by saying things they said in their games that aren't laden with profanity?

You can still have Conker stagger around, crack jokes, be insulting, slur his speech, use fart and burp gags, and use most of his more ridiculous weaponry. You can still be vulgar without being profane.

Ivander

Smash Legend
He was the character who swore the least in his own game.
I was about to say, I think he only swore like twice or three times. One was during the army part where they mimic Saving Private Ryan and Conker does the "Get me the hell out of here" bit and the 2nd time was when Berri was killed and he said, "You son of a *****" to her killer. There might have been a 3rd time during the Dinosaur world, but I can't remember if he did or not.
But otherwise, he himself was very hardly vulgar. It was the rest of the characters in his game who were incredibly vulgar and there is an issue if people are using the vulgarity of those characters as a reason for why Conker himself has to be vulgar when he himself was hardly vulgar.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can understand that, though personally I found the other sides of his character memorable as well (to be fair though I’m not much one for vulgar stuff despite liking the game for the most part; I didn’t mind it really or really dislike it, and some stuff was funny but, y’know, however I did like the Great Mighty Poo :p).

Really the only truly vulgar thing I remember him doing was getting drunk and peeing on other characters, although there was also the vampire stuff and army stuff if you count those (although I guess that’s moreso gore like in some games that have been in Smash), and maybe one interaction with another character but not sure…

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s kind of like Duke Nukem. Would anyone really want a toned down Duke without any of his crude jokes? Without them, he doesn’t really offer much Doomguy or Master Chief doesn’t already do.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Like a few years back
Oh. Here is the tweet, found itView attachment 329904

It was probably a nothing burger tho, his account has been locked since and Im pretty sure that tweet is deleted
Yeah probably means nothing. Still think there’s a great chance of Layton being last. Would be easy for him not to leak since Miller has his account on private and never accepts followers. I should know since i requested to follow him several months ago and still not been accepted lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom